Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Arena Tournament, Round 45: Greyven vs. Little Knife Guy

High Ref chilepepper

refs
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the middle of Greyven's movement, LKG's readied action triggers. Greyven rolled his reactive spot, but it was not enough to spot LKG.

LKG
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see him round the corner and walk up the F line. When he enters F13, your readied action triggers.
    <--- Avatar made by bayar

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yay! Eat dagger!

Attack vs FF: (1d20+8)[26]. +8 due to the high ground from the map (or was that just re-iterating the high-ground rules from the PHB? If so, subtract 1...)

Damage: (2d6+1)[11] My max damage is 1, then +2d6 SA, so I'm just doing it like this.
    Crit (for +1 damage!): (1d20+8)[20]
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

3. - Top - End - #33

High Ref chilepepper

For clarification, that attack is a triggered readied action, however...

0(bab) +5(dex) +1(size) +1(racial) +1(higher ground) -6(range)
    You should have a +2 total attack bonus.

We'll give Grayven a chance to respond.
    Last edited by chilepepper; 2008-08-25 at 05:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Don't you mean -4 range? Range increment 10'. -2 for 10-20, -4 for 20-30. +1 for PBS. Forgot about that. So a +5 attack bonus. That's a 24. I think? Can't remember my exact roll.... Also checking range increments rules.

EDIT: 23, my roll was an 18.

Range penalties: first range increment incurs no penalty. Every full increment incurs a -2 cumulative penalty. So the penalty comes into play at >10', >20', and >30'. At least, that's what I see (and what I've always played, so I'm familiar with this interpretation). Though it might be that you incur a -2 for the first one, then another -2 on the second one, and the first one just ignores the penalty. It also might be that the first one doesn't incur and each one after that starts the -2 (looks to be the intent, it's just botched wording). I'll check my PHB here in a sec.
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-08-25 at 05:16 PM.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chilepepper View Post
    High Ref chilepepper

For clarification, that attack is a triggered readied action, however...

0(bab) +5(dex) +1(size) +1(racial) +1(higher ground) -6(range)
    You should have a +2 total attack bonus.

We'll give Grayven a chance to respond.
    Thank you for the further clarification Chili (although it makes little difference to Grayven)

Good choice of action LKG.

But, I may not be done yet.

First of, I'm assuming that my meager S&N rolls failed to detect your sneakieness (or you were simply invisible!!! Which, I'd need to know if that was the case).

In addition to what Chili mentioned, you would need to roll your 1d3 for damage, because unless you roll that 3 (adding that +1 to damage), Grayven will end up at 0 hp rather than negs...which matters a lot.

In addition, I am curious as to what your position is, I'm guessing the -6 Chili mentioned, you're still quite far away, which also makes me wonder what square I was in when your attack actually triggered...

I'm sure Chili, or another free ref. will wrap up these question in no time though, so we can proceed with what remains of the match (which probably won't be much longer).
    EDIT: New job, irregular schedule. Sporadic posting. Please bear with me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives."
    For your convenience.
    (as well as mine. )

Awesome Avatar Actualized by KPenguin!

6. - Top - End - #36

Minimum of 1 damage. Always a minimum of 1 damage. Hence why I just added 1 to my SA dice...it's my max and my min.

Also, I'd assume the refs would tell me if you spotted me, since I would know (unless you want to bluff not seeing me?), so I assumed (I pray correctly) that you wouldn't have seen me until I launched a dagger into your face.

EDIT: Actually, you take one more damage than I listed, because of PBS. So it still wouldn't matter

So 12 damage.

EDIT 2: if you were a single inch closer, it would have been a 23, but it is a 21. Still hits I believe. unless you have some ace in the hole.

EDIT 3: it's on the increment that you take the penalty, btw. So at 10 (10-19.999) it's -2, 20 (20-29.999) it's -4, and 30 (30-39.999) it's -6.
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-08-25 at 05:27 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

7. - Top - End - #37

Okay, so after I throw my dagger (attack of 21, damage of 12), you see me hanging out in G7, and the dagger gets you at F13. Do you have anything to respond with? After getting struck by the dagger, that is.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Grayven

Grayven, seeing the dagger flying through the air, attempts to deflect it with his buckler, but misses the blade narrowly, it's edge slashing cleanly through his neck, and he falls to the ground unconscious and bleeding.

Comments: The reason that I reqested any further information was that I still retained a Standard action (which I was seriously considering using for Full Defense), as well as the possibility that I might have had cover from your attack (which, I do not believe I did).

Not to mention that if you had rolled only slightly worse, you would have missed (my FF AC was 17).

But, going by the spirit and the word of my actions as I wrote them, you would have caught Grayven "off guard".

Congrats and good luck in your next match!
    Last edited by Thrall_Of_Ao; 2008-08-25 at 07:09 PM.

For your convenience.
    (as well as mine. )

9. - Top - End - #39

Readied actions interrupt what's triggering it. You can take an immediate action when a readied action triggers, but not a standard since you can't take a standard action in the middle of a move action. Furthermore, since you were flatfooted to his attack, you could not have reacted anyway.

Correct on the minimum damage.

Full defense is a full round action. Attacking defensively is a standard action.

Range penalty is -6, as I said. Still hit though.

Little Knife Guy is the winner.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Chili-
    Spoiler
    Show

Although the final result is the same, (LKG winning) I can't help but disagree with you Chili.

Total defense in 3.5 is a standard action.

Hence, if I had only been reduced to 0 hp, I still could have taken my standard action to complete my move and throw my alchemists fire (which would have little chance of hitting, but could potentially have won me the match before I passed out).

For your convenience.
    (as well as mine. )

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Thrall_Of_Ao View Post
    Chili-
    Total defense in 3.5 is a standard action.
    You're absolutely right, my mistake.