New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure in Eberron: The Paradox Wars

Rabina

::So-so-so-not invincible not immovable, can be hurt[!] And mine as well Should Hurt::

Rabina strides forward, implacably, and sends out another juddering wave of force, accompanied by a psychic howl like the ravening cries of a few thousand wolves.

Spoiler
    Show

Second verse, same as the first; twenty feet straight onwards, Control Body. Fail your #$(*@#$(* save this time, invincidragon.

2. - Top - End - #32

Gahz

Gahz moves closer yet. When he comes to a halt, beams of fiery-red light erupt from his eyes, and a tiny blue spark - almost unnoticeable - that had been hovering around him became a powerful beam of blue fire.

He finishes with a Giant Vermin spell, summoning into being a Gargantuan Scorpion to aid them.

Spoiler
    Show

Fiery vision: two beams of (4d6)[9] and (4d6)[14]
    Holy star ranged touch attack: (1d20+18)[33] (Damage: (9d6)[27])

Both are fire damage.

Gargantuan Scorpion appears below and a little to the left of Vaasth.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-08-20 at 06:19 PM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Once more, Rabina attempts to yoke the beast to her will, and once more it rebuffs her efforts. She can sense a great strength within the beast, greater than she thinks she could easily master.

The beast turns its attentions to Vaajek, seeking reparations for its wound. As it turns on the swordsman, the wound in its side begins to close, seemingly healing within seconds. Though the wound does not fully close, a thick layer of scabs forms over it, and the beast seems much less hampered by it. The beast brings its full might to bear against Vaajek. First it lashes out with its tail, revealing a sharp, barbed stinger that pierces through Vaajek's armor and flesh, then it slaps at him with its tail's massive bulk. Then it lashes out with its claws, battering Vaajek as easily as if he were a child's doll. Then it drops down, its head level with the swordsman's body, and gores him on its twisting horns, shattering bones and tearing muscle, and causing blood to flow freely from Vaajek's mouth (100 damage, not counting damage reduction).

Considering its work done, it then turns on the transformed Drann, eying the flying, flame-wreathed humanoid with amusement. With its powerful jaws, it lashes out, its fang cutting through the champion like adamantine scimitars. Drann can feel necrotic virulence tainting his body, but an inner strength wells up within him, shielding him from the baleful power of the beast's bite - a boon granted to him by Gahz's abjuration. However, even Gahz's mighty spell cannot stop the beast from clutching Drann in his jaws, putting him perilously close to being swallowed. (35 damage, not counting damage reduction. Drann is now grappled).

Gahz lets loose with a volley of flames, but the beast seems unharmed by any fire, even the fiercest a mage could call up. However, the scorpion he summons up seems like it might prove a match for even a beast as fearsome as the tower monster.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Drann's Turn...will have to wait until Mythweavers is back up.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Bloodied, but not shaken, Drann takes advantage of his position, clutched between the beast's jaws, to let loose a volley of blows, pounding on the monster's weak, unprotected mouth. His battering successfully shatters the beast's soft palate, leaving its jaws gaping comically askew.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Vaajek's Turn
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Vaasth takes a slightly more defensive stance, his hand clutched around nothing, like a vicious talon as small arcs of electricity crackle between his claws and up his arm. "Vakraa!!" He cries his abyssal battle-cry as he swings his arm forward and an arc of lightning fires from his flung arm to the body of the beast, it cracks the air for a split second as it collides with it and burns the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't need to roll for defensive casting. Using my chain lightning SLA.
    CL check for SR: (1d20+18)[34]
    Electricity damage: (18d6)[61] DC 26 Ref save for half.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek's bolt of lightning heads unerringly towards the brute, but it managaes to duck the worst of the bolt, its side only glancingly singed. Nonetheless, the shocking current that runs through its animated body manages to throw the beast into painful, erratic spasms.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Mahogany's Turn

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Mahogany seems to be having the time of his life as he watches the battle raptly, though jumps back a bit as the giant scorpion suddenly makes it's appearance.

He shields his eyes as the lightening bolts crackle through the area, peering hard at the nightmarish beast under attack, lest he miss a single moment.

"Fry it up good, lad. Like mine sunny side up!" he calls to Vaajekk with a broad grin.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-08-20 at 07:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

A bubble of violet light, ephemeral as that of the aurora forms around the beast, and begins to contract around it. As it does, the monster seems to shrink, becoming younger and younger in shape, diminishing greatly in stature. Its serpentine body shifts, taking on a reptilian, bipedal stance, its tail shrinking and losing its stinger. And that is not the only change: the beast is brought back to life from its state of undeath, its necrotic flesh taking on a vibrant orange hue. As the violet fades, what is left seems a much weakened, juvenile form of the monster you were just facing.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the mother of all debuffs.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Sinan's Turn

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

A befuddled Sinan stares down at the beast with increasing frustration as it shrugs off his most recent spell.

Well, actually, his most recent spell is still gently dissolving away its flesh, but it shrugged off all the others. In fact, he notices, that spell is also gently dissolving some of what, he supposes, are his erstwhile companions. He should probably do something about that.

Sinan swoops downwards-ish, wafting back and forth to make himself harder to hi. He halts himself just outside the creature's jaws, experiences an amusing moment of deja vu, and stretches in to grasp whatever part of the silvery fiery fellow is most easily reachable. "Come along, we'll soon have you out of this, eh?" he says cheerily, to let the fellow know to accept the spell.

And indeed, the pair of them (assuming Drann is willing) vanishes and reappears a good fifty feet away. Sinan tosses a quick wave backward, and things stream upward out of the fog around the creature. The creatures resemble some kind of insect, each one as long as a person is tall, but made from shards of masonry, as if they had been torn from the stone of the tower beneath the beast's feet. Mandibles of jagged stone and stings formed from slivers of metal make them look quite threatening, and worst of all, the things emit a terribly loud buzz and a weird static warbling, like some hunting cry never heard on Khorvaire before. They hover menacingly about the creature, darting and feinting with incredible speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drann is receiving the benefit of a Teleport spell, should he choose to accept it.

Tumble to avoid attacks of opportunity is an autosuccess.

Fog deals (3d6)[11] damage.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Sinan and Drann teleport away from the now-diminished beast to a place of safety. Meanwhile, he summons a swarm of what seem to be stone insects, a legion of monsters that seem to arise from the tower itself. The whirr and click in an eerie, cicada-like symphony of menace as they move towards the monster.

For Mahogany
    Spoiler
    Show

You recognize the stone insects for what they truly are: an illusion. Sinan has not summoned them, but merely devised a mass illusion to fool the beast.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Rabina's Turn

11. - Top - End - #41

Rabina

::Not so great:Not so large:Not so potent:Not so dead:::But does not death come even unto the poor man's cottage and the palaces of kingsoh sweet one for youYES.[!][!]::

The cloud of oily darkness that is Rabina surges forward and flicks forth a tendril of bleak color; arcing along it are warped, illusory versions of the beast, in its current form, a fully human one with laughing eyes, its massive form...and at least a few that lie motionless, bleeding from gaping wounds. When it contacts the creature, the other visions collapse...

Spoiler
    Show

Move action, another twenty feet.
    Standard, manifesting Recall Death.
    DC to resist is 30, damage on successful save:
    (5d6)[17]

OOC: I just now realized why that darn Control Body kept failin'. CURSES!
    Maybe next round if it keeps healing itself, I'll fling its not-undead-not-collasal arse off a cliff. Like I meant to.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

The arc of possibility collapses onto the towering monster, revealing gaping wounds, unfolded from the depths of past and future. However, they are not the fatal wounds Rabina had sought to draw forth: painful and crippling, but not enough to lay the behemoth dead.

The monster lashes out at the nearest of Sinan's stone wasps, attacking it tooth and nail with everything it has. However, after its first blow misses, it halts, regarding the behemoth with an almost curious look. It tilts its head, stares at the stone creature for a few seconds, and then leaves, wandering off to face Vaajek. The stonelings in reach of it attack as it leaves, but their blows miss.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Gahz's Turn
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-08-20 at 10:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Gahz

Gahz shakes his head, unable to puzzle out the why's, how's and wherefore's of the purple light's effects.

Gahz's scorpion strikes with claws and sting, mindless of any danger inherent in the strange mist enveloping the beast.

Gahz shifts his form once more, this time assuming the form of an immense elephant, far bigger than even its natural cousins. Fifty tons of pachyderm stomps right over and past Mahogany without breaking stride, barrelling toward the monster like an out-of-control lightning rail, head lowered to present tusks that could put tree trunks to shame.

Spoiler
    Show

Scorpion attack:
    Claw: (1d20+21)[27]
    Damage: (2d6+10)[19]
    Claw: (1d20+21)[30]
    Damage: (2d6+10)[18]
    Sting: (1d20+16)[29]
    Damage: (2d6+5)[14]

If a claw strikes, improved grab ((1d20+37)[54]), ((OOC: Forgot Improved Grab only works on smaller creatures)) if the sting does it imparts a Fort DC 23 1d8 con poison (not that poison will probably hurt this thing).

Gahz becomes a Gargantuan-sized Behemoth (Str becomes 36, AC becomes 38, base land speed 50ft). As part of the shift, casting a free action Bull's Strength (Str now 42). I think I'm allowed to charge through an ally space if he's three sizes below me. If not, ignore this portion of the post and assume I just double-move to get in range.

Charge attack: (1d20+29)[39] +2 for the Bull's Strength
    Damage: (2d8+17)[30] +2 for the Bull's Strength
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-08-21 at 01:39 AM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

The giant scorpion manages to break through the beast's carapace with only one of its claws, its stinger and other claw rebuffed by the thick armored shell. That is all the leverage it needs to grapple the beast into submission, but its strength is no match for that of the beast, even in its shrunken state.

Gahz transforms into a behemoth pachyderm, and charges towards the beast. As he does, he finds that he can simply move through the stone insects summoned by Sinan - they offer him no resistance. He impacts with comet-like force, staggering the hulking monster.

As Gahz charges, Drann flies right beside him, ducking and weaving beneath the behemoth's legs. He flies up and through the cloud of acid, floating above the beast, his fists ablaze with silver fire.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Vaajek's Turn

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

He stopped for a moment, his eyes widened for but a moment, looking into the young eyes of the infant beast. His expression suddenly hardens, as if reverting to a different personality. He lifts his blade high, a torrent of ash swirling around it, and swings it down with unholy vigor. The screams of Shavralath come from it as it sails through the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiating Feed the Maw of Hell. Also some nasty side effects of my spirit weapon.
    Attack: (1d20+39)[58]
    Weapon Damage: (1d10+18)[27]
    Strike Damage: [roll]20d6 vile[/roll]
    If it hits it also takes 1 negative level, and poisoned(1d6 Str pri. and sec.) with a Fort save of 29.
    Poison damage: (1d6)[5] Str

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Crit Confirm: (1d20+39)[48]
    Let's do that Strike Damage agian: (20d6)[67]

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Mahogany looks up into the underside of great elephant as it passes over and looks down again quickly, averting his eyes.

"Go at it beastly fella, but mayhap keepin' some drawers around might be for the best!" he calls out.

He shakes his head, "Lands but that be a tough brute..."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek's wicked blow strikes with great force, tearing a vicious gash in the creature's underbelly, spilling blood and entrails all over Vaajek. However, that is but one stroke of the blade, and Vaajek knows his strike should have spread vile toxins through the beast's blood, and sapped at is life force, yet he feels certain that this has not happened. What does happen, however, is that the beast's flesh begins to crumble to dust around the wound, the disintegration deepening the gash - certainly nothing Vaajek had intended to do.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Sinan's Turn

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

The stone insect-creatures abruptly cease their threatening wail, as well as their attempts to dive-bomb the behemoth; they hover lazily in the air, as if suddenly bereft of motivation. Sinan, meanwhile, produces another spell, launching a tiny white streak from his finger; shortly after it passes over the creature's shoulder, it detonates with a hiss, bathing the creature's flank in an eerie white fire.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quickened True Casting to give +10 to overcome spell resistance, followed by an empowered Rimefire Holocaust, cast so that only the thing is in the area. Damage- (30d6)[111], half fire and half cold, Reflex half. CL check against spell resistance is +30, if needed.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

An eerie, white flame spreads through the air, enveloping the beast. While it seems the flames will once again do nothing to it, that is not what happens: instead, ice spreads where the flame is, able to harm the creature now that its flesh is living. Though the beast manages to duck the worst of the rimefire, it is still frostbitten and rimed by the blast.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Rabina's Turn

21. - Top - End - #51

Rabina

The maid of Dolurrh slowly brings her hands together, as if working against a massive resistance; around her, lashings of electric blue play with a strong odor of ozone. As her fingers meet, her head-sockets flare, sprouting ball lightning to race toward the foe.

::You are persisting, shouldn't be still, still here, not now! Not Right, This. Should Die.::

Her cloak of night falls for just a moment to reveal her standing, hands at her sides, resigned and weary, even as her missiles reach their target. Her lips part, move.

"Please; won't you stop? Won't you stop?"

Spoiler
    Show

Energy Missile, Lightning, Augmented by seven points. Reflex DC to resist 33 [Half Damage], +2 bonus vs. Power Resistance.
    Damage:
    (10d6)[42]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Rabina's cascade of electricity sears the monster's defenseless flesh, the lightning seeking a route straight to the beast's heart through its conducting smell. There is a hagard stench of singed flesh, and the beast wails in pain.

Blinded by agony, it lays into Vaajek with everything it has, not letting up for a moment. Its shrunken limbs, however, and the wounds they inflict on the warrior are practically mere scratches compared to its former strength. However, it still has enough power in its jaws to snag Vaajek, lifting him up in its maw (49 damage, Vaajek is now grappled).

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Gahz's Turn

23. - Top - End - #53

Gahz

Recognizing that his fiery gaze is useless against this beast, Gahz lets out a challenging trumpet and lashes out with first his mighty tusks, then momentarily going up on his hind legs and attacking with his forelegs to bring his weight and size into play.

His scorpion continues to tear at the monster with claws and stinger.

Spoiler
    Show

Gahz:
    Gore: (1d20+32)[41]
    Damage: (2d8+15)[24]
    Stomp: (1d20+32)[52]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[17]
    Stomp: (1d20+32)[49]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[18]

Scorpion attack:
    Claw: (1d20+21)[23]
    Damage: [roll]2d6+10/roll]
    Claw: (1d20+21)[32]
    Damage: [roll]2d6+10/roll]
    Sting: (1d20+16)[36]
    Damage: (2d6+5)[10]

If a claw strikes, improved grab (1d20+37)[51]

Holy Star switches back to +6 AC mode, AC goes up to 44.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Spoiler
    Show

Argh. Too many attack rolls.

Damage for the scorpion's attacks:
    (2d6+10)[20] for the first claw and (2d6+10)[21] for the second.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

Spoiler
    Show

Do we have a dice roller thread? This is getting out of hand.

The critical threat for the second stomp: (1d20+32)[40]

And the one for the scorpion's sting: (1d20+16)[17]

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

The kajubaan roars in anger as he's ripped from his place in mid-air by the creature's jaws. He closes his eyes and effortlessly concentrates as he clutches his claw as he did before, it again crackling with vicious electricity. He stabs his claw into the roof of the monster's mouth and unloads the electrical energy from his arm and into the brain of the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another auto-Concentration, using my second of three chain lightning spell-like abilities.

Chain Lightning: (18d6)[59]

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Gahz and his summoned scorpion work in concert to take down the beast. Gahz rears up and crushes it beneath his feet, and there is an audible cracking of bone as he stamps down. The scorpion graps the thing's foreclaws with its pincer and jabs its stinger right between its eyes, wounding the monster painfully. With a roar, it breaks free from the scorpion's hold.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Drann's Turn

28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground

From the few moments of respite that The Guardian can get while dodging the beast, he is sill, as if preparing for something. Suddenly, from that stillness, an explosion of fire and physical might rains down upon the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating two of my grafts, dealing in a burst (1d6)[5] fire damage (DC 22 ref negates)

Burning Fist (1d20+31)[36]
    Burning Fist (1d20+26)[38]
    Burning Fist (1d20+21)[31]
    Burning Fist (1d20+16)[23]

Burning Fist (2d6+13)[19]+(1d6)[2] fire
    Burning Fist (2d6+13)[21]+(1d6)[6] fire
    Burning Fist (2d6+13)[23]+(1d6)[6] fire
    Burning Fist (2d6+13)[16]+(1d6)[3] fire

*fists are magic and adamantine
    Last edited by Ellas Aramond; 2008-08-23 at 12:59 PM.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

The Silver Guardian's flaming fists cannot burn the beast, but the force of his blows still pummels down on it. It recoils in pain, only to be met with a bolt of lightning fired down its throat by Vaajek, searing its innards. The wafting smell of its roasted organs is overpowering, and its wails are deafening.

Initiative
    1. Drann
    2. Vaajekk
    3. Mahogany
    4. Sinan
    5. Rabina
    6. Tower Monster
    7. Gahz

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Mahogany's Turn

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

"RAWWWR GRRROCH BRRBRHHH PARRBRRRRRRR R RRR RR KLAWWRR?" Mahogany calls out, and then rubs his throat with a wince.