New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Homebrew Doctor Who

Hello, all.

I'm fairly new to RPing, and even newer to GMing. I've started working on a campaign based in the Doctor Who universe (sans the Doctor for balance). I've been using the d20 system to design the campaign, convert monsters (gargoyles minus stone powers for Krillitanes, for example) etc. My trouble now is designing the player classes. I want to have a couple of races (humans, humans from the past, ill-cloned Sontaran, Cat people... Still working on this), but I don't know how to do it. If I used the race/class process of DnD 3.5 or Star Wars, then it won't be compatible with D20 Modern/Future, will it? And if I just use the Strong/Tough model, then the characters won't feel different enough. Y'know?

Any thoughts? General tips on homebrewing? Comments on how I've got it wrong from the start?

Thanks in advance.
    Kosmopolite

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew Doctor Who

Well, the Malmooth are a loosely-adapted version of Chantho's race from Utopia. I've also got some homebrew Daleks kicking around, if you want to give those a look.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

That'd be good, thanks.

To avoid people assuming that this is turning into a two-man conversation, I'm still looking for tips on the player characters, etc. :)
    Last edited by Kosmopolite; 2008-08-12 at 09:01 AM.
    Kosmopolite

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

As I mentioned in my other thread, I'm also considering GURPs. Any thoughts on that?
    Kosmopolite

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Homebrew Doctor Who? Sounds good. Don't forget the Ice Warriors!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I think the trouble with player classes is that most of the classes are fairly consistent; it's more the races involved that become varied in a Dr. Who world. Most of the classes would probably be things like medic (UNIT, tesh, etc), soldier (UNIT, dalek, cyberman, sontaran, etc), barbarian (androgum, scotsman, sevateem), savant (gallifreyan, tesh, etc) - some races would be appropriate for some classes, as noted; others, like the Varga would probably be basic monsters, and some like Solonians would be tough to balance.

Seems like an awful lot of work that I would be far too lazy to get done. :)
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.