New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Of Light, Life and Liches

Orrum

If I had my tools... your makers would regret *deeply* they day you were wrought... Orrum was getting more and more frustrated. Tapping a rune on his palm, the Dwarf opted for a less subtle approach. If he could manipulate the proper buttons by applying pressure over the surface as a whole, then he would attempt to simply lift the door open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Telekinesis, messing with the door that way. I'm tired; I'll figure out the exact details tomorrow.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I believe I asked your name first.... But you don't look like a burning soul .. I'm Senal and I'm helping to guard the people in the Temple." Rests the greatsword over the shoulder but not really relaxing any.
    I just realized I don't care.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

The ranger continues to jump, twist, and roll to avoid the fire blasts. He begins moving on the backswing of his lopsided loop, firing as he goes...

Spoiler
    Show
    Matthias will do what he did before - full round fire twice w/ five foot adjust, followed by setting a readied action to run when they charge at him. The difference is that this time, he'll run parallel to the street, back toward the temple, probably ending somewhere near where Orrum started his two-round run.

Round 1
    Attack 1: (1d20+18)[29]
    Attack 2: (1d20+18)[22]
    Attack 3: (1d20+13)[20]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[13]

Damage 1: (1d10+9)[18]
    Damage 2: (1d10+9)[10]
    Damage 3: (1d10+9)[13]
    Damage 4: (1d10+9)[15]

Round 2
    Attack 1: (1d20+18)[35]
    Attack 2: (1d20+18)[19]
    Attack 3: (1d20+13)[16]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[24]

Damage 1: (1d10+9)[16]
    Damage 2: (1d10+9)[16]
    Damage 3: (1d10+9)[15]
    Damage 4: (1d10+9)[14]
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

"I am Harin Storn a Cleric of Tahrain, and this is Egan Radley. I apologise for the transgression but when I entered the temple I was unconscious and aflame."

He'll lean his staff-weapon back on his shoulder so the attacking end is pointed away from Senal.

"Along with a few others; over half of whom have fallen, we have returned to the city and established a base of operations on the edge of the city where we are maintaining a significant civilian protectorate. On an endeavour into the city to seek supplies and assistance we came upon the temple, and here we are. Who are you all, and how have you and your temple survived so long?"

The reminder of his fallen comrades seems to affect the Celestial profoundly. In his mind he runs through their names: Absolom, Adun, Green Man, Amos and now Orrum. So many dead. He would make Darvis pay for his crimes, even if it meant spurning the grave himself to do it. He would not let the lives of those in his charge be lost in vain.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well met Harrin Storn." Holds out a hand to shake " I don't remember how long we've been here. But I, along with some the the surviving clerics, have been keeping this temple and the survivors here in safe. The priest of earth who you met is ...praying for an escape route, that's why no one was to bother him. If you need to I can bring you to the two in charge they would know happens around here a little better than myself."

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

@Mathias: As the flaming beings pursue, launching blast after fiery blast at you as you remain mobile and your shots finally take their toll and the first of the Burning Souls as it is trying to get within range explodes. A searing ball of flame taking up much of the street demolishes several nearby buildings, melting stone and leaving a scorched crater in the ground. Feeling your hair and skin sear at the heat of it Mathias is thankful for the protective magics Orrum placed on him, as he gets off with only some minor burns.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mathias takes a net of 10 damage from the creature going up

Seeking to get back towards the Temple he dodges back down the street narrowly avoiding the remaining Burning souls charge. However with the creatures reach it swipes at Mathias as he gets by, Not feeling the burning of the creatures touch, but having to roll with the grazing hit
    Spoiler
    Show
    12 damage from the AoO, interestingly avoiding most of the damage even though it did hit.. (crappy damage roll and ignoring the 18 fire damage)thus the description)
    Mathias continues his evasion and arrives back almost where he began his chase.

@Orrum: His telekinesis spell reverberates through the air and the door refuses to budge as you attempt first to lift, then push upon the whole surface, then pushing with the whole of your willpower, you heave at the solidly built door twisting the force of the spell over it's surface seeking any way to open it ... and it stubbornly refuses to budge or be moved by your magic in the slightest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The door is both quite heavy and reinforced, mostly with good Dwarven engineering you are sorry to say, built to resist brute force methods of entry.

@Harin and Radley: Inside the temple you see dozens of priests and parishoners of many faiths in ragged garb who look like they've gone too long without a change of clothes. Huddled in corners and sitting on every available surface they pray and tend the badly burned and wounded, rationing out food and water. A few beings of varied races, armored and armed with warhammers, maces and a variety of weapons stand near the front door, looks of despair mixed with determination, looking healthy but bearing the marks of fire on their equipment they seem to have survived an engagement with the Burning Souls. Senal guides you to an old seeming elven woman with silver hair, wearing a blue robe lined with silver runes. She looks up from administering to a particularly badly burned patient and nods at the group of you.

The dignified elven lady (despite having a blood covered robe) says "Senel aren't you supposed to be seeing that Hru isn't disturbed.. Ah are you the ones from outside.. so you made it through.. what news, I am High Priestess Telethrie Auris...
    I am in charge I suppose you could say."

Abruptly interupting a loud voice says "Te Hels you are Tele! Just cause ye can enrapture the human idjits with yur looks doesn't place ye in charge! We ha been conferin on that we hav' Now whats goin on ere?" and making his way through the crowd a heavily armored one eyed dwarf with a massive war hammer that weighs as much as he does by the look of it makes his way to stand before you.

Without missing a beat the elven priestess continues "..and this is Grunar Firehammer, of the Hammers of Moradin, a visiting colleage whose wise counsel saved many of those you see before you."
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2009-10-10 at 01:33 PM.
    Battle Aura by Tavin Mars
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    I Will Let My Presence Be Felt
    To The Utmost of My Ability
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum, Son of Garrum

Orrum took a deep breath, permitting the divination he had cast earlier to fade from his eyes; he needed to concentrate on his other spell, though doubts were beginning to crush down on his belief that he could open this damned door. Supressing a growl, the solid Dwarf exhaled slowly, taking a moment to murmur mantras of iron and stone. He had to admire the craftsmanship of this door, even if it was impeding his progress. Now, however, was not the time for aesthetics. Tapping into the power of another rune, his eyes began to shine with bright, sapphire light as he continued to study the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maintain concentration on Telekinesis, cast Detect Magic.

If this works, I hate you forever sir. It's my fault, and if this were coming up any other time I'd admit that gladly, but for now I will glare at you sorely.

EDIT: Using DETECT Magic. I got the two confused.
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2009-10-10 at 02:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Matthias skids to a stop near Orrum's original hiding place, cloak and duster smoking. He dodges another pair of fire blasts while returning fire before a third finally catches him full on. Matthias retreats down the alley this time.

I'm gettin' too old for this crap.

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Matthias is doing his same routine, but this time he's going down the alley he used to get on this street - the one he and Orrum did their plotting in, assuming I'm not confused about the location. He'll run 120 feet that way on his third round.

Round 1
    Attack 1: (1d20+18)[37]
    Attack 2: (1d20+18)[29]
    Attack 3: (1d20+13)[25]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[11]

Damage 1: (1d10+9)[13]
    Damage 2: (1d10+9)[12]
    Damage 3: (1d10+9)[16]
    Damage 4: (1d10+9)[19]

Round 2
    Attack 1: (1d20+18)[28]
    Attack 2: (1d20+18)[24]
    Attack 3: (1d20+13)[17]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[20]

Damage 1: (1d10+9)[17]
    Damage 4: (1d10+9)[10]
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2009-10-10 at 06:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Harin bows to each as he meets them. He doesn't speak until the Dwarf is finished.

"Sirs, as I explained to Senel, Radley and I are all that remain of a voluntary contingent who sought to return the city to mortal hands. We have another ally, but at last I heard he had exited to another Plane and is beyond our calls for aid now. We came here seeking to scavenge what we could to defend our reliants, but seeing the temple in one piece we knew we must obtain any support we could if we were to be successful."
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yes my lady I will go back to my post." Senal turns and walks away, back to guard duty.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

When it's still just Senal:

"And I'm Egan Radley. I'm glad you folks were able to hang together here."

Once we're with the high priests:

Notably, unlike Harin Radley does not bow to either of the priests. As they attempt to send Senal back to his post, Radley speaks up:

"Wait. I'd like to have a quick word with all three of you - both your military," he nods at Senal, "and your priestly leadership."

He goes on: "As Harin said, we're all on the same side here. But it's time to move. We have a sizable civilian population, as well as a contingent of guards at a manor house near here. It is in everyone's best interest to bring your survivors and ours together. Your temple is besieged, whereas our manor is not. More to the point, our manor is more centrally located from which to make a foray into the old magic shop district where I believe we will find ample supplies and perhaps more survivors."

He makes sure he has their attention. "I was able to run right past the fire beasts outside - they are slow, dumb and not very aware. Please, tell your people to prepare to run to safety. I will go out and act as bait, luring the fire creatures away, while Harin guides you all to the manor."

The overweight Radley is sweating profusely, but he seems very intent on getting these people out of there.

Diplomacy on the NPCs if it helps: diplomacy - (1d20+12)[21]
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

12. - Top - End - #1032

Flumph

@Harin, Senel and Radley: "There are reasons Sir that that would not work. For starters whatever you have to say the Infernal Golems outside can detect any lifeforce coming near them, and given their number, abilities and Desire to destroy all those in this temple.. specifically all those of spiritual power first and foremost, I fear simply leaving would be a deadly mistake for all involved. Also they would no doubt follow and unless your "base of operations" is better warded than we are here, it is unlikely to be any safer with all of them following us... You no doubt had little trouble getting in here through the back door, But we can't take the same route out... we tried.. but it would draw the creatures there when we move people to that end of the building. Besides there are things here this temple was meant to protect, things that should not be accessable to the evil one that constructed those monstrosities. Things these wards were meant to protect, which our enemy no doubt wants."

"I don't like the idea of stayin put though, we need to figure out somethin ta get those things destroyed, if the Earth priest can't open up the path down... perhaps one of us should go back out with these folks and take a looksee to see what other options we have."

"Senal, you were more successful in fighting these things than anyone here, would you go with these people and see if you might aid them, and us in finding a way to combat these things more effectively. Seek the aid of the wizard's guild or anyone else you can find, if neccessary take the knoledge you have of what happened here back to our homeland that they know what happened. I have a plan that requires the cooperation of all those priests here for a final defence if it proves neccessary. Sorry Firehammer your god's might and your hammer are needed here.. Senel you can fight your way through to the back door if you have need of our further cooperation or council, you should hurry in fact.. Just try not to interupt Hru more than you need to. " And the pristess smiles beseechingly at Senel, sparing just a moment to cast a suspicious glance at Radley and Harin.

@Orrum: You detect that your spell is still up, though that shouldn't be whats stopping you, as you can will your own spell to allow you entry. However you also detect strong divine magics around the temple as a whole, The strong abjurations and enchantments over the entirety of the temple are visably deteriating (but very slowly) from the presence of the Burning souls. Whatever the enchantments they don't reveal anything of use against the door, which seems to be well made but not magical in nature.

@Mathias: Taking another brief hit,
    Spoiler
    Show
    32damage, so 12 damage through the spell
    that takes your protective magic beyond it's power and gives you a painful burn on your shoulder you commence your return fire. Glancing back you see Orrum still concentrating on the door, unmoving from where you saw him last. The remaining Burning soul is barely starting to look hurt, using your last target as a comparison you have a ways to go on this one.
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2009-10-12 at 07:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

This may take a bit.

Matthias aims his crossbow down the alley and opens fire as soon as the Burning Soul makes it there. He continues his fire and then runs toward the Burning Soul, flipping past it when he meets it in the alley and dashing for the other side running straight into its fist.

Time for some of this property damage to work in my favor.

Spoiler
    Show
    The first two rounds are the same, except that Matthias will be five foot adjusting back toward the alley mouth. On round three, he's going to move to the Burning Soul, and then past it out the other end of the alley. Since these things can break buildings like children's toys, he's hoping he can incite it to drop the buildings on either side of the alley on itself. He doesn't expect it to die like that, but he's hoping for an unmolested round or two to drink some potions. Heck, maybe several tons of stone, brick, and other construction materials falling on it will actually hurt it.

He'll make his tumble check on whichever part of his double move goes through the Burning Soul's space.

Round 1
    Attack 1: (1d20+18)[21]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[22]

Damage 1: (1d10+9)[17]
    Damage 4: (1d10+9)[11]

Round 2
    Attack 1: (1d20+18)[36]
    Attack 2: (1d20+18)[27]
    Attack 3: (1d20+13)[31]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[18]

Damage 1: (1d10+9)[15]
    Damage 2: (1d10+9)[19]
    Damage 4: (1d10+9)[10]

Round 3
    Tumble Check: (1d20+11)[12]

Edit: Seriously? That roll had to be a 1?
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2009-10-12 at 08:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

"Very well. If your people cannot come out, then surely our people must come in. We will bring what supplies we have so as not to be a burden."

He ponders.

"These beings can sense life-force? We should set up a signal... when you receive the signal, all of your people move to the front door as if you are going to make a run for it. The fire beasts will sense your movement, and group up outside the front door. At that time all my people will make a run for the back door, with Harin and myself protecting them. Is this agreeable to you?"
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

15. - Top - End - #1035

Flumph

@Mathias: Your plan seemed to be working quite well until the creature got within melee range. Sweeping it's flaming arms down in an arc that grazes you, it hit's the ground with sufficient force to knock you to the ground after you stagger back from the force of the blow. Enormous heat fills the area and the alleyway, and buildings to either side start to melt, stone peeling back like wax.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Functionally you took a single melee hit, (0 net fire damage and 20 HP of damage from the hit) however I'm getting a bit descriptive here and taking advantage of the fact that it rolled a one too.. so it hit straight down with one of it's attacks.. mucking you both up as it were.

The most damage however seems to have been to the ground. As you try to scramble away the alley gives way dumping both you and the monster into the sizable sewer tunnel under the street. The buildings to either side do collapse, covering your makeshift entrance and raining down debris. But failing to do much more than inconvienience the creature, whose heat melts the falling bricks and stone and seems to fuse the rest of the debris into a makeshift ceiling.

Finding yourself now in an tall but enclosed sewer tunnel with the enraged Burning soul you note the steam rising off the creatures legs as the stagnant um.. wet stuff there evaporates due to the heat. The creature seems damaged by the trickle (several inches deep) of not quite water however. Though the smell is not so good, it seems your mobility and escape routes are far more limited, but the creature is now in an unfavorable damaging environment.

@Orrum: You note Mathias running down an alley way and the collapse of several buildings.

@Harin, Senal and Radley: "I doubt moving the people en masse will work though. Even with all of us to the front of the building, one or two of the burning souls will stay on guard near the back entrance. If you brought a group of more than three or four, you might see as many as a dozen... So if you have the capacity to slay just a couple of them per trip you might get some in.. however I doubt you'll be able to survive the combined fury of several of these monstrosities.. I saw several of the high priests, even with their protective magics fall to these thing's. A small number may slip in and out with a bit of trouble.. I fear any mass exodus in or out would be ill advised, I've seen how these things opperate.. you are correct they act without intellect.. but that is no excuse for us to ignore their capabilities. In fact if you could slowly weed out their numbers it would be a great boon to us.. unfortunately I doubt we have time for that as there are still over 100 of these things. Go seek the advice of the mage survivors, perhaps they can come up with something."
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2009-10-13 at 12:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

When Radley hears that there are 100 or more of those beasts, he raises an eyebrow at Harin.

"I see. I will indeed go and speak with the mages, if you'd be so kind as to point me in the right direction."

Assuming they do, he leaves Harin to discuss priestly matters (unless the angel wishes to come along).

Once he meets the mages, he introduces himself around. He doesn't talk about the beasts right away, instead asking what part of the city each of them was n when the attack happened, how they survived, and so forth.

Then he asks his most urgent questions: what kind of shape is the magic shop district in, do any of them know how the various magic shops fared in the uprising ((the ones DMftA mentioned)) and do they know if there are any survivors holed up in any of those locations.

He seems to be gathering intel for another foray, even in the midst of this yet-unfinished one.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum, Impromptu Scholar

Orrum continued to focus on his divination, focusing his mind and attempting to separate the auras from each other; without a thought, he dismissed his abjuration, and concentrated on the native arcana.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I'd like to do a couple things, but I don't know if we're dropping back into round by round or if we're sticking to the rule of three. So, here's my next three rounds of actions; if things change by the time we've passed the first round, I'll have to re-assess the situation.

First: Further study of auras.
    Second: Spellcraft checks to identify the nature of the auras (which will be rolled in the OOC thread if we happen to by doing three rounds of stuff at a time still).
    Third: Will either be a Dispel attempt, or a general Intelligence check (which will also be rolled in the OOC thread, as well as explained in detail).

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias, Track Star

Matthias manages to sort-of land on his feet. While the Burning Soul reorients, Matthias takes off again - he has no intention of letting the creature into melee range a third time. He slows down initially to drink a couple of potions, and then begins alternating running with firing at the Burning Soul.

The next minute of combat:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round layout, unless something intervenes:

Round 1
    Run 120ft. away from the Burning Soul.

Round 2
    Draw and drink Protection from Evil Potion. Pretty sure I can move 30 ft, too.

Round 3
    Draw and drink CSW Potion. Pretty sure I can move 30 ft, too.

Round 4
    Run 120ft. away from the Burning Soul

Round 5
    Attack 1: (1d20+18)[25]
    Attack 2: (1d20+18)[37]
    Attack 3: (1d20+13)[23]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[9]

Damage 1: (1d10+9)[19]
    Damage 2: (1d10+9)[11]
    Damage 3: (1d10+9)[16]
    Damage 4: (1d10+9)[17]

Round 6

Attack 1: (1d20+18)[34]
    Attack 2: (1d20+18)[38]
    Attack 3: (1d20+13)[30]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[15]

Damage 1: (1d10+9)[11]
    Damage 2: (1d10+9)[17]
    Damage 4: (1d10+9)[16]

Round 7
    Run 120 ft. away from the Burning Soul

Round 8
    Attack 1: (1d20+18)[25]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[23]

Damage 1: (1d10+9)[13]
    Damage 2: (1d10+9)[12]
    Damage 3: (1d10+9)[18]
    Damage 4: (1d10+9)[19]

Round 9
    Attack 1: (1d20+18)[23]
    Attack 2: (1d20+18)[32]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[26]

Damage 1: (1d10+9)[10]
    Damage 2: (1d10+9)[10]
    Damage 3: (1d10+9)[11]
    Damage 4: (1d10+9)[13]

Round 10
    Run 120ft. away from the Burning Soul.

This was to speed things up, so certainly if Matthias runs out of room to run or something else happens, things might change. Otherwise, Matthias will try to run-and-gun it to death. The ten corresponding reflex saves can be found in the OOC thread.

19. - Top - End - #1039

Flumph

@Senal, Harin and Radley: "The Mages I refered to are the ones you said you would find in the magic district, the shop owners I believe. Their knowledge of magic and the arcane may offer a solution our divine magic cannot. Failing that you can at least get them to offer you aid. I believe you should hurry however, else you might face several fresh of those monstrosities on your way out. However if either of you require healing you have but to ask."

@Orrum: Studying the magical Auras around the door, you find that despite the strong enchantments and abjurations upon the grounds and temple itself, the door and the doors locking mechanism appears purely mechanical. The enchantments all appear to be very powerful, very old magics of a divine nature, you doubt they hold any menace or indeed affect upon you, but for supernatural evil beings and other planar entities it would prove a very potent barrier. It's ancient magics seem to draw upon the magic of the land itself.

The door however does appear of high quality, built of very sturdy, very heavy metamorphic rock and fitted with no visable signs of buttons or switches on it's intricate carvings of monsters, heroes and dieties going about a myriad of activities.

@Mathias:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You weren't kidding about being close.. in a nail biting bit of math requiring several recounts to check math (also a reason this took so long.. I wanted to be dang sure) and determining on what round everything took place, and determining the exact round the creature goes down... It looks like your clinging to consciousness at 6 HP at the end of it all

In a gritty, filthy combat through the dark sewers, pursued by a raging infernal Thing Mathias proves his mettle and manages to kill the remaining Burning Soul, almost knocked unconscious by it's retributive blast upon it's destruction, he limps away burned but victorious.. and very happy he doesn't have to retrieve ammunition in the sewers. Smelling of burnt sewage he faces his next challenge, a dark sewer as the light from the being goes out in fantastic fashion leaving him momentarily bereft of his light source. Seeing no convienient ladder or manhole, escape might be moderately problematic, but thankfully not life threatening.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

*Cough* *Cough* "Heh...heh...hehahahahahaahahahahaaaaaa! Take that chuckles! Not so hot now, are yeh? Heehehehehe... "

Matthias sighs and sways unsteadily. Urgh. Don't wanna fall down. I might see something more disgusting than a superheated sewage explosion, and then I'll puke myself to death.

Matthias moves to one side of the tunnel and puts Orrum's sack against the slightly-less-grungy wall. He pulls out a torch, and unwraps it to reveal a bright, pale blue, heatless glow. Knew this would come in handy...

With light to see by, Matthias digs out another of Orrum's heavy duty cure potions, and one of his own lighter ones. He chugs them both as quickly as he can, before he starts really feeling the worst of his injuries. As the most life-threatening burns fade away, Matthias stores the empty bottles and begins looking for an exit.

Spoiler
    Show
    CSW: (3d8+5)[15]
    CLW: (1d8+1)[5]
    Survival Check: (1d20+13)[22]

Matthias is basically going to wander and use his mad ranger skillz to try to find a way out. He'll start by going in the general direction of the temple, and if that doesn't work, he'll look for pretty much anything else.

For the purposes of not being unarmed in a strange sewer under a wannabe necropolis, Matthias will carry his axe in his main hand, and keep the crossbow put away.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2009-10-19 at 12:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

"Thank you, but Hru has already repaired me. We shall make our way, Senal hopefully easing our path-making. May the Gods watch over you all."

He will bow and turn to Radley, his face almost daring him to make a joke abut the Gods with Firehammer within weapon range.

"Let's go Radley, with a touch of luck we'll be able to collect Orrum's remains and give him the funeral that he's entitled to." He'll also turn to Senal. "I'll ask before we pass into the Earth worshipper's chamber, what is your area of expertise? Knowing is half the battle and all that."

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

Hmph. Druids.

Orrum stroked his beard, not quite lost in thought. Taking a moment to glance in either direction, he checks to see if he has any more of the creatures bearing down on him. If the way is clear, he would sigh a little and shake his head, returning to his study of the door... he had said he would get this door open; he trusted Matthias' skills to keep him alive... since, his own skills didn't seem to be helping all that much.

Yet, he would keep trying.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, well, I'd like to attempt an Intelligence check to see if Orrum can work around his bootched Religion check. What he's looking for are distinct patterns, and by that measure, anything that happens to interrupt any patterns he finds.

(1d20+6)[12]

I'm not sure if I'm allowed try again rolls, or if I can even take ten, or twenty. Whatever the case, my Int modifier is +6; Orrum's success or failure is in the DM's hands.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Dwarf in the Playground

"My skills lie in swordsmanship and I get by with some help from Corellon. I hope what abilities I have will be of services."I say as I follow the group.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Radley maintains his respectful, if reserved demeanor.

"Which of the magic shop owners do you think we should seek first? Any idea which ones may have survived?"

((and then...)))

Quote Originally Posted by Harin
    "Let's go Radley, with a touch of luck we'll be able to collect Orrum's remains and give him the funeral that he's entitled to."
    Radley nods, thanks the priestess, gives Senal an appraising look and prepares to head out. Of course, none of them yet know that the door they entered by is currently under a Hold Portal spell.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-10-20 at 08:46 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1045

Flumph

@Radley: The priestes sighs and says "You would know better than I, though I would suggest seeking aid from any source given the current state of affairs. In times such as these any person, occurance or detail might be important."

@Radley, Senel and Harin: Leaving back through the Understone temple you see the Pech priest still at prayer. The geodes sparkling in inhuman eerie ways as you pass. Getting to the other side of the room, the wall of stone parts before your approach revealing the door once more. Opening the door reveals the same passage Radley had earlier run down. Small stairs lead up and out to the massive stone door. At your approach it swings open revealing a frustrated looking dwarf looking surprised. (yes it's Orrum who was just about to make some progress on the puzzle)

@Orrum: You wish you saw any patterns in the confusing jumble of myth legend and religious symbolism. The Dwarven pantheon is well represented though, as are the Elves, halflings and gnomes. Each seems to take up primarily a quarter of the total carving, though they overlap in several spots. The only real pattern is the list of gods, which upon deeper reflection the name of the head of the Pantheon, along with the Clue along the bottom "They are not forgotten and always with us" is clearly an indication you should be looking for a representation of Moradin.. and the other missing gods. Unfortunately not knowing much about elven, halfling or gnomish religion makes it somewhat difficult to figure out what gods of theirs would be left out, nevermind recognizing them... or their symbols.. Your gaze settles on a small background item amidst a grand battle featuring Clangeddin and his loyal followers engaging an ancient wyrm. The town they fight near features a smithy, from your childhood you remember them saying that the anvil and forge are the symbol of Moradin, though the city looks to be non-dwarven in design, the forge there is a more detailed version of what was commonly seen as Moradins symbol. You notice this as another Burning Soul starts to amble around the corner... still a ways off.. but geting closer. Just as you turn your attention back to the door, it opens revealing Harin (apparently non-burnt and alive) Radley, and a 6 foot tall armored figure with expensive looking mithril inlaid adamantine armor, with strange leaves being the smiths apparent motif. A longsword and two handed sword appear to be their armament and they appear to be guiding Radley and Harin back out of the temple.

@Mathias: Creeping through the sewers, aside from the monstrous smell (some of which is you unfortunately) nothing seems out of place.. except the larger tunnel you fell into initially. Having no ways down apparent, it connects to much smaller, definately not meant for human sized traveler tunnels at every turn. It also appears to offer little in the way of functionality, as the connecting pipes don't make much use of it. The wet runnoff is apparently left over from flooding.. The tunnel heads further along though, back in the direction of the temple (almost exactly) and the opposite direction, which would lead further into the city, though not directly towards the city's center.
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2009-10-20 at 01:20 PM. Reason: no time repeating magic in my games.. aka bad cut n paste
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Seeing the Dwarf Harin loses his composure briefly.

"Orrum! You're alive. Radley told me you had passed on. I'd been planning your damned funeral." He claps the Dwarf on the shoulder. "What have you been doing down there?"

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

If any irritation registers on Orrum's face, it's because the door opened while he was still studying it. The flicker is brief, and vanishes... Orrum merely raised an eyebrow and glanced at Radley.

"Rumor of my death has been greatly exaggerated," he said quietly, even as another Burning Soul ambled around the corner, "No time for that now; unless you wish another opportunity at vanquishing one of the beasts, master Harin, I suggest we take our leave."

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Seeing the creature coming round the corner Harin immediately lowers his voice, before remembering that they can't hear.

"Agreed. We go to the Magic shop streets to seek aid. Come now, stand and be off with us."

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Radley seems visibly surprised by the dwarf's upright status, but also pleased. He gives Orrum a warm smile.

"Thank goodness," he says, then nods at what Harin says. "Let's go quick. They say there's a hundred of these fire things around."

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

Orrum... shook his head.

"No. We must first go and retrieve Matthias," he pointed in the direction he had seen Matthias go last, "I believe he may be in trouble, though I do believe he is still alive."