New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A Private Party 2 (IC)

Queen Fr'nylyn of Pan'anth, the only halfling queen of all the lands of the continent of Valentoth, has summoned you all to her court. There is to be a celebration of Pan'anth's independence from the neighboring Silesia, as has been done for the last eighty two years. The queen, in hearing of your reputation, has sent out an invite complete with an awaiting coach and driver to take you to her kingdom. The driver hands you a letter that says,

"Dear adventurer,
    Your exploits have traveled far and wide, and I have service of such a talent. I have need that only an outside source can achieve, as I fear my kingdom may be filling with spies. You will be compensated for your trouble, as well as given a plot of land within my domain as a token of my gratitude. If for some reason you can not help me, I would ask that you still travel to the celebration where you will be a guest of honor. Let me also inform you that I have invited several of your old acquaintances as well.

Queen Fr'nylyn"

The trip to the capital city was rather uneventful, and soon you have all found your way to castle. As the queen had been awaiting your arrival, her guards easily spot you and lead you inside. The castle itself is massive and made of a bright white brick allowing it to glimmer in nearly any amount of light. During the day it shines as a beacon to the entire kingdom.

The inside of the castle is just as decorative, though it uses a dark grey brick. Curtains, rugs, and tapestries abound at nearly every turn, usually in a deep red with gold lining. The tapestries indicate the history of the kingdom, having been taken over by a false king, run into the ground economically, invaded by Silesia, and finally reclaimed in the name of Pelor. Queen Fr'nylyn has apparantly ruled for the entirety of the country's independence.

Finally you are guided to an antechamber and asked to wait for the rest of the queen's company to arrive. The room itself is approximately twenty feet to a side with a large rectangular table in the middle. Food adorns the table and all looks quite delicious. As you wait you find you are soon joined by four others. Eventually you realize that you know each of these people.

Gelleron, having had a long trip indeed, took the opportunity to sleep in one of the chairs near the back of the room. As the room began to fill, he awoke with a snore. "Wha...? Wha's goin' on?" he asked, rubbing his face groggily. He wore a set of common looking adventurer's clothes, containing stains, holes, cuts, burn marks, and worn down spots. Overall, however, it all looked as though it was quite nice at one point. There are no weapons visible and for once he doesn't look like a freak of some kind. No horns, no stone skin, no vaporous clouds wisping around him randomly. It would seem he was just a normal human for once.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: A Private Party 2 (IC)

Byorson

Twice as big and twice as ugly, as Gelleron is wont to say, Byorson had no hope of appearing like a normal human. He shifted from thick-booted foot to foot nervously during the wait for the audience with Queen Frindli - Fryngiling - with the Queen. He smiles at Gelleron.

Wake up, ya noodle. Good to see yer not getting any uglier. Guess you got an invite too, huh?

It had been a long trip. It took only the briefest of looks at the carriage for Byorson to offer to follow along above and ahead of the wagon's progress, flying on the even-more-absurdly-big griffon Fallow, seemingly a recent and treasured acquisition, although one he hadn't said much about to his old friends. The combination of griffon and outsized warrior hadn't made their rest stops in towns any easier, but at least Byorson wasn't drinking on this trip. Not yet, anyway.

Byorson's massive brow ridges and pointed teeth hinted heavily about the ogrish part of his heritage, and the hack job he'd done on barbering and shaving himself did nothing to improve the situation. In contrast to the network of scars and pockmarks across his thick frame, the gleaming silvery breastplate he wears is unmarked and new-looking. As usual, a long and slender darkwood spear is resting easily in his hand. A bulging sack hangs from his belt, and a shield, bow and mace weigh down his dappled cloak.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm wondering if it's okay if Byorson was already travelling with Torger's character? That way, we can keep the "carriage" part of the story.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-08-07 at 02:57 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfClericGuy

Gwin MacDonal

Having spent several uncomfortable weeks in the carriage, time that he could have spent researching back at Avalon, Gin enters the overdone ostentation of the fey-kin Queen's castle. Despite the heat, he keeps his cowl drawn and makes no sudden movements, drawing almost no attention next to the boorish ostentation of the half-tamed half-breed.

Gwin smiled slightly to himself. Well, at least with Byorson about, people are less likely to look at me...

Gwin stands tall, for a human, though nothing hen compared to his travelling companion, and does his best to keep his features hidden, even here, in the Queen's anteroom. What can be seen is the occasional flash of red hair or extremely pale, almost sickly, skin. Despite his efforts, though, his presence seems to draw the eye. He walks with a lightness of step that belies his size, and what can be seen of his clothing and trappings indicates wealth.

Hey! It's Gelleron! Hi, Gelleron! A small, piping voice seems to issue from Gwin's cloakpin before he lays a hand over it.

Shhhh, Charles... We are keeping a low profile, remember? Greetings, Gelleron. I have not seen you since your... visit. His voice is rather severe, but it bears the hints of a pleasant Tenor, should its owner choose to be pleasant.
    Last edited by Torger; 2008-08-07 at 03:53 PM.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

4. - Top - End - #4

Gelleron

"Wha... noodle? Hey, who're y... " Gelleron began before stopping mid-sentence. "Mmm, noodles," he said to himself. "Byorson, good to see you are still just as huge, with all the same limbs. How have you..." Again he stopped, but this time he could see a familiar cloaked figure.

"Is that the friendly crystal again, Gwin? You know he always liked me better than you..." Gelleron said as he stood and walked over. He stuck out his hand as if to greet him. "How's that big room you have? Still weird and all that? I remember when I first popped in there... So tell me guys, what have you two been up to?" he asked, indicating Gwin and Byorson.
    Last edited by HellFencer; 2008-08-07 at 04:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Virox

An old, robed man was slowly making his way through the castle, resting on his walking stick every ten paces.
    Not that he really needed a walking stick, mind you - he was still quite fit for his age. He had just noticed that looking older and frailer than he really was tended to make people lower their guard when dealing with him.
    Traveling was simpler for him than for most - travel time is no factor when any place within the plane is a teleport spell away. Now inside the castle, he noticed a small group.
    Hm. Several old friends there. Suspected it was them the letter was referring to.
    Quietly, he approached them.
    "All we need is a certain shadowdancer, and the old party would be complete."
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Grinning broadly, Byorson rushes over to Virox. He seems about to embrace the old mage, then remembers that there are sometimes enchantments surrounding him that makes such spontaneous displays...unhealthful. He settles for a quick nod of the head.

Hey, old man! Good to see you. And yeah - I haven't seen the cat in years. Wonder how...

He seems lost in thought for a moment. Gelleron's question sinks in.

Up to? Death onna bun, you got all night. Figure you're probably the same way. Gwin an me been together about, what's it been, Gwin, three months? Never understood how someone so friendly could make so many enemies.

Byorson's smile takes on a feral glint. He notices Gelleron's unarmed state, and gestures at his hip.

How bout you? You gone all peace-monger now?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #7

Virox

"Hmph. Truth be told, I suspect that I will be declining whichever task her majesty wishes to bestow upon us...I have urgent matters that require my full attention." Such as rescuing my daughter from the Abyss. "I mostly came because I was hoping to find you all...I have something I'm working on, where I will require all the competent help I can get."

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

8. - Top - End - #8

Gelleron

"Peace-monger? Me?" Gelleron took the opportunity to laugh himself silly. Wiping a tear from his eye, he reached into his backpack and pulled out just the handle of a morningstar, a greatsword, a spear of some kind, and a strung bow. He pulled the hairpin hidden in his hair off, and let the magic of his disguise wear off for a moment. Suddenly, the human was his normal odd-self, wearing a strangely designed breastplate, gloves, bracers, and the like all fashioned in the way of an adventurer. To complete the set he had five small stones floating around his head in an intricate pattern.

Gelleron tipped his dark colored spectacles to look at everyone before placing the hairpin, now an actual hat, back onto his head. His previous appearance popped back over the rest of his gear. "Just a bit more inconspicuous these days. Can't be too careful y'know? I get hunted down every once in awhile, so I try to keep a low profile. Wearing all this stuff in public doesn't help my odds...."

Virox's statement was a little odd, though not out of his character. He'd always been rather dry over the years. "Virox, if you're just going to decline, why'd you show up? C'mon, I'm sure whatever queeny has prepped for us will be worth our time. I mean she did manage to find us and bring us all together, right?" He paused, noticing a certain shadowdancer was not among them. "Ok, so almost all of us..."

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by HellFencer View Post
    Gelleron
    Virox's statement was a little odd, though not out of his character. He'd always been rather dry over the years. "Virox, if you're just going to decline, why'd you show up? C'mon, I'm sure whatever queeny has prepped for us will be worth our time. I mean she did manage to find us and bring us all together, right?" He paused, noticing a certain shadowdancer was not among them. "Ok, so almost all of us..."
    Virox

"Like I said, this seemed like a good way to find the rest of you. As for what her majesty has in store for us...Well, obviously I will listen. It is not completely impossible that I will, in fact, take the job. But, as I said, I have certain...priorities, currently."

10. - Top - End - #10

DwarfClericGuy

Gwin

Gwin draws a deep breath, seeming to steel himself, before he throws back his hood and casts off his cloak. His familiar shock of red hair stands out against the anaemic pallor of his skin. He looks like he hasn't seen the sun in a very long time. He is clad, as he was in the past, as the eye-catching warrior-prince. He seems more haggard, though and less pleasant.

Yes, it would be good to get the old brigade together, again. I'd often wondered what you all had gotten up to. I'm sure you've heard of my misfortunes... If you hadn't, you'd most likely be the only ones in the world. How's your daughter, Virox?
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Torger View Post
    Gwin

Yes, it would be good to get the old brigade together, again. I'd often wondered what you all had gotten up to. I'm sure you've heard of my misfortunes... If you hadn't, you'd most likely be the only ones in the world. How's your daughter, Virox?
    Virox

There was a pause. "She would be the aforementioned priority. Or rather, her safety."
    There was a slight clenching of teeth. To anybody who was familiar with the highly self-controlled wizard, that was a strong sign of repressed rage.
    "But that will be best discussed in a more private setting."

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfClericGuy

Gwin

Gwin, not being totally self-involved, nods once. I understand. I've similar priorities, myself, though I had hoped your not-inconsiderable research and knowledge might be plumbed to assist me, but dark discussions for darker times.

Gwin cracks a smile, and immediately seems more like the old, pleasant Gwin. Maybe that mangy flea-bag is already here and hiding behind a tapestry. That boy could hide behind a loose thread...
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Not always from you guys, though. Seem to remember Virox having enough tricks up his sleeve to warrant a whole second set of sleeves.

Intrigued by Virox' talk of troubles with his daughter - what man or beast would be powerful or stupid enough to f*ck with Virox' kinfolk - Byorson decided to settle in here. He began to heap a plate with cold meats and fruits.

14. - Top - End - #14

Gelleron

"Your daughter? Wait... you have family? No one ever told me!" Gelleron threw his hands into the air for a moment. "Well, I can understand your need to save her. I myself am quite familiar with the power of devotion to another being..." He seemed to get a bit distant, looking through Virox instead of at him.

"Tell ya what, if queenie here doesn't have anything good to offer, why don't we all throw in a hand to help Virox? I really wasn't doing anything better, and I could use some excitement." He paused, seeing Byorson go at the food. "H-Hey, leave some for the rest of us!" Gelleron began to heap food onto a plate as well, almost challenging the half-ogre.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by HellFencer View Post
    Gelleron

"Your daughter? Wait... you have family? No one ever told me!" Gelleron threw his hands into the air for a moment. "Well, I can understand your need to save her. I myself am quite familiar with the power of devotion to another being..." He seemed to get a bit distant, looking through Virox instead of at him.

"Tell ya what, if queenie here doesn't have anything good to offer, why don't we all throw in a hand to help Virox? I really wasn't doing anything better, and I could use some excitement." He paused, seeing Byorson go at the food. "H-Hey, leave some for the rest of us!" Gelleron began to heap food onto a plate as well, almost challenging the half-ogre.
    Virox

"I haven't had the opportunity to tell you yet", the mage admitted, "but I adopted the daughter of an old friend from my pre-party days. He and everyone else in their family met their demise, and his will asked that she be sent to me. That was a few years ago..."
    Virox took a look around. This was a royal palace after all, and he made it a point to know what he needed to know about the continent's politics.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Byorson grins back at Gelleron as he too starts to load up.

Hey, you got here first. No point in complaining if you thought a nap was more important than lunch.

He picks up a roast chicken, tears it in half, and sets half back onto the platter. He begins to munch on the rest as he strolls back over to where Virox and Gwin are chatting.

Yeah, Virox. If we can help, you can count on me. Messing with family - that's just stupid. And stupid should be punished, right.

He smiles broadly, and then swallows a chicken thigh whole.

17. - Top - End - #17

DwarfClericGuy

Gwin touches neither food nor drink. Instead, he takes pains to stay out of sight from the opened door and look over his old comrades.

Gentlemen, I would like to offer you the hospitality of my humble abode this evening, as I am not comfortable sleeping places where my body and head can be easily parted. perhaps once the reception with the Queen is completed, we might re-assemble and discuss our various difficulties, and the possibility of some quid pro quo? Though very carefully phrased, it's clear the Gwin has something he would like to spill, though he is not inclined to do so here.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Just as everyone began to settle in, a human guard opened the door leading to the throne room. "It appears that you four will be the only guests today. Please follow me as the Queen is eager to speak with you all," he said, holding the door open from the inside and bowing to everyone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Updated this section 8/15/08 at ~12:10

The throne room was intensely lavish, with nary a square foot of stone to be seen. Massive rugs at least fifty feet both ways cover the floor depicting scenes of war and triumph over the powers of darkness. The walls are home to many windows with twenty foot tall curtains of a deep red velvet. Covering the windows were jeweled designs allowing the sunlight to pour through them and cast their glow upon the room.

The strange thing about the windows was that each of them had actual sunlight coming through them and one could see the outside area surrounding the castle, even though this room was surrounded on all sides by the other rooms in the castle. Even the ceiling had decorations of deep purple and gold velvet cloth. In the center of the room hung a twelve foot across chandelier covered with diamonds of all shapes and sizes.

The throne itself was upon a dais made of a cream colored marble that was designed as concentric circles, the bottom being about fifteen feet around. The chair, though designed to fit a smaller person, still had a ten foot backing. A decadent halfling woman sat atop the throne, one leg dangling over an arm. She wore an outfit obviously designed in another country as the style did not match any of the current trends. It was made of golds, reds, and deep oranges and seemed to shimmer in the light.

Most notable about the huge room was the fact that an apparent party was already in progress. Small groups of four to five people stood around in masquerade masks sipping a deep red wine. As the group entered, many turned to watch them. A few, both men and women, took the time to study the non-monstrous members.

The guard shut the door behind the group and walked to a point in front of the throne and bowed. His arm pointed in the party's direction as he announced, "Your majesty Queen Fr'nylyn, the guests have arrived. May I present Gelleron Balderik, Wielder of Strange Magics, Bobb Byorson, Master of Swordsmanship, Virox, Enforcer of Wizardry, and Gwin MacDonal, Herald of Doom." The guard backed away while still bowing as the group took his place.

The queen took another sip from her wine and smiled at the group in general. "Welcome to my kingdom," she said looking at each member in great detail. Her voice was strong but kind. Differently dressed guards brought a glass of wine to each of the heroes, served on a silver platter. "Please don't be shy. This is the finest wine in the kingdom and I gladly share it," she said taking another sip. "Now, on to our business. I realize all of you lead very busy lives, but I have a task that requires the utmost attention. Many of the kingdom's warriors have given their life in the name of their queen, and it has come to the point where I am requesting foreign aid. I can not sacrifice any more of my people, even if they are willing. I am hoping that heroes of your stature are more suitable to the job."

The queen shifted in her seat indicating for a nearby guard with a hookah to approach her. She began to puff on one of the hoses while she continued. However, everyone noticed that instead of speaking with her voice, she used her mind. It was an noninvasive feeling, though one Gwin was quite familiar with. "I believe this would be a better form of communication. My kingdom, though secure it may seem, is riddled with spies and those that would sell any information they can get. Though I trust those here, I would rather keep this conversation to ourselves. I am in need of an item of great power though it lies far beyond my reach. You are aware that at one time Silesia ruled Pan'Anth unjustly, and though they were routed, a great artifact was stolen from my people. A ring said to give power over anything a person sees. The king of Silesia currently wears it, but fortunately his entire domain is a desolate wasteland. There is not much to hold power over."

The queen stopped a moment to drink again and once more insist the four have another drink of her fine wine. This time her courtiers also bring over plates of cheese and breads, holding them out should one of the heroes desire some. Gelleron, upon seeing the cheeses coming closer to him, jumped behind Gwin and Byorson and narrowed his eyes. "As reward, I can offer many things, wealth, power, land... "

Virox:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Within his mind, Virox heard the queen say, "You, whom I can offer very little, I offer information. Information regarding the whereabouts of Vivalia and Z'hraz. Yes, I have done much research, as this task is intensely important."

Byorson:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Within his mind, Byorson heard, "What would I reward such a wonderous swordsman with? Free training with another master of the blade? A large plot of land within my domain? A kingdom-wide announcement that all half-ogres are welcome within my lands? Name your price, warrior."

Gwin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Within his mind, Gwin heard, "I sense you have the greatest desire of your compainions to set right that which was wrong so many years ago. You seek vengeance, a cleared name, and a long lost embrace. I can offer you one of these things. Which do you place the most value on, I wonder?"

The queen continued again that all four heroes could hear, "What say you all?"
    Last edited by HellFencer; 2008-08-15 at 12:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Pre-announcement.

Byorson grunts his agreement to Gwin's kind offer.

Sure, man. Party at your place!

As the guard makes his announcement, Byorson dumps the remaining food from his plate into his belt sack before striding through the opened doorway.

20. - Top - End - #20

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, go ahead and continue posting... I updated the post above!

21. - Top - End - #21

Virox

Virox looked around. He'd come to expect this level of lavishness from royalty...That they'd actually enchanted the windows just to get a better view was all the proof one could needed they had magic to spare.
    Then the queen made her offer.
    For a few moments, he considered. Mainly, he considered the possibility that he was being misled. It seemed highly unlikely - just knowing about Z'hraz was proof enough that they had indeed done their research, and it would be foolish indeed to make such a deal with him and not keep it. No, this definitely seemed genuine.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Your majesty...You have my interest" he sent telepathically. "Though I'll need to know more about this ring before I give you my final say."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Party. Not his style, though. Byorson returned every stare sent his way, and took the measure of those who seemed like warriors.

The big half-ogre struggled - and failed - to keep his composure as the queen spoke to him in his mind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Awfully nice of you, Highness. But I got my fill of training last year, and got a hankering to do some more travelling before I settle down. And, truth be told, most of the other half-ogres I met ain't worth the water to spit on em. Nah.

Hey, how about this? I help you with this, and you owe me two favours. I figure, this ring sounds like big bad stuff, if you need freaks like us. Maybe you wouldn't mind an IOU or two.

23. - Top - End - #23

DwarfClericGuy

Gwin MacDonal

Gwin cringes visible when the guard casually bandies about both his name and the whole, "Doom Herald" thing. He is rather surprised to be addressed by the queen as he is, but nonetheless, he is interested.

Spoiler
    Show

Dread Queen, your knowledge is far-reaching to overcome even my not inconsiderable safeguards. Your offer is rather intriguing, as is the artefact of which you speak. However, I would require some guarantee that you could perform even one of these actions. My brother's soul appears to be held in some form of dimensional escrow, Ludamilla is being subjected to Nemorga knows what form of tortures, and Elise is... well... She is beyond the reach of all ho would harm her, as well as those who would help her, it seems. I will not flippantly agree to put the lives of all that I have left save for an overly-friendly bauble and a desolate planescape.

Last edited by Torger; 2009-11-23 at 06:30 PM.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Since it seemed rude, even to Byorson, to just stand there doing...mental things...

Delicately lifting the glass of wine between two fingers, Byorson hoists it slightly in a toast to the Queen.

Uh. Thanks for the. Uh. Hospitality and such. The chicken was real good. I'm sure we can find some way to help. With the thing your own folks couldn't handle, I mean.

25. - Top - End - #25

Virox
    Spoiler
    Show
    The queen responded with but a nod to Virox' question concerning the ring.

Byorson
    Spoiler
    Show
    The queen nodded and replied within his mind, "You shall have your favors so long as they do not threaten my rule nor my kingdom's existance."

Gwin
    Spoiler
    Show
    To gwin's reply, the queen smiled genuinely. "I would never speak of such a thing so lightly. This gem you may recognize," she said, slowly pulling out a deep green gem. Along the edges of it was a vibrant blood red color that seemed to stay along the edges no matter which way it was turned.

Gwin indeed recognized it as a Blood Gem, but he'd never seen one so large. There were purported to have the power to bring back the dead, even amongst impossible situaions. However, the cost of using the gem was blood. It was versatile in that it could bring back someone with their own blood, or from one that was related to them.

Upon seeing Gwin's moment of realization, the queen continued, "You have two choices. Your blood or the blood of Bors. It may take an inordinate amount of your own to fill the gap between you and your brother. However, if you were to use the blood of the one that possessed him..." She left the thought to linger within his mind.

The queen sent her responses to each member in turn, during which time she held up a small green crystal that was a blood red along its edges. Quickly it was returned to a pocket. As if she hadn't noticed before, her eyes get a little wider and her expression changes to amusement. "It seems your friend has made his way to the court afterall. I applaud such an entrance, Vadis, Walker in the Shadows, Master of the Bloodpaw." She met Vadis' eyes as she spoke this most secret of names.

Vadis
    Spoiler
    Show
    The queen spoke telepathically with Vadis, knowing to be brief with such a being. "I can supply you with a modicum of revenge that you seek. You wish to find those responsible for the loss of your guild. My sources know where they may be located, and subsequently forced to reveal more information. Is this offer satisfying?"

The halfling queen shifted in her very large throne, crossing her legs in such a way as to reveal three fourths of them from beneath her dress. Her shoes were gem encrusted on a base of what looked green velvet. She pointed at the servant whom had served the drinks and a momentary lapse in his magic revealed him as a 5' tall black cat wearing a fine black coat with silver embroidery, a fingerless glove on one hand, and an eyepatch. If that was not enough to confirm his identity, his backward hands common only to Rakshasas were all the proof needed.

"The nature of the ring I would have you seek is one of dire consequence. King Varghas, or the King of the Unending Wastes, wears and uses his ring constantly. It is the reason his lands are encroaching on all those around him. The ring itself is a massive gem of tourmaline set upon a band of electrum and platinum. It was crafted through the combined efforts of a necromancer and a warmage. It is aptly titled Blackfire, as it has power not only to conflagrate immense areas, but also to control unknown hordes of the dead.To fuel such unholy and great power, however, it consumes the very earth, transforming the nearest vegetation and nutrients into desolate sandy waste."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

The servant holding the silver tray that Byorson had taken smirks, and with a bow, transforms into the black-furred rakshasa that you're familiar with. The thief does not seem to have his usual assortment of weaponry and magic items, indeed- it appears that he's carrying little more than the clothes on his back.

With a bow for the Queen, Vadis intones in a deep basso purr "Forgive me, majesty. As you are no doubt aware, I have had my share of problems, and I merely wanted to be certain that neither I nor my companions were walking into a trap."

Nodding as if to something unspoken, Vadis bows deeply again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Very well my queen- I will aid your quest. But I would require the services of your networks of spies should we succeed. Information is power, and I shall need power against my enemies while I track them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Startled when the servant changes into his old companion, Byorson barks a laugh. Assuming that the shapeshifter was having some kind of conversation with the queen, the way he also had, Byorson waits until his eyes snap to again, and then claps a hand on Vadis' back in greeting.

Crap! Nice work, there, bud. Had me completely fooled.

Turning to the task being assigned to them, Byorson thinks it over laboriously. It's possible, if one listens carefully, to hear the gears creaking.

So, he's got this ring that turns plants and stuff into fire and lots of undead. Does that mean that if we catch him somewhere without trees and stuff, and without dead bodies around, it doesn't work?

28. - Top - End - #28

DwarfClericGuy

Gwin MacDonal

At the sight of the stone, Gwin's Mouth hangs open, and moves as if he's to say something, but no words come out. Finally, he closes his mouth, swallows, and re-composes himself. In the depths of their minds, the others hear him speak. This Queen has many resources at her command. Tread carefully, friends.

Spoiler
    Show

Directing his attention back to the opulent queen, Gwin casts out his thoughts. Truly, Dread Queen, the nature of your quest is immaterial to me. I've nothing left to care for in this world. However, you do offer one of the few things that would compel me to return to the Prime, so I will take on this endeavour for you.

Gwin bows in the style that was common in his homeland, before the Incident, and only then does he take a goblet from a tray.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vadis

Aside, meant only for his friends to hear, Vadis rumbles "None of these goblets are poisoned- I checked them. Twice." Yet, still he doesn't take one.

With one of his rare smiles, Vadis slaps Byorson on the back in return, and whispers, "You should watch what you eat- I had fifteen opportunities to poison you on the way in here."

The ruse over, Vadis hands the silver platter to one of the actual servants, and with obvious suspicion watches the other guests at the party. Even though one eye is covered with an eyepatch, he doesn't demonstrate any blind spots in his field of vision.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vadis is watching those around him through the Gem of True Seeing secreted in his eyepatch, and comparing that to the image presented by his other eye. Through years of practice, he is able to do this without giving himself a migraine.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

The big craggy-faced warrior looks down at his old companion with a wry smile. His whisper is not so careful.

Sh*t, man, I been poisoned so many times, I come to like the taste. You know better than that. Sides.

His grin widens.

I got you to watch my back, right?