New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

This over the top action anime is now being aired on the Sci-Fi Channel every Monday at 11pm EST. Two episodes, back to back, of pure awesomeness.

Imagine everything you hated about a mech anime not being in one. Imagine characters filled with over the top manliness that there is no stopping them. Imagine the main character going through the whiny stage for only episode INSTEAD OF THE WHOLE *BOOP*ING SERIES! *eyes Neon Genesis Evangelion*

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is about a boy named Simon (pronounced See-moan) and his best friend/non-biological "brother" Kamina. They have lived in an underground cavern all their lives with the open sky being nothing but a myth to them and their village. One day, Simon stumbles upon an ancient artifact as he is digging new tunnels for the community. A mech known as a Gunmen than Kamina is quick to name Lagann. Everything escalates from there as they meet their destiny and kick logic to the curb.

Its fun, action packed and the dub is...good enough. Enjoy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

TTGL is the real man's kids' show. Nuff said.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Saw a small clip of the dub. It's decent, though there's obviously going to be whiners out there stating that it's wrong-sounding or crap.
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateCaptain

The only problem so far is Kamina's voice...not manly enough. He's decent enough when not all actiony and yelling, but Kamina does that a lot.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by drawingfreak View Post
    The only problem so far is Kamina's voice...not manly enough. He's decent enough when not all actiony and yelling, but Kamina does that a lot.
    My only beef with Kamina's voice is that it's a bit too high, should be a little deeper; same with Dayakka.

And I always assumed that Simon's name would be pronounced "Sigh-mon", the usual pronunciation; his voice is spot on for me.

And Leeron is faaabulous.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I've seen some scenes from the dub and I must say that it's decent. The voices seem to fit well - even Furry Char's, and it's hard to make a good voice for a character already voiced by The Most Hot-Blooded Seiyu.

I'll still prefer the sub, though. But I'm a sub guy.

Also, I find the bit at the end of the trailer hilarious:
    Producers not responsible for random fits of giddy delirium. Well, okay, maybe we are, since we did produce the show that induces said giddy fits of anime induced happiness, but if you watch anime you have to expect that sometimes and we're not paying to get that grin on your face surgically removed no matter what, so there. Remember to eat and take in liquids while watching marathon sessions (defined as non-stop viewing sessions lasting more than 6 hours) and PLEASE go to the bathroom if you feel the urge, that's why they invented the pause buttons. Also, chew your food slowly, close your mouth while eating, bathe regularily and always say please and thank you when asking for the creamed corn. Gurren Lagann is a work of fiction and any resemblance to actual personalities is not only purely coincidental, but also indicated that people who see said resemblances are probably living way too deep in their own fantasy worlds. Do not attempt to imitate actions or behaviour seen on this show, unless you are a really hot babe who wants to dress like Yoko, in which case we're all for it. Gurren Lagann available via the finest video retailers, if they don't have Gurren Lagann tell them to get it for you. Now!
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-07-29 at 02:06 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

I heard Sci-fi is clipping some scenes to make room for more commercials, which is pretty fail. Dub isn't bad though.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

8. - Top - End - #8

and it's hard to make a good voice for a character already voiced by The Most Hot-Blooded Seiyu.
    Wrong, it's easy: Brett Weaver. The man's CV should read "I voice screaming crazies". Sadly, when the rights went to Bandai, he was dropped from Kamina's role. I emailed him about it, and he said something about "They didn't want to pay for my travel fees" or something like that. Such a pity.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a wonderful show that just keeps getting more and more wonderful as time goes by. It should come with a warning though. Some people might not be able to handle that much awesome, and will explode.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

10. - Top - End - #10

Nice that they dubbed, but it just does not sound the same, like, a lot less "hype".

BAKERO!!!!!!!!!!!! (impossible) has to be uttered in Jappo!

By the way, I loved the message at the end of the trailer.

Oh and yesterday jogging in the Rehberge Park (Berlin Wedding) i stumbled upon this.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1088/...97a5b2.jpg?v=0

What do you think my reaction was? I had like the biggest adrenaline shot in weeks...

Ossian
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I just watched TTGL the other week so... I don't actually care that it's being shown on TV. But it is cool! Super-cool. Because TTGL is super-cool.

I always thought, though, that they should have taken a page out of Escaflowne's book and made Lord Genome secretly Charles Darwin.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Brett Weaver would have been better. That is all.

Okay, it's not all, 'cause I'll still say it's a pretty good dub (although the YouTube video appears to have been hacked together from Japanese video and the recording of a screening). I'll probably wait for the full dual-audio DVDs rather than try to catch it on Sci-Fi though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

13. - Top - End - #13

Here's what stoped me from becoming a TTGL fanboy:

Good Guys: Crap, we've completely fallen on the bad guy's trap, and they can now easily wipe us out!

Bad guys: Nah, we're just gonna make you feel sorrowfull.

Good guys: Hmm, you killed half our team, claimed that you wanted to keep dominating the universe, and now you're not gonna finish us?

Bad guys:Yes, all we'll gonna do is make you feel sorrowfull

Good guys:Like, we're coming up with a plan to get out of this trap, still sure you don't want to deliver the killing blow?

Bad guys: No, please, go ahead, the directors will murder my family if I don't let you win.

Good guys:We'll murder your family anyway if we get out of here.

Bad guys: Well, yeah, but the directors didn't remember giving me brains, so I really can't win this.

Good guys: Sigh. All right. Now, let's win by destroying several galaxies obliterating countless civilizations!

The good guys could never lose because they have a plot shield rivaliring with squirrel girl. Simple as that. Not even Hellsing was ever such a one sided fight.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-07-29 at 10:16 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I could try refuting all of your points there, or I could just do as the writers intended, sit back, and enjoy the ridiculousness that you're pointing out.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post

Good Guys: Crap, we've completely fallen on the bad guy's trap, and they can now easily wipe us out!

Good guys: Hmm, you killed half our team, claimed that you wanted to keep dominating the universe, and now you're not gonna finish us?

Good guys:Like, we're coming up with a plan to get out of this trap, still sure you don't want to deliver the killing blow?

Bad guys: No, please, go ahead, the directors will murder my family if I don't let you win.

Bad guys: Well, yeah, but the directors didn't remember giving me brains, so I really can't win this.

Good guys: Sigh. All right. Now, let's win by destroying several galaxies obliterating countless civilizations!

The good guys could never lose because they have a plot shield rivaliring with squirrel girl. Simple as that. Not even Hellsing was ever such a one sided fight.

:)

Look, your post makes a lot of sense. I mean, you reason well.

TTGL is about kicking reason to the curb!

TTGL then kick your post to the curb with a milky way sized SUPER GIGA DURILLLU!!! (come on, can you not appreciate the beauty of that? Milky Way sized!)

O.
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

16. - Top - End - #16

The show is meant to be campy and ridiculous. That's why the robots never get more complicated than...

1. Push that lever over on your right/left/wherever.
    2. Make sure to have burning spirit/whatever.

That whole Galaxy Technique is just there to be cool, Moral Dissonance aside. The characters are too hot-blooded to care about insignificant non-human potential civilizations!
    In real life that is.

17. - Top - End - #17

The show isn't about the good guys losing, it's about them triumphing over impossible odds. This is hardly a new concept.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    That whole Galaxy Technique is just there to be cool, Moral Dissonance aside.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the final battle took place in anti-spiral space. No civilisations there. Apart from anti-spirals, but they're evil.

And the good guys didn't win because of plot shield. They won because they had the BURNING SPIRIT! And in TTGL, it's the thing that matters most.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

EDIT: Tengu made my post redundant. I hate him.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2008-07-29 at 01:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the final battle took place in anti-spiral space. No civilisations there. Apart from anti-spirals, but they're evil.

And the good guys didn't win because of plot shield. They won because they had the BURNING SPIRIT! And in TTGL, it's the thing that matters most.
    Hmm, I guess destroying Always Chaotic Evil maybe-civilizations are acceptable and I guess in the show a spirit that's burning enough will protect anyone from anything... And make you the biggest badass in a mech ever to become President in other cases.
    In real life that is.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    Hmm, I guess destroying Always Chaotic Evil maybe-civilizations are acceptable and I guess in the show a spirit that's burning enough will protect anyone from anything... And make you the biggest badass in a mech ever to become President in other cases.
    Are you referring to Simon or to Michael Wilson?

I was also under the impression, though I could be wrong, that the space they were fighting in was either a) created by the Anti-Spiral for the battle or b) the Anti-Spiral's home universe, which was purged of all or almost all sapient life other than their little collective, as per policy.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-07-29 at 01:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

So I read the Wikipedia page, and I suppose it says horrible things about me that I actually agree with the bad guys in this show. I mean, keeping the universe from collapsing into a singularity doesn't strike me as a particularly nefarious goal.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

What makes them evil is not their goal, but their methods.

Seriously, have you never seen any setting where the bad guys are like that?
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-07-29 at 01:39 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Also. Here be spoilers - this thread is already full of them, but meh...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anti-Spirals believe that the universe will collapse in a singularity because of Spiral beings, and even though their calculations show that it HAS to happen, Simon made it not happen. The first, very confusing scene of the series is a hypothetical "what if", showing Simon waging war against all the other Spirals (who end up their friends at the actual end of the series) and causing the singularity by what is probably a mistake.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

And not only that, the value of the universe is pretty dubious when there is no sentient life, or even just life with the potential to evolve sentience. I mean it is there, but without life to observe it and interact with it, it could just as well not exist. The point of preventing it from collapsing is to prevent people from dying, if you kill all the people then you have only changed the way life goes extinct. Because really what is the point of having a lot of spheres spinning around by themselves? What is to be gained from ensuring that if life does not factor into the equation?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Good guys: Sigh. All right. Now, let's win by destroying several galaxies obliterating countless civilizations![/I]

Did you miss the part where
    Spoiler
    Show
    they were fighting in an alternate universe that the AntiSpirals used as their own prison? No innocent lives were lost there in that final battle.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else thinks that people who complain about the ending to TTGL are whiners?

Spoiler
    Show
    Neither Nia nor Simon were saddened - only the audience was. And Simon does not become a hobo! He's some sort of a traveling mystic/hero.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anti-Spirals believe that the universe will collapse in a singularity because of Spiral beings, and even though their calculations show that it HAS to happen, Simon made it not happen. The first, very confusing scene of the series is a hypothetical "what if", showing Simon waging war against all the other Spirals (who end up their friends at the actual end of the series) and causing the singularity by what is probably a mistake.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems to me that so far it's simply delaying the inevitable. Unless one invents true hammer space or something.

Btw, are you sure it was a hypothetical future? I figured they were showing the past where Simon's distant ancestor was making his last stand against the anti-spirals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neither Nia nor Simon were saddened - only the audience was. And Simon does not become a hobo! He's some sort of a traveling mystic/hero.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well kind of hard to imagine two people loving each other and not feeling pain when their forced to separate prematurely. Simon became a traveling... something, but it's hard to imagine him doing anything significant while hiding from his friends. I imagine he inspired a mind or two, but Yoko probably did far better in that area being a teacher and all.
    Last edited by WarriorTribble; 2008-07-29 at 05:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I really really love this series. I don't usually like mecha series, but this was just too damn good.

A few thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nia becoming the messenger of the Anti-Spirals just feels like the writers going out of their way in order to make sure that there would always be a damsel in distress.

Viral can pilot the Lagann despite the series repeatedly stating that Beastmen can't use Spiral energy. I know it's simply to be awesome, but what is he in there for if Simon is already used to piloting it on his own?

The later forms of the Gurren Lagann get very little screen time. I mean, the Arc-Gurren-Lagann appears for less than half an hour of screen-time before they try to move on to the Chouginga Gurren-Lagann. Then once they get it going, it's suddenly the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

I understand why Darry and Gimmy are with the group when they go to attack the Anti-Spirals, but weren't there a bunch of other Gulaparl pilots? Wouldn't there be some of them on the Chouginga Dai-Gurren as well?
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-07-29 at 05:53 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Are you referring to Simon or to Michael Wilson?

I was also under the impression, though I could be wrong, that the space they were fighting in was either a) created by the Anti-Spiral for the battle or b) the Anti-Spiral's home universe, which was purged of all or almost all sapient life other than their little collective, as per policy.
    Either...

It's been a while since I saw the series. Might have missed a few details.
    In real life that is.