New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Of Light, Life and Liches

Matthias...

...hasn't had to pull this maneuver very often, but he has been caught lying down before. A twist, a good, two-handed grip on his axe, and an arcing slice for the throat of the nearest worg...

"YEEEAAAAAGGGHHH"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is this a surprise round? Or just an AOO? Or are we rolling initiative?

Regardless, Matthias takes his free action to yell and an AOO on whoever he gets an AOO on. I'm not sure what the penalty is for attacking from prone, but the basic roll is:

Attack Roll (Axe): (1d20+18)[36]
    Damage Roll: [roll]1d8+1d6+5[/roll]

I feel compelled to point out, metagame, that I can't kill a worg in one shot, so I really hope the others can finish him. It's just Radley who's in danger now, right?

Edit: Crap, messed up the damage roll.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-11-01 at 03:23 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damage:
    (1d8)[6]
    (1d6)[5]

Add those two numbers to five (+1 axe, and I'm two-handing it in melee instead of throwing it) will get the correct damage.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What do you mean you can't kill a Worg in one shot?

Statistics aren't up to you!

I'll wait for the other two to post before writing some more. And I don't care what your Weapons Master says about doing this and how doomed you are (I don't necessarily disagree with him) at the same time I say -- think like a Ninja.

This is an AoO and not a surprise round, and no need to roll for initiative. Whatever it is, CdG is a Full-round action and AoOs are resolved first.
    Last edited by Faithdreamer; 2008-11-01 at 07:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Green Man

The Green Man waits until he feels the wash of hot breath on his face. Then his eyes slide open. "Boo." His hands slip out and he seizes the Worg by its hackles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can't coup de grace if you're grappling. (1d20)[20] + 14, (1d20)[5] +9.
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-11-01 at 11:48 PM.
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Adun

Having no weapons of his own Adun is near helpless himself but seeing the worgs snaps his attention into combat. His body shimmers and then bursts forth in a brilliant silver radiance as he leaps at the beast and attempts to hold it back while the others assault it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Free action to activate Incarnum Radiance.
    Share Incarnum Radiance option used. All Good aligned allies within 30ft gain +2 untyped AC.
    Touch attack to enter a grapple. (1d20+6)[13]
    Grapple Check (1d20+6)[23]
    Aiming at the one that will CdG, or aiding in a grapple
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Amos' face flickered for a moment as distress, a pained glimpse of hurtful confusion, flashed across his features at the dryad's sudden rejection. Amos had to confess, he didn't really... know... much of what he was doing. He'd been raised in a tavern full of retired priests and priestesses! Sure, he'd... he'd kissed a few women... even been in love once, but...

This was not fair!

Keeping the flickering fire of his temper in check, deep in the back of his mind, Amos did what any man would do in his situation; plead.

"Please, do not take it that way! I've... I do desire what you know, but I wish you to share it freely, when you desire to do so... not now, not... not yet..." Amos' hand reached up, gently running uncertain fingers through Ohmi's hair, before carefully coming to rest at the nape of her neck. Her slender, beautiful neck...

"Forgive me, Ohmi... I'm just... new to this..." Amos stared back into Ohmi's eyes, face awash in the cold, cold sea of unfamiliarity and uncertainty... of vulnerability, as if one really could get more vulnerable than Amos in his present situation.

"Please... will you teach me?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ooooooh, snap! Well, I'd like to try for a Diplomacy roll, if that'll influence Ohmi's attitude. Assuming... that this really is Ohmi... I'm... really hoping it is. >.>

(1d20+14)[17] That's 12 ranks, +2 synergy bonus, no ability score bonus, as, I'm still kind of flying blind...

...clearly, my dice have put some manner of hex on me. That's what I get for buying new DMing dice.
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2008-11-02 at 12:44 PM.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

Parallels

After a vicious slap, her mouth is quick to follow up. “Greasy cockroach, you can have all my words.” She is considerably rougher with you, shrinking away from your hand like it‘s a pile of disgusting refuse. She wrenches on your body, and you see numb, killing hate in her eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amos gets an AoO to resist her Grapple Check.
    (1d20+8)[21]Ohmi’s Grapple
    Boss Scar

Ridiculous – you weren’t the only ones who found that. Humans just weren’t that good at hearing things. The Worg that Adun was trying to grab didn’t look like it had a very hard time avoiding his hands. They may as well have been paws for all he cared. The Worg made it look very easy, and its expressive face looked very pensive.

“Hn, hn, hn, always so confused, Silt. Close your mouth, you’re embarrassing me.”

The tough-sounding voice came out of the Worg who was creeping up on you. He wasn’t bothered when Matthias pulled his axe out of the Worg the Green Man held a second ago. He titled his head to sniff appreciatively at the blood covering the Bugbear. From that gesture alone, you get the feeling he’s killed a few Worgs himself, recently.

“Aw, but Scar, humans don’t do that! Humans are dumb-food!”

Dumb Silt, shut up brother! They’re supposed to introduce themselves before we tell them our names. That’s the rules!

As Matthias knew Worgs would, they spoke common perfectly; like they were less a pair of dogs and more like unearthly spirits. The Worg called Silt crouched low to the ground and backed away from Adun, a very good actor who was pretending to be a worthless frail mutt. He didn’t say anything, but he whined. Yes Boss.

When Scar was looking the other way, a snarl flickered across Silt’s face. You ass, later I’ll bite your ankle. The forest was still quiet.

“Get out bear, and take your men with you. This is my forest. That’s the rules.” Scar was covered in old lesions, most of them discoloured, with some new ones that were quite obviously infected. He was a stubborn, strong Worg, and he was smart enough to keep his distance just like his brother.

8. - Top - End - #308

The Green Man

"Forest's all yours. We don't want it, unlike some." He inclines his head roughly Darvis-wards. "I don't suppose you've had a lot of creatures trying to muscle in on your territory lately, hm?"
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-11-02 at 06:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

The ranger climbs roughly to his feet and shakes himself awake. "Where is Forge?"

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Radley woke up with a start, but after that first jerky movement he has been completely still. Only his eyes move, darting back and forth from worg to worg to ally to ally. Talking dogs! It wasn't unheard of in his arcane studies, but he never was much of a student. And having them stand on you wasn't the same as reading about them, anyway. He wracks his mind for the appropriate spell to destroy them all, should it become necessary.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of course," was all Amos said. He returned the hatred filled stare with the same look of reckless determination he had given Temun when the spirit possessing the boy had attacked him. Thus far... the dryad had been tangible... so Amos shoved his open palm violently at her... chest... still hesitant to damage the dryad's beauty.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once more, without ability modifiers.
    Unarmed Attack: (1d20+7)[19]
    Crit (if even possible): (1d20+7)[15]
    Damage (Ha!): (1d3)[2] Subdual (HA!)

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

*poke* *pokepokepoke*

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Stop poking me. There are four sailors in a marooned tavern singing songs about some country they may or may not be from. A crazy girl is with them. Go rescue those sailors while you're waiting, because they tell funny jokes about blunt swords and something about gods, creating humanity and sensibility.

They're vitally important to the movement and function of the universe, I can tell.

Let me finish a few things and I'll move the story after that.
    Last edited by Faithdreamer; 2008-11-07 at 03:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithdreamer View Post
    Stop poking me. There are four sailors in a marooned tavern singing songs about some country they may or may not be from. A crazy girl is with them. Go rescue those sailors while you're waiting, because they tell funny jokes about blunt swords and something about gods, creating humanity and sensibility.

They're vitally important to the movement and function of the universe, I can tell.

Let me finish a few things and I'll move the story after that.
    I don't know, sailors aren't my type. Can I rescue the crazy girl instead? Or maybe... just make my own blunt sword jokes?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well if you rescue her, you have to rescue the midget who jumped in the red van with her. And he'll want you to rescue the other sailors who, let's face it, may not even be real sailors but people pretending to be sailors because they found a few outfits.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Whoa.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Right, so the four of you are supposed to help a girlfriend and myself save the universe. You're like, Knights Templar or something right? I know the order is a pain in the neck sometimes, but really, Knights are supposed to be Knights in Shining Armour. So take it seriously, be good, and be virtuous and everything. Use your morals, your heart, your mind, your body.

Strong Heart. Strong Mind. Strong Spirit. Strong Body.

Think for yourselves. You know how everything feels all 'not-quite-as-nice as it should be? Yeah, that's the universe out of whack. So, I'll do my thing over here, and you do your thing over there and eventually we'll see each other. No matter time or distance, place or situation, keep the goal of making Heaven Heavenly at the front of your thoughts.

All those important people can't do everything on their own. When people tell you not to be so self-important, tell them not to underestimate their own importance. Believe in yourselves.

Oh, and I'm one step closer to being finished so when I'm done this I'll write more for this D&D game.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    For the record, I'm totally the big, burly Templar with a beard the size of his temper; rough about the edges, abrasive, sarcastic... and lonely.

You guys can have a girlfriend; it's way more interesting to play a tragic or emotional role, than a cheerful and happy one.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    @ MountainKing
    No it isn’t, I think you’d rather be a happy person. I would want to be a happy person, and deep down that tragic exterior is hiding a fluffy, soft heart of gold; probably coated in caramel and hazelnut, or plain dark chocolate with hot fudge. Tragedy is called heart-wrenching because even though it pulls on yours, it broke someone else’s, ne?

It isn’t a very nice feeling, I think emotion shows your heart really is precious, somewhere deep down.

@ Everyone
    Edmund Burke said at least one good quote:

‘The only thing necessary for Evil’s triumph is for good persons to do nothing’. Otherwise, evil is pretty much done for.

Remember it when they twist or break your heart, and you lose your way to despair.

I finished some stuff, I’ll work on this game now.

Important Question
    What’s the Knights’ code of honour?

P.S - My Wife is the awesomest Sun ever. I'm going to marry Amaterasu, the Shinto Sun Spirit.
    Last edited by Faithdreamer; 2008-11-07 at 04:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

Suppleness
    Amos’s hesitation was good for him; emotion made his heart soft enough to be moulded by feeling. He’d heard enough stories, something was in his mind. Some things had the power to make traitors of parts of himself he should never have had to suspect.

Not his body, his mind and heart. Ohmi was too soft to be struck like that. Instead, his fingertips brushed across her chest. Her body ‘melted’ along his own, gentle and fresh smells mingled with eerie smoke smells. Her eyes were half closed, with a purposeful light behind them, and she didn’t so much as make a sound when she made for his lips. Was it her intoxicating breath..?

Spoiler
    Show
    NOTE: Ohmi’s Grapple is 20, Amos must roll an opposed check to get a bigger number than that number.
    Boss Scar

“Absolutely, lots and lots. Now my whole family is dead, you want to see?” He doesn’t answer Matthias, probably because he doesn’t think the ranger’s question is significant. Or maybe because he doesn’t realize he’s being talked to. Either way, it’s a curiosity in the air.

“Sticking around here is your own dumb fault.” Silt’s interjection was met with merciless backtalk.

“Shut up, brother, I’m talking here!” Scar didn’t growl yet. He was eyeing up the group again, sizing up his chances or deciding whether or not he wanted to eat you. Or call the others in to attack.

“Aw, Scar I’m so hungry I could eat those flowers. Don’t these idiots have any food?”

“These idiots were the food”, Scar looked at the Green Man’s face unabashedly. “Follow me, Bear teeth, or I’ll wear what you’ve got inside that snout like a crown.” Scar didn’t pause to see if your group was coming along. He turned his back on you like an Alpha, and sauntered off into the forest. Silt’s face was strange, with one half seeming to be larger than the other, more afraid, and the other half slightly smaller but completely emotionless.

It looked like Scar would wander off no matter what, and you had a few options. There was Forge, who needed finding. Your campsite wouldn’t take care of itself. You still hadn’t figured out what that awful blood smell was. Calamdan was still some distance away. Radley might want to do some scrying. And you got the odd idea that you were being watched by more than a few Worgs.

21. - Top - End - #321

The Green Man

"Come on. Let's go mingle with the locals. It doesn't sound like they're any more happy with the undead than we are, and there are worse things we could have than a pack of ferocious allies that know the area."

The Green Man shambles off into the woods after Scar.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Matthias has something of a one-track mind...

The ranger waits for only a beat ignoring the conversation between the Green Man and the worgs, and then draws and throws his axe in a single motion to land with a solid thunk in the ground in front of "Scar."

"Where. Is. Forge?"

The axe quivers in the ground for a moment before flying straight back into Matthias's hand. Matthias puts it away and raises his repeating crossbow with an ominous ratcheting noise...

"Don't make me ask again."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need to make any rolls for this? I'm a little rusty about hitting a patch of ground...

23. - Top - End - #323

The Green Man...

...glances over his shoulder. "If they captured Forge, then getting on their bad side's not gonna help us at all. Particularly if we don't know where he's being held. On the other hand, if they're innocent, then they're maybe the best shot we have of finding him again. Let's play nice with the wolves. For now."

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley sits up heavily, clenching his teeth.

"O sons of the gods..." he mutters. "Why can't we ever sleep?"

25. - Top - End - #325

The Green Man

Shaggy shoulders ripple in a shrug. "Because we're all so very popular? There's not a single death-tree or worg in these lands that wouldn't want to spend some quality time with us."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Amos frowned a little; a greasy cockroach? Of course she would think that way... she was dead, and unimpressed to boot.

Wonderful.

Amos gripped at Ohmi's shoulders, trying to push her away, wondering just how much of his strength he had in... wherever this place was...

Spoiler
    Show
    Grapple: (1d20+7)[16]

...I really, really wish I knew what my attributes were standing at right now...

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Da View Post
    The Green Man

Shaggy shoulders ripple in a shrug. "Because we're all so very popular? There's not a single death-tree or worg in these lands that wouldn't want to spend some quality time with us."
    lolz :)

Egan stands up slowly, sore and stiff all over. Putting a hand to his aching head, he grimaces and braces for yet more travel.

"So it seems. Let's do it then."

He'll follow the others after the worgs.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

Ohmi, Oh My…

Amos really shouldn’t know why he didn’t want to say ‘No’. She was infectious, irresistible; her breath was warm against his face. Sensuous and slow and inviting, teasing isn’t always naughty, be pulled along in her dreamy siesta eyes. Bashfully looking down, timidly finding your gaze again, her secret wasn’t really so meek. Food was to be eaten with the eyes, devouring every inch of you, an ‘mmn’, you taste yummy. And you liked that, she knew it. Your lips were an appetizer, gracefully brushing over but-not-quite pressing, a caress. Needy feelings, this wasn’t enough.

Search her face. Find silence more poignant than noise. Slowly kiss, never intrude.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amos now knows the rigours of having a fresh new Negative Level. You must succeed on a DC 21 Will Save.
    Sacrifice

Soon it was easy to see why it smelled like this here. The Worgs hadn’t bothered to drag the bodies away yet. Countless dead canines were scattered here and there, beside a weathered fountain there were a bunch. From the looks of things, a vicious battle had taken place. Scar probably got most of his injuries here. He didn’t say anything; instead he let the sight sink in.
    Some Worgs were normal looking, peacefully asleep for the last time, almost content. Others had tortured expressions and disgusting growths, unnaturally long claws and teeth. Deep-set eyes, tumours weeping pus, they were gaunt and the air around them was cold. Dark flowers with silver shot through, sort of like someone sliced an overfull paintbrush though the air; grew out of them. They were covered in dried, eerie dead red grass that looked kind of sharp. In one eye you saw a clot of worms crawling around… or… oversized maggots? Their fur was matted and clumped together, one with open eyes showed you that the eyes of all the abnormal worgs were dark and murky.

The trees here felt very lonely, and a few creaked back and forth, emulating the sound of weeping. An ancient sadness gouged in time. Scar did not weep, he did not lower his head in remorse, he held his head up because he had reason to be proud.

“These were bad Worgs.” Scar reminisced, saying with grim satisfaction: And we tore them apart.

…he wondered, did you understand what he was doing?

29. - Top - End - #329

The Green Man

The Green Man plants his paws on his waist, not taking a single step closer to the corrupted ground around the corpses.

"I would have done exactly the same thing. Without hesitation. You were right to destroy them, but...were they the only ones of their kind? Something tells me not.

Where did they come from?"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Raker simply stands and silently begins scanning for threats, awaiting Scar's response.