New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Islands of Destiny [IC]

"Back in a moment" Norainu said before he left to search for his friend

GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Arkturus

As Nocturn spits on the ground in front of him, Arkturus eyes him coldly. Who does he think he is? He lets the matter go and decides to walk towards the scene to check on the 'materials' that are trying to intervene. The scene proceeds rapidly as the fight comes to a conclusion and the guard is consequently stabbed. There's a bit of a panic and several other people come to the guard's help, including the other Elf from before.

Arkturus simply moves towards the commotion, and when he sees the beggar, his eyes simply describe him as poor merchandise, he looks over the humans however, and it seems like there's a glimmer of hope in those ones. He walks towards the beggar and gives him a copper piece. His keen violet eyes focusing on Daniel before making a sideway shift to the old skinny man, appraising what the man could possibly achieve in his state, and how much it would cost to get him back on his feet.

"Hey now, I -do- wonder about that too."

After he lets the beggar give his talk or give them a bit of insight on the situation, if any, he turns to Daniel.

"Well met, my name is Arkturus. Say, where would you come from, I've rarely seen humans that grow tall like you. The lot of them are squat and terrible athletes, from what I've gathered of the specimens I've seen."
    His appraising eye stops suddenly and the High Elf smiles. "No offense meant of course. What was your name?"
    A Revenant

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowing what the beggar said about the assailant would make Daniel's response so much easier to decide...

Daniel gets up from the fountain, trying to hide his annoyance at the interruption. This newcomer... something unsettles him about the elf, and it isn't just the eyes. "Carries himself like a bawder. Too richly dressed to be one. Weapons, armor... and eyeing me like he'd a piece of meat."

"The name is Daniel," he speaks softly.

4. - Top - End - #34

"Daniel, eh? Pleased to meet you."

The Elf pauses, and after a moment of hesitation, his face showing nothing but friendliness, he extends a hand to the Human. The appraising eye seems gone, yet the smile remains, a half moon smile with words hidden behind closed lips. This human... not a bad mind either. But probably... looks like he knows what he's doing. Wouldn't be easy to break or subdue. Let's see if I can maybe keep him around. The eyes become sweet as honey as he grins.

"Seeing from your looks, and who you're going to for information, I'd say you know what you're doing and how to deal in the streets. Valuable insights."

The elf pauses, his head shifts sideways slightly, his eyes gazing across the different people in the streets as if somewhat wary. He looks back towards Daniel and smiles.

"The streets aren't too safe these days are they. Though you strike me as the type that'd have what it takes to keep things under control. What are you here in Varannó for? Business?"
    A Revenant

5. - Top - End - #35

"What's his like want with my like? Don't suppose... He don't look the type that's int-" Daniel assumes a neutral expression, shaking the elf's hand. "Just asked the important question yourself. No wild guessing. Look for the answer."

"Just passing through," he shakes his head. "Yourself?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Nocturn treats the guard's wound in his small shop, and the man seems to be out of risk. He sleeps peacefully on the bed, as if he was dreaming. Nocturn and Aryil wait for Norainu to find his bag, sitting idly on the shop.

Norainu went out of the shop running, searching for his friend. As soon as he left and gave a few running steps downstreet, he sighted his friend in the distance. The bard, worried about Norainu, went running after him in the middle of the confusion. He nows runs towards Norainu again, both Norainu's and his bag on his back, and hugs his friend - "Dammit Norainu, don't pull that on me, running like a madman. Something reaaaally bad could've happened." - The bard returns Norainu's bag to him.

Daniel, trusting his experience, went over to the beggar, trying to get some information. As he did so, two men closed in, listening to the conversation. Aston, partly hidden among the other people, but paying attention to what the beggar said, and Arkturus, who walked right to the side of Daniel.

"Yea, yea, trouble for everyone. This cloaked man, no good, no good. Saw him some times already, doing shady work, yea. Too bad for the guardsman, didn't mess with the right person, no."
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

7. - Top - End - #37

Daniel, doing his best to conceal his excitement at finding someone so useful, drops another coin into the beggar's hand.

"Reckon you'd know who'd know where to find the man, would you?"

8. - Top - End - #38

Arkturus

"Me? Oh, simply shopping around. I study magic, you see. The Arcane type, if you must know. So you're just here visiting?" The Elf smiles and is about to continue when the beggar speaks up and shares a piece of his mind. Daniel seems quick to pick up on the information, the elf simply raises a surprised eyebrow. Quick-witted humans were a very rare treat indeed.

"Shady work? Some sort of thieves guild, you'd say?"
    A Revenant

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

"Thieve's guild, I really dunno. Never saw the man with someone like him, no. He's always alone, yea, only meets with the people who pay him. I followed him once, yea. I guess he didn't kill me because he thought I was useless. I followed him to a house near here, on the city, yea. For you good fellows, I can show the place if you want."

10. - Top - End - #40

Arkturus

"I'd be willing to pay the man a visit indeed, or at least, start investigating there. Who knows, there might be something valuable there... for the city guard, I mean. To find him, of course." And he turns to Daniel. "Wouldn't you say the man merits a proper punishment to atone for his crime against the city guard? Because I have just the thing..." And with that the Elf gives a smirk and his hand taps the side of his belt.
    A Revenant

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Nocturn

Nocturn, thoroughly bored of waiting for the Dark Elf, attempts to strike a conversation with the Wood Elf, "I have not seen a Wood Elf in Varanno for twenty years. What brings you to this wretched city?"
    Last edited by Manthus; 2008-08-16 at 10:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

"Yes, take us there," Daniel says to the beggar. He turns to Arkturus, picking the next words he'll say with care.

"Finding the swordsman - that comes first. What to do with him depends on circumstance." Daniel turns towards the beggar again, extending his hand. "Here, neighbor, let me help you up."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing that some progress was to be made, Aston quickly moves into a nearby alley, changes back into his regular attire, and hopes that he has returned in time to follow the group.

Spoiler
    Show

How fast do you want Aston's changing to be?
    Had I the cloths of heaven,
    I would spread these at your feet.
    But I am poor, and have only my dreams
    and I spread these beneath your feet.
    Tread softly, for you tread upon my dreams

Thanks to The_Squid for a perfect representation of my awesome scimitar/Town character, Deepsear!
    Awesome Agent 47 by Dr. Bath!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

The beggar accepts Daniel's hand, getting to his feet. He starts walking towards a small street near the plaza - "It's pretty close, yes, we'll take no time to get there.". Aston quickly changes his clothings, and follows the group from behind.

Meanwhile, Norainu retrieves his bag from his bardic friend, telling him that there was no real danger, trying to calm him down. The wounded guardsman and the two elves are still inside the herbalist store; the decision to go back and pay the herbalist or to just leave them there lies on your hand.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

Aryil turns to Nocturn. "Eh, really I'm just passing through. I'm on trying to get some information, but nobody seems to have the answers to my questions." He runs a finger idly along his scar. "I really hope he comes back, I wasn't kidding when I said I was broke..."
    Please clicky:

Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:
    Aryil in Islands of Destiny
    Kirik the Traveller in The Dark Roots of True Evil
    Rune, Warforged Cleric in Crime and Punishment

Knight of Jerusalem by Nevitan

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Thinking to himself that it would be easyer to not return back but then he would be the same as before and he knows the result of which, so he decides to come back with what little he has and says to the bard:"Well, follow me i just have to do something before we find a or tavern or an inn" He tells to his friend. After some while they arrive where the high and wood-elf are with his friend and his bag, Norainu gives what few silver he has to the high-elf
    Last edited by Kanji; 2008-08-16 at 06:16 PM.

GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

17. - Top - End - #47

Arkturus

The elven eyes look on Daniel. Is he telling me what to do? Swallowing up this minor annoyance, Arkturus simply smirks. "Of course. No sense in rushing." As he says that, the elven eyes are still wary, looking there and back in case anyone would follow, he even occasionally stops in his tracks to try and hear if there's any other footsteps behind them.

His hand always seems to be on the hilt of his short sword at his side, ready to draw.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-08-17 at 12:32 AM.
    A Revenant

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

Seeing the Dark Elf return, Aryil stands up quickly. When he sees the silver exchange hands, a smile comes across his face. He then turns to Nocturn. "Now, which way to the nearest infirmary or guard post?"
    Please clicky:

Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:
    Aryil in Islands of Destiny
    Kirik the Traveller in The Dark Roots of True Evil
    Rune, Warforged Cleric in Crime and Punishment

Knight of Jerusalem by Nevitan

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

"There is a guard post nearby. Follow the alleyway across the street, and you will come to its western wall. Follow it left and turn right on that street. The entrance is there. Hopefully you can understand that I cannot come with you to the post. I have no time to answer questions. I have business to attend to at the crime scene. I can tell our paths will cross again." At this Nocturn grabs his cane and begins a steady stride towards the market square, taking the bag of silver coins with him.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Deciding to make a move, Ash walks closer to Dan, and taps him on the shoulder, saying simply

"Excuse me. May I speak to you for a moment?"

Thanks to The_Squid for a perfect representation of my awesome scimitar/Town character, Deepsear!

21. - Top - End - #51

"What in the..." One part of Daniel's mind somewhere ahead of him, making and discarding plans, the other following and demanding to know what in the blazes he is doing getting himself involved in all this, he only snaps out of his thoughts feeling the man's hand on his shoulder.

"What is it?" he forces himself to retain a calm tone, taking time to examine the new arrival.

"Out of practice, Daniel. Won't do. If he wanted to stick one in you... 'Nother reason you should leave be."

Spoiler
    Show
    Also: Dan?
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2008-08-20 at 02:59 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Arkturus

The Elf spares a look towards Ash, his violet eyes staring at the man for a moment. Humans... they're like cockroaches, they just attract each other.

His cold eye seemingly tones down and becomes warmer, the elf turning around and smiling.

"I'm all for talking, but let's not stop on the way. We can talk as we get there, as I'm sure the sir here knows perfectly well, giving he allows himself to interrupt our query."

The elf will then continue walking besides both men and listen in on the conversation.
    A Revenant

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ash walks alongside Daniel and introduces himself.

"I have been listening to you and your elderly companion for a while here."

He leans in closer. He had thought about this risky business, and it was either the best or worst mistake he was going to make.

"If you are going to hunt down the man who stabbed that guard, I think you might need some help. If you will not spread it about, I am the cloaked man who grabbed the murderer. Which means I, too, have an interest in bringing that man to justice."

Ash straightens back up to his tallish height, and says a little less quietly,

"I am joining you. We will find this murderer, and exact rightful retribution."

He eyes everyone in the group over.

"No matter what."

24. - Top - End - #54

Daniel gives the new arrival a long look. His expression seems to waver somewhere between amusement and apprehension, finally settling on resignation.

"What should we call you?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ash chews this over for a few moments as they walk. He then decides to use his alter ego's title.

"You may call me Aston. And, what should I call you?"

26. - Top - End - #56

Daniel nods. "Call me Daniel."

He walks silently for some time. "Don't reckon you know something 'bout this area?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

A corner of Ash's mouth comes up slightly.

"I have a very active night life. All over the city. I know a few things. All looks different in the day."

Ash looks around, to try and see where they might be headed, if he recognizes it.

"Need to know anything in particular?"

28. - Top - End - #58

"That we won't go stepping on toes, upsetting business, crossing hoods. Whether this isn't a place of sensitive people with sharp knives." Daniel lets his eyes slide over people they pass, looking for those watching them back. "Fighting one skilled man is enough. Fighting dozens..." He leaves the sentence hanging.
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2008-08-20 at 01:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ash's eyes narrow.

"I'm afraid that we might be stepping on toes. I know... From personal experience. But if we keep a low profile, we shouldn't mire ourselves too deeply in anything."

30. - Top - End - #60

"Bad enough before, even worse now. Going in blind like that - might as well slit my own throat." He allows himself a small sigh. "You say low profile?" he looks at Arkturus in his bright red scale.