New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Eye of the Druid: Group II

Everyone knows that after the War, the races of the world split up to go their own ways. The Halflings and Humans lived together in the mixed cities of Alaysia and Vasqua, where anyone can live and find a place; the Gnomes went to Jeran, where they set up a great city of knowledge and wisdom, where they could learn and invent, and they set themselves a little apart from the other races, unlike the Dwarves, who became friendly to all, and went to Arkullah, a great mining city where everyone is a friend and the minerals from the ground are the greatest joy. The haughty Elves went to the valley of Nirloth and created beautiful masterpieces of art and architecture, and lived apart from the lesser races of the land, especially Halflings and Gnomes, whom they fought against in the War.

Alaysia, though, has its own problems. King Belzar, after being betrayed by his closest friend, Argon Lascar, exiled him, then, thirty years ago, out of fear for his city, warded off the city against any intruders. No-one has entered or left the city for thirty years. Belzar is dead now, and his son, Alzar, has taken the throne. It is upon Alzar's leisure that you all now wait, a group of people, only just meeting for the first time.

It's a fine morning. There hasn't been a cloud in the sky for days. You are sitting in King Alzar's antechamber, waiting for the herald to come and announce you to the King. The antechamber is filled with royal reds and oranges, with great tapestries depicting legends of old: the High King of Gaminar, the Battle of Venmark...
    It is a small room, as rooms in the palace go, but it is still of a goodly size. Large windows let in light in sheets from the outside. Dust motes sparkle and dance in the rays of light.
    There are several couches arranged around the sides of the chamber; the King likes to make sure his guests are comfortable if he can't see them immediately.

Let the posting begin!
    Just remember - yelling "Who wrote this ****?!" at the top of your lungs is a normal and accepted part of the editing process.

The wizard who reads a thousand books is powerful. The wizard who memorises a thousand book is insane.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FF Fanboy
    Undead have quasi-feelings, too!
    Thanks to kpenguin for the excellent avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Eye of the Druid: Group II

Jonathon Songwind was just a tad nervous as he sauntered into the King's antechamber, though he'd never show it, his eyes bright and a small half-smile on his face. He spun the beautifully-crafted flute resting in his hands with a soft spin, raising it theatrically to his lips. he played a soft, simple melody, a way to soothe his nerves as he thought.
    What did the King want with Him?, I mean, my music's good, but I'm sure there are other bards my better in the Courts.

The young human was torn between anxious self-doubt and the thought of all the tiny thefts and petty crimes he had committed in his youth running through his head. He rubbed casually at the earring piercing his ear, showing a flowering emerald note.

Relax, He told himself. The King himself wouldn't stoop to call on a common thief, especially one who gave up apple-stealing in the market and now makes a living playing down at the Taverns for his food.
    "Fear Vs. Hope. Hardly an even match"

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

A Druid in his home environment is a tricky creature to find, thus it was to the messengers great relief that he was found by his target.

At the appointed time, in the appointed place they arrived. A scruffy lean Dwarf wearing fine leathers and a large dog.
    Well, Zira this looks like the place. make your self comfy while we wait
    And with that he chooses a chair and sets to work on a small whittling project.
    However he realizes that he is not alone in the room

Oh, Dint see you there lad, Greetings of the day from Jak and Zira.
    Another day and another new face
    Last edited by Leon; 2008-08-03 at 08:21 PM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

4. - Top - End - #4

Elessar steps quietly into the antechamber, a small snake slithering along by his side. He looks around the room and smiles at the other two people as he sits down at a couch.
    Hello there. Were you summoned by the king as well?
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-08-04 at 01:00 PM.
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

5. - Top - End - #5

Planetar

Kalven

Sitting apart from the others in the room, the look on Kalven's face makes it obvious that he finds himself their better. He begins to perk a bit as another of the kin enters, but is disappointed at the comradely attitude that the newcomer displays. Certainly we are not all called for the same purpose.

The crimson hair on his head is pressed tight in the shape of the wide brimmed hat that he holds in his hands. Well trimmed hands and a cleanly pressed black scholars outfit make it obvious that he is most used to spending time inside.

He will not engage others in conversation, unless directly spoken too, but will sit quietly waiting to be called before the king.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Jonathon

The bard only smirked at the taciturn elf, a knowing smile on his lips. He promptly ignored the High-and-mighty elf to concentrate on one that seemed more eager for conversation, and the lean Dwarf who had entered a moment earlier.

He twirled his flute in one hand and executed a graceful bow.
    "Indeed Good Dwarf, it is always a treat to meet new faces and ideas.."He glanced sidelong at the quiet elf to the side.
    "At least...some new faces and ideas"He added with a rakish grin.

"Ah and Good Morrow to you as well Sir Elf, though i do not know Your own or Sir Jak and his companion Zira's business, I myself have not been told as to why I must meet the King, so I cannot answer you question."

He nodded and placed a palm on the pommel of his rapier, cutting a very fine figure indeed, but then again...he was a bard.

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

7. - Top - End - #7

Good to meet you two. I am Elessar Sirfalas, and this is my friend Sves. He says, nodding twards the snake as it slithers up his arm and onto his shoulders.
    For the first time since entering, Elessar notices the apparently stoic elf on another other couch.

Hello my friend, always nice to see another elf around here. Who might you be? And attemps to shake his hand.
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-08-04 at 10:47 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Kalven

Kalven accepts that hand that is offered him. I am Kalven. Pleased to meet you Elessar Sirfalas

Spoiler
    Show
    I said he was a bit of a jerk, not necessarily rude :)
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm not sure why i was asked to attend, the poor messenger just was tasked to find me and deliver these locational details
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

10. - Top - End - #10

Finally, the herald steps in as the guards open the door. He is a snobbish man with a superior expression; if you were a head taller than him, he could still look down his nose at you. He must use this accomplishment often, as he is quite a short man.
    “Alzar, High King of Alaysia, will receive his honoured guests in his throne room,” he announces. You are ushered into the throne room.
    Alzar sits at the head of the room in a gigantic throne with a golden back and red upholstery. All around you, more tapestries, golden statues of heroes and kings of old and mosaics adorn the space between huge columns stretching up to a high, vaulted ceiling. Occasionally, stained glass windows let tinted light in to pool fluidly on the richly embroidered rug leading to the throne. As you approach, the King waves away any bowing or other courtly niceties.
    “Our kingdom is in grave danger,” he announces seriously.
    Last edited by Vella_Malachite; 2008-08-08 at 01:56 AM.
    Just remember - yelling "Who wrote this ****?!" at the top of your lungs is a normal and accepted part of the editing process.

The wizard who reads a thousand books is powerful. The wizard who memorises a thousand book is insane.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

11. - Top - End - #11

Planetar

Kalven

Uppon being summoned into the throne room, Kalven rises and follows the herald into the room. Once the king finishes.
    Highness, what can endanger the kingdom while it is within the shield.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Elessar looks around in mild awe of the room as the king speaks. Kalven and he respond at the same time:
    By what?
    As of 9/30/09

13. - Top - End - #13

The King looks at you seriously.

"I know many of my subjects have faith in these wards, but the hard truth is that there is greater magic than ours at hand. Friends, Argon Lascar has returned to jeopardise our city. He is searching for the six pieces of the legendary Eye of the Druid, and he hopes to use them to take over Alaysia."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does anyone want to make a Knowledge: History or Knowledge: Arcana check?

14. - Top - End - #14

But what can we do? My lord, I mean not to question your judgement, but it seems your hopes would better reside in a group of trained soldiers to protect the city.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I gots neither
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-08-08 at 10:06 AM.
    As of 9/30/09

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Kaleth
    Spoiler
    Show

Lets see what we know.
    knowledgeArcana - (1d20+9)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Looking slightly alarmed at this
    Eye of the druid?
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

17. - Top - End - #17

"No," King Alzar shakes his head. "Trained soldiers would do nothing. The Eye of the Druid that Argon seeks is the key to a very ancient and powerful magic; trained soldiers would only serve as dead meat in uniform. And we would prefer to never let him get his hands on the pieces at all, than to have all of them and to have to try and combat him with them."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

As the talking continued a man in a black cloak apperared beside you, the only facial features you could see of his were his cold, clear blue eyes staring out from underneath the hood, he then turned, and kneeled speaking to the king in this posistion.
    "I apologize for the delay but I ran into some trouble along the way, and they wouldn't allow me to leave before I "handled" their porblem."

19. - Top - End - #19

Elessar jumps at hearing the newcomers voice beside him.

Where did you...? Nevermind.

He turns twards the king:

Do you have any idea where this eye might be hidden?

wait a minute... If this eye thing was inside the city, he probably would have found it by now. So that means that it's outside the city. If he wants is to find it, then he'll have to lower the wards, which means...

Elessar whispers to himself, compleating the thought
    I'm free!
    As of 9/30/09

20. - Top - End - #20

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+6)[22] - Bardic Knowledge check to see what I know:P

Jonathon kept quiet as he listened to the King, letting the others blunder into the conversation before him. He raised an eyebrow at the dark-cloaked figure, giving him a simple look over before shrugging and facing the King again.

"If I may M'Lord, what do any of those gathered here have that could best what your trained soldiers cannot? I myself am nothing more than a street performer." He said modestly.

21. - Top - End - #21

"Trained soldiers, while excellent fighters, lack the range of other skills that may be needed. They are also less capable of accomplishing tasks without strict orders, while parts of this quest may contain...lateral thinking. No, trained soldiers, even though useful, would not be useful in this situation."

He turns to the new arrival.

"Welcome, Aresk. Glad you could make it. I was informing your team members of their, and your, quest to find the lost pieces of the Eye of the Druid. I trust you will undertake this mission for your king.

Returning to the conversation:

I apologise, I have no information on the whereabouts of the catacombs, however, I can tell you the clue we were given by the messenger as to where to find the first piece."

He hands you a piece of paper. It reads:

"Rugged Road, leading forth,
    The pathway to old Ellendorth.
    A guide, a traitor, one whose whim
    Leads to better sight within.
    The die is cast, the cards unfold,
    What is it that the future holds?
    Wise, a sage, no memory lost,
    Counselling, but at what cost?"

22. - Top - End - #22

Ach, Riddles. Ive never been good with them.
    But Im sure someone has the where with all to crack it
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

23. - Top - End - #23

Hmmm, A riddle ey? Alright let's see here. The first two lines seem straightforeward enough. Unless there's a new Ellendorth? Well, that shouldn't be hard to find. Someone from new Ellendorth can tell us where old Ellendorth is.

Elessar keeps reading, skipping the next few line...

Well, the last two lines seem to talk about some mage that needs counselling. Maybe that's the guy that can tell us where old ellendorth is.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, no one ever said he was smart. Intellegnce of 6 and all.
    As of 9/30/09

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

Kalven

assuming someone reads the riddle.
    Hmmm. Where did did this riddle come from?
    waits for answer.
    Has anyone else seen this?

Spoiler
    Show

I noticed that my last post I was looking at my wrong character, my character for this is Kalven not Kaleth. Darn me for naming things too closely. Luckily, I only cost myself a +1 for knowledge arcana.

Does anyone have ranks in history? If not I think we need an historian.

Too see if the riddle shakes anything else loose.
    knowledgeArcana - (1d20+10)[23]
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Ive traveled a fair bit but don't recall a place named Ellendorth.
    Rugged mayhap mean that its a not well traveled route - some place long forgotten
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

26. - Top - End - #26

Umm, I think everyone's make a bigger deal then this has to be. Anyone know where New Ellendorth is?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ummm, knowledge geography? For some realon we're not allowed to roll in an ic thread.
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-08-14 at 11:50 AM.
    As of 9/30/09

27. - Top - End - #27

"For what it's worth," the King interjects, "We have pored over maps for two hours; there seems to be no place, be it city or town or island, named Ellendorth. We thought that perhaps Ellendorth could be person; the next lines certainly seem to point to a person."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmm...you should be able to roll in an IC thread. Are you sure you typed in the code correctly? Try rolling in the OOC thread.

28. - Top - End - #28

A Traitor, to whom?
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

29. - Top - End - #29

Planetar

Kalven

I would still like answers to these questions please.
    Quote Originally Posted by anIceFan View Post
    assuming someone reads the riddle.
    Hmmm. Where did did this riddle come from?
    waits for answer.
    Has anyone else seen this?

Spoiler
    Show

I noticed that my last post I was looking at my wrong character, my character for this is Kalven not Kaleth. Darn me for naming things too closely. Luckily, I only cost myself a +1 for knowledge arcana.

Does anyone have ranks in history? If not I think we need an historian.

Too see if the riddle shakes anything else loose.
    [roll0]
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

"The riddle," the King explains, "comes from a messenger. We don't know if he was sent here or he came of his own volition, but he certainly didn't look like someone who was out on a day trip. He was so exhausted when he reached the city gates that he literally pressed this riddle and a note explaining the rudiments of Argon's plan and collapsed. He died barely two hours later, despite the efforts of my physicians."