New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Land of the Dragon - Party 2

Looking down at the machine at his side "I guess we must wait, though my patience will last only so long."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Drake

Drake frowns, "The substance could be the whole reason for an attack on Thamior... I would think mentioning it to the investigators could be a big help on figureing out the motive of whomever might have done this."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

But shouldnt they already know about it ?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

4. - Top - End - #64

Flyn

"Sure, as long as none of the investigators were in on it. I mean, who can we trust here? The only ones that I trust are the ones that are here because they have letters from Thamior asking them to come. If he was killed or captured or otherwise detained because of this, our knowledge of this substance's existence might just get us killed too." Flyn pauses and looks at Drake's youth and guesses at something.

"Or do you think that you are better than Thamior and can survive what he could not?"
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-08-22 at 09:37 AM. Reason: grammar
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

5. - Top - End - #65

The people approaching the house
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do any of you have any form of light you are using, or will you all be trying to see by the faint sunlight?
    Thanks to banjo1985 for the amazing Avatar.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Drake

Drake pauses, and looks at Flyn oddly. "I don't exactly know what you have in mind, but please stop trying to work me..." He turns and looks back at the group, "Does anyone have a heatless torch or other lightsource? I have sunrods, but they throw off a lot of sparks, and that's not something you generally want to do in an alchemist's lab."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-08-22 at 10:34 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Even when the wind whispered past them to try and encourage them, the wild flowers stayed quiet. Taniella stood up slowly then, looking sadly down at them. She didn't think there was no response because the flowers disliked her. Forest firs, flowers and fey folk always liked each other. The flowers are too upset to talk, she realized. Something terrible really must have happened to mister Thamior. Taniella was about to ask the group outside what they were doing to help so she could help them – until the giant black-scaled being was without lasting patience. Tension touched her, and she began wondering if the half-dragon, half-scary man was kind when he was bored. She swallowed nervously.

Drake came back to ask if anyone had a torch. Her right hand shot up, “Me, me, me! I can see in the not lit places.”

Quickly she paced to his side, continuing, “And a light too.”

Dipping her hand into a pocket, Taniella felt around blindly between for a second before pulling out a gold coin. Holding it up to eye level as though to appraise it, she started whispering and making slight gestures near the coin's face, writing in an archaic alphabet. Suddenly the coin shone with a bright light of white. She smiled at it, despite it being only minor shrug of spell-power to her, and held it at arms length.

Da-ta.”

She handed the brightly shining gold coin to Drake, intending to follow him into the house.

Spoiler
    Show
    Artificers can cast Light on items. That's what I did here. It's a first level spell that makes "objects shine like a torch".

8. - Top - End - #68

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    I have darkvision...

9. - Top - End - #69

Flyn

Flyn shrugs at the lad and shakes his head. "Ah, the exuberance of youth. I'm sure you are all right, and I have no idea what I'm talking about. But I offer advice from experiences I've had. If you'd like the experience yourself, please, enjoy yourself." Flyn walks with him, but does not continue in conversation.

Spoiler
    Show

Are we at the house yet?
    Spot +8, Listen +8 in case that matters.
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-08-22 at 02:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

OOC: Sorry but what is happening? I thought we where going to talk to the investigators but we appear to have arrived at the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

11. - Top - End - #71

{OOC: I am under the impression that everyone headed towards the house, and arrived near it, and the merry band of three is attempting to make first contact with any investigators on site, with the scary looking people hanging back until we make sure we aren't going to anger anyone by tromping around the house looking for clues.}

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Drake

Drake smiles at Taniella, "Thank you, that's exactly what I needed... I don't have a light spell currently memorized. Why don't you come along, an extra pair of eyes can't hurt." He turns back to Flyn, "Lets go in..." He enters the house, no doubt with Flyn and Taniella, holding up the lit coin.

Inexperienced as I might be, Flyn... I wonder exactly what sort of interactions you've had with criminal investigators before, and why it has made you so... leery of them.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-08-23 at 12:18 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by kentma57 View Post
    OOC: Sorry but what is happening? I thought we where going to talk to the investigators but we appear to have arrived at the house.
    <OOC: I assumed you were going to the house, since theres no way anyone in the Tavern would know where the investigators are. Correct me if I am wrong.>
    Last edited by SensFan; 2008-08-23 at 08:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

{ooc: I guessed that investigators would be at his house. If they aren't, then that just makes this easier, no?}

15. - Top - End - #75

Anyone who approaches the house, only!
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a note on the door. It reads as follows.
    WARNING! Investigation Ongoing!

DO NOT ENTER, TOUCH, OR LOITER AROUND THIS BUILDING!

Thanks for your co-operation,

City of Eterna.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Drake

Drake reads the sign and frowns, "I had supposed they would be here, but I'm guessing they've closed up since there are no lights inside. What do you think, Flyn... Taniella?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

17. - Top - End - #77

Flyn

"Looks like if we want to help we either need to find the investigators and ask permission, or do it without and try not to let them know."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Drake

Drake shrugs, "It's best if we know what they have found out first... I suppose we should head back into town and talk to them."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. - Top - End - #79

Flyn

Flyn takes a breath and slowly releases it.

"Yes, of course, we go talk to the investigators. But perhaps we should check in with the others first?" Flyn gestures to the others to come over and discuss the situation.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Well what happened? Why did you come back so soon? Why aren't we investigating?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Drake

Drake shakes his head, "The investigators have posted a sign indicating that nobody should enter. They aren't here at present."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

22. - Top - End - #82

Kobold

YipYip will just follow the party around, since he doesnt know alot more than fighting.

23. - Top - End - #83

Flyn

"This young man would like to go speak with the investigators before we look around the house."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Why should we wait around? Why not take a look inside now?We may lose an entire night's worth of searching if we go to find these investigators."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Drake

Drake looks at the warforged. "Well, lets discuss it. Are we prepared to lose all interaction with the town's investigators as well as invoking the wrath of the town officials in order to begin our own investigation immediately? If that is the concensus of those here, I suppose we can ignore their sign."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

So someone said something about not sleuthing. It was Drake, she remembered. She wasn't really listening. Instead, Taniella's transfixed eyes were held in the clutches of the evil note.

The city investigators were being selfish or silly by not encouraging everyone that wanted to help to do exactly that. There was no way to justify stopping good people from trying to help a greater person. They might even have been the bad people that hurt mister Thamior's favourite familiar!

Besides, Taniella wanted to know what had terrorized the wild flowers into a wilting silence. A guilty glance reminded her that her new wizardly friend with the brown eyes wanted to trust the deceptive sign. She then decided she would make it so Drake wouldn't have to decide to obey or object. He could be told what was inside instead.

Slowly, the trixie edged away from the talking group, getting closer to the sign, and hence the door. Sidelong glances and small sidesteps allowed her to sneak up on the door and away from whoever was talking or listening. She peered briefly at the note to see. Now that she read it, it remained the same, its opinion rigid that not even friends of mister Thamior could look inside. It was a dour note that was probably bitter it had been written in such bad handwriting. She ignored it. Resolutely, her hand around the door handle, she tried to open it quietly and go inside to see what was in there.

DC 10 listen/spot check:

Spoiler
    Show
    You notice a trixie about yay-so-high with green hair with that metallicy-sheen in it quietly moving away from the group, and towards the building. Oddly enough, it looks like Taniella. And then she tries to open the door and go into said building.

Throw on a -4 penality for being distracted due to conversation or something. Really, I don't mind one way or the other. Feel free to notice or not to.

Minor sidenotes:

Spoiler
    Show
    Low-light vision means I don't need any silly torch.

But I have to wonder if the door has a silent alarm set. It would make some sense. But so would not having one up. If this place is small-time-ish, the people in charge might not take all precautions seriousily. I doubt it's boobytrapped though. But, who knows. Oh well, reading magic is for wizards and creatures that aren't curious.

27. - Top - End - #87

Flyn

Flyn can't help but see the little Trixie heading for the door, in an effort to help her along her way, Flyn quickly remarks aloud, "Is there someone coming up the street? I think I see some people in the shadows over there. Hiding almost. Three in dark clothes. Yes, three people in dark clothes sneaking up the street. They look menacing!" Flyn points away from the door towards a particularly shady area on the street.

Spoiler
    Show

spot - (1d20+8)[18]
    listen - (1d20+8)[20]
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-08-27 at 08:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Drake

Drake turns to look at where Flyn is pointing, and after looking for a moment, holding up the glowing coin he turns. "What are you talking about?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

29. - Top - End - #89

Spoiler
    Show

Flyn is pointing out of range of the light source, well over 20' away.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Drake

Seeing Flyn is still pointing at the distant shadows, he turns and strides a few feet in that direction, holding up the light. "Hey... Who goes there!"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald