New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Guild of Honorable Interplanar Entrepreneurs IC

Alshibboruth

Alshibboruth nodded his assent, Agreed... Sigil would be... the logical place... to begin inquiries.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Syssis

Syssis has most of her magic equipment in her Handy Haversack, and finishes gathering up spell components and all of her scrolls. She also grabs her Cloak of Resistance, an unassuming plain black one that was somewhat out of place for her, but she wasn't too interested in making a fashion statement in the middle of a fight. Finally, she grabs her notebooks in order to record the nature of this hunt, as well as a few changes of clothes. After that, she makes her way to the portal leading to the halfling tavern, waiting for Kalender.
    Last edited by Rarkasha; 2008-08-07 at 05:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

(color change)"Well then, shall we?" He asks, motioning the aboleth toward the portals.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Syssis

Syssis motions for Kalender to stop when he reaches the portal. She looks serious again, her arms crossed, saying" So, I figured out a little more about our employer. I didn't get it at first, but I recognized the name 'Unseelie" right away. They're fey, specifically the kind that will do anything, as long as they think it's amusing. And they have a dark sense of humor. Of course, I suppose you could say the same about me, being a greedy fey creature myself. Still, the amount of power they have means they can get away with more, so I wouldn't trust them at all. They're not... evil, I suppose, they're as likely to pay us in full as well as kill us, but generally, once you attract the attention of the Unseelie court, they either kill you or use you.

It could still be worth the money, maybe. We just need to make sure they can't hold onto us. I have a few contingencies, but we should try to keep things on neutral ground as much as possible."

With that out of the way, she relaxes a bit, and smiles. She looks off into space as different scenarios and plans of action play out in her mind," I don't trust them, but this could be fun, don't you think? Working with, or against, people like me gives me both chills and excitement," she looks at Kalender," you could even say I enjoy flirting with death on occasion, if you'll pardon the pun."
    Last edited by Rarkasha; 2008-08-09 at 11:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

Arzuc

Arzuc's room was exquisite. That which had been left behind by the vampire lord had been quickly seized by him, as much as he could anyway. A great deal of the theft had taken place immediately, Arzuc casing the undead's chamber for the most luxurious items almost before the rest of the group had convinced it to leave. Arzuc's room consisted primarily of a large, plush bed and several wardrobes he had absolutely no need for, but most of it glittered and all of it was beautiful. To say that he lived decadently, by common standards, was an understatement. Arzuc spent the vast majority of his time in the castle simply lounging, both in his room and amongst the multitude of other rooms the group had yet to assign specific purpose to.

He had just settled back onto his bed to close his eyes for sleep he didn't need when the death knight started hacking away at his training dummies. The demon tossed and rolled, eventually finding himself thwarted by the noise. Arzuc got out of bed and twirled what had once been a fine silk curtain around himself. While his nakedness was simply natural, Arzuc had come to understood that most other species preferred everybody to look as timid as they were. He clicked through the halls with an intent to tell the knight to silence himself when he was lured away by the sound of voices. Mail had arrived for him and his companions.

"I," Arzuc announced himself slowly and continued to step towards the group, "would prefer to not be involved with the soul slavery contact. If Syssis and the knight are investigating those fey, then I prefer to go with them. Unless it would be more prudent for me to begin looking after our Hades contact. A god showing interest in the Outlands is bound to be news here."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Xietzan nods in Arzuc's direction as the tanar'ri approaches them, "We were just mentioning that we would like to try and complete both contracts if at all possible. So we are splitting up to hear out the deals. Then we will try for the third contract two nights from now. You still going with Sys and Kalender?"

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

7. - Top - End - #37

Arzuc

"Yesss," Arzuc drawled with a hiss and stopped close to a wall. He leaned against it for support as though the walk from his chamber had drained him when it clearly had not. The demon started to pick under his claws. "As I said, I have no wish to accompany you and Alsh on that soul business. I trust the two of you to be capable of handling that. Not that I don't have faith in Syssis and the knight, of course. I just wish to avoid any hassles involving my cousins. I imagine things are less likely to get messy with the fey."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Alshibboruth

Alshibboruth made a distasteful, liquid little sound, speaking quick gurgling sentence in the aboleth language, the cadence of which revealed it to be some sort of curse or oath. I assumed as much regarding the Unseelie. I feel it is likely a waste of time, unless we can bind them in some sort of oath. My knowledge on the subject is far from complete, but I believe that the fae are required to abide by oaths, so long as they are made carefully. Otherwise, we might well complete the task only to find ourselves betrayed by such capricious creatures. That said, their offer might hold hidden other opportunities, and should be investigated.

He paused for a moment, his sighing voice like the wind in lonely, barren places. I am still very interested in the soul-herding contract. I feel that it might give me opportunity to acquire some superior slaves. I could use a larger herd. And, of course, such a bounty will benefit all of us perhaps more muscle, or even magical might, not to mention the bounties from the contract itself I also feel that Hades might be a lucrative contract.
    He paused again. However, I am leery of trying to bargain with a god, or even his high servants. we would be working from a position of utmost weakness - never beneficial in bussiness dealings.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2008-08-11 at 11:48 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Arzuc

"I doubt Hades would be so brash as to attempt any sort of double cross. The fact that we have been approached by him or his followers means that they have found themselves unable to carry out the task themselves. They are requesting our aid, after all, not our fealty. I would be more concerned about side effects of the plane itself more than the intent of the buyer." Arzuc let out a listless sigh. "As for the Unseelies, I agree that they are the most likely to attempt deception, but that is why we are gathering details about the request in advance. If the plan to hunt us, I doubt they can keep that too secret. Between Syssis and myself, even a fae's mind is an open book."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

...means that they have found themselves unable to carry out the task themselves...
    "Unable, or unwilling. Either way, I am more curious than alarmed. Even the devils have desires, and ones that we might be able to provide. For the right price, of course."

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

11. - Top - End - #41

Arzuc

"I suppose that is a possibility. Here in Outlands, however, I believe the former to be more likely. Especially so if Hades is interested in some part of Sigil. That place doesn't take kindly to gods and I would think that their high followers are as equally unwelcome. Regardless..." Arzuc trailed off and turned around, adjusting the curtain around his waist.

He sauntered back through the halls of the castle to return to his room. The demon picked a single bag off one of several nightstands he had scattered through his room and dropped the curtain from his body. Arzuc stepped into a scavenged pair of trousers that had belonged to the vampires and strung the bag to the belt. He returned to the others in his one article of clothing, with all of his useful possession waiting in that bag. "Well then, if the fae and the knight are ready?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Syssis

Syssis makes a lazy welcoming gesture, saying," Ladies first, then," before stepping into the portal. She waits for Arzuc to come through before continuing," I suppose we should have a plan, then. First off, we check the area. Reading thoughts if necessary, though I doubt there would be anything that elaborate. Just read the mood, perhaps. Additionally, determine if the client is there ahead of time. Plan B would be the usual, escaping any holds and making for a public area. I suppose I won't have to remind you that the Unseelie wouldn't be interested in taking us here if they wanted to though. Too risky for them. Never hurts to be prepared though.

In any case, I suppose it can't hurt to look our best. Not that I should need to tell you, but there's a chance we might get a better negotiating foothold if they believe we are, 'like them,'"
    purposely sounding sarcastic on that last line.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Colossus in the Playground

On the other side of the portal, the typical smell of Sigil greets you... a unique mixture of thin air, smoke, exotic trade goods from a thousand worlds.
    This being the clerk's ward, one of the six districts of Sigil, it is also the most ordered of the many wards. Even though the "Law of Unified Architecture" was voted down in the hall of speakers years ago, the Clerks ward still sports mostly rectangular, grey blocks of stone, with Sigils typical metal blades sprouting out of steep roofs.
    Guards in the Harmonium, one of Sigils philsophical factions, patrol the street your portal overlooks in great numbers, as always armed and in full plate armor. Apart from them, as the name implies, the ward is mostly inhabited by clerks, scribes, scholars and librarians, professions always needed in a city with trade as it's only income.
    This being Sigil, the variety of creatures on the streets is astounding. Beings in all sizes from one to ten feet, in all colours of the rainbow and in the strangest shapes hustle along, all busy with whatever it is they make their living with.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #44

Arzuc

"Reading minds? That is easy enough for me. However, looking like a fey will be, well, impossible. My people are shapeshifters, but only because we prey on mortals. I...do not have a way to disguise myself as a fey. That being said, I am sure they will be more at ease if they think I am something besides a demon." Arzuc waved his hands, prompting his body to warp and ripple slightly. A tan replaced the pallor of his skin as his wings shrunk into his shoulders. He shrunk a few inches and his ears pointed; a short goatee sprung up on his chin. In a matter of moments, he was a black-haired, blue-eyed half elf. The incubus was still shirtless and barefoot but hardly seemed to care. "Here's to hoping that Plan B will remain our back up. Lead on, Syssis."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Alshibboruth

The Aboleth shifted into an alternate form, taking on the appearance of a tall, powerfully built human male, though his red eyes, along with the fact that he had a third in the middle of his forehead and that he drifted a few inches above the ground rather than walking made it plain that he was no normal human. Checking the letter once again, he moved off without another word, heading for their destination.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Syssis

"The Unseelie court is well known for taking interest in anything exceptional, fey or not. Just look and act as you normally do and I'm sure we'll get along fine, she says, passing through the tavern and to the main street.

"Let's see then... I think it's this way. Well, if we get lost we can ask the mimir for directions."

Spoiler
    Show

Bardic Knowledge roll (1d20+14)[30] on Black Sails Tavern

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Xietzan nods in approval as he sees Alshibboruth's humanoid form and starts off with him, "I think I am going to enjoy this little meeting. It certainly has my interest anyway."

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

18. - Top - End - #48

The black sails tavern is in the lower ward, which is most famous for housing most of both the cities industry and it's fiends, which gives it a very unique air quality.
    Catering mostly to the more secretive inhabitants of the ward, being named after the heavy black curtains that cover the small alcoves surrounding the dark common room, making it almost impossible to hear or see anything going on in one of them from the outside.

19. - Top - End - #49

Arzuc

"Was that a compliment? Well, I suppose I should thank you for flattering me, then." Arzuc cooed to himself. He, of course, knew he was 'exceptional', as the pixie had put it, but he did so enjoy to hear others acknowledge that fact as well. If the pixie thought as much about him, perhaps the Unseelie Court truly would as well, and then it would be as easy as Syssis had predicted. The disguised incubus stopped in front of the inn, taking in the scenery of the lower ward. He watched fiends go by for a moment before moving to open the door of the inn and make his way inside, holding it behind him for the pixie. "Shall we start by asking the staff?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Syssis

"I suppose," she says, nodding politely to Arzuc as he held the door open.

"Let's continue the conversation this way, though," she says telepathically," We'll ask directly. This place is likely to be prepared for anything intrusive, like alignment or thought detection. That works out for us as well though. At this point, I just want to know how long the Unseelie has been here, if at all, and if they've seen anyone else with him or her.

She immediately heads for the bar, and reaches into haversack for a small, jingling coin pouch. She tries to get the bartender's attention politely, but without the loud, peppy attitude she sometimes slips into. While hardly innocently looking in a hardly innocent place, she slips into a expression that never outright says what she's here for, but that she knows what this place is for. A "I'm in on the joke" kind of grin, if you will.

"Ah, if you don't mind, if you have anything light? I'm bad with the drink," she says, trying to sound slightly embarrassed," and, well, we were expecting to meet someone here but we don't know how to get in touch yet. I don't suppose you've seen any fey recently? He would have been sent by a... Mr. Shay, I think.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Xietzan walks the halls with Alshibboruth beside him, approaching the portals. As he nears them, he rearranges the essence of his soulmelds, causing the features of his body to flare with crimson and azure light momentarily as they reabsorb power.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kalender

The death knight smiles with Syssis continuous jokes, not that it can't be really seen under the helmet (or without it anyways, the lack of a lower jaw doesn't precisely help to smile...) He lacks the shapeshifting abilities of his associates, so he just picks his things from the room (he leaves the lance there) and follows them along in his black spiked armour, the red scarf flowing behind him as he walks with long strides.

Kalender stays behind once they arrive to the tavern and lets the pixie do the talking with the bartender, surveying the varied clientele of the tavern.
    a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

23. - Top - End - #53

The bartender appears to be a tiefling, with ash-grey skin, yellow eyes and short claws on the tips of his bony fingers, wearing a black hood and robe. Nodding wordlessly, he fills a small glass with a clear, green liquid and hands it over to Syssis. Then he extends one long arm and knocks on the door behind the bar.
    After a few seconds it opens, revealing another tiefling, this one female, sporting a tail covered in black scales and a pair of carmine-coloured horns, wearing the same hood and robe, as well as a complicated symbol featuring something looking like the skull of some exotic creature around her neck, the symbol of the doomguard faction.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We have a fey here. And he told me to look out for guests arriving today. I can lead you to his room.", she tells you.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kalender

We are lucky he says, upon hearing the reply of the woman. Please, guide us asks kalender, inviting her to go ahead with a gesture of his arm. It likely is the fey we are looking for. Kalender's voice is very factual, devoid of expression to the point of being almost blunt. The death knight was eager to meet the dark hunter, to see if it was dreserving of its reputation, and causing a good impression at the Unseelie Court would open up a lot of future business opportunities.
    a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

25. - Top - End - #55

Arzuc

"So he is here and he was expecting us. How sad; I was hoping we would surprise him." Arzuc smiled slowly with the kind of cringing horror that his demon blood caused. He looked over the tieflings and examined the female's emblem. A rumble of a hum escaped him as he thought to himself. "Yes, please do take us to him, miss."

"Syssis, should we be worried that this fey was waiting for us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge - The Planes check on the Doomguards
    [roll0]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Syssis

Syssis runs a finger along the edge of her glass, looking thoughtful, before taking a tentative sip. She then starts to count out the coins needed from her bag, in exact change, while continuing her telepathic conversation.

"The fact that we are scheduled to meet tomorrow night and he expected us today worries me. Still, there is the possibility he has several jobs to do in Sigil to prepare for the hunt. Maybe even hire others with the same job as ours. Additionally, there isn't much the hunter can do here without attracting attention. So, too much effort for the payoff, too much risk, and we hardly know the client. I think we're hardly in any danger at the moment, but with fey you skate on thin ice, as they say. Continued employment would be the most dangerous with them, I think.

Ah, it's a perilous line, isn't? Paranoia, too much and you can't live off it, too little and you won't live long at all."
    she says over the link, smiling ruefully.

"Well, if we're going already, I'd better finish this," she adds, having more of her drink.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Alshibboruth

With his usual rather straightforward manner, Alshibboruth approached the bartender the fiendish tavern, inquiring whether or not any word had been left for him.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Xietzan follows his friend a little more slowly into the bar; he had never been to this area of Sigil, and was curious and cautious--maybe a little more than usual. His eyes and ears are open to as many of the sights and sounds as he can concentrate on at one time.

ooc-in case it's needed:

spot: (1d20+15)[28]

search: (1d20+19)[22]

listen: (1d20+11)[31]

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

29. - Top - End - #59

The drink vaguely tastes of exotic spices, barely recognizable because they are so diluted. It's effect is even stranger: it leaves the mouth slightly numb, not enough to impede speech, but enough to be a little irritating.
    The tiefling guides you to a narrow flight of stairs made from pitch-black cast iron, leading upwards into a dark corridor with doors on either side.
    "He insisted on using a room instead of an alcove.", she explains as she knocks on the door, then opens it.
    Inside you find a small room where four chairs are arranged around a round table. On one of them you find an elf, or at least a creature looking like one, fair skinned, but dark haired, in a very expensive looking red tunic over black trousers. Holding a glass of red wine in one hand, he greets you with a smile:
    "Ah, dear guests. Please enter."

30. - Top - End - #60

Arzuc

The demon looks from the three open chairs to his two companions. "My, how convenient. Thank you, miss." Arzuc nods to the tiefling who led the way and then takes the seat directly opposite the elf. He tilts onto the chair's back legs and braces himself with one arm on the table. "It's almost as if you were expecting us. Did you divine it or simply make a few very accurate assumptions?" Arzuc returns the elf's smile then strums his fingers across the tabletop.

"They put in enough effort to know we were coming. This makes me nervous, Syssis."