New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Emi-chan's Undermountain Campain!

For those starting in the Yawning Portal Inn:

You are sitting in the bar room of the Yawning Portal Inn, the largest room of the pub. The room is crowded with those who have decided to visit Undermountain and attempt to solve the new mysteries and rumours caused by the strange events three days ago...and others who have gathered to watch, toast, taunt and make bets about those entering Undermountain.

All the furniture in the room is heavy, stout wood and the lighting is provided by chandeliers made from wagon wheels hung from the ceiling by chains and filled with thick, lit candles.

On the shelf behind the bar rests a double crossbow, ready at hand and a few other weopons to serve as a warning. In front of these is the barman, leaning on the bar and serving his customers. He is a gruff man, his sholder-length hair graying, and eyes icy blue, he looks strong, alert and ready for battle.

For people in the warehouse:

The warehouse is crouded, dark and a little smoky. The people inside it gamble, talk and occasionally roar with laughter. Everything in the room looks a little battered, worn and either bored or menacing. The small fire place near the stairs feebly attempts to warm those around it. A brawl breaks out upstairs and thudding can be heard, some people run down the narrow stairs to the main floor, flee the building leaving a trail of choas and what looks a bit like blood behind them.

For Nolan:

An inn stands before you, announcing itself to the watching world by way of a hanging signboard. The sign reads simply "The Yawning Portal." The words are carved deeply into the board, weathered to a silvery hue that hangs by two short loops of chain from a black-painted iron pole above the front door.

The Yawning Portal Inn stands on Rainrun street in the city's castle ward, two doors west of the Empty Keg Tavern. Right next to the inn, between it and the Keg, stands Mother Salinka's House of Pleasure, a shabby low-coin fest hall. On the right of the Yawning Portal is an old warehouse often used to meet and great other adventurers and plot.
    Last edited by emi-chan; 2008-08-01 at 12:19 PM.
    My Deviantart

My fanfiction

Thanks to Flame Master Axel for the ninja-tar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Emi-chan's Undermountain Campain!

Avoraelde is sitting on a chair, waiting for the inn-keeper to finish with his current stream of customers.

As soon as he is not occupied, I walk up to him.

Hello, can I rent one of your rooms for a few days? says Avoraelde, Also, can you tell me about how one gets into Undermountain, if you know? While doing this Avoraelde unhooks a bag from his belt containing a small collection of coins and holds it in his hand.
    Last edited by vampire2948; 2008-08-01 at 12:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Derrick Heathertoe, Halfling Warlock

(( In the warehouse. ))

The sounds of the scuffle upstairs brings Derrick to a state of mild alert. What could that be about? Assuming the noises don't indicate too intense of a fight, he tries to slip up the stairs without drawing too much attention to himself, to check things out.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Chronos the Warforged Warblade

Sitting at a table in the Inn, the strange-looking bald humanoid with a shiny metallic body and silvery eyes with no pupils beats rythmically on his bongos, keeping a steady beat occasionally interspersed with a flurry of quicker and smaller beats before returning to the steady, almost time-keeping beat.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2008-08-01 at 12:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

For vampire2948: Durnan nods his head to the customers in acknowledgement as they head to their table mugs of ale in hand, then glares at you while he speaks.

Fer a room, it'll cost ye 5sp per nigh' an' we offer food too. The near'st entrance? That's below yer feet boy, in our wine cellar. Only a small fee to get in there, jus' one gp. For helping ye down on the rope. If yer thinking o' goin' down there i suggest yer find yerself some friends ter look out fer yer, Undermountain's too much fer one person.

Duke of URL: As you go up the stairs the shouts and yells gets slightly louder and you enter the top room of the warehouse. Two men are engaged in a fight in the far corner of the room but aren't using weopons. The other occupants of the room turn to look at you, then look back at the fight almost bored.
    My Deviantart

My fanfiction

6. - Top - End - #6

Derrick

Right. Not much to see here. Though, those who fled...
    He turns around and heads outside to see if he can spot the bloodied men out in the street.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

7. - Top - End - #7

Very well, I shall purchase four nights now...and possibly more later. He replies, sliding the coins across the counter for the inn keeper to pick up. Nearest enterance? You imply that there are multiple enterances. Where are they?

Also, can you indicate any persons present in your inn who are availible for hire? I lack any friends who will venture into the Undermountain complex with me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Duke of URL: Cold wind and rain plets you as you step outside, looking around you find a man huddled in the entrance of the Yawning Portal Inn, clutching his arm his sleeve bloody.

Vampire2948: Aye, there are more, te one in the cellar ere is i reacon the most used an' well known. I dun't know about the others are. An as fer people ter go wit ye, you'd ave to ask around. I only know the regulars.

Four nights was it? Thas fine. Any thin' else?

*He picks up the coin and places them in a small chest partially hidden from view, fishes a key from a box and hands it to you.*

Up te stairs, turn left, go down te corridor, right an then its the room at the end.
    Last edited by emi-chan; 2008-08-01 at 01:04 PM.
    My Deviantart

My fanfiction

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The warforged looks up briefly at Avoraelde before looking back down at his bongos. A mean-looking ranseur (a polearm) rests against the table he is at.

10. - Top - End - #10

Derrick

Let's see if I can get a little information... "You look hurt... I may be able to help you. Let me look at your arm. So... how did this happen?"

Spoiler
    Show

Attempting to bluff healing competence (and concern) Bluff - (1d20+6)[23]

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

11. - Top - End - #11

Avoraelde, having attained a room key and information on the best way to get into Undermountain, gazed around the room looking for likely allies.

His gaze was drawn to a strange metal man (for he was unsure of gender in such things...if they had gender.) who appeared to be playing some form of drum...in the middle of an inn.

Hmm...why not? Avoraelde thought to himself, negotiating his way through the tables till he reaches the table that the strange metal figure sits at, an impressive weapon leaning against the edge.

Greetings. I am Avoraelde Mizobi, I have a proposition for you, may I sit?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Duke of URL: The man looks into your face and smiles weakly.

I'm fine, bit shaken is all. The bugger just scratched me with his knife. Look if you want *rolls up sleeve*

The wound isn't too deep and has almost stopped bleeding.

Are you from round here? Because you should know it's not a good idea to show too much interest in strangers in these parts. It can get you into a rather sticky business. Rather like this one. *he jestures at his arm*
    My Deviantart

My fanfiction

13. - Top - End - #13

Derrick

"Oh, good. It's not too serious." Which means I don't have to pretend to know how to fix it. Good.

He steps back a little. "I guess I'm just too much of a 'people-person', as the saying goes." Yeah, right. "I probably should heed your advice -- you sound like you speak from experience. So, what did you stumble into that resulted in this?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

A young man with dirty blonde hair looks down the street. His clothes are travel stained and close to being threadbare.

Cymran had travel for quiet a long time to get here, and now that he was here he wasn't quite sure what to do next. It would come to him he was sure, but it was a new place and he was busy taking in all the sight and sounds.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Duke of URL: The usual, tried to help a friend but he didn't need it or me. He's in there now *points to warehouse* Idiot. Well, i'm off...careful about who you talk to right? Durnan's a good fellow, the one who runs the Yawning Portal. Trust people he trusts and you'll be alright.

He walks into an alleyway and dissapears from sight.

Estradling: ((You can see and hear this conversation as they are only standing a little way from you.))
    Last edited by emi-chan; 2008-08-01 at 01:32 PM.
    My Deviantart

My fanfiction

16. - Top - End - #16

Having overhead the conversation the young man looks over to the inn. The Yawning Portal what an interesting name. Still it looks like a good a place to go as anywhere else. And it had an absolute strangers approval for what it was worth.

Still nothing ventured nothing gained so Cymran enters the inn

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Amist Halcyon, half-Drow Duskblade
    in the Yawning Portal Inn:

A young woman sits at the bar, sipping a drink. Dark of skin and white of hair, at a glance she might well be dismissed as a drow, however closer inspection would reveal finer features and smaller ears than would be expected of a full-blooded dark elf. A greatsword is strapped in its sheath to her back, and the distinctive crooked blade of a kukri can be seen on her hip.

Having overheard the barman speaking with the cleric, she idly turns on her seat to watch as he approaches the drumming Warforged.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Nolan Brook, Human Rogue

Nolan stands outside of the Yawning Portal contemplating his empty coin purse, he sighs thinking that he would have liked a soft bed after days of travel. He turns away from the inn and walks away only to have a person storming out of the door of the warehouse next to the inn run into him. The two stumble of balance but manage to stay standing, Nolan recovers first and spots an opportunity. Pretending to aid the man that crashed into him he attempts to cut the strings of the man's coin purse while he is distracted and then quickly makes of, mumbling a quick apology as he does so.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vampire2948 View Post
    Avoraelde, having attained a room key and information on the best way to get into Undermountain, gazed around the room looking for likely allies.

His gaze was drawn to a strange metal man (for he was unsure of gender in such things...if they had gender.) who appeared to be playing some form of drum...in the middle of an inn.

Hmm...why not? Avoraelde thought to himself, negotiating his way through the tables till he reaches the table that the strange metal figure sits at, an impressive weapon leaning against the edge.

Greetings. I am Avoraelde Mizobi, I have a proposition for you, may I sit?

Chronos looks up at Avoraelde. Then, as if unsure of the correct convention, he gestures to an empty chair on the other side of the round table. "Sit, Avoraelde Mizobi." All this time he doesn't stop playing his bongos.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2008-08-01 at 02:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Thank you, errm...? He says, as he sits down.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

The half-drow woman at the bar leans forwards just a little, discreetly, trying to listen in to the conversation between the chap who was asking about the Undermountain, and the Warforged.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check: (1d20+2)[5]
    EDIT: whoops, my Listen modifier is only +1. Not that it makes any difference.
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2008-08-01 at 02:49 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

22. - Top - End - #22

Taking in the Inn from the doorway Cymran sees the bar. Working his way pass the other patrons he slides up to the bar. Seeing the Drow he simply nods while waiting for the barkeep

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vampire2948 View Post
    Thank you, errm...? He says, as he sits down.

Not really noticing the female half-drow, Chronos just looks at Avoraelde, then mutters to himself not *too* quietly (DC 15 listen check to clearly decipher) "Humanoid is expecting more information...attempting identification." He states clearly, "My original designation was R66-Y. My current designation is Chronos."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Amist

She frowns as the ambient noise of the tavern keeps her from overhearing the conversation she seeks to listen in on. Debating approaching them, her attention is caught by the newcomer to the bar nodding at her, and she returns the gesture, a little stiffly.
    Greetings.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

The bar man finishes cleaning a few glasses and walks towards Cymran, putting one elbow on the bar and leand towards him.

He asks Can I 'elp yer?
    My Deviantart

My fanfiction

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Nolan Brooks

Smiling at this fortunate turn of events as he pulls the gold from the stolen purse Nolan rethinks his earlier decision and heads back towards the Yawning Portal. A warm meal and some ale could go a long way after all, and a night spend sleeping in a soft bed was better then one spend in the gutter.

Entering the inn Nolan makes his way to the bar and catches the inn-keeper's attention. ''Some hot food and an ale my good man.'' After ordering Nolan turns around and takes in the other patrons in the room.

27. - Top - End - #27

Cymran

The young man answers with a gravelly voice that seem out of place on the human, "Good day." As weird a his voice sounds it has a certain quality about it that almost makes a person want to continue to listen to it.

To the bar keep his replies, "Ale please."
    Last edited by estradling; 2008-08-01 at 03:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Thank you, Chronos. I take it from your weapon...and the fact that I have never seen you around my home-town, not anything alike to you before, that you are a traveller, and therefore possibly willing to help me.

Now, about that proposition I mentioned. I am attempting to get a group of, for want of a better term, 'adventurers' to go into the area beneath this inn, and try to find out what caused this movement of the land, and if required, prevent such a thing from happening again. My motives at my own...and would be lengthy to explain.

If you choose to join me, then i'd be willing to either pay you a wage, dependent upon time spent in service...or a share of the treasure that we might find there.

Any questions?

EDIT : I do not say this quietly. Anyone who is paying attention will get the gist of the conversation.
    Last edited by vampire2948; 2008-08-01 at 03:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Durnan pours two mugs of ale and calls to a bar maid for a plate of food.

Can i get you anything else?
    My Deviantart

My fanfiction

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Amist

She turns her attention to the barkeep.
    Excuse me, sir, could you tell me what that man - she points at Avoramelde - was inquiring about the Undermountain for?

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew