New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Of Light, Life and Liches

Radley

When the bard vanished and Matthias disappeared started lecturing, Radley put on a weary look and stepped back to lean against a pillar. After a moment he sunk down and sat against it, giving half-attention to the ongoing debate.

He waits for the others to get ready.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-08-16 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Matthias didn't disappear, sorry
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

The bugbear found Amos perfectly visible again, though when the bard spoke, his voice was strained, frustrated... and coming from the other side of a fairly wide tree.

"Our goals in this matter are wildly different, friend... and I feel that something wrong has already happened thanks to my so-called pursuit of "right". If you think that talking to me is going to change my mind, then I'm not going to stop you; it's your right."

Amos, however, had not been idle this entire time. He had been pondering his arcane training, as well as his bard's knowledge, searching for answers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, first things first, I'd like a Knowledge (Arcana) check to determine if Amos can figure out a.) that the priest and captain are under some kind of enchantment (compulsion), and b.) what exactly that enchantment might be. After that, I'd like a bardic knowledge check for stories concerning heroes whom, after evil had been vanquished, they stayed behind and helped those weaker than themselves get back on their feet. Saints of various religions makes a good focal point.

Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+13)[14]
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+10)[19]
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Green Man

The Green Man folds his arms in front of him and leans back a little, listening through the tree.

"Our goals in this matter are wildly different, friend... and I feel that something wrong has already happened thanks to my so-called pursuit of "right"."

"Mind if I come over?" the bugbear asks. He's already walking around the thick oak, though, so it's probably rhetorical. He stops a few feet from the bard. "That's really what you're here for, then? Just because it's the right thing to do?" He whistles low. "You're a rare breed. Radley's in this 'cause his personal interests were threatened. Matthias' practically compelled to fight the undead. Maybe a zombie chomped his dad or something. And Harin's got religion. That's as bad as any compulsion. But you..." he trails off. "It's the right thing to do, huh? No 'Pelor told me to', it's really what you believe?"

That's rhetorical too. The Green Man rakes a paw through his own hair and his face takes on a thinking expression. "I can't try and dissuade you from that. Just wouldn't feel right. But I do want you traveling with us. We need to move in a group for everyone's safety. Is there something small you could do for the folks in the church before we leave? Cast a few spells to get them moving faster?" The Green Man shrugs. It seems to be a gesture of sympathy, not dismissal. "If there is, I'd be happy to help."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

"My magic is not so powerful as that of a mage," Amos said quietly, "I could grant the boon of speed to... less than a dozen people, for perhaps a minute at a time. The vast majority of my magics aid me, and only me, which fills me with regret. I do not know what happened, but I do know this: people in such positions rarely, if ever, refuse aid... and I can't imagine how people who call themselves "leaders" of their people could do such a thing either..." the bard trailed off then, still wrestling his thoughts and ideals.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

My understanding is that to determine that a spell is on them, you would have had to make a spellcraft check while I was casting the spell (to see what I cast). Or if you can see magical auras you'd see it on them and could make the spellcraft check then to identify.

So far though, they haven't done anything suspicious - just agreed that they can take care of themselves and that they'd rather we put an end to the plague quickly.

Of course, I'm biased, since I'm hoping no one catches Radley in the act :)
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a moot point; apparently, Amos doesn't know *crap* about enchantment (compulsion) spells.

7. - Top - End - #97

The Green Man

"Well, what else have we got to offer? Perhaps you could sing for them? They'll have little enough music in the days to come, and it would lift their spirits. It's a small thing, but they're going to be spending the next few weeks traveling across country. Good morale will stick with them much longer than we can."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Harin was secretly pleased that others had followed with him, he didn't like the idea of travelling into Hell alone.

Speaking to both Matthias and Absolom he says: "it will take a week to reach Calamdan by way of the roads. However if we cut across country it will shave perhaps a day off that time. This isn't a problem for me as I would simply fly over it, but the extra difficulty in terrain may make your journeys harder. I leave the decision in your hands".

He then looked down at Absolom's hand and noticed it bore a ring very similar to one he himself possesed. "Excellent, I see neither of us will have to spend such long periods of time awaiting the return of our magicks".

Spoiler
    Show
    He means Absolom's Ring of Sustenance. If I really need one here's a spot roll:
    (1d20+6)[7]
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know if my music will do anything like that... though I can hope... but at the same time, I have no idea if I'll be able to find you all again should I go with these people," Amos' fists clench in the dirt, and the frustrated bard grinds the dirt into his palms, "I swore to join the others to journey to Calamdan first... If these people do not wish for our aid..." the bard trailed off a moment, before continuing, "But if we DO return triumphant, and find these people destroyed..." Amos stood slowly, rubbing his eyes.

"What is your name, anyhow? I think I've given you mine."

10. - Top - End - #100

The Green Man

The Green Man extends a paw. "I'll answer to The, Green, and Man. Or, if you want to take a crack at my real name..." He sucks in a breath, swelling with the air, then looses it in a half-roar. "Wrooargrrag!" His free hand beats against his chainmailed chest, modulating the sound until it finally fades away. "It's a little hard to do if you weren't raised a bugbear, but you look like you've got good lung capacity. You'll probably do okay with it. So, shall we get back to the rest of the group? The less we split up, the better. That's both for my contract and everyone's safety."

The Green Man turns and sets off at a slow shamble, giving Amos plenty of time to fall into step with him. He calls over his shoulder "the people here won't be harmed. Nor will anyone else from any other city. That's what we're here to see about."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

When the bugbear and the bard come back inside the temple (I'm assuming they do) Radley shows no signs of hard feelings toward Amos.

"I'd prefer cross-country myself," he pipes in to the ongoing conversation. "The roads were horrid and will probably slow us more than any bog could hope to."

He glances over at Harin. "And with an eye in the sky I'm not too afraid of what lurks in the wilds." He smiles warmly at the winged warrior.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, Wrooargrrag (uttered with the best Amos could give in reference to volume and mimicked modulation)... I pray that you're right," Amos smiled a little, "Though, I think I'll just call you Green; it's probably easier to say in situation where discretion *is* the better part of valor." The bard fell into step beside the bugbear, staying quiet the rest of the walk to the church.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Spoiler
    Show
    Got in another post from public access...

When the Green Man pronounces his real name, Forge whips his head back and howls loudly. Matthias frowns at him.

"Quiet, you." He gives a snide grin, and says quietly, "Not your type, anyhow." To this Forge only gives a questioning growl.

Matthias turns. "The woods are fine. Faster is better, after all."

Spoiler
    Show
    I just wanted to point out that I have nothing against any players here. Matthias just isn't very good at making friends.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-08-19 at 06:52 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

14. - Top - End - #104

The Green Man

"Wrooargrrag!"

"Arooooooooo!"

The Green Man winces, then hastily wipes the expression off his face. "That was much, much closer to the right intonation than most people usually get. I do agree with you; it's not the stealthiest of names, but bugbears don't use names when they're just chatting. Bugbear names are more of a bellow-it-out-into-the-wilderness-and-hope-the-other-guy-hears-you kinda deal. That's why they're so specific. If you yelled 'Laaaaarry!', who knows how many Larrys might turn up."

Jade_Tarem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No worries. You're playing a mildly anti-social character. Besides that, I'd been kinda aiming to have a Green Man/Forge rivalry.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, we should be off... we cannot afford to while away any more time." Amos piped in, after which he followed the group out. He moved his position as he walked, but generally speaking, he gravitated near Green.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is it can be tiem warp agian?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

"And with an eye in the sky I'm not too afraid of what lurks in the wilds."

"An eye in the sky that can see in the dark," Harin replied with a small smile. "Going cross-country means the likelihood of us coming across another town dwindles to zero. If any of you will need additional supplies, especially food or water then I suggest you obtain them now, as I don't know how wholesome the fair will be if this wicked curse affects the earth as it does people".
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley will talk with the civilian leaders to see if he can procure some dried meat or similar, and a nice heavy wool blanket fior the evenings. A waterskin would be good too.

[roll=diplomacy]1d20+12[/roll]
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-08-22 at 08:33 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

sorry

diplomacy - (1d20+12)[22]

19. - Top - End - #109

The Green Man

The Green Man rummages through his backpack, cursing softly to himself. After a few minutes, he comes up with a scant pawful of battered silver coins.

Not exactly a king's ransom, but it'll have to do...

The Green Man will offer up six gold for two waterskins and eight travel rations.

Spoiler
    Show
    Back in America. Woo!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Cloth, Silk
    He intones with quiet discretion. “Begging your pardon, but kind sirs.”
    Patience, Pelor would say. Sit with me, my child. Behold my great plan. “Awful things stretch from one spark to swallow a forest. Methought that, the thicker a thorn bush… the closer the great city is. There were beautiful gardens there. The caretakers always gave weed vines gazebos and old ladders to grow on so they could flourish without strangling the King’s trees. I already miss them.”
    Clear eyes plea for you to understand his intentions, the Priest catches the Captain’s attention.
    “Well, I’m glad that nonsense is behind us thank goodness,” Sounding gruff and cocksure, the Guard Captain flashed the lazy half smirk of a doomed man. “at least we’re not boarding up the church and hiding like they want. We’re on the road ahead you tasteless soup stock.”

Of course, he was making the Lich out to be the bones mother used to make chicken soup. Folktales said you ate that stuff to make your ailments go away. Some said it made men immortals.

Green Man
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remember that guilty feeling you got in your stomach, when you slouched and weren’t quite looking straight ahead? Making a deal with a little boy, you manage to trade his water skin for a gold piece. You felt a bit like that right now, no one else would give their water away. It wasn’t really wrong to take advantage of ignorance… for some reason it felt like the hells were smiling up at you.
    Radley
    Spoiler
    Show
    They let you know almost before you ask that, as friends, they’ll give you privileges to loot anything you please after everyone is gone. They won’t spare anything people less fortunate of constitution are going to need to even have a chance of reaching the walled city.
    Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    Make me aware of the things I need to address. You can also roll Sense Motive if you don’t ‘get it’.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Amos almost smiled; almost. He seriously doubted that the lich would be so easily overcome as these two were making him seem to be.

"Be well, friends... we will put an end to this evil, even if in doing so, our lives be forfeit," the bard glanced at Radley, whom he knew the same did not hold true for, but held is tongue otherwise, "Do not look to our return. See only to the defense of the people. May the gods smile upon your souls."

With that, Amos turned and began to walk away, moving alongside the gruff woodsman and his wolf, his shield strapped snug to his left arm as he stared into the woods.

"We should begin our journey."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Adun

To be honest, the man in desert garb had not actually heard most of what the priest or captain of the guard had said. His eyes were already set on the road ahead, as they had been for some times since his speech encouraging action. He considered telling The Green Man not to bother asking for food or water skins from the refugees. Adun actually had a magical item that could provide food and water for all of them twice over each day. Wisps of blue and white light danced around his body before sinking into the ethereal objects around them, giving them a solid form. The sapphire upon each of his bracers surged with an inner light as Adun used it to push beyond his normal limits with the silvery-blue armguards that lay over the bracers and his gloves. A near tangible field of force pushed out from his body before fading to nothingness.

He was ready to bring justice to the shambling dead and allow each and every soul slain in this province to touch the body it had once inhabited.

Spoiler
    Show
    Essentia:17 (-6 for Feats) (E=Essentia Invested) Capacity 3, +1 for bold
    Soulmelds:
    [5] Armguards of Disruption: Disrupt Undead. Touch attack to deal 1d6+Ed6 damage. [Incarnum Focus grants +1 capacity]
    [Bound]: Insight to AC and Saves equal to E against Undead
    [3] Diadem of Purelight: 20+10Eft radius bright illumination, shadowy double. +2 to Spot within any light. Counted as spell level of E for purposes of interacting with magical Darkness.
    [Bound]: Negate less than Total Concealment in Bright illumination. Includes spells. Excludes Invisibility.
    [0] Dissolving Spittle: 1d6+Ed6 acid damage at 30ft ranged touch.
    [3] Pauldrons of Health: Immune to Disease, Sickened, Nauseated. +E enhancement to Fort saves.
    [Bound]: Immunity to Energy Drain
    [0] StrongHeart Vest: Reduce Ability Damage by 1+E
    [0] Vitality Belt: +4 Morale on Con checks and Con based skill checks, but not Fortitude Saves. Gain one hit point per meldshaper level for each Essentia invested. (+10E HP) These are not temporary. Removing these Hit Points can stagger, render unconscious, or even kill Adun.

Feats: Capacity: 2 (change E only once per 24hrs)
    [0] Cerulean Will: Insight to Will equal to E
    [2] Healing Soul: E/day heal 2Ehp as swift
    [2] Midnight Dodge: Dodge for +E to AC
    [2] Sapphire Sprint: Add 5Eft to speed. Retain Dex to AC while running. Add E insight to AC when leaving a threatened square.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

23. - Top - End - #113

The Green Man

He hunkers down in front of the kid, settling his arms over the edges of his knees. "Look, both of us can tell this is an unequal trade. I'd like to say that I need the water so that I can go and fight the lich and that what you're really getting in return is safety for you and your family...but those words sound awfully puffed-up to me. So let me give you something else. Something that might keep you and your family safe, if you're smart about it." He straightens up little bit. Suddenly, he's towering over the boy.

"Now, you'd be powerless to fight something as big as me, right?" The boy's head inclines. He looks like he's about to nod. "Wrong. The only thing worth spit in a fight is technique, and that can be taught. For example, if a big, unthinking man comes after you, you hit him here," he pats the anterior of his kneecap, "here," he points at his in-step, and here." He indicates the two neural 'buttons' on the underside of his jaw. "If the big, unfriendly man is also dead, it's best just to run. He won't feel pain, so he won't give up easily. If he tries to grab you," The Green Man pantomimes a few basic maneuvers to foil a grab. "And that's it. Real basic stuff, but no one seems to teach it to their children these days." His broad shoulders ripple a shrug. He turns around and starts walking over to where the rest of the party is gathering, at the start of the road to Calamdan.

"Stay safe, kid."
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Matthias winces. Teaching kids to fight. And he's not wrong to do it, either. How did it come to this?

He commands Forge to stay, and walks over to the boy. Kneeling down and dragging out one of his potions of Hide from Undead, he places it in the kid's hand. "Listen, if a bunch of dead things come for you, and it looks like things can't get any worse, I want you to drink this - drink all of it, no matter how nasty it tastes, and it will hide you from them. Then run. Run as fast and far away as you can, or back to your parents, and then hide."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Dust, Glitter
    His clarity was wisdom, his sanguine rose thornless. He spoke, Heavens wept. Listen or leave unheard, his eyes always watchful, he made his choice; light in the Darkness.
    Twenty four miles of unforgiving packed dirt roads after sunrise left everyone tired. The ache in your legs, a searing fire that happens too soon; you knew something was wrong because it’s so hard to take the next step after that last one. You’d gone twice as far in less time, why was this happening to you!

It felt like, just for an instant, maybe the distant flickers in the sky were lanterns placed to guide your way. That’s why your eyes never seemed to stray from the far-flung horizon after nightfall. It was getting harder and harder to tell the closer you got to the great city. That chill on your back, was it the soft caress of a ghost… only a cool breeze?

Rest, your feelings - ached. Loneliness, guilt, your hearts were crying. Close your eyes, there was weight on your shoulders. Almost too tired to stand you considered making camp. Bodies lined the roads. None twitched, women, men barely in their teens. Small infants, peaceful, almost as… sleep.

Seeing so many of them, the reason you hadn’t stopped. Sometimes you paused to quote scripture for the many departed. Their burials were improper. It was the least any of you could do. The Priest was saying there should be more evil the closer someone came to the great city, Calamdan.
    Seven of you, all looking along the empty roads, couldn’t find even one thing that should have stayed down. Crimson pinwheels rattled along the roadside. There were hundreds all round the base of a tree fitted with old ropes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll checks for:

Listen (DC 15)
    Constitution (DC 10)
    Constitution (DC 12)
    Constitution (DC 14)
    Constitution (DC 16)
    Will Save (DC 17)
    Last edited by Faithdreamer; 2008-08-28 at 02:52 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Their journey had been an almost silent one, the scene both what they had all expected, an somehow worse as well. Harin had been flying overhead the whole time, keeping an everwatchful eye in case another shambling horde appeared hoping to make the group into a meal.

The band of believers below him seemed to be growing weary, and he himself was feeling a somewhat greater strain on himself than he had expected. But why was this he did not know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I get a bonus for being in the air? (Looks to DM hopefully)
    Would a Protection From Evil help either?

Listen: (1d20+6)[13]
    Constitution: (1d20+5)[18]
    Constitution: (1d20+5)[7]
    Constitution: (1d20+5)[12]
    Constitution: (1d20+5)[10]
    Will: (1d20+11)[30]

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Adun

While others say prayers or chant a somber dirge for the fallen the glowing man pauses to brush a brow or caress a cheek. It is as though he knows them all and quietly speaks to them in the span of a heartbeat. Each foreign soul that passes through him only seems to strengthen his resolve, but with fatigue setting in the champion will doubtlessly be forced to succumb to sleep and exhaustion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen:(1d20)[15] No modifier.
    Con: (1d20+9)[21]
    Con: (1d20+9)[28]
    Con: (1d20+9)[28]
    Con: (1d20+9)[10]
    Will: (1d20+7)[12] +5 if the source is undead.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Tapback if it's allowed:
    Spoiler
    Show

Radley sighs, trying not to think about his rumbling stomach. Hopefully some of these others are good hunters, because he doubts any of the refugees will leave food behind.

As the temple empties out, Radley walks toward the big coin box at the back. It must be swollen with money - how many mindless sheep dropped their last silver in there hoping for a blessing in these dark hours? Swollen with coin, and the priest of the place had just given him permission to loot anything left behind.

He sets a hand on the offering box, looks at the coin slot as if he can divine how much is inside. Probably could if I tried.

Slowly, almost sadly, he draws one of the loose silver from the inner folds of his silk shirt and sets it beside the coin slot. "My only god," he murmurs. He pushes the silver coin into the slot and listens as it clatters into the darkness. It wouldn't help him in the wilds anyway.

With another sigh, he leaves the temple and begins the long walk...

Listen - (1d20+2)[17]Constitution (DC 10)
    Constitution - (1d20+2)[19] (DC 12)
    Constitution - (1d20+2)[7] (DC 14)
    Constitution - (1d20+2)[6] (DC 16)
    Will Save - (1d20+15)[20] (DC 17)

29. - Top - End - #119

The Green Man

The Green Man trudges along in silence beside Radley. While he doesn't look particularly alert, his hands never drift more than a few inches away from where his hatchets hang.

Whenever the party stops to say last rites he steps back a bit, unwilling to get too near the ritual. Your Gods always require death to be sanctified. You say that a corpse is unclean without their blessing. Well, beg pardon, but nature's been looking after bodies for a good long time, and she never needed prayers to return them to the soil. He keeps the words in, but can't quite keep the look of discontentment off of his face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen 15: (d20+6)[12]
    Con 10: (d20+4)[6]
    Con 12: (d20+4)[8]
    Con 14: (d20+4)[19]
    Con 16: (d20+4)[5]
    Will 17: (d20+4)[11]
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Matthias keeps up with the group, although the drain of the travel is bothering him. Shouldn't be this tired yet. At each burial, Matthias remains absolutely still and silent, watching for enemies the whole while.

OOC:

Listen Check: 1d20 + 13 = (1d20+13)[26]
    Constitution Check: 1d20 + 1 = (1d20+1)[21]
    Constitution Check: 1d20 + 1 = (1d20+1)[17]
    Constitution Check: 1d20 + 1 = (1d20+1)[3]
    Constitution Check: 1d20 + 1 = (1d20+1)[19]
    Will Save: 1d20 + 5 = (1d20+5)[6]