New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Photoshop

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Photoshop

So, I just started this Year's classes, and It turns out that my computer credit is actually Photoshop. I've already worked for an hour or two messing with layers, and have done a simple sketch of my facial features. I'm probably going to learn more in this class, but are there any other helpful hints those more experianced can give me?
    Silent Ninja in the feud&&&&Thanks to Ceika for the Avatar.&&&&Winner of Monster Mash #1&&&&9/13/06

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Photoshop

Histograms are your friend.

But they'll only be your friend after you learn what they are.

They're just jerks like that. ;)

Shadowy Goodness since 1892.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Death, your friend the Reaper View Post
    Now we head around under the cover of night looking for threads that will most likely be locked, directing people to the new members thread, and fighting crime.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Histo-whats? ::)

I've been working with Photoshop a bit. Mostly photo editing but I've also designed something for a CD cover, though that was mostly cleaning up my scanned image and adding colors. Mmm.. I love layers.

I don't know if I have an 'hints' but if you've got questions..

My goal for this year is to learn it better and really try making something more.. advanced.

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Yeah, I don't know histograms either. Well, to me, layers are your friends. Do a different on for each different part so that if you don't like something, you don't have to scrap much, just redo that little part you don't like. ;)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

http://www.Worth1000.com

Just head over to the forums (if you can resist looking at the most recent contests). Best place ever for photoshop fun and learning.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Histograms are indeed your friends. But not as much as actions will be if you intend to mass tone a stack of photos. :P

Use levels at first and look at the histogram (the jagged thingy in the levels palette) and bring your black and white points inward to where the histogram begins to climb upwards. Watch your image on screen though to ensure you don't go too far. This keeps your images from looking washed out.

Curves are also your friend.
    ALWAYS tone in RGB. Can't stress that enough. Convert to cmyk only near the end. Much less lossy.

Unsharp mask to pop the edges. Don't go too far or you will end up with halos around images.

For good skintones: Look at the ink densities up in the Info palette. Too much cyan can make faces look ashen. You want to shoot for a good proportion, given the ethnicity/skin color of the subject. Exact "correct" measurements vary depending on who you ask. Find what works for you. But definitely rely on the info palette vs what you see on screen. Especially if you are not working in a color calibrated workspace/station. At the very least make sur you have run the Adobe Gamma (or whatever they call it now...I forget) to calibrate your monitor if it isn't already.

And of course you can always impress others with your familiarity of the term: rasterization ;D

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh! I rock at Photoshop! (Apparently, anyway.) If you ask nicely, I'll show you the ins and outs sometime. ;-D

Also, Mercury has some tutorials if you're interested.

~Crystal

Mercury - A place to chill