Default Re: That Guy with a Halberd

Quote Originally Posted by Graymayre View Post
    Ok I have 5 starting contestants

• Salty
    • Catseye2121
    • Lerky
    • Kool-Aid
    • Ascenscion

I'll post the new thread in the next day or so.
    Sorry, there seems to be a misunderstanding. I meant the fanclub, not the contest. I'd love to read some, but I can't make anything decent for it.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, now Im confused. Are we going to do a linar story with a begining and an end or are we going for the different legends about the same guy? Because I found the second one much more intresting and with less limitations. Lets say that the winner of the background story contest creates a background that I dont really like, or even if I win, I dont think everyone would like entirely my ideas for a background. I think that the different legends about the same guy way of telling the story gives much more freedom to antone who would like to participate on the GwaH fanfic. Instead of a full unique background there should be things in common between every story, lets call it the GwaH dogma, thinks like:

*He uses a Halberd (duh!)
    *He is identified with the color blue
    *He fought at the azure city war

you know? just like in Zelda games you almost always have a guy named link, a princess named zelda a master sword and a hyrule kingdom.

From those things in common you can create your fanfic, like "Now he's looking to revenge from the hobgoblins" or "He's a vigilante supporting the azure city resistance" or "He fights renegade soldiers (loke toGwaH)" or "He wanders the land looking to master his fighting style with the halberd in a samurai-esque way".

And finally, I wont be able to log to the forums a lot these days so, where do I have to submit my ideas?
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think stories should be done just like Star Wars non-George Lucas stories are done. Everyone should write up their own background story, then we'll vote on the best on and that becomes the "canon." From there, anyone can write whatever tales they want to that happen during, before, or after the original tale, but they must keep in mind anything that happened at all to GwaH in other's stories. To prevent stories from being, "He died now no one can ever write about him again, hahaha," we should make an approval vote to make stories official.
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have set up the contest Thread (in the OOTS forum section)

If it suddenly disappears do not panick, in all likelihood it was moved to the Arts and Crafts section.
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

5. - Top - End - #215

well I submited mine awhile ago. And this is the 3rd time I've said this: I have finished part 2 but I think it's terrible but the best thing I could come up with I'm thinking of tearing it down and starting over

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    I think stories should be done just like Star Wars non-George Lucas stories are done.
    you're thinking non-canon, such as Old Wounds however even though it hasn't been announced "canon" I believe it is because two sources imply canonicity: The Story of General Grievous: Lord of War by Abel G. Peņa has a sentence that reads"The Soulless One was eventually tracked down by a cyborg acquaintance of Obi-Wan's, an old enemy who anonymously reported the ship to the local Imperial authorities."; and Star Wars: Battlefront II has Darth Maul appearing as a hero character on Polis Massa and Mustafar, planets he only visits in Old Wounds. Another example of non-canon is Star Wars: Demolition
    however an example of Canon would be Star Wars The Clone Wars
    Last edited by Lerky; 2008-08-12 at 06:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Proud Activist of The Goblinoid Sub-Type
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre
    Let us all hail to the might of Lerky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsen
    Lerky, you have proven once again, that you are a being of tremendous might.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dar
    Now that you are a god o mighty Lerky,we must strat building a temple to honor and worship your name.[and art]

6. - Top - End - #216

Hows the contest coming?
    My Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217

I'm the only one who's put their story up
    I couldn't help but notice that Graymayre didn't put a link to the thread. For those of you who don't want to search the entire 1st page up and down, or in case it falls into the 2nd page and is lost for eternity, here's the link
    EDIT: almost done with part 2 The War. I much happier with it this time my friend gave me good advice
    Last edited by Lerky; 2008-08-14 at 02:03 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that you are a god o mighty Lerky,we must strat building a temple to honor and worship your name.[and art]

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Lerky View Post
    I couldn't help but notice that Graymayre didn't put a link to the thread. For those of you who don't want to search the entire 1st page up and down, or in case it falls into the 2nd page and is lost for eternity, here's the link
    EDIT: almost done with part 2 The War. I much happier with it this time my friend gave me good advice
    well I read the first part of your story adn thought it was pretty cool wanting to see the second part!
    My Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by Lerky View Post
    Thanks Lerky, I lost the thread and couldn't make a link .
    Spoiler
    Show

I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...

10. - Top - End - #220

Quote Originally Posted by Nevitan View Post
    well I read the first part of your story adn thought it was pretty cool wanting to see the second part!
    thanks my friend suggested part 2 was kinda rushed so I tried slowing it down, focusing on the tradgedy yet excitment of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Graymayre View Post
    Thanks Lerky, I lost the thread and couldn't make a link .
    no problem, always glad to help
    I just kinda broke down when I spent about 5 minuets searching for the thread so I decided that all I had to do now was go to the GwaH thread where the link is.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221

I posted the link to the GwaH writing contest on my first post of the first and second page for easy access.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    I think stories should be done just like Star Wars non-George Lucas stories are done. Everyone should write up their own background story, then we'll vote on the best on and that becomes the "canon." From there, anyone can write whatever tales they want to that happen during, before, or after the original tale, but they must keep in mind anything that happened at all to GwaH in other's stories. To prevent stories from being, "He died now no one can ever write about him again, hahaha," we should make an approval vote to make stories official.
    Hmm, most of that wouldn't work because it would require us to make a lot of other charecters as support. Shocker I know,but a lone protagonist is only interesting for so long. Name one multiplicative story charecter that never has an allie of some sort, especialy to foil, bounce, or extrapolate? As such we'd have to come up with other charecters for support roles, and they would have to be well defined so as not to have continuity clash with future writers. Also, s we o would r be r required y to f make each of o the r other t charecters h interesting e enough l that a people t wouldn't e mind w reading h about i them t when e they t want e a x GwtH t story. that proves my faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

13. - Top - End - #223

good good, ha haha hahahahah hahahahahaha
    wellvthateshouldrkeepy
    meGcalmoforoad
    littlezwhileoalsoldoeyoumsee the signs?
    My Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224

I have a new idea for a Halaberdian Cathphrase....
    Which signs are you refering to? I have seen a lot of signs for variosu different things, but I need to know what you're refering to in particular.
    "Eat my 10ft reach slashing damage Zombies!"
    It would really help my job as an inquisitor if I knew which threat you were
    Cause if you think about it, most reach weapons are piercing, which zombies get damage reduction against.
    most concerned about right now. The Magenta Haleberd or the ANit-Paladin league or somebody else?
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    Hmm, most of that wouldn't work because it would require us to make a lot of other charecters as support. Shocker I know,but a lone protagonist is only interesting for so long. Name one multiplicative story charecter that never has an allie of some sort, especialy to foil, bounce, or extrapolate? As such we'd have to come up with other charecters for support roles, and they would have to be well defined so as not to have continuity clash with future writers. Also, we would be required to make each of the other charecters interesting enough that people wouldn't mind reading about them when they want a GwtH story.
    I do have one example where a single person acted on his own. The novel "I am legend" (NOTE: entirely different from the movie) has Robert Neville as the sole protagonist. In fact, throughout the entire book, he never actually obtains an ally. Of course, this is merely acceptable because the book was about unbearable solitude.

There are several other books like this, but they all use the solitude as a plot device, and not coincidence. Regardless, I think it would be best to use mostly the characters we come to know in the comic with GwaH's past (Such as Thanh and Tsukiko. Perhaps he is the one that somehow captured Tsukiko?)

P.S.
    Good lord,
    that was a female dog
    to remove all the color coding.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226

I'm trying to find a good song to be tGwaH's theme song. Not his actual theme song, a lot of you guys are writing your own, but the themesong everyone makes videos on youTube with so it's not that origional, liek how Ichigo has a lot of Animal I have Become vids because of his inner Hollow, or Naruto get's a lot of Animal I have Become and Me Against the World, and One Piece get's The Pirates who Don't do anything. So, what do you guys think is a good theme for tGwtH? Post your ideas, and when we hit 10 or so, we'll have a vote! How does that sound?

17. - Top - End - #227

Flumph

I think his name should just be Gwah. No last name... just Gwah... ok maybe Gwah something but definately Gwah... Ooh maybe Guy Wah... it sounds kinda asian... enough for Saphire city...

Oh yeah and I totally want in on the story contest. I'm an English Grad with time on my hands... prepare for an epic!

And for reference I plan on keeping him relatively alone... like a favorite character of mine... people call him Jack.
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2008-08-15 at 08:54 PM. Reason: add on

18. - Top - End - #228

cool. There is a link to the contest on my original post.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229

slightly halberd related material
    Spoiler
    Show
    well I'm no wordsmith but I am getting better at the whole inkscape thing That was ment for anyone who hadn't seen the 1st sign
    there starting to look like OotS now.
    haha I bet it was hard to detext, but thanks for doing it
    see?

and that certainly wasn't a cheap ploy to show off my work
    Last edited by Nevitan; 2008-08-16 at 10:38 PM.
    My Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230

Alright, I'm going to tell you guys I haven't started on my story... but its not my fault, I haven't had any time! I'll get started on it tomorrow, but either way it'll get up eventually.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

21. - Top - End - #231

well I'm no wordsmith but I am getting better at the whole inkscape thing there starting to look like OotS now.

and that certainly wasn't a cheap ploy to show off my work
    It is getting better, I suggest finding watever tone Rich uses for white skin (a little pinker) and making the lines a little bit thicker.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232

non-halberd related material
    Spoiler
    Show
    liiiike THIS?

Last edited by Nevitan; 2008-08-16 at 10:39 PM.
    My Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233

liiiike THIS?
    A little tall, but what do I know?
    I like the fade in the hair, from black to white. Awsome
    Last edited by Lerky; 2008-08-16 at 01:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234

non-halberd related material
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea I though I was pretty cool too, although I mave have put to many of those fade effects in my avatar
    more shameless self promotion
    but any way thats the avatar I made for my character at your inn.
    also he just saved it from being burnt down...
    Last edited by Nevitan; 2008-08-16 at 10:42 PM.
    My Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Pixie in the Playground

This is pretty awesome and I definately want to join!

Especially since this thread made me decide to register on the site...
    The Guy with a Halberd Fanclub

I kneel before the green light
    Of her singing crayon eyes
    And then I kiss her stomach
    And it's then I realize
    Her light is the night
    I'm not blind, I believe in you

I see a green light

26. - Top - End - #236

very good another added to our masses.. Graymayre Whats the total count of members?... greymayre... oh right that whole sleep thing
    but how about this for the motto (or some part of it)
    I believe the right to personal defense exists
    If I am forced to defend myself, loved ones or beliefs,
    Should I be attacked or have my principles violated,
    I am ready to defend myself with my weapons,
    The way of the foot
    And the way of the empty hand!
    This way, controlled by my mind
    And governed by my spirit is a skillful weapon
    Which can subdue, overpower, or destroy
    Depending on the forced combat situation.
    I will aggressively defend myself from any attack
    By using speed and precision
    And never doubt my determination
    To use my knowledge without hesitation or reservation
    This is the way of my teacher!
    This is also my way
    I am a warrior!
    above: excerpt from Lerky's story of Ji
    below:nonhalberd related material
    Spoiler
    Show

also mumble mumble
    how about this?
    Last edited by Nevitan; 2008-08-16 at 10:44 PM.
    My Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Just a little present for you guy, That Guy with a Halberd shows up in Soul Cali IV (sorry for the poor quality.)

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by Degausser View Post
    Just a little present for you guy, That Guy with a Halberd shows up in Soul Cali IV (sorry for the poor quality.)
    Thats ok its still a cool picture.
    My Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239

also mumble mumble
    how about this?
    hmmm... how about you take the GwaH Banner, use that exact color dropper thing on his face, and bucket it on this guy's face.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll show you a dump tool
    how about this straight form GwaH
    Last edited by Nevitan; 2008-08-16 at 10:45 PM.
    My Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show