New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Of Light, Life and Liches

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume I cannot take ten nor twenty on said check? If not, here goes:

(1d20+10)[17]
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

2. - Top - End - #392
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't mind. In fact, I have just the information for the Bard who ponders long and hard.
    Something tells you this place isn't normally very kind to travellers. The icy hell outside, and the manner in which you got here, tell you something. Suddenly you prefered to imagine, awake in a tomb, that you were sitting in the middle of the frozen eighth layer of hell.

And that Imp sleeping by the barrel wasn't doing wonders for your mind.
    Last edited by Faithdreamer; 2008-12-24 at 02:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm gonna... respond to that in a few minutes... for now, I'm gonna go smoke and try to recollect the pieces of my mind, which has blown...

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

An imp? No!
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

5. - Top - End - #395
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Amos froze; to the even imperceptive eye, suddenly every single muscle in the bard's body locked up with the sort of tension that Kordites exhibited when breaking chains to display their great strength. His eyes were wide, wild with a maelstrom of emotion and thought that could only be brought on by the sudden, reckless realization that one has had.

"Harin... stand by my side... we are... likely... in grave danger." The bard stood, leaving the barrel, and took a few steps toward the imp, waiting for the half-celestial to move beside him. Once he has, and only then, will Amos speak.

"Imp... pray, be so gracious as to bestow upon me a moment of your time and attention, for your counsel is... desired..." As he speaks, the bard pitched his voice carefully, treading the razor thin line of "begging" and "respectfully beseeching with awe".

In the back of his mind, Amos begged and prayed. Please, Harin... don't do anything noble, heroic, stupid, or ANY combination of the three...

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh God, oh God, oh God... WRYYYYYYYYYYYYY

7. - Top - End - #397
    Orc in the Playground

What the hell do you want, fart sack? The imp cracks open one eye, and only just barely, to look up at Amos with unbridled hate. It takes only an instant for you to realize...

...this imp isn't a very happy one. Being Diplomatic with the lowest rung of the ladder probably won't get you anywhere no matter how respectful you are. Still, at least it wasn't going to make the imp angry. What better way to get what you wanted, stroking his ego was bound to give him an altogether wonderful 'superior position'.
    Last edited by Faithdreamer; 2008-12-24 at 03:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Faith, in all honesty, none of us know that Egan Radley HAS an imp. The imp has been invisible the entire game, and I'd like to ignore that piece of information out of fairness to Poet, who has made a point of having Egan hide the existance of his imp from the other characters.

"Information, which I know only imps are truly the masters of," Amos said calmly, "If you're willing to speak to me, that is... I could make it worth your while, in some way..."

Spoiler
    Show
    If a Diplomacy roll is necessary, feel free to roll it secretly; otherwise, if Poet is taking over, then we'll see where he goes with it.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Orc in the Playground

((Oh, no! I forgot about that! I'll edit the post and we'll continue from your suave... save... since I can't really call it that because of my own foolishness. Sorry Poet! The plot still works. *relief*

Let's see if I can atone with good reading material..?))

Impish Scheme

The little winged thing cackles softly, a giggle that makes your face twist with instinctual disgust. Both of his eyes are squarely on Amos now, and he licks his lips like he's sitting in front of a full course meal.

"We'll see, man-thing, if you're worth more than the sack of detritus you seem to me, to be. For this thing you need, I want to satisfy myself on your greed, take heed:

I want something you'll never notice missing. Dole out your soul, let me mark my name in your flesh."
    Last edited by Faithdreamer; 2008-12-24 at 03:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Drawing his greatsword Harin levelled it at the Imp, ready to destroy the thing if it attempted anything.

"You will act with respect or the wrath of Kord will be your end".

Not taking his eyes away from the diminutive Devil he spoke to the bard; "Amos, what do you know that would require you to speak with this thing".

Without a word Harin focused upon the piece of oak concealed within his sleeve and carefully gesturing he summoned his natural hatred of evil and forged an invisible barrier around himself, just in case.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using the Rod of Metamagic, Silence to cast Harin's Protection From Evil Spell-like ability.
    Sorry, but I'm a Celestial worshipper of Kord. Diplomacy with Devils aint really my thing.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2008-12-24 at 03:12 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Orc in the Playground

"Quiet Kordite, you're too far from the knot that keeps your collar closed. You're the only one being rude, here." The Imp jerks his head to show his feelings very clearly. He moves in such a way as to suggest he is mildly offended, but gracious enough to overlook the heinous gesture.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

hehe, it had to get out sooner or later. I don't mind.

I won't be taking over Calvin's interactions at this point, though. Faith's doing a lovely job of it and, anyway, he's more than 1 mile from Egan by any measure so he's out of empathic range. I can give him no orders, though he owes a sort of loyalty to me due to nature of his contract. I'll understand if your characters destroy him - not knowing he's a kind-of sort-of ally, it would be totally reasonable.

Though I do hope to at least decide his combat tactics if it comes to that.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

"Harin, be silent!" Amos nearly snarled; every ounce of strength the bard had once put into attempting to pronounce Green's bugbear name crashed back into his voice as he spoke, "Now isn't the time for blind faith, or unswerving, arrogant nobility!" Amos turned back to the imp, spreading his hands and delivering a small bow.

"Imp, though I be a lowly human, born only to die, and far, far from being so potent as yourself, I beg you, grant me one, small favor, before we begin discussing matters as important as my soul," the bard's eyes glittered a little, "For while it may be of so little worth, I know this: it is the only one I have, and I will not spend it so quickly. My first question, if you will at least hear it, is one so small, that surely even a being as knowledgeable as yourself would not feel at a loss for giving me an answer." Amos paused, letting the imp consider his words. Should the imp's attitude seem to change remarkably for the worse, Amos will not ask the following question.

"Are we, or are we not, in the wastes of Cania, eighth layer of the nine Hells?"

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

"You really are like the house of the Prince of Lies, aren't you?" He was smiling, and if you didn't know anything about the Hells, you might have felt you were actually getting a compliment. But it was an Imp talking.
    "Your friend is smarter than you are. Maybe if you spent enough time here, you'd be even smarter. Information always has a cost. Even when you don't think you've got any precious on the table, on a platter for the hard workers. After all this time in the stale air, the vaults of my brain have rusted shut. Lubricate the hinges with something worthwhile and I'll toss you a box for the trouble."

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Amos winced.

"You wound me, master imp, though perhaps not unjustly... however, I have little to offer, save myself; whatever became of my gear, I am uncertain, for all I have found are my clothes. Perhaps, I could perform a song for you, but I doubt you would care to hear such a thing in the tongues I can speak... allow me a related question then, master imp, if I may be so bold. What would you say the price of such a small question would be?" Amos suddenly smiled.

"Of course, I could always attempt to find some other way to get my answer... a shame though it would be to lose the opportunity of dealing with one so skilled."

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

OOC Message:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hi! I'm not dead, I promise. I honestly missed (as in, didn't see) the last post that was relevant to Matthias, and then there was this trip to Louisiana...

Anyway, just to check: the girl attempting to take my hat is the last thing that happened to me? If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll change it. I *should* be able to resume regular posting.

Matthias raises an eyebrow as she reaches for his hat. He reaches up to grab it himself, more inquiring than anything else. "I might need that."

OOC Check Result:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grapple Check: (1d20+13)[31]
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-12-28 at 08:19 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Orc in the Playground

An icy wind blows through what little of the town is left. It was not far from here that you lived. This once thriving city now reduced to nothing then rebuilt into a necropolis, suitable only to the dead. You are surrounded by your only allies and the survivors of this undead nightmare. You know in your heart that first you must save these people. Then you can deal with Darvis and end this nightmare.

As you look around, you notice that despite being refugees, they are in rather good health. None are undead or even showing illness. Now that you notice that, you notice that you are feeling quite good as well.

The dam creaks under the weight of the river behind it. You dont have long.

What do you do?
    Characters: Pakar

18. - Top - End - #408
    Bugbear in the Playground

Martha

That's not him. And that's not him, either. ******, David. Where are you?

Martha trots down the line of assembled refugees, disappointment and worry pulling a tight mask across her face.

He has to be here. The only other place left is...

She halts herself.

No. He's still in this world, and I will find him.
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Egan Radley

Having already cast Resistance and several Mendings on the dyke, Radley surveys the crowd of refugees. "Who is your strongest, most able person?" he asks Kherhenn. In his robe he fingers a scoll case...

Spoiler
    Show

Borninbones, I am going to use 700 of my 1000 gp to own a scroll of Polymorph.

I'm going to try to get a high hit-dice survivor to volunteer for the polymorph procedure, and I'd like to turn them into a 9-HD 9-headed Cryohydra.

Sadly, the cryohydra entry does not state whether the "ice jets" of the Cryohydra are Ex, Sp or Su. If they are Extraordinary, the polyorph subject would gain that ability and coudl freeze the water behind the dam.

Will you allow it?

If not I'll probably choose a giant of some sort.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Unable to effectively recall anything beyond relaying his message to Amos, Harin was now flying towards Calamdan following an aerial track he had once used for couriering deliveries.

Eventully the once great city came into view, and that horrid sense of failure filled the winged man once again. Bowing his head as he came in to land he whispered "Mighty Kord, I swear I shall reclaim this place in the name of Good, or I shall fall in battle trying". With that he drew his sword and headed towards a gathering off people he had seen from the air.

Walking up to the group he was pleased to see a long lost ally. Lowering his blade he called out.

"Radley. Nice to see a familiar face in these dark times". Assuming Radley doesn't attack him, upon reaching him Harin asks "What of the others, are they here as well"?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley looks at the flying speck warily as it approaches. He begins to raise his sceptre before he sees that it is Harrin.

When the man lands and greets him, Radley responds in kind. "Ah, our numbers grow already," he comments. Taking a knife from Kerhenn's belt, he cuts his own arm and holds it up so Harrin can see the red blood flow down. "I still live. And yourself?"

If and only if Harrin does something to prove he is living, Radley will answer his question. "Yes, the others are here... not far in fact." And he points the way to them.

"And what news of the bard?"

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

After waiting for what seems like weeks for the girl to answer him, Matthias takes notice of the arriving Harin, and the already arrived Absalom. He makes no move, but mentally prepares himself for the worst.

Could be on the other side now. What'll you do to convince me you're not?

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

"I'm not in the habit of spillig unneccessary blood, but as you wish" he replies as he draws his own dagger and follows suit. As the almost luminous red liquid flows down his arm Harin offers two small prayers to Kord and repairs both his and Radley's Wounds.

Assuming this is acceptable he will follow Radley's hand before speaking.

"I am afraid I couldn't tell you what became of Amos. After delivering him the message I was charged with my memory becomes quite hazy. I have vague recollections of a snowstorm, but no context within which to put it. I began flying here once I my head cleared, hoping I would meet you or one of the others".

Turning to look at both the people gathered and then the dam he asks Radley "so what is the situation here then"?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-02-24 at 06:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Absalom Stormcaller

Absalom approached the two men, smiling.

"Master Harin, I am glad to see you are safe."
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-02-24 at 09:12 AM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

"Your most able person. Get them!" Radley almost barks at Kherhenn. He doesn't want to spend any longer by this dam than needed.

While waiting for the wizard to bring someone forward, Radley fills Harin in on the general situation.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Orc in the Playground

Kherhenn snaps to attention and runs off before returning with a very grizzled one-eyed dwarf. "Here he is. This is Groban." The dwarf scans the group quickly. "What'll ya be needed lad?"

Spoiler
    Show

It is a breath weapon and most breath weapons are Supernatural (SU). Sorry but you would know that before you cast the spell, so no waist there.

The people start to mill about. Some people start gathering belongings While others seemingly wander with no direction. What catches your eye is that quite a few people head for a small temple.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Radley isn't a fan of temples. "Kerhenn, do they really need to pray? Tell the workers to get their tools together and everyone else to get on rooves or battlements. We're letting the water out."

He turns to the dwarf...

((Egan would like to size up the dwarf to see how tough he really is. I don't know what kind of roll that is but Sense Motive springs to mind as that is what is used against Intimidate.

sense motive - (1d20+10)[23]

In game terms I am trying to tell how many HD he has. I want someone 9 HD or more so the spell is not wasted.))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-02-25 at 11:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Orc in the Playground

You estimate him to be a veteran of many years. More scars then you can count and perhaps more adventurous then even you. (you gauge him to be at least if not more hd then you but thats just your opinion).

"It is all they have left to believe in. The Bones of Karnak Siristi lay there. (kno hist, trained only)." Kerhenn's face switches to shock and stares at you. "Are you mad? That dam is the only thing seperating us from becoming the walking dead and who knows what kind of thing lies behind that wall? You must be insane? Right?" You get the feel that if you do this, no matter what happens after it, you will not have Kerhenn's loyalty unless everyone survives.

At this point everyone assumes that Harin is not one of the walking dead. You may or may not be so sure about Absolom.

For setting purposes, it is breezy about 60-65 so cloudy it is almost dark. You do not know what time of day it is without a survival check.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Raker heads over to where Radley is, and waits until Radley has a moment when he's not talking to someone, and then quietly asks:

"You're going to let the water out. And since you're asking everyone to get as high above the ground as they can, that means that you're going to let all of the fouled water out into here. And when it comes through, all of the sick and the injured that can't get to high ground are going to die. All of the people standing on buildings that are too weak to handle the soaking are going to die. And then they'll all be trapped and separated from their sources of food and water, and they'll all die. How is this an improvement?"
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2009-02-25 at 02:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Although not totally confident in his plan, Radley is not about to tolerate second guesses from Kherhenn. "Get the workers, the soldiers... anyone who can dig. If you've a priest have them bring the bones of Siristi up to the ramparts with the infirm. The faster we move the less people we lose." Radley has no idea who Siristi is (he's an atheist and thinks this is mumbo-jumbo) but he looks as confident and commanding as possible. bluff - (1d20+21)[41]

Raker he sees as more of an equal and, once Kherhenn leaves, he will speak more sympathetically. He intentionally includes Groban in the conversation.

"Here's the thing. The water's coming out no matter what we do. But once it does, I'd much rather if we're in control of this ward than if we're drowning."

He looks around and then looks Groban in the eye. "I have one chance... a spell, that I can only cast once. We could turn someone, someone strong and experienced, into a giant of incredible strength. Master Groban, I won't lie, I have you in mind."

He lets it sink in for a moment.

"Such a giant, working together with our other people, could rapidly dig a channel. A canal. We could lay a course for the water to flow right down the main street and out the gate. if we did that, and got to high ground, we could survive the initial flood wave. We could maybe even build a bulwark where the dam used to be, once the wave passes. We could strike back at Darvis."

diplomacy on Groban - (1d20+12)[22]

"What do you think?"