New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Fatal Syzygy

You all wake up in a well lit room whose bright illumination seems to come from the walls themselves. You each lie on a simple, but clean, black bedroll. All six mats are lined up evenly along one side of the room. The length of the room is 30', its width 15'. It's 15' from the floor to the ceiling. There is no visible door nor is there anything else you can see.

Next to the empty bedroll at one end of the row lies a simian humanoid, wearing a deep green dress, which looks a little baggy on her.
    A large hulking man, who is to the monkey's left, is wearing a blazing rouge, and the entirety of his clothes is much too small for him.
    Next is a hobgoblin, whose clothes are similar to others, but shockingly orange.
    Second to last is an elf whose cerulean dress matches her hair.
    At the end is an average looking human who wears an ugly mustard color 'uniform'.

The clothes are clean and well made, but have clearly been used before.

An alarm sounds in the room and outside the room (seemingly from all sides), loud enough to startle, but not loud enough to deafen or hinder speaking completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Smacking your teammate in the face is always a free action.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The Fatal Syzygy

Bala Surfdrinker

At the sound of the alarm, the "monkey" awakes with a start. She looks around quickly, and leaps to her feet. She nearly trips over the strange green garment she finds herself in.

What the hell? I wasn't even drinking last night! And what is this ridiculous thing?

Reaching down, she tears the sides of the dress, and quickly tucks the back part up and through into a kind of loincloth. She takes a couple experimental steps, while looking around at the other four, who seem also to be stirring.

And it's been months since I've done anything against the law. So if this is jail, it's a ruddy unfair one. And who are these ones?

She sits back on her bed, examining the walls, and wondering what to do about this.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Layla South-Star

Layla could feel a bruise on the back of her head. Something must have knocked her out. Not the peaceful meditation elves entered to sleep. This was more then a little disconcerting and Layla sat up quickly. Blinking she found herself in what could only be a prison cell of some kind. Someone or something must have kidnapped her when after she left the tavern. A sudden thought occured to the elf and she frantically began to pat herself. Finding only a plain blue dress she grimaced, her silver dolphin symbol was gone. Someone had been through.

Looking around Layla studied the company she now found herself in. Two men, one looking to be part giant, a hobgoblin it seemed, and... a hadozee. The last looking rather anxious. Layla blinked, she'd sailed with members of the simian folk a few times, good hands on the whole. Perhaps someone was forcibly assembling a crew? If so Layla would have to have serious words, the Lady help her she wouldn't stand for slave-ganging. Getting to her feet Layla looked to the others, each seemed to be stirring

"Is everyone alright?" she said with some concern.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Vimath Awfulhunter Akanathlai

Vimath wakes groggily to the sound of alarms. Immediately a sense of discomfort overcomes him; as he sits up and stands he realizes that his clothes are far too small for him. With the casual manner of a man of the wild, he removes the shirt and stretches out, baring his torso to the room.

Thinking back, Vimath vaguely remembers being out in the wild...and then here. Looking around, he surveys the motley crew - a human, an elf, a hobgoblin, and a simian.

Turning towards the elf, he answers, "I'm fine. No problems. Shirt too small. And I hate closed rooms. You. What about you?"

Towards the rest, he comments, "Looks like. They get you four, too. Anyone remember anything? Who took us? Maybe. Why?"

He looks around, in vague hope of finding some viable weapon or another. Maybe, maybe not. Then, in the habit of a traveler of the wilderness he folds up the shirt he removed and rolls up the bedroll, placing them neatly where he had been asleep a few minutes before.

"You. In the green dress. You look most awake. Any ideas on getting out?"
    Last edited by MyriadSouls; 2008-09-16 at 09:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Bala remained seated on the bedroll, nodding in acknowledgement as the big goliath addressed her.

No...no recollection how I got here. Same with all of you, then? Crap.

She rises, running a hand experimentally over the walls. Tapping lightly.

Seems solid. Let's have a look topside. Hey, big guy. Give me a boost?

She ambles over to the mountain man and gestures, turning her hands into a basket.

I'll have a look at the ceiling.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the event that there's something to find: search (1d20+3)[11]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Vimath

"I don't know any of you. If this is jail. Why are we together? And at the end. The last bedroll. Why six bedrolls? Only five of us," he comments.

Keep active. Keep moving. Don't lose your wits. Hate closed rooms, Vimath thinks.

Looking at Bala, he responds "Good idea. Going up. You seem light enough."

Vimath locks his fingers together to give Bala a place to step, and boosts her up towards the ceiling.

"Up there. See anything?" He asks. Might not be much use, but any new information can only be good.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Smoothly, the big man's arms heft her to his shoulders, and the monkey woman balances there with relative ease.

Reaching up to the full extension of her arms, Bala falls a few feet short of the ceiling. She shrugs, and hops lightly down next to him.

Nope. I can't reach. Maybe once everyone's awake, we can try a pyramid or something.

A new thought drifts in, and she extends a leathery hand to him, and then includes the elf.

Bala.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Vimath Awfulhunter Akanathlai

Vimath stands himself up to full height, then over the continual noise of the alarm bellows his name.
    "Vimath Awfulhunter Akanathlai." More softly, he adds "Call me Vimath. Do NOT call me Awfulhunter."

At this point Vimath appears increasingly more irritated, and the glances he shoots at the walls reveals that the noise of the alarm is the cause of this.

"I say. Find a door. If we can't. Break down a wall. Get us out of here. Soon as we can. And shut off that noise!"

With all the graceful ease of an avalanche, Vimath starts walking about the perimeter of the room, pushing as hard as he can against the wall both high and low, slowly intent on making a full circuit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

The alarm continues to sound.

Though Bala can't reach the ceiling, she's able to get a good look, but doesn't notice anything while she's up there. Vimath begins to walk around the cell, so far not finding anything ((Rolls rolled on MS's behalf)).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Uriel

The alarm finally wakes Uriel who wakes startled at his surroundings. Where am I? Who are you? He asks to the room at large. After looking around for a second he says I guess we are all fellow prisoners, I am Uriel. He then rises from the floor searching the room and listening to see if he can hear anything of what is causing the sirens.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search +8 Listen +0 no sure if you want me to make the rolls
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

11. - Top - End - #11

Seeing that everyone seemed okay Layla occupied herself searching the room. Taking her time she moved back and forth along each wall in turn and then swept along the floor. Checking for irregulaties or marks in the stonework that might indicate a hidden door, and knocking to see if something sounded hollow. The most obvious solution to a room with no windows or doors was there was a concealed portal into the room.

If none was found that raise several interesting questions. By virtue of the group being here someone must have entered the room. And the lack of food, water, or even a bucket for sanitary needs suggested that that this was not intended for long term containment. Unless whoever had captured Layla wanted her and the others dead slowly. That unsettling thought made the elf shiver. The light suggested magic of some sort, could magic have put them in this space? If so Layla feared it would be beyond her ability to handle, she couldn't call on the Lady so deeply as to accomplish that feat. If someone could...

Putting the unsettling musings out of her mind Layla focused on the task at hand. First the room. That ringing didn't make her task any easier, though at some level it was reassuring, there had to be other people somewhere near. While she searched she tried to listen to it. Looking at the two checking the ceiling a though occured to her.

"Everyone start searching the walls and floor, one of us might find what the other misses. Not a bad idea on the ceiling but more likely will find things on where we can reach" she said to her fellows while searching, "Likewise listen to whats going on outside here,"

Taking her own advice Layla stopped and listened at each wall after she had searched it. Pressing a pointed ear close to each in turn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search Checks: Take 10 +4: 14

Listen Checks: (1d20+5)[6], (1d20+5)[18], (1d20+5)[22], (1d20+5)[14], (1d20+5)[16] (That's for every wall and the floor, no preference on which one is which)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Vykurullus

The hobgoblin had so far remained silent, observing the others' endeavors while he went through an exercise routine that seemed a blend of swordplay and spellcasting.

"I'll help," he says as he finishes and starts searching the room as well, being careful to remain directly opposite the elf woman as much as possible, moving about the room with the power and grace of a hunting cat.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Shrugging with the expressiveness of a species that seems to be held together by rubber bands and fun, Bala joins in the examination of the walls. If Vimath consents, she will examine the walls while standing on his shoulders, ensuring that the upper as well as the floor-level part of the areas are examined.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it can be assumed that we're all taking 20 on these searches...

So...any of you piss off the rich, powerful or vindictive enough to land here? I don't remember doing anything that might make anyone go to this much trouble.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Vykurullus

The hobgoblin merely shakes his head negatively, though his face takes on an even more grim demeanor. "Surely..." he begins, but stops himself and resumes his silent searching.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

The five continue to listen and search. Though no one finds an entrance, Layla hears...
    Spoiler
    Show

... faint yelling. She is able to make out one word: "...attacked!..." She is also able to hear the sound of scrambling feet. The sounds come from the wall closest to where their heads were laying.

Nothing else is found or seen.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

As their search winds down, Bala hops down off of Vimath and settles, briefly dejected, on the bedroll on which she awakened.

Well, crap. Unless Vimath here really can punch through stone walls, looks like we're here for a while. Maybe we should get acquainted.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Vykurullus

The orange-skinned goblinoid does not cease his searching, but comments dryly without turning around. "Is it really a stone wall?" he inquires. "Would it not be the height of arrogance to imprison people within a cell where the door is wide open? There must be an exit." His husky voice seems to resonate within the room.

18. - Top - End - #18

"I think this wall might be thinner," Layla said indicating the one she'd made out a word from, "Something is being attacked and I heard scuffling feet. More then that I cannot tell."

Having finished her search to no avail Layla frowned. Little more had been gained, more then a little disturbing. She had another trick to use though, and might have to. It occured to her she should warn her fellows though, many found magic disturbing no matter its source. Turning briefly from the wall the elf faced the room.

"I'm Layla South-Star, priestess of Nauruida. The Lady's blessings be upon me I do not know why any would have taken me. The construction and light in this room lead me to conclude some form of magic is at work. Our possesions have been stolen, but thankfully I need no material aide to entact the Lady's power. It may reveal more to me then we can learn physically."

With that Layla began chanting in a low voice, clasping her hands before her then moving them in an orderly pattern. Calling on her goddess Layla invoked power to reveal to her the aura of magic. The spell completed she studied the room anew.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spell is Detect Magic. Using full three round study. Spellcraft bonus is +6 if needed for checks

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Vykurullus

The hobgoblin finally turns and faces the others, and pushes a stray rust-red hair back atop his head. Yellow eyes assess each person in the room."I am too used to applying my knowledge only to combat, it seems," he says to the group. "I am Vykurullus, once of the Summer Forest. A glance at the energies of the room is a good idea, Lady South-Star," he says to Layla.

He too focuses his attention a moment to cast a spell and look around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast detect magic with Arcane Attunement (5 left); Spellcraft +8; Knowledge (arcana) +8.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-09-18 at 04:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Bala nods as the others introduce themselves.

Bala, of the Surfdrinker fleet. Clan. Whatever. Most recently from Arang'nor, but now who knows.

She watches as the others cast their detections, a bit relieved that she wasn't the only spellcaster here. Without her books, Bala wasn't sure how much of a help she'd actually be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Determining the spells they're casting, even if she doesn't comment on them. Two DC 15 rolls: (1d20+11)[23], (1d20+11)[24]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Uriel

Uriel says slightly uncomfortably I am Uriel Raphael, formerly of Nefulel, but I was forced to leave due to... unfortunate circumstances. He then leans aganst the wall, nervously awaiting what happens next.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Vimath

"And I am Vimath Awfulhunter Akanathlai. Call me Vimath. I am from a goliath tribe. Small tribe. Nomads. Lived in the mountains. Very few of us out here. In the lowlands. Hm. If we still are in the lowlands."

He turned towards the wall the elf had heard the sounds from. He stares hard at it, almost as if sizing it up as an opponent. Giving a sidelong glance to Bala, he grins; a wild, almost psychotic look passes over his face.

"Good idea. Breaking down a wall. Fun. But. Better find a door first. A bigger space. Break that down. We all fit through."

As if to demonstrate his plan (and completely out of order at that), Vimath walks up to the middle of the wall the elf South-Star had heard sounds from. He leans heavily against it first, as if to push it down, then bellows and follows with a huge fist that hits in a manner exactly unlike a wad of tissue paper.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[14] Strength check to break the section of wall he is at. Hm, I hope I added modifiers correctly.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Despite the alarm and Vimath's attempt at bashing down the wall, both Layla and Vyk successfully cast and concentrate on their spell. They get this information:
    Spoiler
    Show

two auras exactly
    1) faint strength of evocation all along the walls
    2) moderate strength somewhere
    Only Vyk was able to determine that
    Spoiler
    Show

the moderate strength aura is from the ceiling and is from the school of illusion

Uriel just leans there, nervous, but yet somehow cool.

Bala easily determines the spell that both Layla and Vyk cast.

Vimath's attempt is met with a sore clang. The walls tremors a little before settling. Soon after, all of you can hear from the other side of the wall Vimath smashed, just a little to the right of where his punch landed: "Hey, stop that! We don't need you pissants complaining now."

The alarm continues to sound.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Leaping up at the sound of the voice, Bala decides that the prospect of a little more information outweighed the dangers of pissing off their captors. She yells out:

Hey!! We've got every right to complain. You've kidnapped us, and we don't even know why? Who are you guys, anyway?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Vimath

Echoing Bala's sentiments, Vimath steps along the wall towards the voices and yells back. "Thaaval! Rotten carcasses! Let us out! Then we talk!"

He lines up another punch and swings again, this time at the section of wall nearest the voices.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[6] Another fun Strength check!

26. - Top - End - #26

Layla held her concentration on the spell while considering the results. A faint aura from the walls, that had to be the light source given the strength. She couldn't think any power that would warp solid stone would leave merely a faint aura. Which had to mean the walls were normal, somehow. That meant the stronger aura had to be from somewhere else, leaving the floor or the ceiling. There was nothing more to be learned from her spell but she held it anyways, in the minutes it could be held for something might change.

"There's some spell layed over the walls and another effect I cannot isolate," Layla informed her fellows and looked to the Hobgoblin, "You looked to do the same did you learn anything more?"

Though she didn't let on Layla was concerned whether the goblin would tell her. At least she hadn't been stuck with an orc, she'd probably already fighting one of those. And given the situation she had no choice but to grant trust, still it bothered her more then the elf cared to admit.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Turning briefly from the wall, Bala tilts her head to one side, considering Layla's news.

Try walking around. Maybe that'll help you determine a source for that second aura.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Bala's comment remain unanswered, but Vimath's second attempt, weak though it may be, elicits another response: "Stop that, you -- you big oaf! I got enough problems of--"

You all hear a large explosion coming from the right. A door, and then an opening materializes right in front of Vimath. He sees the man who had called out to him looking toward his left. He is wearing brown robes and is holding up a rapier. He looks rather frightened.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Vykurullus

Vyk faces the elf squarely, lips compressed tightly. "It seems to me the ceiling has an aura of illusion upon it." He seems about to comment once more when the explosion interrupts him and the door opens.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Bala

Not particularly wanting to tackle the strange captor on her own, Bala moves as close to out of the room as she can without being in serious risk of getting stabbed. She glances at the others.

Come on, folks. Let's discuss this outside.