New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Re: Apocalypse Northwest

Down on Skid Row

To Flint: You notice--on the desk above the sprinkler system, a bottle has been knocked over and is dripping into an intake tube on the system.

To everyone: Important to note: the kids under the table aren't in any state of dissolving.

For the first time in the mutant plant's brief sentience, it learns pain. Flint's slab of fist slams into the vine, causing a deep indentation to form, oozing liquid down the length of its shape. The head, in response, throws itself back and then violently jerks forward, shooting a spiny barb from within its "mouth."

Spine Attack: 15+3=18 (hit)
    Damage: 1d6+5 (11) plus Poison
    Fort DC 13 or 2 Dex Damage

In addition, the head manages to inch itself 5 feet closer to the fray.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Colorado Williams

Colorado Williams, letting curiosity get the better of him and thinking that science may be able to solve yet another problem, heads over to the table and tries to open the briefcase to see what is inside. He positions himself toward the front of the desk so that the kids can get out behind him.

(OOC)
    20 ft. move diagonal NW

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's Not Easy Being Green

Unfortunately for Flint, the plant's attention is not particularly drawn to either the whip-carrying man watching a briefcase, idle prospector, or aiming computer programmer. The tentacle not currently engaged in combat weaves its way along the ground before lashing out at Flint's legs. The other comes from above, and they try to (stop me if you've heard this one) grab Flint.

Tentacle 1:
    13+3=16 (hit)
    Damage: 5
    Improved Grab--opposed roll DC 17

Tentacle 2:
    12+3=15 (hit)
    Damage: 4
    Improved Grab--opposed roll DC 9

(So for Flint, that means one Fort save and two grapple checks...AND feel free to subtract 3 from the damage dealt by the plant for your DR 1/-
    Last edited by stinkomandx; 2008-09-03 at 11:25 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Trainwhistle Jenkins, Blinded by Science

Trainwhistle Jenkins takes a resolute stand, eyeing the chilluns but once before realizing that there is more at stake than a couple o kids. His sex appeal, for example. An even brighter fire lights in his eyes! "Ain't no beast o science ever bested ol' Trainwhistle Jenkins sa far, and we sho ain't gunna start tanight!"

With a roar of fightin anger, Trainwhistle grasps Ol' Bashy in both hands and brings it down mightily upon the tentacle which seems ta be graspin the giant block o granite in front o him.

OOC:
    Moving forward as needed and attackin' Viscount de Tentacle I.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]
    Also, new stuff in OOC chat.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Kurt Vescher Shooting in the rain.

Kurt fires a shot into the pipe to redirect the water flow away from the tasteful floral centerpiece. (18 + 8 = did I hit the non-moving thing? For 2 d10 = 2 + 1 damage, score!). Surprised that the man with two trucks attached to his arms is seeming to cause the plant to writhe in pain, Kurt tries to take in the scene again. The hell kind of plant can move around and react like that? An aimed projectile?! The ****?! What's it got eyes or somethin? Spot check for gauging situation in the rainbow room: 15 + 7 = I should really stick to rolling d20's.
    If Mao Ze Dong was wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Kurt Vescher

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ain't no party like a Fort save party

Kurt's shot, while just glancing off the pipe, is extremely well-aimed. The bullet finds a piece of the pipe currently "repaired" with some liberal duct tape use. It makes a hole in the pipe, diverting the sprinkler system on to the ground. Mist stops spraying from the overhead sprinklers.

The vine that has been savaged by Flint and Trainwhistle is looking very bad, with breaks in its length and significant bruising.

Aside from Flint (at 14 hp), the heroes are doing well at the top of the round. Your clothes and skin are dampened by the sprinkler system, and worryingly, your skin is starting to itch.

(We're looking for Fort saves from everyone, DC 14 or 2 damage. Also, if people have character sheets on mythweavers and want to link to them in their profiles, that'd make life a smidge easier.)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flint Ironstag Hates Pirhana Plants
    HP: 14/31 | AC: 14(m) 17(r) | F/R/W: +5/+2/+1

Flint roars as the plant's ejecto-spines complete their change of address to his shoulder. His giant, meaty shoulder which he happened to like very much. "Get those kids out of here! If we clear 'em out, we can torch the place!" He does this, naturally, while grabbing on to the nearest major vine and slamming his fist into it.

Fort: 6+5=11 Fail; 2 Dex damage
    Grapple: 2+5=7 Fail; Grappled
    Grapple: 10+5=15 Pass, if it helps.
    Fort: 12+5=17 Pass; those were my favorite 2 hitpoints.

Attack: 8+6-4=10 (14 if Trainwhistle finishes off the Tentacleese that's grapplin' all up in my grill)
    Damage: 2d4+3=9
    Last edited by Merlin the Tuna; 2008-09-04 at 06:41 PM.
    Merlin the Tuna

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Round 2 map:

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...RoomRound2.jpg

One down...more to go!

Seeing its favorite target is surrounded by its own body parts, the head decides to lob an ejecto-spine at the new threat--a grody old coot. It also moves 5 feet closer to the fight.

Attack: 8+3=11 (miss)

And a special Knowledge Streetwise check, DC 0--the Greenhouse is the town's main source of food, mutant or otherwise. While there's another structure off of this one that houses most of the food, a fire might be difficult to deal with.

9. - Top - End - #39

Colorado Williams

Seeing Flint and Trainwhistle under duress, Colorado decides to save his interest in the briefcase for later and make some noise. He takes a step forward towards the spiney mouth and his partner Mable loudly requests that the plant monster leave them alone. His leather hat and jacket perform their jobs of keeping Colorado dry while he thinks about what he's learned about botony to see if any of it is useful.

5 foot step NE
    Fort Save: 15+1 = 16, Success
    Attack: 14+4 = 18
    Damage: 2d8 = 4+3 = 7, It's been a while, d8's. I miss you.
    Knowledge Earth and Life Sciences: 19+8 = 27, because I have it, and its a plant, right?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Fort check: 15 + 0 = it's been a while, do ties go to the player or the poison?

Upon noticing the tingly sensation, Kurt considers maybe his time in the brothel was a terrible mistake before considering his mild skin irritation might have something to do with ever-increasingly stretched metaphore in front of him. He takes a step back and uses the door as a cover. He then places a bead on the the head of the cabbage patch horror, still not entirely sure that a bullet would hurt a plant, but I mean, seriously, aimed projectiles, there's a central nervous system in there somewhere.
    Just keep on whooping his ass Flint, we got this. I don't want to see no kids get caught up in that. Push him back a little and we'll get the kids out

Kurt Vescher

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Feed me all night long

To Colorado: Nice work on the check. You haven't seen much like this before, but you recognize that the spine being fired out of the plant is not natural in its species. It does exist in some species of porcupine however, and you notice that the spine's shape even looks similar to a porcupine's spine.

To Kurt: Ties go to the player, congrats.

Mable loudly explains her effectiveness to everyone involved, as a bullet flies out and moves in to a nice little home in the plant's head. You notice that the plant's thick exterior blunts a bit of the damage though--like it might have damage reduction in addition to its natural armor bonus. Like DR 2 or something.

The vine currently grappling Flint does its darndest to hurt the hero, but Flint has decided to stop pretending to be something other than an invincible man-shaped brick. Vine the Second triest to slap itself up a piece of prospector, but Trainwhistle shows that his fancy footwork doesn't stop on the dance floor and nimbly dodges the attack.

Vine 1
    Attack Roll: 6 + -1 = 5

Vine 2
    Attack Roll: 9 + 3 = 12

Trainwhistle and Flint are go!

(Out of curiosity, does Trainwhistle have the standard issue prospector voice?)

12. - Top - End - #42

Flint Ironstag Knows Fatalities
    HP: 14/31 | AC: 13(m) 16(r) | F/R/W: +5/+2/+1

With blood in his eyes and a fire in his heart, Flint yanks the quills out of his shoulder with his free right hand. Wrestling to get a hold of the vine with his left, he roars "If God had wanted you to live, he would not have created me!" With that he launches a haymaker (at least so far as giant flytraps can be made into hay) with his right, ripping right through the bothersome tendril. He then resets his footing, shakes free his left arm, and delivers a staredown to the plant's "head" the likes of which have never been seen since the death of the pro-wrestling circuit so many years ago.

Attack: 18+6=24
    Damage: d6+d4+3 = 6+1+3 = 10
    Apparently d20 Modern grappling doesn't hit you with -4s all over the bloody place like D&D grappling does. Good to know.
    Merlin the Tuna

13. - Top - End - #43

GnomeWizardGuy

Trainwhistle Jenkins, Champeen of Prospector Karaoke

Seeing Flint having ripped through the first tentacle, Trainwhistle sees this as a good opportunity to get the youngins outside: an opportunity he promptly delegates to the man whose crotch the children were staring at the last round.

"Galdurnit, Colyrado, git them chilluns outta here, fore they turns into a pile o sciency mush along with them other blasphemers." He grimaces as a new headache smashes into him like a mutant moose who just got his antlers stoled by none other than Trainwhistle Jenkins hisself. yellow, blue, yellow, blue...

"Yeeargh!" He is suddenly interrupted by the tentacle swinging for him, but he skips aside with the latest barn dancin move he learned from Edna. Thank the mutant gods fer that woman and her fancy boots. Bringing Ol' Bashy back into his two-handed grasp, he swings wildly at the bad hentai joke afore it can stain the honor of any of the fine ladies o Wiltshire. "Hoo-boy, it'll be a warm day in Stygia afore a poor excuse fer a garden hose'll best the likes o Trainwhistle Jenkins!"

OOC:
    Trainwhistle attacks either the damaged tentacle or the only one left, then takes a 5ft step back towards the head, callin the 2nd tentacle forward with naught but the fire in his eyes. (Power Attack for 1)
    Attack: (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[6]

Quote Originally Posted by stinkomandx View Post
    [B](Out of curiosity, does Trainwhistle have the standard issue prospector voice?)
    Have you even been reading my posts?! But yeah, I kind of imagine him with the standard "incorrigible old coot" voice, such as the one demonstrated by Will Ferrell in his old prospector sketch. But technically, Trainwhistle is pretty smart, so he "gets it." He jes like ta talk this way. Ya unnerstan?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fighting the monster whose genus is Venus

With the sprinklers off and a number of heroes between the plant monster and the children, the older boy gathers up his courage and climbs out from under the chair. He pulls on his younger brother's sleeve and says "Come on, com'on!" The younger brother still seems a little a'scared though, and he refuses to budge.

The plant has different ideas about budging--he is pro-budge. He budges 5 feet closer to the fight, shotting another Ejecto-spine towards the man whose shirt fearlessly proclaims that he "ain't yo grandpa." Compared to such a enigmatic claim, Flint's stare just doesn't cut the mustard.

Attack: 12+3=15 (miss)
    Action point: 1d6=5
    Modified attack: 15+5=20 (hit)
    Damage: 9 damage and Fort DC 13 or 4 Dex damage.

To everyone: I need a Fort save, DC 15, or take 2 damage. Your skin begins to sting all over.

(To be honest, I think I've been reading it with a mixture between an Old Prospector and Clint Eastwood. Probably a little too heavy on the gruff)

15. - Top - End - #45

Colorado Williams - Not good with kids

Colorado is staring in mild disbelief at the porcupine spines in the plant and in his friends. After Trainwhistle yells at him, Colorado turns around and sees that the 2 kids still haven't fled the scene. Colorado hustles over towards them and sees the one of them is still hiding underneath the table. "Here kid, take my hat, it'll protect you. Now get outta here!" Colorado says as he takes off his leather fedora and places it on the head of the kid underneath the table. He then tries to pull him up and give him a shove toward the door. Tragically, when doffing his cap, Colorado accidently spills some of the water that was on it down the back of his neck and it burns like hell.

Fort Save: 7+1 = 8, Fail
    Charisma Check to motivate the kid?: 3+2 = 5

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

To Colorado: No roll necessary--a whole action taken to getting them out, plus the cuteness of the hat-give, is roleplaying enough to motivate them to leave.

The younger brother puts Colorado's hat on. It's too big, but what can now be seen of his face looks determined. The children run out of the room.

Meanwhile, the vine attacks Trainwhistle.

Attack: 16+3=19
    Damage: 8
    Grapple check: 12
    Nothin' brewin.

17. - Top - End - #47

GnomeWizardGuy

Trainwhistle Jenkins, suddenly in pain

Even Trainwhistle wild dance steps are no match for the evils of science, and he yelps in pain as the spine hits his back, like this, "Yeeeowch!"

As the vine wraps attacks, Trainwhistle finds he can do little else than swing around with Ol' Bashy and hope to connect. "C'mere ya overgrown excuse for a snake whose belly may or may'nt be in a wagon rut!"

OOC:
    Bwu-oh...
    Grapple: (1d20+5)[17]
    Fort vs Spine: (1d20+4)[13]
    Fort vs Melting: (1d20+4)[14]

Attack: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[5] (an extra +1 damage to that if I'm not grappled, because then I can use Ol' Bashy 2-handed)

(prospector, clint eastwood. whatever. I don't think my accent stays the same from post to post anyways... i'm running out of things to say to this plant creature. i'm going to have to find something else to cast my metaphors on.)

18. - Top - End - #48

GnomeWizardGuy

Trainwhistle Jenkins, he who is about to melt to death

(OC: actually, noticing my remaining hps, I think it's time to go about using my heroic surge action. This will again be against the vine, unless it is dead, which I doubt.)

Heroically surging, Trainwhistle lashes out with his Ol' Bashy a heroically second time. Heroic, no?

Heroically speaking, Trainwhistle taunts the vine again, "If'n I 'member correctly, I shat in yer test tube when you was just a baby! And if I shat ya out, I can certainly... shat ya back in? Yarrrrr!"

Attack: (1d20+6)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[5]

19. - Top - End - #49

Flint Ironstag, out of one-liners

Flint does the superman shuffle, attempting to box the vine in between himself and Trainwhistle, then attempts to just plain-old box it. His inexplicable bare-fisted success against the plant thus far quickly becomes far-more-explicable middling-progress as his knuckles grow bloody on the plant's surface.

Attack: 9+6=15 (17 if we flank)
    Damage: 1+2+3=6

OOC: I no longer have any idea what the room is like. Flint is generally trying to put himself in harm's most direct way, although admittedly harm is kind of a bastard in general.
    Last edited by Merlin the Tuna; 2008-09-08 at 11:00 PM.
    Merlin the Tuna

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

The DM: Will post a map soon

Questions about the plant's ability to sense things have been raised. Does it have eyes? Does it have a central nervous system? Valid questions, indeed.

But if scientists had wanted to study the plant while it was alive, they had better get moving. Despite laying some heavy damage on the bruiser team of Flint and Trainwhistle, the vine wrapped around the prospector goes from sittin' pretty to feelin' sh***y in no time at all, as three solid blows brutalize it to the point of complete ruin.

The plant's head looks about ready to lurch forward, but not until Kurt gets a shot in.

(Finally, remember that you can spend a standard action to heal 1/4 of your total HP)
    Nothin' brewin.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Kurt Vescher: Is unsure how this plant fits within the moral realms of vegetarianism.

Steadying himself with a drawn out exhale, Kurt gives Erwin a little squeeze, praying that he can hit something worth a damn in the...headish part. If he can't spot anything else attractive on the head, he aims for a part close to the neck in hopes of messing up the biological spine-flingy mechanism

(attack: 8 + 8 = damn it's nice to play a sniper. Damage: 5 + 4 = well, it's pretty good anyway. Fort save: 5 + 0 = it's okay.)

Kurt Vescher

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

DM: Insert Plant Pun or Little Shop of Horrors Reference Here

Round 3 Map:
    http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...RoomRound3.jpg

The plant--nearing a bloodied state--jerks back from the force of the Remington shot, although it quickly recovers and lurches towards Flint. Its mouth opens wide and attempts to close around Flint's Y-chromosome saturated arm.

Colorado notices that the bottle that had been dripping into the sprinkler intake has a bit of yellow residue at the base that had not yet poured in.

Attack: 13+7=20
    Damage: 11

Additionally, I need a Fort DC 16 from everyone or 2 damage.

With the vines gone, we have all players on deck, with Colorado up first.

(And, could everyone post their current hp? I like the way Marty did it a few posts back. Marty, you get 10 points. Not experience points, though.)
    Last edited by stinkomandx; 2008-09-09 at 03:05 PM.
    Nothin' brewin.

23. - Top - End - #53

Colorado Williams - and the case of the yellow residue
    HP: 14/18

Remembering what the 2nd child said before he turned into a pink puddle about not adding the yellow, Colorado makes a move for the table and the bottle. Since the sprinkler system is shot in more ways than one, Colorado hatches a plan. He grabs hold of the pipe coming from the sprinkler pump and bends it down at a weak point so its spraying at the plant monster. Then he dumps most of the contents of the bottle into the stream, hoping it will have an effect. He saves a small amount for analysis hoping that he can figure out what caused this, and hopefully stop the burning on his skin.

Fort Save: 2+1 = 3
    Ranged Touch for Water Attack:13+4 = 17
    Damage: ???

24. - Top - End - #54

GnomeWizardGuy

Trainwhistle Jenkins, "and all my stupid bands that fell apart"
    HP 11/11 (formerly out of 24); AC 14; Fort +4, Ref+2, Will +2

Noticing parts of him are starting to fall off, Trainwhistle decides it would be prudent were he to try to get some of this gunk off of him. He takes his old "I Ain't Yo' Grampa" shirt out from under his overalls and starts wiping his face off with the bottom.

"Hot Jesus playin' jumprope! This stuff'll take ya down faster 'n Anty Mable's homemade whisky!"

OC:
    Fort Save: (1d20+4)[11]
    Stopping to get me some hps. (Already included above, so is fort save results.)
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2008-09-09 at 09:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

...and it was all yellow

Although the misting spray from the sprinkler system failed to cause any damage to the plant, Colorado's attack is quite effective. The liquid doesn't burn like acid...instead, the effected areas of the plant seem to be in a state of extremely advanced decay. Brown liquid sloshes off the head, as boils form and burst, spewing small noxious gas puffs. The head still seems to be active, but it looks severely disabled.

As for our heroes, the liquid from the sprinkler seems to have been mostly absorbed into any areas of your skin that were exposed, but the afflicted areas are not feeling any better. If anything, it seems to be getting stronger.

Flint and Kurt are on deck.
    Nothin' brewin.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Kurt Vescher: On his last For Loop.
    15/19 HP, 19 AC

Seeing the effect of the spray on salad fingers, Kurt goes ahead and sticks a part of his exposed arm into the spray. You know, it'll either cure him or get him to start rapidly decomposing, but this is about the most nihilistic computer programmer you're liable to come across (that being said, he still makes an effort to only get a little bit of his arm wet). (Fort save 15 + 0).

If there's a little vine near him, he gives it a heel stomp on his way over to Colorado. If there's a more substantial vine, he tries to get in a whap with Erwin on his way over (11 + 2 attack, 1d4 = 3 for damage (not sure on erwin beat stick or heel damage, not like the attack connected anyway)).
    God Damnit if the world don't make no sense!
    Last edited by Malconstant; 2008-09-10 at 11:02 AM.

Kurt Vescher

27. - Top - End - #57

Flint Ironstag Never Throws in the Towel
    HP: 12/31 | AC: 13(m) 16(r) | F/R/W: +5/+2/+1

The sprinkler goo continues to sear Flint's eyes and arms, and for a moment he thinks about pausing to catch breath and summon up a second wind. When he sees Colorado blast the plant with a plant-be-gone spell, he knows he isn't about to get a better chance. He continues advancing on the giant monstrosity, stepping forward while spinning to deliver a ruthless backhanded blow right where the spray connected. He quietly hopes that his hand is still there at the end of it; losing it would make lifting weights considerably harder.

Fort: 9+5=14 (Fail - 2 HP deducted)
    Attack: 14+6=20
    Damage: 3+2+3=8
    Last edited by Merlin the Tuna; 2008-09-10 at 11:03 PM.
    Merlin the Tuna

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

DM: Petey Pirhanna, R.I.P.: Round 1-Round 4

To Kurt and Flint: You've got guts, I'll give you that. Unfortunately, those guts are one step closer to being visible to all parties, as you sudden feel intense pain focused on your arm/fist, but suffusing out through your entire body.

The fight ends just like it began--with Flint Ironstag beating the s*** out of a plant. His fist connects the gooey plant's side, and punches all the way through to the other side of the plant. The two halves of head fall lifelessly to the ground, and the roots along the ground stop moving once and for all.

It's pretty clear that no one is safe yet, though. Kurt's arm and Flint's fist are starting to crack and bleed, and other exposed parts of people aren't looking that much better. Plus, you can tell that the feeling of burning is spreading from your exposed body parts to parts that weren't soaked with water.

A broken sprinkler pipe spills water on to the ground where its sides no longer meet. The table still holds a black steel briefcase, and there are no children underneath. Plus, to anyone who was curious, the kids were safe from the sprinkler under the table.

(Everyone but Kurt and Flint need to make a Fort save DC 17 or take 2 damage--Flint and Kurt need to make a Fort save DC 19 or take 4 damage)

(+ 1/3 level to all players. Screw experience on pbp. Plus, I highly suggest people go back and re-read everyone's titles. Hilarious.)
    Last edited by stinkomandx; 2008-09-10 at 11:27 PM.
    Nothin' brewin.

29. - Top - End - #59

GnomeWizardGuy

Trainwhistle Jenkins, wondering both how much yellow stuff is in the danged sprinkler system and why he has Track

Trainwhistle Jenkins spits on the plant monster. "Hock-pitooey! I'd taunt ye, ye great lump o broccoli, but I done used up all my good'uns on the gall-durned vine snake over yonder." He hikes a thumb at the flaccid tendril. Oh, that'd a been anuther good'n!

Then he tries to wash himself off in the faucet. Experimentally with his hand first, to make sure he ain't gunna explode. Trainwhistle remembers well his Pappy's accident with the sodium. Cursed scientists and their bleach and sodium and mutant plant monsters and combusto pods.

He grumbles and mumbles to himself, in that order, and turns around to see what the others are doing post-potting the plant.

OC:
    can't roll my fort here for some reason, so Ima do it in OC.
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2008-09-11 at 01:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Kurt Vescher: Rage against the apparent lack of medical machines.
    11/19, 19 AC

FFFFFEEEEWWWWWWUUUK... Kurt mutters, realizing he's seen the wrong end of his little Schrodinger's mutant plant spray idea. What the f*** is this s***?! What the f*** is it doing here?! It's a goddamn green house where orphans feed the homeless!

[Spot check for noticing the briefcase (I'm assuming there's more than a little debris in here, god knows why I'd find a suitcase to be conspicuous) 5 + 7 = why not Mr. META GAMER!
    Fort save: 11.]

Taking a breathe, Kurt regains some sense of composition, notices the standard issue evil businessman briefcase, and figures he'll spend his last moments fulfilling a varyingly mild curiosity to see what's inside before collapsing into a pile of pink jelly. Stumbling over, he tries to open it with his better arm. It's safe to say that if he finds anything in there that could conceivably combat his impending (read at most 18 seconds away) mortality, he'll try it unthinkingly (barring a large label of MORE POISON!!! or such).

Kurt Vescher