New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default I marathoned Erfworld and heard "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning" today

In doing so I discovered some strange parallels between the lyrics of the song and the plot of Erfworld.

Send a heartbeat to
    The void that cries through you
    Relive the pictures that have come to pass
    For now we stand alone
    The world is lost and blown
    And we are flesh and blood disintegrate
    With no more to hate

To me invokes the image of Stanely's fast collapsing empire (The world is lost and blown), which is made up in large part of uncroaked infantry (And we are flesh and blood disintegrate), facing the armies of the world (For now we stand alone) and of Wanda casting the spell that summons Parson (Send a heartbeat to he void that cries through you).

Is it bright where you are
    Have the people changed
    Does it make you happy you're so strange
    And in your darkest hour
    I hold secret's flame
    We can watch the world devoured in its pain

The first three lines of the chorus, seems like a perfect description of Parson's situation in Erfworld.

"And in your darkest hour I hold secret's flame", at least this time, brings to me the image of both the way Parson is in the dark about even the most basic thing which others hold knowledge of, and how Parson is bound to obey the Tool because of the mechanics of the spell. Mechanics that Wanda and Stanely understand and Parson doesn't.

The last line seems to be what Stanely's forces would be pushing the world towards if they had the upper hand.

Delivered from the blast
    The last of a line of lasts
    The pale princess of a palace cracked
    And now the kingdom comes
    Crashing down undone
    And I am a master of a nothing place
    Of recoil and grace

Is this not a perfect description of Stanley's abandonment of Gobwin knob because he believes it will fall, leaving Parson in charge?

Have the people changed
    And in your darkest hour
    I hold secret's flame

The first three lines again, seem to me to fit being about Parson.

The next lines, however, have changed.

Obviously, I see "In your darkest hour" as a representation of the nea hopelessness of defending Gobwinknob.

"I hold secret's flame" Parson's many plans. Booby trapping the catacombs, contacting Charlie, etcetera.

"We can watch the world devoured in its pain" What will happen if he fails.

<i>Time has stopped before us
    The sky cannot ignore us
    No one can separate us
    For we are all that is left
    The echo bounces off me
    The shadow lost beside me
    There's no more need to pretend
    Cause now I can begin again</i>

This one means two things to me.

1. The situation Parson's almost in. He, Wanda, Sizemore, and Bogroll making a stand and claiming victory. I see Sizemore as the echo. "The echo bounces off me". With what Sizemore last said to Parson, they seem to be growing apart. The echo has bounced off. I see Bogroll as the Shadow (what with following Parson around (shadowing him) as his lackey). On the specukative side I formed the theory that Bogroll will get what he wants and save Parson's life, possibly being croaked, or at least injured, in the process "the Shadow lost beside me".

2. Purely speculative. I see Stanely successfully taking FAQ and the people at Gobwin knob becoming their own faction with Parson as the overlord (There's no more need to pretend Cause now I can begin again).

Have the people changed

Again, Parson himself.

And in your darkest hour
    I hold secrets flame
    Strange
    Strange
    Strange

This one's gonna stay in my head.

So, what do you guys think?

EDIT: Hm, 88 views without a single comment.

Apparently I wrote something so totally off the wall that I left you all entirely speechless.
    Last edited by The Adder; 2008-08-09 at 08:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: I marathoned Erfworld and heard "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning" today

Apparently I wrote something so totally off the wall that I left you all entirely speechless.
    Yep. confounded us entirely (wanted to say just yep but 10 char limit)
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I marathoned Erfworld and heard "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning" today

Quote Originally Posted by The Adder View Post
    EDIT: Hm, 88 views without a single comment.

Yes, yes you did.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, I tend to partially loose my mind that late at night. While the thought of how seemingly related to Erfworld's plot that song's lyrics were I had no intention of going into that much detail when making this topic.

I actually woke up, looked at it, and pondered what in the name of god I'd done.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by The Adder View Post
    Yeah, I tend to partially loose my mind that late at night. While the thought of how seemingly related to Erfworld's plot that song's lyrics were I had no intention of going into that much detail when making this topic.

I actually woke up, looked at it, and pondered what in the name of god I'd done.
    It's not BAD off the wall, but I can say that sometimes, something off the wall can revolutionise things; I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head, though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

...what are you smoking?

7. - Top - End - #7

Seek professional help.
    "Look at me, I'm Robespierre!"

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and their stuff together...okay, three, two, one, LET'S JAM!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Reminds me of the "Dark Side Of The Rainbow". Whether that's genius, madness, or both is left as an exercise for the student.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Reminds me of the "Dark Side Of The Rainbow". Whether that's genius, madness, or both is left as an exercise for the student.
    From the perspective of the smart (but not genius) and sane, how can we tell?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, for what it's worth I have a lower-level genius IQ and I think the OP is artsy genius. Or did you mean 'the Dark side of the Rainbow'? Seems like good stuff.
    It's kind of obvious though, when you read the song (haven't heard it before) if you have any significant interest in Erfworld and the GK storyline in particular, but the double-sided commentary for the refrain is a really neat and wonderful touch.
    Kudos!
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2008-08-16 at 05:37 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Silly, the only album that really synchs with this comic is Days of Future Passed.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, today's page makes that theory on the final chorus far more likely than I once thought it was (though still unlikely)