New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Of Light, Life and Liches

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Serious Wounds Spell Like ability: (3d8+6)[22]
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Moderate Wounds: (2d8+6)[15]
    Just to finish it off (hopefully). Who knows when we'll get a chance to sleep.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

"Once you're patched up I have a tough question for you," Radley announces to the others. "I think I can use my divination to locate his Majesty's royal personage. But, he didn't seem to take Absalom with him. So who do you want to look for?"
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Silent up to this point, including stoicly quiet when Corvina slipped away, Matthias speaks up.

"Depends on which undead you want to kill. Either one is fine with me."

Forge stalks back and forth, still confused over the loss of scent, and finally settles down and begins scratching while the humanoids talk.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-09-18 at 05:53 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Adun

Adun seems preoccupied listening to voices none can hear, whispering words of wisdom and thanks for his valiant efforts. It warms his heart to hear their encouragement and tales of what had once been their lives. He probably won't notice the others unless they walk off or poke at him directly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Removing 2 Essentia from Sapphire Sprint, my one change for that feat today.

Essentia:17 (-4 for Feats) (E=Essentia Invested) Capacity 3, +1 for bold
    Soulmelds:
    [5] Armguards of Disruption: Disrupt Undead. Touch attack to deal 1d6+Ed6 damage. [Incarnum Focus grants +1 capacity]
    [Bound]: Insight to AC and Saves equal to E against Undead
    [3] Diadem of Purelight: 20+10Eft radius bright illumination, shadowy double. +2 to Spot within any light. Counted as spell level of E for purposes of interacting with magical Darkness.
    [Bound]: Negate less than Total Concealment in Bright illumination. Includes spells. Excludes Invisibility.
    [0] Dissolving Spittle: 1d6+Ed6 acid damage at 30ft ranged touch.
    [3] Pauldrons of Health: Immune to Disease, Sickened, Nauseated. +E enhancement to Fort saves.
    [Bound]: Immunity to Energy Drain
    [2] StrongHeart Vest: Reduce Ability Damage by 1+E
    [0] Vitality Belt: +4 Morale on Con checks and Con based skill checks, but not Fortitude Saves. Gain one hit point per meldshaper level for each Essentia invested. (+10E HP) These are not temporary. Removing these Hit Points can stagger, render unconscious, or even kill Adun.

Feats: Capacity: 2 (change E only once per 24hrs)
    [0] Cerulean Will: Insight to Will equal to E
    [2] Healing Soul: E/day heal 2Ehp as swift
    [2] Midnight Dodge: Dodge for +E to AC
    [0] Sapphire Sprint: Add 5Eft to speed. Retain Dex to AC while running. Add E insight to AC when leaving a threatened square.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Green Man

"If you're not particular, boss, I recommend that we let Amos know exactly what we've seen. Give him fair warning. We don't need another corpsified companion wandering the wilderness."
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

"My preference is to seek the king,"
    Radley responds, "If only because we've lost Absalom's tracks. But you're right. Foolish as he is, the minstrel deserves better. Harin, would you be up for delivering a message?"
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Amos stood firm, putting up his shield, forcing his unease out his mind. He was doing what was right, damn it, and he would not stop now... especially not if doing the right thing meant getting even a sliver of understanding, some tiny, infinitesimal inkling of the Music. With a few strides, he stood before the tree, and drawing his sword, he sank the steel into the ground before him, his muscles no longer so weary. Kneeling, he lifted his gaze to the tree, and sang out in Sylvan, hoping to touch the spirit of the dryad, that he might discern if what had saved Temun would save her also.

Spoiler
    Show
    Err, I'm not entirely sure that I understand what just happened with Temun, but we'll go with it. I'm not using any bardic music, just singing normally in Sylvan. If a Perform check is necessary, it follows.

(1d20+21)[34] (Bloody Charisma penalty! )
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

"Aye, I'll deliver your message. I spent a century as a courier, its no problem". His voice is low and monotone. "But if that fool plans to stay with his tree, I can't promise he'll listen".

He listened to Radley's message and without another word he spread his wings and flew back towards where they had left Amos.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whilst in the air he will cast his Protection From Evil Spell-Like Ability.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2008-09-19 at 01:49 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

((Wow K-B, nice of you to do that.))

Radley literally rolls up his sleeves as he kneels down and takes a moment to concentrate. He seems to be distracted, though, and looks back up at his companions.

"I don't know if I'll find him or not, but if I do... please, please try to take him, well, 'alive' so to speak. All of you are skilled in the arts of war and there are many ways to subdue an opponent. At the very least let's try to get information out of him. We can always destroy him afterward, but let's at least try. Please?"

((OoC: Anyone can deal nonlethal damage with any weapon by taking a -4 on attacks.))

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Undead, constructs, and a few other things are immune to nonlethal damage - attempting to subdue a magic-based undead creature (Such as Corvina) without killing it is extremely difficult and often requires durable restraints or specialized magic. (Monster Manual Page 317) While this is metagame knowledge, I think it's something that Matthias would probably know after a decade of undead hunting, and he'll happily inform the rest of the party.

Matthias

"You've got to be kidding me. There's no trace of the original king left in that thing's body now. And how do you propose to restrain a dead man who can disappear from the middle of all of us and evade our best trackers? You can't beat them senseless, drug them, or stun them like you could a human or an animal. Getting information out of him is also a wasted effort - you can't charm them or dominate them, they aren't affected by most illusions, so they're hard to trick, and you can't even torture them for information because they don't feel pain the way you or I do. There are alot of things that don't affect the undead at all. I suggest we use full firepower the next time we encounter him. I'm surprised your bodyguard didn't warn you off of this."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know that the Green Man did disagree with Radley's request to keep Corvina alive, but Matthias was (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) tracking Corvina at the time, so he may not have heard it.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-09-19 at 12:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

"Invisible isn't so hard to beat. Let's make a net. We can try at least - if he breaks the net then we kill him. He's our damn king, we owe him that much!"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

"I think you're missing the point. He is not your king. You owe him nothing. Your king is very, very dead and if you ever want to see him again, it will have to be after he's been raised from the dead - which is, if I remember correctly, something that can only be done after an undead version of a person is destroyed."

Matthias's voice grows hoarser as he talks. He considers for a moment, and then adds:

"And if his trick was just invisibility I could have followed him. He's got a better understanding of magic than you give him credit for - or else his new form gave him some frightening new powers. And, I mean, a net? As far as I can tell he just entered and exited a river without getting wet or touching anything. He didn't even leave a scent - something most undead don't understand and can't hide."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-09-19 at 12:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

"If you're right, one cast of the net will prove me wrong. Then you'll get no further argument from me. I'll even sap his strength first. All I need is one try."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

He isn't listening to a word I'm saying...

"Fine. Where do you propose to get a net? I came equipped for hunting, not fishing, and making one takes time."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

The merchant shrugs. "Then we better work fast. Green, do you have rope?"

((This is likely to be my last post before I leave. Radley will try to make a net if anyone will give him rope and if no one will stop him. Any help would be great.

Faithdreamer, I'll try to locate the undead dude whenever the team is ready and we can go from there.

Feel free to roll for me guys!))

17. - Top - End - #227

The Green Man...

...growls assent the moment Matthias starts to argue with Radley. "Listen to the man. He's been dealing with these things far longer than either of us have, and he's still alive. That's very, very noteworthy. A net is not going to capture something like Corvina. At the very least, he's going to shred his way through it and keep coming at us. Or, if we're slightly unlucky, he'll turn it all into snakes, throw it back, and bury one of us under a pile of pit vipers.

Maybe you feel some loyalty to the man. I don't--he's never done anything for me and I don't know him personally--but if you do, you're better off burying that emotion. Put it down as deep as it'll go, and only scrape the earth back off of it when Corvina's dead. The thing that's wearing his skin is a threat to both of us, and it cannot be reasoned with."

Having finished his piece, The Green Man steps back to regard Matthias with grudging respect.

Still crazy, but if he keeps my employer alive, I'm not gonna complain.
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-09-22 at 01:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

After several minutes he spotted the tree were they had "camped" the night before. Setting down a good few feet away he waited for a moment before announcing himself, listening to his song.

(Assuming Amos doesn't acknowledge him)"Master bard, I hope that you have fared better than us. We are grouped less than a mile from here and are deciding on our next move. Will you be joining us?"

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Radley glowers at Green. "You're the worst employee I've ever not fired. It's a good thing you're handy as a bodyguard." He shakes his head. "Though the lack of other applicants helps you, too." He chortles and resumes his seat, looking around at the others. "I see I'm outmanned. So what's the plan?"

20. - Top - End - #230

The Green Man...

...chuckles. "Okay, maybe I'm hardly ever hired for my interpersonal skills. But the contract I signed clearly stated that it was my job to keep you alive for the duration of your business venture. I'm gonna stick to that, even if it means bodily carrying you away from harm."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Hanging Tree
    His voice goes unanswered, his song is the only warmth to fill the creaky tree, and it seems the Dryad is well on her way to some place beyond material. A lingering sense of foreign creeps at the edge of Amos’s senses. Like something’s hiding because it didn’t understand the small, insignificant thing standing near its feet; should it be afraid because it was small or laugh at its presumptions and devour it? What was this new creature called Amos? Would the sound of its voice drive this Amos creature to madness?

Some things are better left alone… Bards were known for their daring.

Radley
    Spoiler
    Show
    From your reconnaissance, earlier you learned that King Corvina hadn’t really gone very far in overland distance terms. Beneath the river you managed to locate an entrance through a large tunnel that led to an underground cavern. From the impressions you noticed were in the dirt, Corvina had gone there.
    Prudence
    There were a few options left. Naturally you may continue down the road and altogether ignore the King’s bait. That would be the sensible choice, it meant giving up Absalom Stormcaller if you didn’t mind that on your conscience; be your own guest. The cave was probably dangerous, a trap or so you would be wise to believe.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Amos stood, sword in hand, but held low, un-threateningly. He spoke, calmly and without uncertainty. He would face whatever this was as he had faced Temun, and other trials in his time.

Quietly at first, then growing in volume once more, Amos continued to sing in Sylvan, the oldest language he knew... the oldest language anyone he had spoken with knew. Reaching out toward the tree with his free hand, Amos paused, holding one powerful note a few seconds longer, giving himself that much more courage... and then his palm pressed against the bark of the tree.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Adun

The strange man has resorted to playing with marbles as he awaits some form of action from the others. He knows something must be done but no longer does he trust his own judgment as fatigue and so many voices are beginning to instill the seeds of doubt. He had been unable to reshape his thoughts and calm the many souls in the morning and as such he was a bit... muddled.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Since no answer is forthcoming, Radley sets about casting his divination spell and reports to the others.

"It looks like our king has a hidey-hole about... he seems to be underground near the river. Maybe under the river itself."

If the others are interested, he will show them the direction from which he can sense the crown, which is the object of his spell.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

"That's even worse then." Matthias begins pacing impatiently. "Not only does he have all the normal advantages, he's gone somewhere where we can't breathe."

"And," Matthias grins - not a pretty sight, "You can't throw a net underwater. We should get going towards Calamar."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

"He's wounded now, and we know where he is."

27. - Top - End - #237

The Green Man

"Good. That'll make it harder for him to follow us. Barring some storm of unexpected dead-king magic, at least."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Radley is beginning to look very irritated.

He shakes his head. "Bah, and one of our own might be down there with him. I'm going to investigate. Green, if you want to protect me while I do my job, come on. Otherwise you're free to stay with the others."

He begins walking in the direction from which he senses the king, looking for any kind of opening as he goes.

faithdreamer only:
    Spoiler
    Show

Once away from the others I will discreetly cast Message, pointing my finger toward Calvin while making some other gesture (like adjusting my robes) and whispering so low it's barely audible even to me. "Go in with me. I'll distract him while you get the ring. When you get it, fly out of there. I'll finish him if I have to or run if I need to."

29. - Top - End - #239

The Green Man...

...grumbles, but he follows anyways. There isn't much else he can do.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Digging…

Radley takes his time; the Green Man is beside him for all of it. Whether the others followed or not the pair squeezed through the underwater hole with little trouble. They searched through the darkness, stabbing handholds in the slippery rock. At first it was dark – no problem for an undead – then Radkey sparked an arcane light.

It was little more than a small hole. Curled up and hugging himself, the King regards them both with mild interest. Sir Absalom is curled up against the wall, eyes closed, his pallid skin a deathly sign. His body shudders for just an instant, dried red blood on his clothes but he was still – the smell in the room got worse.

“My traitorous Knight deserves this burial, I wondered why you wanted to share our grave.” King Corvina’s voice was tired.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Fortitude saves.