New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Private Party 2 (IC)

The strange man known as Gelleron began to bounce around as the group was transported to the unknown city. He looked here and there and was almost ready to run off when he noticed Gwin was preparing to transport them yet again. "Aww man, the tinglies from the first trip haven't left yet! I'm not re--" he said aloud as they were all transported yet again.

As the spell faded again, the group found themselves within the center of a bustling marketplace. The hot, arid air smacked their senses and was uncomfortable at the very least. The severe heat that was seemingly inescapable forced almost every single person to wear layers of clothing so as to insulate and deflect the sure death that would come from dehydration or worse.

The market slowed to a near stop as the band of travelers appeared out of thin air. People crooned their necks to catch a glance, but eventually people went back to their business, satisfied merely to stare.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Byorson looks down and around at the people of the market. He glances around at his companions, and waves cheerfully to a small child who was hanging upside down from the crosspole of a stall, goggling, presumably at the giant and the cat-man. And the other two who have just appeared out of nowhere.

Psst! Vadis! He adds in his worst stage whisper. I think they might have seen through our disguise.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #93

Gelleron

Hard not to overhear Byorson, Gelleron interjected, "Disguise? Y'mean like this?" Touching his head gently, his features blinked from his apparently normal garb to that of a series of shifts, scarves, and light-looking garments layered together. The human grinned widely as the sun was now no longer in his eyes. The child that was watching the group smiled with excitement and nearly fell off the stable-post in order to run up to them.

The boy's first inclination was to speak with Gelleron, but as he seemed rather preoccupied with his narcissism, Byorson was the next choice. "Oh wow! I never seen anybody as big as you! We got lots of weird people here, 'cuz of the trade road." His accent was as apparent as his lack of education. The boy's inspection continued along to Gwin and the few of his visible red locks, and finally to Vadis. This was a creature the boy had never seen either, and it was obvious by the amount of silent staring he did. In fact, it was a new event to have a Rakshasa around, as many peeple seemed to be staring at him the most.

Gelleron's appearance changed a few more times, simply for coloring and minor detail within his garments as he continued to study the denizens of the desert. After several minutes within what seemed to be the bustling area of the village, it became obvious that many of the inhabitants were elves, though one could tell only by their eyes and scarce visibility of their ears. As expected, their skin was darker than that of a "normal" elf. Even the small boy whom was studying Vadis was an elf.

Nothing within the village was a permanent structure, instead being a series of robust tents that could be uprooted if necessary.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Byorson's face cracks into a wide grin, and he leans down to talk with the boy.

Yeah, well there's two secrets to getting really big. The first is not to eat any vegetables. The second...I'll tell you, if you tell me if the big floating castle has been around here any time lately.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not that Byorson's REALLY expecting trouble, but...he'll have Hunter's Sense and Hearing the Air (30' blindsense, listen bonuses) stances active for the time being.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vadis

The rakshasa doesn't even have time to protest that they're not ready to go yet when suddenly they're there. The sun is blindingly hot overhead, and the air has the feeling of a sand-filled oven. Coughing and shading his eyes, Vadis is surprised at how calmly the child approaches him. And the others as well, but mostly him. Taking out a real-life head wrap, Vadis deftly ties the thing around his head before changing form to appear as a dark-skinned human with thick brows.

Watching the child suspisciously, Vadis meets his gaze without blinking.

6. - Top - End - #96

The small elven boy took a step back as Vadis changed his appearance into a human. His eyes got wide and he said, "Oooohhh, so yer a human really? Neat!" it was obvious this boy hadn't seen much magic in his day. In the excitement, he had almost forgotten Byorson's question. He looked at the half-ogre and put a finger to his chin. He thought a moment and said, "I think it was nearby a month ago. It was far away and had a bunch of sand all around it, like a sandstorm!"

Just as the child threw his hands in the air and proclaimed a storm, several residents looked to the horizon with urgency. A moment later, an elven woman with deep green eyes like emeralds rushed up and grabbed the boy by the hand, bowing her head to the group. "I apologize for my son, he lets his imagination run wild." The woman was covered from head to toe, save for her eyes. She bowed her head again and pulled the child along off through the crowd. "Awww mom! I was guna be strong!"

Nearby, a vendor was haggling a strange lot of items that, with a little further inspection, could be seen at other stalls in the marketplace. He had weapons displayed that seemed to have metal colored like a slightly transparent blueish steel. Gelleron, satisfied with his appearance finally, looked up and saw the vendor. He smiled and walked up, taking a look at the selection.

(Spot checks!)

Spoiler
    Show
    Logain, whilst in this new form, do your hands still appear / function as your real hands, I.E. with a backwards wrist joint?

Toliudar, what does it take to switch stances? If it requires an action, is it visually just a shift of the way you are standing or what?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanically, switching either of my stances is a swift action.

In terms of appearance, it can be whatever we want. I think of most of them as being sort of resident in the body, like chakras or energy points, so he might have some small physical gesture that usually accompanies such actions. A slight sideways tilt of the head for Hear the Unseen, a flexing of the knees for Thicket of Blades, a flaring of the nostrils for Hunter's Sense. That kind of thing.

Sound okay?

Spot check: (1d20+9)[14]

Byorson thanked the boy with a wave.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-11-21 at 11:47 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98

DwarfClericGuy

(1d20+4)[18]

I am the very model of a modern major genreal. I've information vegetable, animal and mineral. I quote the kings of england, and can name the fights, historical, from Marathon to Waterloo in order Categorical.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

As Gelleron wanders off to look at swords, Byorson turns to the other two. His voice is low. Well, as low as it gets.

A month ago. Well, maybe somebody here knows if it keeps a regular schedule. Figure out where it's most likely to be. Meantime, wanna shop? Need a nice rug for your fancy castle, Gwin?

10. - Top - End - #100

(I forgot I had you guys make spot checks!!! Ugh, I'm so lame sometimes. I'll get this moving forward tomorrow, I.E. Friday)

11. - Top - End - #101

Several minutes pass and eventually everyone began to notice that there was a figure watching the group in particular. It was different enough from how everyone else was glancing at them for the group to notice, Vadis in particular.

The figure was clad in darker, more neutral tones as if to be able to blend in with the sands if one wanted. It stayed on the outskirts of the market, but always seemed to be watching them from a shadow or from behind several people. Finally, just as everyone was beginning to get on edge, Byorson turned around to look at a booth and came face to face with the figure. It was a human of unknown gender as only its eyes were viewable. It stood at a meager five feet and some odd inches with its hands behind its back.

"Ohh, there you are! I've been looking all over for you! Please come this way, I will buy you a drink." The voice was probably male, but it was hard to tell by that alone. The figure reached out for Byorson and tugged on him by the pinky finger, trying to lead him toward an area that was less populated. Were there any resistance, he would lean over and whisper, "I hear you're looking for the castle. I might know something, but we can't talk here. Spies and all that."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

The big man had spent a fair portion of his short and eventful life being pulled places by mysterious strangers. In fact, a reasonable portion of how his short life had been so eventful had been the fact that he'd almost always gone with them. Today was no different.

Glancing around at his companions, Byorson gives a big, cheerful thumbs up, and gratefully follows the shrouded stranger.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vadis

Vadis is uneasy with the stranger watching them- eyes that stayed too long on him usually had bad repercussions, in his experience. Waiting for a distraction that would allow him to sneak off and confront the watcher, Vadis is surprised when the stranger approaches the group as tugs on Byorson to accompany him. Or her. Vadis wasn't close enough to get any sort of scent.

Stealthily sliding one of the twin kurkis he carried out of its sheath, Vadis conceals the blade in the folds of his clothes, and follows the watcher and Byorson.
    Last edited by Logain; 2008-12-08 at 09:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104

The figure seemed not to notice Vadis' knife trick as it simply lead the huge man by the pinky. It lead them into a back alley, far away from the hustle and bustle of the marketplace. The figure turned and looked at them both, then looked behind them as it pulled the veils from its face. It was a male elf and his eyes rested on a strangely garbed Gelleron waltzing up. "Hey guys, what's going on?" Gelleron blurted out.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Byorson grimaces at Gelleron, and gestured for him to approach. Byorson crouches to bring him down to the elf's eye level. By way of answering, and at the same time prompting the strange elf forward in his telling, he rumbles, fairly softly.

Got a new friend here, knows something about the palace. And bud, don't worry about Kat-Man-Doo over there. It's really hard to sneak up on us.

Tilting his big misshapen head, he waits for more from the elf.

16. - Top - End - #106

The elf dropped the look of worry that was growing on his face as he was reassured by Byorson. "Right. Friend of yours. He always look like that?" The elf was a little distracted by Gelleron's choice of colors and decision to change them every minute or so. He shook his head and looked to the large man again. "So, you seek the floating castle then? It is a dangerous place, assuring most a painful death. Why would you seek it out? Glory? Riches? Perhaps you wish to relieve that bastard of his power?" The elf's eyes widened at his last statement and he quickly looked around as if someone could hear him.

The elf pulled the veils back up over his face so that only his eyes were showing. It seemed he was covering something up, rather than protecting himself from the sands. His eyes went back to normal and he motioned for everyone to gather closer. Gelleron was now emulating the elf exactly and the only way to tell them apart was the direction they were facing. The elf shook his head a little at the man and continued anyways. "He is not well liked around here, but he pays his mercenaries good coin to keep an eye out. One can't be too careful."

Vadis' nose picked up the scent of someone strange and unique, coming from behind. Byorson's blindsense was telling him that there was movement on the edge of his range, coming from the left. It felt a little too deliberate to just be a wanderer. "If you remember one thing about Varghas, its that he has an insatiable temper. I don't really know if that's a weakness, but I think its your best bet if you come face to face with him. Thing is, its hard to get that close. There's a barrier around the castle that is certain death if you touch it unless you have the key," the elf said.

Spoiler
    Show
    I need a spot check from you guys. Vadis' is representing his scent (there's not a scent check...), and Byorson's is representing his familiarity with blindsense.

17. - Top - End - #107

DwarfClericGuy

Gwin follows the group rather sedately, taking in the newfound lead's statements, and processing them with the proverbial grain of salt. (Expending my Psionic Focus and Gaining a +10 to my Sense Motive for a +22)

Concentrating, Gwin sends out a searching thought, curious if the elf is on the level.

(Will Saves from everyone within a 60' cone of me, and everyone hears a slight rinnging in their ears for a brief moment. Manifesting Read Thoughts.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen: (1d20+32)[34]
    Spot: (1d20+9)[19]
    Sense motive on the elf: (1d20+24)[37]
    Will save vs read thoughts (unlikely, but what the heck): (1d20+17)[29]

Byorson's surface thoughts: "So how in the hell do we get a key?"

The elf's initial question draws a lopsided grin from Byorson.

Nah. Sometimes, he's REALLY ugly.

As for why we want in, I figure you ain't no agent of Varghas. And you figure that the weirdo's like us aren't no friend of his either. More than that, I probably shouldn't say. Just like I ain't asking you why you're telling us this, right?

So...where do we find a key to this place?

Byorson doesn't move his head, but he glances over at Vadis sharply, and then shifts his gaze behind Vadis, before returning his eyes to the elf.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-12-12 at 11:57 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vadis

Vadis, catching a whiff of something, pretends not to notice, and draws a larger breath, hoping to gain more information about this threat before striking.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: 1d20+12 [roll=1d20+12]
    Listen: 1d20+21 [roll=1d20+21]
    Sense Motive (Elf boy): 1d20+25 [roll=1d20+25]
    Will Save: 1d20+17 [roll=1d20+17]

Bluff: 1d20+30 [roll=1d20+30] (to fool the 'presence' approaching, or anyone watching me, into thinking that I'm unaware).
    Hide: 1d20+27 [roll=1d20+27] (to wait for the right moment, duck behind a barrel or crate or something, so I can move around to flank this 'new figure')

I'm drawing my second blade under my robes as well (using quick draw to make it a free action).
    Last edited by Logain; 2008-12-12 at 01:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

The elf nodded to Byorson and tapped one of his temples gently. "Say no more, oh large one." It was obvious he was used to this kind of work.

A pulse of sound rang in everyone's ears and within a moment Gwin was aware of the surface thoughts of everyone around him.

Byorson and Vadis both pick up on the presence of figures trying to sneak up on them. Vadis knows they are relatively close, as he can smell the rank sweat on one of them. Gelleron stopped mocking the elf long enough to notice movement as well. His mouth moved behind the faux veils and a whisper in the air said, "They come for us. Be ready."

For Gwin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The elf: "Could these guys really pull this off? Maybe they'll die just like the countless others... Can't believe I've been doing this for years now. Tork better pay up for all my precious time!" (You sense he is sincere and means you no direct harm)

Various market people: "Oh, this looks nice. Is it real?", "C'mon lady, just buy something already!", "Hey buddy, watch where you're going!" (You sense no harmful or misleading intentions)

Unidentified people: "Just stand still...", "Why is that guy changing so much? Disguises only work if you keep them..." (You sense harmful intent)

Gelleron: You feel a force pushing you away from Gelleron's mind that is not his own.
    Last edited by HellFencer; 2008-12-30 at 02:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

DwarfClericGuy

Telepathically, Gwin speakes to his fellows. There are those with hostile intent near by. Make ready.

Gelleron
    Spoiler
    Show

Are you alright?

As the words echo in the minds of the group, a creshendoing bass hum sounds, and is suddenly silenced. This is immediately followed by a gasping sound akin to that made by a fish out of water.

Spoiler
    Show

Manifesting Solicit Psicrystal and then Crisis of Breath, augmented by six power points to affect each hostile mind I can touch up to four (Unless there's more than four that I can identify, in which case, I'll manifest it powerful enough to affect all of them). DC for the save is 23, and I'm regaining my psionic focus.
    Last edited by Torger; 2008-12-31 at 01:27 PM.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

The big man knows roughly where these opponents are, and knows that they mean harm. That's pretty much all he needs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+11)[14]

Crusader Maneuvers NOT initially Granted: (1d11)[7], (1d11)[10]
    Reroll in case the two numbers above are the same (1d11)[9]

I'll post an action once I know what maneuvers I have open to me.

Edit: So, no Strike of Righteous Vitality or White Raven Tactics.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-12-31 at 02:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson leaps towards the spying opponents, and his friends feel a surge of confidence, as if they could do so as well. His thoughts echo back through Gwin's link.

C'mon, guys. Gwin's got the right idea. No sense letting them make the first move.

His ugly, pitted face shows a kind of feral joy. Byorson's spear crackles with red lightning, and lashes out towards - something.

Spoiler
    Show
    War Master's Charge to move towards the closest of the invisible opponents. Between blindsense and scent, he should be able to at least get it down to the right square.

Everyone else can, on their initiative, also charge the same opponent if they wish. I doubt Gwin would have wanted to, but this may be of use for our new elf friend.

On a successful attack, he deals an extra 50 points of damage, and everyone else who attacks does an additional 25 points. We get a cumulative +2 attack bonus for everyone who chooses to join in the charge. If more than 1 of us successfully hits, the opponent is automatically stunned for 1 round.

At the end of his charge, Byorson uses a swift action to shift from Hunter's Sense stance to Thicket of blades. Any opponent within 15' of him is subject to attacks of opportunity if they take even so much as a 5' step.

Charging attack (longspear): (1d20+35)[54] plus any bonuses accrued above
    Piercing damage: (2d6+79)[85]
    Dispel check vs illusion: (1d20+10)[23]
    Fire damage: (1d6)[4]
    Electricity damage: (1d6)[1]
    Extra damage if human: (2d6)[5]
    Extra damage if the target has spells or SLA's: (2d6)[4]

No miss chance due to concealment, and a targeted dispel if the opponent is using an illusion effect of any kind thanks to Illusion Bane (see below):

Spoiler
    Show
    Any attack with an illusion bane weapon ignores any miss chance created by an illu*sion effect (including effects that mimic illusions, such as a displacer beast's dis*placement effect). However, you must still target the correct square when making an attack against a for that has total con*cealment. This is a continuous effect and requires no activation. In addition, once per day you can acti*vate an illusion bane weapon to destroy illusion effects. This ability can take one
    of two forms: After hitting a creature, you can activate the weapon in the same round to make a dispel check (1d20+10) against each illu*sion spell currently affecting the target.
    This effect essentially acts as a targeted dispel magic spell, but it functions only against magic of the illusion school. You must make a separate check for each illu*sion spell affecting the target. Alternatively, you can attempt to dispel a single illusion by touching it with the illusion bane weapon and speaking the appropriate command word. For example,
    touching a silent image spell (or an image generated by the mirror image spell) with the weapon subjects it to the dispel check immediately. A successful check against any part of the illusion dispels the whole effect, so dispelling one mirror image ends the spell entirely for the target creature.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2009-01-02 at 02:05 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Lights a candle in the window for HellFencer.

25. - Top - End - #115

Byorson leapt into the fray, eager to take down his target. His spear crackled with red lightning and forced its way into the gut of an invisible man. Out the backside, a spray of blood and viscera covered the sandy street.

Vadis could smell the taint of death surrounding the men and spun to strike at one with a devastating speed. His blades slashed across the man's abdomen and face, instantly sending him to the ground, never to move again.

Gwin's power reverberated through the air and found the mind's of his foes with ease. They all dropped to the ground, gasping for breath. The bodies of their comrades became visible once more as the life left them. Vadis and Byorson both felt the nigh exact presence of where the last three foes remained.

Holding a hand to his throat and gasping for air, one of the men reappeared as he threw a small pointed sliver of metal at Byorson. The metal clinked off his armor harmlessly.

Gelleron spun around, looking back and forth and finally said, "Woah! Since when were we surrounded!?" The elf simply shook his head and replied, "Even I could tell there were others getting near." He took a look at one of the men and said, "These are Varghas' men, I'm sure of it."
    Last edited by HellFencer; 2009-01-22 at 09:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Byorson shifts to ensure that the chunk of thrown metal struck the heaviest section of his armour, then smiled in a not so friendly, last thing you'll ever see way at the thrower.

Spoiler
    Show
    Finding out what maneuver I get. (1d2)[1]. Strike of Righteous Vitality. I'll have to wait to tonight to post, as am away from books.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2009-01-21 at 03:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Byorson

Byorson dashes off a thought to Gwin before he reacts physically.

"You only need one alive, right?

He focuses his energies on the two who have failed to act yet, fearing that they may have something greater planned. Byorson's spear whirls around at the two men, almost faster than the eye can see.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using the Time Stands Still maneuver to take two full attack actions. He'll attack one of the invisibile guys within reach (anyone from 10'-20' away from him will be in strike range) until he falls, then switch to the other one. Taking a 5' step at the top of this action, if necessary to line the two guys up. Five points of power attack.

Attack 1: (1d20+28)[41]
    Piercing damage (4d6+39)[52]
    Fire Damage: (1d6)[3]
    Electricity damage: (1d6)[6]
    Extra piercing damage if they have spells or SLA's: (2d6)[8]

Attack 2: (1d20+23)[35]
    Piercing damage (4d6+39)[58]
    Fire Damage: (1d6)[1]
    Electricity damage: (1d6)[3]

Attack 3: (1d20+18)[26]
    Piercing damage (4d6+39)[59]
    Extra piercing damage if they have spells or SLA's: (2d6)[11]

Attack 4: (1d20+13)[15]
    Piercing damage (4d6+39)[53]
    Extra piercing damage if they have spells or SLA's: (2d6)[9]

Attack 5: (1d20+28)[36]
    Piercing damage (4d6+39)[54]
    Electricity damage: (1d6)[4]
    Extra piercing damage if they have spells or SLA's: (2d6)[5]

Attack 6: (1d20+23)[37]
    Piercing damage (4d6+39)[58]
    Fire Damage: (1d6)[4]
    Electricity damage: (1d6)[2]
    Extra piercing damage if they have spells or SLA's: (2d6)[7]

Attack 7: (1d20+18)[33]
    Piercing damage (4d6+39)[57]
    Electricity damage: (1d6)[5]

Attack 8: (1d20+13)[30]
    Piercing damage (4d6+39)[55]
    Electricity damage: (1d6)[6]
    Extra piercing damage if they have spells or SLA's: (2d6)[5]