New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Of Light, Life and Liches

Harin

Once in the air Harin saw the new zombies almost immediately. Just then a stream of projectiles came from behind him (apparently the man with the wolf had experience with that crossbow because each bolt went for a different threat.)

Deciding that staying out of people's way would probably be best all round, he called on the divine light of Kord and was surrounded in a silver aura, which then gathered at his forearm and with a flick of his right hand he launched it towards the undead menace.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP:64 AC:24
    Spell: Light of Lunia - 2 bolts, each doing 2d6(spell damage) +2d6(Undead bane magic feat).
    First Bolt: (1d20+6)[23] / (4d6)[18] Range 30ft
    Second Bolt: (1d20+6)[13] / (4d6)[12] Range 30ft
    Both aimed at either any foes that Matthias didn't hit, or if he hit them all then aimed at the two nearest to other people.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Green Man

He eyes the advancing tide of the dead for a while before turning towards Egan. "Sir, you need to move. If you want to stay and help evac the town, that's fine by me, but I'd recommend that you do it from somewhere that I don't have to worry about you getting chomped on. I'll fight much more effectively that way." Fishing in his pack, The Green Man comes out with a length of rope ending in a grappling hook. "If I loop this over the top of one of the buildings, do you think you could scramble up it?"

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative +3 (1d20+3)[14]

Questions for the DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) How are the other townsfolk reacting? Are they still panicking, or have they started to pack up and go?

2) What's the approximate number of zombies coming down the road? I don't need hard figures, but I was wondering if it's more of a scattering or a swarm.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley watches as the others put down the first zombie, and then as more zombies appear on the main road. He gives an obvious roll of his eyes at the situtation, then turns to Green.

"I certainly can, and I'll follow you up in a minute..."

Holding his hand before him, he speaks a few words and the zombie-laden road turns to flame...

Casting Wall of Fire, 160' long x 20' high.

Shape:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Depends on how many zombies we see. If there's a swarm coming down the road, then I will run the wall of fire directly along the road, essentially toasting anything and everything along that stretch.

On the other hand if we only see a few zombies, I will run it perpendicular to the road, effectively forming a partial wall around the town.

In either case the wall begins quite a ways down the road, careful not to catch the main buildings of the town itself or the refugees running away from the zombies.

As the flames spring into existence Radley claps his hands together and bows his head, concentrating.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #34

The Green Man

The Green Man revises several of his mental calculations as the wall of fire sprouts from the ground. "You might be easier to protect than I'd thought," he mutters, not really addressing the comment to Radley. After all, he doesn't feel like breaking the mage's concentration and letting a mob of still-smoldering zombies amble into town.

Double-checking to make sure that no zombies have wandered close enough to take a swing at either of them (in which case he'd immediately engage the offending corpse,) The Green Man spins his grappling hook underhand and looses it towards a nearby chimney. If the hook catches, he tugs the rope sharply to make sure that it's secure.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Amos turned away from the fleeing villagers; his new companions needed him... perhaps? Drawing his sword and readying his shield, the bard moved near to his allies, ready to face the undead with the sound of courage issuing from his mouth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to stand beside Green Man, drawing my sword/shield as part of my move, maintaining Inspire Courage; we get +2 to attack and damage rolls now.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Absalom

Absalom was taken by surprise. Looking behind him, he saw flashes of light, red-orange flames and crossbow bolts flying in numerous directions. A lone zombie couldn't be the cause of all this commotion. The mage soon noticed the horde of undeads following the innkeeper on the road. He walked toward his companions and then started invoking a spell of his own. When the arcane energy overcomes his body, Absalom shouts :

"May your spirits be freed of the undeath curse. Wrath of Winter!"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative : (1d20+4)[11]
    B]HP[/B] 54/54, Speed 30
    AC 22, Touch 14, Flat-footed 18, Fort +8, Ref +10, Will +9
    First, I move my speed toward the group.
    Spell cast : Ice Storm, placed in the relative center of the zombie horde. 1 round cast
    And yes, he likes to name his spells

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

((more of a scattering, tops 20 spread out.))

The people who haven't fled the town have are getting inside the large stone church.

The zombies go down with miminal fight. It is not a short road to the capital.
    Characters: Pakar

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

With the scattering of undead toppled, Amos let the song die away. Not die away... merely fade... the Song will never truly die... Sheathing his sword, and putting up his shield, Amos turns to the others.

"Perhaps, we should strike for the capital sooner than later."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

((Okay, if it was like twenty zombies then I'll definitely position the wall perpendicular to the road at the edge of town, essentially placing a 160' wall along that end of town and forcing the non-toasted zombies to run around it before they can get at us.

Out of curiosity, how far are we from the capitol? One day's ride? One week's ride?))
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

((one week walk. I specifically made sure no one had a horse for that purpose. if they did/do, it ran off, scared of the undead. This campaign was made for walkin. The zombies are gone.))

11. - Top - End - #41

The Green Man

With a frown, The Green Man tries to tug the grapnel free. It doesn't budge. It was a pretty good toss. Frustrated, he yanks harder on the rope. There's a groan of crumbling mortar from the chimney it had fastened to, then the hook shoots free--plus a few bricks. The Green Man snorts and sets to work coiling the rope back up.

"It looks like we're safe for the time being, but we should probably get moving. Unless anyone wants to talk to the folks over in the church," he adds. "They might as well have rolled out a welcome mat for the dead, and it's probably only a matter of time before they do something just as stupid. Like barricading themselves in. Amos, you're good with people. Think you could convince them to leave town?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Seeing the bonbardment of spells annihilate the scattering of zombies Harin returned to the ground.

Turning to the group he nodded his head respectfully towards them, "Most impressive, perhaps our endevour is not destined to fail after all".

Turning directly to the Bugbear, "As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, I am Harin, and yourself"?

13. - Top - End - #43

The Green Man

"Uh, call me Green." He's a little disconcerted by how quickly the winged man goes from hurling scalding bolts of holy light to resuming introductions. "And I rather hope we're not destined to fail. 'Fate made me do it' isn't the most convincing appeal against a breach of contract."
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-08-12 at 06:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

((Glad I didn't remember to pay for a horse, then ))

Radley can't see what's on the other side of the fire wall, and so he has no idea that it's safe to lower the thing. By the fact that the winged man came back to earth he wonders if they've all been killed already, but he figures he may as well keep the wall up as long as possible.

When the Green Man speaks to him, he grunts in response, and slowly forces some words out despite the sweat breaking ou on his forehead.

"You're... real go-getter. Awright, find me someone in charge... I'll get 'em movin'."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Adun

When the brilliant light of his halo returns to the others it is not as though the man seems to be fatigued but as if he had invested far too much of himself into the slaughter of a single member of the shambling hordes. He does not seem to have been even so much as touched by the zombie during the exchange, his aura repelling the creature. As he moves the light around him flexes and each of the strange items that hover around him shimmer with their own inner light at varying levels of brightness as though pulses of magic were rushing into them and slowly being drawn out. With light still dancing along his fingertips he approaches, "I apologize if I offended anyone by cutting my introduction short but the valiant spirits of your fallen countrymen spurred me to action. Their noble souls are an honor to your country, and it is an honor to carry them with me. Again, I am Adun Ulhar, I come from across the seas to experience the world. Though I am not guided by the hands of fate or the greater mind of a greater soul, my arrival and indeed our congregation cannot merely be a coincidence."
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

16. - Top - End - #46

The Green Man

"I think we got 'em. The visible ones, at least. It's probably okay if you stop charbroiling the road." The Green Man is a little worried by the older man's condition. A heart attack can kill just as surely as a fireball, and it's not something he can jump in the way of, either. "Er, perhaps you should walk that off."

As soon as the sorcerer's ready, The Green Man walks towards the church with Egan, taking care to lag a few steps behind him and keep watch for any further zombies. "I think they're all in here. The sooner we get this done, the sooner we can go."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley holds his concentration as long as it takes for the streets to clear of refugees, then lets it go. The wall remains for an additional 48 seconds before winking out.

Although drenched in sweat, Egan seems to be in a good mood. He shakes his head, runs one hand through his hair, and follows the bugbear into the temple.

((Borninbones: anybody in there a clear leader? Someone the refugees might actually listen to?))

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Amos, for his part, only nods and turns to the temple, walking slowly and calmly. He didn't want to alarm anyone. As he reached the doors of the temple, he was joined by Radley.

"Well, with both of us, this ought to go quickly," the bard said with a smile, "Shall we stone, shear, parchment to see who tries first?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Come on now, don't tell me you can't tell what Amos is saying!

If Radley goes for it, in the name of speeding things along, Amos' roll for it is:

(1d3)[1]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

((Radley would've let the bard just go first, but he's not one to turn down a good challenge. Is it whoever rolls higher? And in the spirit of hard/flat/pointy does a 1 beat a three?))

(1d3)[2]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well... let's just assign numbers to the order I said them in. Stone = 1, shears = 2, parchment = 3, and which means that 1 beats 2, 2 beats 3, and 3 beats 1. That said...

"Heh, well then, we'll see what we can do then," Amos said, his smile diminishing a shade. He was confident in his skills, but... he feared that terrified people wouldn't listen to him. If terrified people won't listen to me, then what kind of *bard* am I? he thought darkly, before proceeding inside.

"Who's in charge here?" he called out, as loudly as necessary to raise his voice above the likely clamor of people.

Spoiler
    Show
    If necessary, I'm rolling a Perform check. Why? Well, because volume has a lot to do with supporting your voice from the diaphragm, and when you're singing, you do that a *lot*, so, it seems like Amos should be able to do it!

(1d20+22)[34]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

With the wall of flame extinguished Harin held his sword arm ready in case some of the zombies had survived the barrage of fire, ice, holy lightning and crossbow bolts. (I assume they didn't).

Seeing that the road was clear he turned with the others heading for the temple, but elected to remain outside in case anything else turned up.

"It would be folly to allow our minor victory to be overturned due to unpreparedness".

He then turned to the knight who had cast the icy column. "I am Harin Storn. Your helm, I wonder were you once of the Golden Knights"?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Absalom

Absalom was relieved that the zombies didn't put up more of a fight. The refugees were safe...for now. Since two of his companions had already proposed to talk some sense in the people barricated in the church, he stayed outside, watchful. He then noticed the half-celestial, coming his way. The mage bowed before this great warrior of light.

"Pleased to meet you, master Harin. They call me Absalom Stormcaller."

Absalom took off his helm.

"Unfortunately, I never joined the Golden Knights. I favor magic over swordsmanship. However, I respect them greatly. This is why I wear their color. I even have a close friends among their ranks...at least, I had one. I think he was killed when the capital fell. But let's not dwell on this matter. Tell me about yourself, master Harin."

23. - Top - End - #53

The Green Man

The Green Man hangs back by the entrance to the church, resting one shoulder against the stone doorway. He isn't much good in situations like these; calming down panicking villagers is a little hard when you're a six foot shaggy beast. Not that I'd change it for the world. Squishy humans don't know what they're missing.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

"Many lives were lost when the capital fell, you have my condolences".
    "And as far as I am aware I am no-ones master" he added with an ever so slight smile.

"I myself have a much less interesting story than my apperances would lead you to believe. Until very recently I was a courier, making deliveries for those who prefered for their cargo to be taken over the dangerous roads rather than through them. It made me a good living, and I did enjoy the work, but I always had a slight problem.
    Perhaps it is the angel in me
    (he flaps his wings almost automatically when he said this) but if ever saw a traveller in jepardy it was almost a reflex to attempt to aid them. Ha, scared most bandits witless seeing me flying towards them wielding this" (he taps his greatsword) he chuckled.

"When the riot broke I did what I could but when the odds turned against me I turned and fled". He turned away from the mage, ashamed of himself. "I ended up here after joining a group of refugees on the roads".

"And what of you Absolom Stormcaller" he said, instantly brightening up and facing the other man, "how did you end up in this most distressing situation"?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if that was too much fluff. Figured I'd get it all out of the way in one go.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Radley has a plan for helping out Amos but I'm waiting for borninbones to let us know who is in charge around here.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Absalom

"You don't have to blame yourself, my friend. If you had stayed, you would probably be dead by now. Or worst..."

Absalom shivered thinking of what could have happened to the knights, the nobles...and the king.

"My story is not too different from yours. I was returning from an assignment in the borderlands when the undead army attacked Calamdan. I did my best to repel them, but I was overwhelmed. Fortunately, I had this with me at the time." The mage handled the magical staff with great care. "It's a family heirloom, an item of great power. It saved my life that day."

"I had to leave town with the refugees. I felt dreadful. But now, I think it was the right thing to do. We have regrouped and are finally ready to strike back at this Lich."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, It seems I have some catching up to do. Stupid band camp.

Matthias

When the zombies finally fall, Matthias searches for any additional targets as he reloads. He doesn't join the others in heading into the old church right away. Instead, he simply stares at the road to Calamar for a long moment. Finally, he gives Forge another command. *Guard*

He was planning to remain on guard himself, but upon finding the area clear for a good distance all around, he decided to head in anyway. When he finally reaches the church, he stops in the doorway - his stature and bulky gear cast a large shadow over that part of the room as he does so. He looks at the other combatants and their conversation. "You about done with tea time? We've more undead to kill."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-08-12 at 08:10 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

An aging priest and the captain of the guard step forward, the undisputed leaders of Durk and the refugees. ((The bard is well recognized and probably has performed here before. They will most likely react better to him. Sorry for the long time between posts.))
    Last edited by borninbones; 2008-08-12 at 09:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Radley hangs back, leaning against a pillar while the bard talks to the priest and the soldier. He makes sure he is out of the way, and that their attention is fixed on the bard, before he quietly casts two spells...

Spoiler
    Show
    Charm Person on the priest, followed by Charm Person on the captain. DC 17 Will Save each.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

"Friends, this undead menace is slow moving, but implacable," Amos started, "You will not be safe staying here. You must make haste and evacuate, as many others are doing right this moment," he looked at the priest, "They will need your wisdom," he looked at the captain of the guard, "They will need your strength." Amos extended his hands, placing each on either man's shoulder, grasping them firmly. The bard smiled sadly.

"I know how much it may hurt to leave home... but staying here will do nothing more than feed this undead scourge. Please, see reason, and go."

Spoiler
    Show
    Okaaaaaaaay, come on dice, Diplomacy check!
    (1d20+20)[29]