New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [PrC] She's got the good touch

DracoDei came up with an interesting idea for adopting my Arcane Palm for Divine characters. For fluff reasons I said no, but it was an interesting idea for me none the less. Voila. The Divine Palm variant.

The Divine Palm

Image by Jason Engle.

"You could imagine our shock when the child shot up, hands covered in blood. Truly injuries are not uncommon in this time and age, but in the midst of prayer? We took her into care immediately of course, but what we found was unprecedented! She appeared unhurt, and her skin uncut, but celestial scripture covered her hands where the blood flowed unceasingly. Omen or blessing, we know not what to make of the stigmata."– Excerpt, letter from Carilla Pennywise, church elder, requesting assistance.

Whenever an individual draws the benevolent attention of their patron deity, whether by vanquishing the god’s foes or the god's simple whim, there is the chance for a Divine Palm to be born. These blessings appear in the form of scripture, imagery, or some other form of divine marking upon the subject’s limbs, usually the hands of humanoid races (though more twisted deities may choose other locations for the markings.) These etchings are more than marks of the divine touch however; they are conduits through which the user may channel the energy of their faith.

Much like Arcane Palms, Divine Palms specialize in touch attacks. This feature can be used to provide multiple cure spells rapidly, or it can be used to spread negative energy among an enemy’s army. Indeed Divine Palms can come from any alignment, empowered by any deity.

Becoming a Divine Palm

Divine Palms are not brought into being through birth or reward, but choosing. Only a character that can prove their utmost piety to their patron deity has a chance of being blessed with the capabilities of the class. Most Divine Palms are exact reflections of the ideals that their host god wishes to portray. The possibility of gaining these abilities varies greatly by god, but is most abundant in denominations that value the more magical aspects of the universe. Wee Jas, Nerull and Pelor have numerous Divine Palms in their service, while a Divine Palm of Kord or Hextor is nearly unheard of.

Because of the constrained requirements of becoming a Divine Palm the list of backgrounds they can emerge from is narrow. They are by far most numerous among Favored Souls, who view the capabilities this line of study provides to be a natural extension of their innate connection to their deities. As representatives of the divine Clerics find it the easiest to meet the prerequisites for the class, but only the truly venerable are given the gifts of the marks, and only on occasion. Paladins may very rarely find themselves blessed with Divine Palm powers as well though usually only in the service of more martial gods.

Divine Palms who emerge from Shugenja backgrounds are rare to the point of being rarely heard of, but are still possible. Their non-deistic method of worship gives little veneration to any major god though there is always the chance that Obad-Hai or Ehlonna takes an occasional liking in one. A similar problem plagues the aspiring Archivist.

Hit Dice: d8

Requirements
    Alignment: Same alignment as patron deity.
    Feats: Weapon Focus (Touch Spells).
    Spell: Able to cast 3rd-level divine spells.
    Special: Must draw spells from the Cleric or Paladin spell lists.
    Special: Must be chosen by their patron deity to receive their powers. This is usually in response to acts of extreme piety or exalted deeds in their name.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells
    1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    | Pious Accolade 1/day, Touch Retention | +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    | Sacred Representative |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
    3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    | Pious Accolade 2/day |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
    4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    | Pious Accolade 3/day |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
    5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    | Hallowed Woundcraft |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
    6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    | Pious Accolade 4/day |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
    7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    | Hallowed Restoration |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
    8th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    | Pious Accolade 5/day |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
    9th|
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    | Pious Accolade 6/day |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
    10th|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    | Hallowed Resurgence |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills:
    The Divine Palm‘s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (int), Knowledge (history) (int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
    Skill-points per level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Divine Palms gain no proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Spells per Day: When a new Divine Palm level is gained, she gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever divine spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of Divine Palm to the level of whatever other divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

If a Divine Palm had more than one divine spellcasting class before she became a Divine Palm, she must decide to which class she adds each level of Divine Palm for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Pious Accolade (Su): Upon taking her first level of Divine Palm, the character is inscribed with markings on the end of one set of limbs. These are usually the palms on a humanoid, but can also adorn the tentacles of a mind flayer, the eyestalks of a beholder, etc. The character can channel their divine spells through these markings, producing a variety of effect. Once per day starting at 1st level a Divine Palm may assume the Pious Accolade state as a standard action. This ability allows the Divine Palm to hold the charge of one melee touch spell or spell-like ability per inscribed limb of her body as long as she doesn’t use a charged limb to cast another spell. Each touch spell she casts resides in a different limb. For the duration of this ability, any touch spells she casts are discharged only if she casts another spell with that forelimb. This effect lasts a number of rounds equal to the user’s divine spellcasting level. Any spells held once Pious Accolade expires fizzle away and are lost.

Metamagic must be applied to spells at the time of their storage in a limb using Pious Accolade. Any metamagic effects that extend the range of a melee touch spell lose that effect.

Pious Accolade may only be used to store spells in limbs attached naturally to the user's body. Temporary limbs such as those granted by Girallon's Blessing are viable for this purpose, but a Spectral Hand is not.

The Divine Palm may choose to discharge both limbs as a standard action, either against the same or two different targets. Doing so counts as two-weapon fighting with light weapons and incurs the associated penalties.

At 3rd level the Divine Palm gains an additional 1/day use of Pious Accolade. This increases by an additional 1/day at 4th , 6th, 8th and 9th levels to a maximum of 6/day at level 9.

Touch Retention (Su): Normally, touching a surface with a spell charged to a limb will cause the spell to automatically discharge. The Divine Palm however can prevent her spells from being unintentionally miscast. Whenever the player would normally unintentionally discharge their spell they may roll a Concentration check (DC: 15 + spell level - Divine Palm level) to retain it.

Sacred Representative (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, the Divine Palm may bestow her alignment upon her touch spells at will. The alignments that can be imbued is restricted to her own alignments and she must apply all of them or none of them.

For example, Avia is a Divine Palm of Lawful Evil alignment. If she uses Sacred Representative on a touch spell it gains both the lawful and evil modifiers, but it cannot be of any other alignment or solely lawful or evil.

Hallowed Woundcraft (Su): Beginning at 5th level the Divine Palm’s skills at handling wounds through the use of positive and negative energy receive a divine boost. She adds +2 points per spell level to the amount of damage healed or dealt by any Conjuration [Healing] touch spell she casts. Additionally, she also adds +2 points per spell level to the amount of Hit Point damage dealt or healed by any Necromancy touch spell she casts. These bonuses apply when using these spells to damage or heal undead.

Hallowed Restoration (Su): At 7th level the Divine Palm’s expertise at manipulating touch spells increases even further, allowing her to recycle excess energy shed through the use of her spells. Every time she scores a critical hit on a melee touch spell, whether the target is subject to critical hit or not, the spell remains unexpended upon her spell list. Spells stored with Pious Accolade that achieve this effect are still discharged from the held limb.

If the ability is used against a willing subject (such as Cure Light Wounds upon an ally) or otherwise does not require an attack roll the Divine Palm may choose to roll 1d20 to achieve this effect, succeeding on a roll of 20.

Hallowed Resurgence (Su): At 10th level the power that a Divine Palm puts behind her touch spells is such that their effects can linger, striking twice in quick succession. Every time she scores a critical hit on a melee touch spell, whether the target is subject to critical hits or not, the spell lingers upon them. At the beginning of the target’s next turn they are affected again as though the same spell had been cast on them a second time.

If the ability is used against a willing subject (such as Cure Light Wounds upon an ally) or otherwise does not require an attack roll the Divine Palm may choose to roll 1d20 to achieve this effect, succeeding on a roll of 20.

Playing a Divine Palm
    Adaptation: Clerics clearly have the most to gain from the path of the Divine Palm. Nearly all of the class’s abilities affect touch spells such as Cure and Inflict Wounds, spells that clerics can cast spontaneously. Paladins of all variations will find use in Sacred Representative, spreading their alignment upon more than just smiting. Though it doesn’t play into their specific capabilities at all, Favored Souls still have access to the spells that this class modifies and can make use of the features therein.

Combat: By loading their limbs with healing spells, Divine Palms can keep their allies alive and well with better action economy than a regular divine spellcaster. Though it takes several levels for Pious Accolade to last long enough for several rounds of charging and casting to begin to shine, at later levels the Divine Palm’s ability to close wounds rapidly is unprecedented. Likewise, the Divine Palm can ready spells and charge into combat, spreading all sorts of malicious touch-based attacks upon their foes. This does involve hit-and-run to an extent, but most divine spellcasters possess enough bulk to survive in melee long enough to get in and out.
    Last edited by Soilborn; 2011-03-12 at 12:38 PM.
    There is a Hell, believe me I've seen it. There is a Heaven, let's keep it a secret.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [PrC] She's got the good touch

SHE'S SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL!.....looks good to me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

... I immediately thought about how to role one up as a Druid.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

"She's got the good touch" in google.

First result
    There is a Hell, believe me I've seen it. There is a Heaven, let's keep it a secret.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, first, my original concept here was a cleric who was going to end up Cure Critical Wounds-cleaving there way through hoards of zombies. I can't tell if that would work with Hallowed Restoration (not saying it has to, just asking if it does really). In any case, you seem to have taken it in a slightly different direction... which is actually pretty groovy as a social phenomenon!

I note that you don't give or require TWF... I guess with Touch ACs and cleric BABs being what they are, this makes sense.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah I decided to take this in a different direction. It's not a clone, just derivative. Went more for a single-target approach with this one. Most divine spell casters would be entering this PrC with more health and likely more armor than a Wizard or Sorcerer going into Arcane Palm, so there's less of a kill-or-die feel to it.

As for Hallowed Restoration, the spell is discharged from the limb and resolves it's effect normally. The only difference is that when it procs the spell is returned to her prepared spell list as though it were never cast. The caster could potentially cast Inflict Serious Wounds three times in a row and, if through some stroke of ridiculous luck crit all three times, never expend it from their spell list. It still counts as three separate standard actions though.
    Last edited by Soilborn; 2011-01-12 at 12:17 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Drat... meant Hallowed WOUNDCRAFT... sorry. The one you mentioned is pretty straight forward.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Woundcraft isn't too difficult once you get around the wording.

Cure Light Wounds is level 1 and does a max of 1d8+5. It can now do 1d8+7.
    Cure Moderate Wounds is level 2, max is 2d8+10. It gets a 4 point bonus (max 2d8+14.)
    Inflict Serious Wounds is level 3, max is 3d8+15. It gets a 6 point bonus.

It's not meant to be the most powerful ability, just a handy nifty. I have however just found a few spells that this ability could completely break. The Cleric's Poison spell would cause 1d10+8 Con damage twice without Hallowed Resurgence? A crit with that would cause the spell to bounce 4 times, dealing a minimum of 36 Con damage over two turns; that would one-shot a Tarrasque even if all four d10s roll 1s. Need to tweek this one.
    Last edited by Soilborn; 2011-01-12 at 11:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soilborn View Post
    "She's got the good touch" in google.

First result
    Even better: the ONLY result for me.

The table says "hollowed" rather than "hallowed" by the by, so that needs a fix.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soilborn View Post
    Woundcraft isn't too difficult once you get around the wording.

Cure Light Wounds is level 1 and does a max of 1d8+5. It can now do 1d8+7.
    Cure Moderate Wounds is level 2, max is 2d8+10. It gets a 4 point bonus (max 2d8+14.)
    Inflict Serious Wounds is level 3, max is 3d8+15. It gets a 6 point bonus.
    That is what I thought/hoped, you just didn't mention Cure and Inflict specifically by keywords, which made me wonder if healing a living ally was effected, but not damaging a zombie.

The thing with poison is a rather gaping hole, perhaps it should only apply to HIT-POINT damage?
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Even better: the ONLY result for me.

The table says "hollowed" rather than "hallowed" by the by, so that needs a fix.
    Good catch. Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    That is what I thought/hoped, you just didn't mention Cure and Inflict specifically by keywords, which made me wonder if healing a living ally was effected, but not damaging a zombie.

The thing with poison is a rather gaping hole, perhaps it should only apply to HIT-POINT damage?
    Both of these have been addressed. It only works on Hit Point damage now, and the bonuses apply likewise when using the spells against undead.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

So um, Peach anyone?