New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Assassin's guild

Tiriane walks over to an old table made of oak with several decorations along the sides, and picks up a scroll with a red mark that lies beside a waterclock. The table and two chairs are the only furniture you can see in this cold, poorly illuminated room. You're having a hard time even seeing the featureless walls, and a constant, dripping sound can be heard from the waterclock, which echoes many times, making the sound almost unbearable for any beings with sensitive ears.

As you know, my name is Tiriane, and I'll be your superior for some time. You're all experienced members of this guild, Dini'nor, and I hope it'll be a pleasure to work together with you.

She pulls out a chair, still holding the scroll, and sits down. The lit candle on the floor reveals her face; blue eyes with both a cold, analyzing stare, and a warm, playful look that seems to shift every single moment. Her brown hair has been a pulled together into a pony-tail that rests on her shoulder, and the face's features are generally smooth and subtle.

It looks like you don't know each other as well. Describe yourself, but make it quick, time won't wait.

She stands up again, and now you can see the rest of her body; a leather armor that seems to have been made specially for her, dark-gray boots with runes along the blue-shining edges, bracers with a glistening pearl inlaid in each, and a very expensive-looking and delicate ring made of platinum on her right hand.

Your first target is man named Azreyl Lanar. This man is of no importance, he's nothing more than a petty would-be politician that's opposing our guild, not direct, but indirect. Your first mission's goal is to make you better to co-operate better with each other. I'll give you more information when you're done introducing your self.

With her last word spoken, she waits for you to finish.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Assassin's guild

Solzyne Alerret

"Call me Solaris" Solzyne said grinning, brilliant white teeth glinting in the candles flickering light as she smiled at the irony of the name. Taking a headband out of her blond hair, Solzyne bowed slightly concealing her face, the headband changing into a hat as Solzyne's hair turned white and her skin darkened considerably. Returning the hat onto her head, it returned to a headband holding long blond locks back from a lightly tanned friendly face, with incredibly cold emotionless eyes. The rapier and short sword at her side appear slightly more worn and used, the breastplate fading into a slightly revealing dress.
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

3. - Top - End - #3

Roscle

"Under my cover, Theodar Ghesta, a foreign royal, I could schedule a meeting with him.

He ponders this for a few seconds, seeming deep in thought. He gets a smile on his face, "Yes, that could work well."

He becomes somber in a second and adds in a dreary tone, "my name is Roscle Many Names."

He changes to an overexcited emotion and adds an odd accent, "master of disguises."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

A tall young man with light stubble along his jaw steps forward. His clothing is quality silk of deep colors, primarily dark green and gray with silver embroidery on the cuffs of his shirt and around his collar. His cloak is secured with a large emerald that matches his eyes. He holds his head high as he speaks to the room at large. "You may address me as Andaren."
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2008-08-08 at 01:50 PM.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Loren the Minstrel, at your service. Wherever boredom should befall you, i shall banish it instantly."

Stepping foreward and bowing, flourishing with a non-existant hat is a young man... well, he looks young. And a man. Although a man with rather effemiante facial features. His ears are slightly pointed, hinting at an elven heritage, although his built is a bit too stocky to be truly elven.

A half-elf then?

Currently clad in garish clothes that do indeed befit an entertainer, his shirt does not seem to conceal any armour, nor does he wear any headgear whatsoever. The rapier he wears on a sash doesn't even seem to be of particular quality. Nor does any of his equipment for that matter.

Doesn't seem like he could put up much of a fight. Harmless then?

"After my humble performance, i will be content to receive my handful of silver and maybe a bowl of soup and a bit of bread in your kitchen. I shall enjoy chatting with your maids and manservants, trading bits of rumours, maybe flirt a bit... and if all the little tidbits of rumours and informations just make it all the easier for your enemies to destroy you... maybe you should have made less enemies?"

"As for my role, well, i do best when i just... ah, pave the path for others. Learn about the obstacles beforehand and... do something about them. And so much easier for an expert locksmith to ply his trade when the master of the house and his encourtage are enraptured by a thrilling performance of the arts, no?"

Maybe mostly harmless then.

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

ooc where did my post go? Oh well I'll have to do the intro again.

Dunrik

The young drow is intent on everyone else in the room. His hand hangs at his rapier, though his stance is not threatening. Those who know him tend Dunrik to wear functional clothing rather than keeping up with the latest fashon. A long sleeved shirt reveals a bit of silvery metal links between itself and his chest.

Very good to meet youthe elf nods to his new superiorI am Dunrik Flucherite; a scout

Spoiler
    Show
    ooc his class is rogue, though this is how he describes himself

7. - Top - End - #7

That would be enough.
    Now you're done, let's get this started.

Her hand sweeps across the table, grabbing the scroll with the red mark. A closer looks reveals that the mark seems to be a red non-melting snowflake, shining with a dim, grey light.

As I've said before, this scroll holds information about Azreyl. We haven't gathered much information, so it's up to you to find out any more, if you need to.

After handing one of you the scroll, she pulls out a gem from a belt pouch, which she also gives you.

This gem holds a contingency spell. When you kill your target, the contingency spell should activate another spell, which should absorb his soul immediately, placing it in the gem. This will both be a proof for me that you've killed him, and should also protect us from any awkward situations, like clerics resurrecting him the day after you've killed him.
    Now, go away, kill him. Just bring me his soul before three days has gone.

Information on the scroll:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Azreyl is a half-elf.
    • His nearest friend is Lanadir Aran, an elven wood-carver.
    • He lives in the seventh ring, near the "Mistress' Tankard", an inn most commonly visited by members of The Grey Pride, a guild consisting of thugs.
    • Azreyl is a would-be politician, supporting the idea of an increase in the number of city guards.
    • Almost every day, he holds speeches in a tavern named "The Golden Lion", a tavern where many off-duty city guards and politicians enjoys a drink.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-08-08 at 08:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Solzyne Alerret

Taking the scroll and looking at it before tucking it away, Sol turned to the others assuming command. "I see three ways to do this. Kill him as he sleeps and risking pissing off The Grey Pride, unless we get them in on it for something. Or get them blamed for it." Sol said, looking at the others attempting to judge up their skills, "Or we could jump him in a street, ambush with bows, someone stood nearby with the gem, or thirdly, the most bloody one. Take him in The Golden Lion. With off duty guards there he will likely be more relaxed, but with politicians there, we might face other major threats"
    Holding the gem out to look though it at the light, admiring the patterns for a moment, she then stowed it on her person. "I favour the first method, as it shouldn't be to hard to find his home, and with the Grey Pride being active in the area, they can take the fall if we take some trinkets"

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

DrowGuy

Dunrik reads the scroll provided by Tiriane. Hmm. That will be useful. He then regards the others in the room, then he looks toward Solzyne. Those who are observant about body language notices that the drow male assumes a subordinate stance when he looks upon the lady, a way of standing that he doesn't use for others.

Turning away from Solzyne he directs his gaze toward Tiriane once more. Is there anything that we need to do to activate the contingency? Also, will it only trigger for our mark's soul? Accidents do happen.

Solzyne, I have another idea. Perhaps, we should terminate his freind, quietly so that nobody knows. Then someone impersonates the elfen carpenter, and kill him in broad daylight.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Andaren makes a brief study of the scroll, stroking his chin thoughtfully. He brushes his hair back behind a silver circlet as he looks up. "We get paid to kill. We shouldn't do freebies. Now, why does killing this fool in the middle of one of his prattling speeches have to be bloody? I mean, suppose he just dropped dead in front of a room full of witnesses without a mark on his body? Nobody would suspect a thing."
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2008-08-08 at 01:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Loren raises his hands and smiles.

"People, please! Let us not be hasty to make plans just yet, we didn't even leave the room!"

"Now now, there is such a lot a wandering minstrel can hear about, plying his trade in the inns of this town. 3 days we have and if i hurry, i should have learned a bit or three about our mark by tonight."

Bowing slightly, he goes on "After all, this is my speciality. Finding rumours and real news and relating them to my compatriots, to make their job just a little bit easier. Does any of you fancy a place to meet tonight? So i may relate what i learned to you?"

(So he is a half-elf too, eh? Well well, maybe i should be so lucky to learn to know him personally...)

Lycar

12. - Top - End - #12

DrowGuy

When Loren makes his statement, Dunrik smiles at him. Don't look at it as doing freebies. This is a work of pleasure for me. Seeing the look on his face when he realizes that his freind was the one to bury the dagger in his chest. If you've never done so, you are missing out on quuite an experience.

When Loren makes his comment about finding rumors the Dunrik says, Yes that sounds like a good idea. And you make the call about where to meet to discuss what you learn.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    Turning away from Solzyne he directs his gaze toward Tiriane once more. Is there anything that we need to do to activate the contingency? Also, will it only trigger for our mark's soul? Accidents do happen.
    No, the magic should do its own job as long as the gem stays within 30 feet. And it will only trigger if you kill the mark.

14. - Top - End - #14

Solzyne Alerret

Turning to look at Andaren, Sol said coldly "If you can do that, then why are you still here, go off and kill him with a snap of your fingers. I know I don't posses that skill yet, and I tend to find people get rather paranoid when someone just drops down dead.." Looking over at Dunrik and then onto Loren, Sol continued "That could work. While you gathering information, see if you can find some stuff about him. I will also be out gathering information, because I've found with a well worded question you can learn all sorts not meant to be revealed. And as Dunrik said, you can choose the meeting place, I'm not fussed with doing that"

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Andaren raises an eyebrow at Sol. "Fine, I will. Pass me the gem."

He turns to Dunrik. "I dislike wasteful deaths simply because we lose the possibility of getting paid to kill anyone who's already dead in the future. It's bad for business."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Solzyne

Taking out the gem and tossing it to Andaren, Sol said, "Have fun, but please make sure you don't loose the gem, so when you come crawling back we can try properly"

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Andaren snags the gem from the air. "Such a pretty little thing. It would make a lovely amulet." It disappears into a pocket. He turns to Tiriane. "If there's nothing else, I'll go take care of things."
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"It seems we are one big family already. Complete with squabbling siblings." Loren beams.

"If this concludes our buisines here, i shall retreat to my quarters to prepare for my performance in The Golden Lion. And if i should manage to find the abode of this Lanadir Aran fellow, i might buy a bit of artwork from him maybe."

Lycar

19. - Top - End - #19

DrowGuy

Before Andaren leaves the male drow stops him with a question So where shall we meet with your findings?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Loren smiles at Dunrik.

"Rumour has it that The Wild Boar is an establishment where a wandering minstrel could easily ply his trade and earn a few silvers. And if one of those bards would just happen to entertain, say, a group of grouchy grognards with a fancy tale or two, all for the price of an ale and a bowl of soup, why, they might learn something from it after all..."

Lycar

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Andaren strides from the room and goes to his private quarters. He digs through his wardrobe, at last pulling out a surcoat of burgundy velvet and a black silk shirt and breeches. After changing, he opens his jewelry box and pulls out a golden ring carved with falcons, a diamond ear stud, and a large ruby that he affixes to his cloak in place of the emerald. He studies himself in the mirror for a moment, then replaces the diamond in his ear with a ruby to match his brooch and slips a ruby ring onto his hand opposite the signet. Satisfied, he closes and locks his jewelry box and places it in the wardrobe before securing that as well. He then departs, making his way toward The Golden Lion.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am attempting to pass myself off as a minor noble from outside the city.
    (1d20+12)[31] Disguise (if it's necessary)
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

DrowGuy

With the conversation at an apparent end Dunrik will leave this room and will pass the time until the early evening.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

With the briefing finished, Loren retreats to his quarters to prepare for his assignement.

(Hmm. It is still a bit early for the bards to hit the pubs. I better start scoping out that Lanadir Aran fellow first. Make most of the day. Woodcarver, eh? Maybe he even sells instruments.)

Loren fetches his disguise kit and sits down in front of the mirror he had installed on the wall above his desk to work his craft.

(So many people depend on magic to disguise their true selves. And just a simple 'Detect Magic' cantrip will thwart them. Better to put some real effort into it...)

Carefully selecting various tools and supplies from his kit, Loren goes about to change his appearance. His build is more human then elf-like, his face suggests more elf then human. Hmm. Loren decides to wear shoes with high soles and exaggerate the pointynes of his ears a bit. So he looks more 'elvish'. Some simple cosmetics are enough to change his facial features somewhat.

Of course his Ring of Arming is camouflaged also, the engraved warrior figure painted over with a flower motif.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course the gamemaster makes the Disguise skill roll in secret.

(Who are we then... how about... Laradriel Bluesky. Wandering elven minstrel. Hm. Should do nicely enough.)

Loren ponders over the contents of the wardrobe. He finally decides to wear a set of worn and slightly threadbare entertainer's outfit. He packs his backpack with the cloth from a traveller's outfit to add the appearance of bulk without adding too much weight. Then he attaches the bedroll as a final touch.

Girding himself with his non-descript generic rapier he rests assured that the magic of his ring will arm him with his magic rapier and chain mail suit at the drop of a hat.

A simple casting of 'Disguise Self' is enough to turn him into a nondescript human wearing drap clothing.

Prepared such, Loren leaves the guild and heads for the city gate, taking just enough silver with him to pay the tax the city guards are going to levy on him in his role as a wandering minstrel.

He leaves the city through the west gate, wanders out of sight, waits a while and then re-approaches the city in his new role.

He will make just enough of an impression on the guards that they will remember 'an elven minstrel in loud clothes' to have entered the town today.

Then he heads for the artisan's district where Lanadir Aran resides, to seek him out and start his mission....

Lycar

24. - Top - End - #24

Andaren:

The tavern looks new, like if it had been build yesterday, but a sign outside reveals that the tavern is at least ten years old. On the walls, both inside and outside, several motifs of golden lions have been painted, all of them about to attack, standing in an intimidating pose or hunting their prey.

As Andaren walks through the doors and into the "Golden Lion", he notices several politicians, guards and some minor nobles. Some of them are playing some kind of a dice game on an expensive-looking table with several motifs of golden lions carved into it, some of them are just having a drink and relaxing and some of them discuss politics with each other. None of them gives you more than a glance, except for a male elf who looks especially glad to see you.
    Hello! Don't think we've met before, or, have we? Nevertheless, allow me to introduce myself in case you've either forgotten or we haven't met before, the elf greets you.
    With a smile on his lips and a glint in his blue eyes, he continues,
    I'm Ken'terr Aran, son of Daren Aran and brother to Lanadir Aran. Perhaps you've met Lanadir before? He's very friendly and mild, oh, and obsessed with wood; I can't remember one day I've ever seen him without some kind of wood in one of his hands, and I don't think you'd want to know how many chairs and tables I've got as gifts from him, he jokes,
    Perhaps you'd like to buy one of his finely crafted bowls? Or perhaps a lovely set of knives, forks or spoons?
    Well, enough about him and me, let me hear something about you while I wait for my brother and his friend.

The elf leans back, eagerly waiting to hear more about you.

--------------------------------
    Loren:

The re-entering through the western gate goes smooth, and the guards will certainly remember you, at least for some time. As you approaches the elf's house, decorated with several intricate woodcarvings, you can hear a voice slicing through the noise, coming from a half-elf beside the house,
    Come on. I can't wait forever, Lanadir. I'm not an elf like you, only half of me is, the voice yells at someone.
    Just a minute, we aren't in a hurry, or are we, Azreyl? Another voice answers, apparently belonging to Lanadir, coming from the window in the house with the woodcarvings.
    You know that I got to be in the Golden Lion before midnight. Both one of my friends and your brother awaits us.
    Alright, but I just need the finishing touch on this, and it should be done.
    I'll wait for you in the Golden Lion, Azreyl answers, and walks off into the crowd.

Spoiler
    Show
    Phew... Finaly got it up.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-08-20 at 02:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Loren

(Fortune's smile upon me. So this is the man who draw the guild's ire. And here is the home of his friend. Oh well. SO it begins...)

Loren approaches the house, maybe he can sneak in a peek through the window first. Maybe even adress the artist himself.

He knocks lightly on the windowframe, hoping to catch the elf's attention.

When he looks up from his work, Loren speaks thusly:
    "Hello there, sorry if i'm interrupting anything. I am looking for an artisan or crafter. You wouldn't happen to be Lanadir Aran? I have been told you do work wonders with wood..."

Loren displays a friendly smile, just with a hint of excitement and .. a bit bit of awe maybe. Yes, that should do nicely.

Lycar

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Andaren smiles warmly at the greeting. "Well met, friend. I am Jemal of the house Mitsobar. I have only just arrived in the city. This was the first reputable-looking establishment I found." A look of distaste crosses his face. "The outer rings are so shabby. Something should be done."

His smile returns to his face as he continues, "I have not met anyone from your family before, but I am familiar with your brother's work. My father is quite keen on his carving. I am honored to meet you. Is there anything to drink here?"
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

DrowGuy

Just posting to let you know that i'm still in this game, but Dunrik is waiting for early evening to go to the bar.

28. - Top - End - #28

Loren:

Greetings, sir. I'm Lanadir Aran, yes. I don't know about the "do wonders with wood" thing, but I'm trying, and I think myself that I'm pretty good, he answers you, with an excited look in his eyes, like if he had been waiting for something to happen.
    I need to meet someone at "the Golden Lion", so, can we meet at another time?

------------

Andaren:

Indeed the outer rings are too shabby, that's therefore my brother's friend, Azreyl, fights for more city guards. And I think he's doing pretty well so far, at least, the other politicians seems to understand the need, and I don't think it would be long before we can get enough city guards to finally clear out some of the city's more dirty places.
    With a quick motion towards a staircase, he continues,
    If you go up the stairs, you will find a man, his name is Baran. He's the one mixing and selling the drinks in here. Usually, people starts with going upstairs, buys a drink, and walk down again and find a table where they can play or talk with other people.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by insecure View Post
    Greetings, sir. I'm Lanadir Aran, yes. I don't know about the "do wonders with wood" thing, but I'm trying, and I think myself that I'm pretty good, he answers you, with an excited look in his eyes, like if he had been waiting for something to happen.
    I need to meet someone at "the Golden Lion", so, can we meet at another time?
    "The Golden Lion you say? Serendipity! As fate would have it, i was intending to go there myself! Maybe not on my first day in town but... ah but where are my manners! Allow me to introduce myself:"

Loren courtesies while still standing outside that window.

"I am Silvus Windsong, minstrel and storyteller, slayer of boredom everywhere. While my greatest weapon in this endeavor is my voice the gods saw fit to gift me with, i find it expedient to enhance my performances with some music too."

"Unfortunately, certain events left me bereft of an instrument. I wonder: Do you happen to craft instruments? Certainly an artisan of your prestige is well suited for such a task?"

Lycar

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Lycar View Post
    "Unfortunately, certain events left me bereft of an instrument. I wonder: Do you happen to craft instruments? Certainly an artisan of your prestige is well suited for such a task?"
    Yes, I can make some wooden instruments, but I'm not that experienced. A flute should be pretty easy, but anything harder than that can get, well, hard.
    Now, if you excuse me, I will try to catch up with my friend.

Meanwhile, merchants are beggining to close there stands and shops, going home for the night. (OOC: It's 7 pm-ish)
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-08-25 at 04:03 PM.