New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Journals on the Gem Sea

Welcome to the city and island of Olaris, a bustling port city. The past is the past, the real question is 'what do I do now?'

Spoiler
    Show
    Introduce yourself, describe what you're doing at the moment (e.g. making a sandwich, drinking in a tavern, getting off of a ship) and call a color for dialogue. OOC stuff like this goes in spoiler like this, or in the OOC thread. (which will be put up, I swear.)
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-08-13 at 07:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Journals on the Gem Sea

Spoiler
    Show
    Claimed
    It is not a true "color" its a hex code of a shade of blue =P

[Seph]

A human monk, with a half-orc had been one of the last to exit the ship. Whether it was a stubborn captain wanting to repay the job these two had done, Seph demanding to make sure it was set for docking, or what-have-you. "So, new town. Weapon shop, armory, tavern, or brothel; where to my friend?" The man listed off the items as if they were a mere joke to be actually functioning. He cared for no such physical pleasures--the last was merely a joke.

He was dressed in a long-sleeved white karate gi with the sleeves crossing each other over top of his folded arms. His belt equivalent, the color equivalent of his training. Upon his back, was a lightly packed backpack, and around his belt a small pouch could be found.
    Characters:

I live on the time zone which is -5 hours to GMT, but I'm a night owl. Beware!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Malvina Reynolds, Human Rogue/Bard

Elsewhere in town, a young-looking, and fairly pretty were it not for her rather disgruntled expression, woman leaves a tavern and starts in the direction of the docks, her blonde hair swirling around her shoulders and her piercing ice-blue eyes reflecting the sun as she walks purposefully down the street, one hand gently resting on the hilt of the rapier that hangs from her belt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Malvina will be speaking in Dark Red.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Hmm... I claim this color, I think it suits a character who's bent on revenge.

[Jerren Stilsmite]
    Strong and powerful build young human, Jerren exits the less than reputable tavern, just missing a lead on the mercenary group which slew companions. His large mace swings across his belt, he is clad in full plate with a large red tabard denoting he is a cleric of St. Cuthbert. He thinks to himself Where could that rat have gotten to? Ah well, they live for a day longer, I need a drink.
    He then heads to the next dignified Inn he sees.
    Spoiler
    Show

Umm... is this the party roster?
    {table]Character|Player|Race|Class|Alignment
    Jerren Stilsmite | The Quinn | Human | Cleric | LN
    Seph Barlzara | ZaneLaCoix | Human | Monk | LG
    Jull | Rettu Skcollob | Half-orc | Fighter | CG
    Malvina Reynolds | Bushranger | Human | Rouge/bard | CN
    Zordek Dreadhammer | Phantom Genius | Dwarf | Paladin | LG
    Wave-Watcher | Darkantra | Human | Druid | N
    [/table]
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-13 at 08:15 PM.
    Running Keep on the Shadowfell
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Erradran Silverhand - Arena ranger in the paragon devision
    Jerren Stilsmite - Revenge driven Cleric of St. Cuthbert

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wave-Watcher, Human Druid

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take Tealfor my colour. Any time he speaks in Aquan I'll put it in Arial Narrow.

A tanned and weatherworn man stands at the end of the docks, seeming to enjoy the wind and salt laced air. Anyone watching would have noticed him moving his body back and forth along with the waves in a trance of some sort. With a sigh he opens up his eyes and looks down to a squid that is bobbing in the water below him.

He puts his hand, palm down, out towards the animal and speaks to it in a strange, watery language.

"I shall be back soon my friend. Stay."

The squid blinks at him once and then swims down, letting itself sink into the silt at the base of the pier. Satisfied, the man adjusts his worn hide and backback and begins walking down the dock.

I should seek out a tavern. The ebb and flow of information there should give me some answers.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-08-13 at 09:56 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfClericGuy

"Hail! Welcome new friends! Pullupa seat, tellus yer tale and I'll be buyin' some ale!" says the most endearing and handsome dwarf in the history of the Gem Sea.

Zordek reaches for his pouch, noting the tabard.

"Be ye priest or paladin, yer'all be welcome 'ere."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The tavern in question is the Jade Inn. It's as close to reputable as can be found on the docks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, you all just went to a tavern together. But I'd have to... start an adventure in a tavern. It's so... easy. Huh. Imagine that. And yes, that's the roster.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-08-14 at 08:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh, that must be one of the Rules of Roleplaying - if the DM doesn't start the campaign in a tavern, the players will find one for him...

Malvina

Brushing her hair off her shoulder, Malvina drops into a seat in the tavern and nods to the cheerful dwarf.
    I'll be having a pint of the strongest ale they've got, in fact, if it's all the same to you.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

9. - Top - End - #9

Wave-Watcher

As soon as he enters the bar Wave-Watcher spends a moment letting his senses acclimate to the mix of scents in the tavern before taking a seat near the boisterous dwarf.

"A light ale please," he says to the barkeep, "and thank you, friend dwarf, for the invitation."

He sips at his drink slowly and takes a careful look around the tavern, not looking for trouble, but merely observing the local.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler
    Show

I claim Olive

As the light played lazily off of the landscape, it shone brightly off of the large, imposing figure which stepped off of the ship, keeping slightly behind the Monk that too had exited. As the figure drew closer to the ground, the glare caused by his shimmering armor and shield dimmed, revealing him to be an extremely large Half-Orc, with rather prominent lower canines. Ungroomed black hair, badly cut, hung behind his shoulders, and a large, well-made bastard-sword was slung over his back. As the Monk queried him as to his preferred destination, he screwed up his face, in apparent deep thought.

... I, t'ink... Tavern.
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2008-08-14 at 10:24 PM.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Jerren
    Jerren enters the tavern just in time to hear the dwarf's claim. At first he is some what annoyed at these loud people. Suddenly his head rises, a plan begins to hatch in his mind. My purse is a bit heavy, he will say then offer to buy everyone who comes to the dwarf's table and tells a good story. This would be the perfect opportunity to gain some information about the area and hear any rumors.
    The door shuts and he puts a smile on his face, exited that the majority of the tavern would enjoy a free drink, and telling of a few stories. His eyes fall on the dwarf, obviously aligned with some sort of god. Yet the symbol is unknown to him. He walks to the bar to order a drink fro him self, making sure that the drink goes from the cask directly to his tankard. Jerren then gives a large smile to the bar wench and hands over his copper along with several gold peices.
    He says to the bar wench " Here is the money that will pay for many rounds for the tavern, but give me a minute to get everyone exited."
    Jerren then walks to the table where several people are consolidating, "How is everyone doing on this fine day?" He then becomes some what surprised that there is a woman and a druid have joined that table.
    He then gives a hearty yell:
    "A round for everyone, please join us here and tell us your stories!!"
    Jerren then beings conversing with those on the table asking them where they came from and where they plan to go. What stories they have heard and especially any rumors.
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-14 at 08:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

[Seph]

"Tavern it is." Then, without another word, the duo headed off the the closest tavern--doubtlessly so the same one that'll be the noisiest around.

"Quite the crowd." He said with a bow, stepping behind the half-orc. It was his turn to lead in these rowdy places--Seph may have been good in battle, but Jull was more suited for this kind of stuff. Besides, he had no intentions of starting up a fight--but bar fights do happen.
    Last edited by ZaneLaCoix; 2008-08-14 at 08:50 PM.
    Characters:

13. - Top - End - #13

Jull navigates the town with little difficulty, ascertaining the location of a tavern is a simple matter, dockside taverns being notoriously conspicuous. Elbowing a few people aside to make room for his significant bulk, Jull enters the establishment, momentarily surprised when the young human and the Dwarf shout out for stories. Turning around to Seph, he says in a low voice, grinning;

I t'ink dat da Dwarf be buyin', wot say we get us some free ale?

Striding heavily through the crowd of people, Jull places himself heavily in a seat next to the Dwarf and grins at him, holding out a gauntletted hand.

Heya dere Dwarf, you be buyin', you alrigh' wid me. I's Jull, and my compen... Cempa... Friend dere is Seff.

Jull makes a wide gesture towards the Monk with his other guantletted hand, narrowly avoiding braining anyone close by.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Malvina

So, do people make a habit of buying drinks for others around here? If so, I've gotta tell ya, this is the kinda place I could come to enjoy.
    She sips her drink, then nods at the others who have arrived.
    Well since you've introduced yourselves, it's only fair I do the same. Malvina Reynolds, former trading-firm heiress and now free agent, at your service.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15

Wave-Watcher

The druid sips at his ale as the others introduce themselves.

"I would not know, this is my first visit to Olaris," he says to Malvina before addressing their group, "I am called Wave-Watcher, and I am here for perspective and a new path. I am a nature servant of the waves as some of you may have guessed."
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-08-15 at 01:21 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfClericGuy

The dwarf's smile grows broader as he tries to match Jull's grip.

"Well, well, Jull an' Seph...Seph an' Jull...a daring duo you be.
    An' Merry Malvina, lovely lady wit' a stirrin' story, no doubt.
    And o'course the mystery man, known only as Wave Watcher.
    Still ye shared more name than our sudden benefactor 'ere.
    I had thought tha first round be mine, but I yield ta tha emissary of St. Cuthbert."

"I be Zordek Dreadhammer, son of Odin Bloodhammer, son of Bastion Rockhammer hisself." (as if anyone would have heard of an old dwarven miner) "An' I bid ye welcome to the Jade Inn, tha finest establishment thissida tha street!" He holds his mug high.

Malvina M'dear,
    when Zordek be here,
    free ale be e'er near!

Zordek Dreadhammer
    -Charisma is not a dump stat

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A rather hassled bar maid pushes her way to the table. Ahem. Rounds for the whole bar? For a story? Ah well, not my money holy man, so long as there bastards remember to tip even though they aren't paying for the drinks. Now, ales all around? Or would the big spenders like some wine. I'd offer the brandy but I know for a fact that you don't want to touch the stuff. Don't tell the boss I said that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Malvina chuckles at the dwarf's enthuiasm and nods to the barmaid.
    Free ale always agrees with me. And if you could have a second glass ready it would be excellent.
    She settles back, and tilts her head a little, consdering.
    A stirring story, perhaps, although I consider it rather less stirring and rather more frustrating.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Jerren gives a small grin as people begin to seat them selves.
    Ill make sure the they tip, Madam.
    But you've peaked my interest, what is wrong with the brandy?

He looks around and finds the very odd group of people that have surrounded the table. "hmm... A Half orc, and a monk, a druid of the water, a paladin of Thor, and then the regular human woman."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Alright two ales for the lady, one after the other. She scratches twice on a small piece of wood with a small knife.

When asked about the brandy she just shrugs. It's just really bad. I think the boss was drunk or trading with a pretty lady when he bought it.

21. - Top - End - #21

Wave-Watcher

"Mystery man?" Wave-Watcher shakes his head at the talkative dwarf, "Wave-Watcher is my name, I have no other. If you do not mind miss," he looks up at the maid, "I would like to try your wine, if it has not suffered as the brandy has," a thought suddenly occurs to him, "If you do not mind then I could try a purification spell on the brandy, it may clear whatever is wrong with it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Offering to cast Purify Food and Drink on the brandy cask. It works on fluids other than water, right? Otherwise there aren't any Purify Other Fluids spells.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-08-17 at 11:20 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

[Seph]

Seph would ponder for a moment, taking into all the possibilities. Usually he wasn't such a drinker, but today he craved something that would bite back, but with elegance within it. "Got anything that the elves would normally drink? If so, I'll take that, if you would ma'am." He said with a bow. "And my companion would prefer... Something strong, Jull?"
    His attention then turned to he who was buying it all, and gave him a low bow. "What a deed you are doing. Are you sure you can afford this whole table?"
    Last edited by ZaneLaCoix; 2008-08-15 at 10:36 PM.
    Characters:

23. - Top - End - #23

Jull looks thoughtful as he decides what he would like to drink.

Hmm. I always sed, iffen it eats t'rough metal, it's 'k. Der brendy sounds gud den.

Oh yeh, fo'got rule numba for.

Smiling, he nods respectfully to the barmaid. He'd seen some of the clients they had to put up with on a regular basis in these sorts of towns, and had a faint suspicion that they were considerably tougher than him. In any case, he'd rather fight an Ogre horde than an angry barmaid.

T'anks, pretty lady.

Upon Sephs falling into the role of the spokesman, Jull looks content. He was quite content to let Seph do the talking, as long as he could be there to do the fighting.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Sure, sure, we got wines. For the brandy, well, take it up with the boss. What was that? Elves? We don't get many of them in here. Halfies sometimes. I like 'em, they're kinda cute, with the mopey hair and the pointy ears... anyway. I don't doubt that you can take the brandy. Okay, get on listening to your stories and I'll be back with your drinks and the orders of whoever your paying for. And with that she leaves, and the small crowd of hopeful storytellers crowd in.

25. - Top - End - #25

Wave-Watcher

Seeing that no one else is telling a tale Wave-Watcher coughs loudly to get attention.

"I do not normally do this... but I will give it a try."

He seems to compose something in his head for a moment before continuing.

"It was a long time ago, when I was still a youngling. I had signed onto a fishing trawler as a deckhand and as we got out into open water the seas began to surge around us. Everyone rushed about the ship to try and keep it from capsizing but I slipped and fell overboard.

From underneath the waves I could see a titanic battle happening below us. A giant squid had wrapped itself around a sperm whale. The whale was thrashing madly, trying to escape the clutches of the squid but the rubbery creature kept squeezing and stabbing with it's beak. Just before the blood mist obscured my vision I saw the squid look right at me with one of it's eyes.

I swam as quickly as I could up to the surface and managed to grab a line that was tossed overboard to me. The captain changed course to get as far away from the fight as possible but the blood seemed to follow us as we sailed away. The fight breached the surface and we heard the whale let out a scream of pain before the squid snapped it's spine. It sounded like a ship breaching on a rocky shore."

Wave-Watcher sits back.

"I hope that was entertaining."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Malvina

That was indeed an interesting tale, sir. I'm afraid mine is rather less entertaining...and rather more personal.
    She takes a sip of her drink.
    Let it be said that there are those who would like to see me dead...and I wish them dead still more, for they took away from be by deceit what was, and is, rightfully mine. And I very much intend to get it back, by whatever means necessary.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfClericGuy

"A classic battle indeed! Ne'er have I fought a beast o' that size! We're lucky that y'er wit' us today!"

To Mal
    "Milady, I shall personally guarantee yer safety here. Death will not take yee tonight!"

Zordek Dreadhammer
    - Charisma is not a dump stat

28. - Top - End - #28

[Seph]

"Malvania, I too promise that no one will succeed whilst we are around. I see many promising souls who would save a person in need without a second thought--please correct me if I am wrong." He said with a bow "But, I personally have no tails to weave, but perhaps... Jull do you?" He lead a rather boring life up 'til now. However, Jull and he had not been friends for long, perhaps he had some stories he had some to share that he did not get the chance on the ship--or would like to repeat some which he had already heard.
    Characters:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Malvina lifts her glass in salute. Thank you, good sirs. I believe I am quite capable of taking care of myself of course, however it is very much appreciated.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30

Emadgar, after some quiet pondering, takes a breath.

Dere aint too many tale-worvy fings dat have happened to me, I bin in lotsa battles, lotsa fights. Hmm. Dere was one time...

Once, when I were still roamin' der seas as a protyjay... Protaj... Stoodent of an old cap'n friend of mine, we 'ad der bad luck to come across a patrol of der rival corsairs.

We weren' doin' too well at der time, bin inna coupla bad fights. Now, we 'ad a ver' nicely made catapault on dat ship, der cap'ns pride an' joy which we used ta get a few shots in 'fore we got ta boardin' range, 'cos we was more of a fightin' crew than a shootin' crew. But we was outta der ammo's fer it. We was used to fightin' wid it, helped us soften up der targets. So, der cap'n says dat we runs away, an lives to fight 'nother day, like. An dat sits fine wid most o' us, as we likes breathin', and we can see's der ballisters 'n catapults on dat ship on der side from dere, dey be so big.

So we makes wid der runnin', but, see, der corsairs, dey be fasta, 'cos dey be built for speeds. So; we's runnin', and we see der enemy be gainin' on us, so we be gettin' worrieds. We be fink'in, "Maybe dis be der end, rights?", but der keptain, he gots his finkin' face on, der face wot he gets when he be finkin' real hard, and all of a sudden he says to me; "Jull, you be a loyal Man... Rights?", an' I says; "Yeh keptain, but so wot. I nots be a finkin' man, but I know you can'ts fire loyalty out of der catapults". And der Keptain, he smiles, and 'e says; "Jull, my boy, dere, you be wrongs".

Next t'ing I knows, I be flyin' 'cross der ocean fasta den any wizerds could. Landed right on tops of der enemy keptain, and, I reckon dat dey were pretty used to softenin' der enemies wid der side ballista's, 'cos dey wen' down fasta than wheat to a scyf, den.

I didn' get paid any extra for dat, neiver.

Jull smiles, his tale finished.