New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure in Eberron: The Paradox Wars

"We could leave this, you mean?" Chesley asks, hopefully. "We could just...go back before this ever happened, and just have everything go back to normal? Do you know how to work this, or is it like an airship, where only a 'mark can?"
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

The kajubaan walks past the 'Sanctuary' room, immediately being taken aback, sneering and walking past it quickly. He circled the center altar and decided to walk toward the 'Null' room, reaching a claw out and opening it and looking inside.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

"Ah, might we back up a second—are you saying that this artifact is actually a vehicle for transversing time?" Sinan removes his spectacles, polishing them with the sleeve of his robe as he stares at Mahogany in some astonishment.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

As Vaajek looks into the Null Room, he sees nothing. The room's walls are pure white, without any pattern or play of light and shadow on them. The room is at least as large as the Sanctuary, but utterly without anything. There is not so much as a speck of dust within it. It is empty and forever, a boundless nothingness as far as Vaajek can tell.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

His mouth open slightly, Vaajek walks in slowly, looking around at all the nothingness. He takes a deep breath and sits down, using techniques from previous lives to enhance the new, he meditates to expand his internal chaos.

"...Kaaz'e moll."

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

"I'd bet my boots and bunions!" Mahogany says with a grin. "Can't answer the lass' question about how t'get it going. I just know the tales. Ken tell a dozen stories 'bout one of them flyin' ships as we came on, but bless me if I know how they work. We got us some mighty learned and powerful folk in here I'm thinkin' though. Daresay they could get it a'goin'. Worse comes to worse we give it a kick, eh?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

Sinan's eyes gleam with excitement as he replaces his spectacles. "Indeed, indeed. Why, if you're correct, this may be the most important discovery since... well... I don't know," he finishes, "but if we can get it working we can go find out!" He promptly begins going through the central chamber, looking over the various panels (including the ones in the air) to see what uses they might have, and if one of them might not be the key.

Spoiler
    Show
    Checks that might be appropriate: Search +31, Knowledge (arcana) +29, Spellcraft +31
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-08-28 at 08:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Sinan almost immediately recognizes what look to be the two most important panels. One displays a complete map of Eberron laid out on a grid, with a small, luminous pinpoint hovering above Sharn. The other one displays what looks to be the date - the year, the month, the day, and the minute - using the Galifar calendar as well as the Old Sarlonan Reckoning, along with a third calendar he cannot recognize. There are no obvious physical controls for any of the panels, but the same glyphs and runes that covered the orb's exterior can be seen floating in them.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rabina continues moving through the chamber, touching everything- a gesture that would leave tiny scratches on anything less durable than darkwood and mithral. Her eyes are wide, though invisible, and her silvery lamprey-shadows appear to be singing delightedly.

She opens one of the seven doors at random- whichever appears most appealing. All the while, her head is tilted as if listening intently.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+34)[45] Whispers Listen check, Knowledge: All.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

After only a few minutes the door to the Null room slams back open with Vaajek panting and gritting his teeth staggering back out. What a demon seeks is destruction, but the end result is something a demon can barely stand; nothing.

He comes back into the center to see the people at the control panel and approaches, getting more calm now that he's surrounded by existence. "What does this vessel do...?" He peers at all the nodes and devices on the panels. He looks up when he examines the map and the dates on the panel Sinan is examining, "Temporal travel?"
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-08-28 at 10:40 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Behind the door, Rabina sees a high bed, with sheets of elegant Riedran silk and piles upon piles of pillows. The bed's frame is of darkwood, and a lacy veil hangs from four posts set at the bed's corners. Beside the bed there is a large wardrobe and a writing desk, stacked high with paper and quills. Tapestries on the walls depict, in fluid abstract imagery, what she recognizes as the story of Dal Quor: the war between the ancient quori and the giants of Xen'drik; the Turning of the Wheel; the Inspiration of Riedra and the birth of the Kalashtar; the death of Taratai the noble. The tapestry ends depicting the birth of a young Kalashtar girl, with burning eyes.

12. - Top - End - #132

::Who, who [?] Oh, wonderful, to know to see to write [!] This is for me[!] This is for me. What has it done, how does it know, what is this [?]I must read, I must learn, I must have...who is this long-gone one, who this strange ending [?]::

She twirls her way out of the room and back toward the main chamber and the others; the scrivener, however, stays, inspecting the parchments and quills and comparing them to its internal equippage with what must be presumed to be a critical eye.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

"Yes, so it seems," Sinan says, not looking up. "I wonder, I wonder... Are the dating systems a clue to who made it and when it was made? It certainly doesn't seem as if giants would have recorded dates by this calendar. But perhaps the numbers change to adapt to when the ship has landed..." he muses, fingers poised over the glyphs.

"Now then, how did you get the door to open?" he asks, and touches the panel without waiting for an answer, attempting to move the year reading some 4,000 years back.

Spoiler
    Show
    If it works and he can manage any control, he'll aim for -3,300 YK!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

As Sinan touches the panels, there is a spark of violet, leaping from the crystal to his fingers. Suddenly, he feels as if he has gained a new limb, able to direct the course of this Yestereve Ship just as he could control the motion of his hand. With an effortless push of the mind, he changes the date to -3300 Y.K . (or Duokalens of the Fifth Era, S.R.; or ∑[ø]∂~!, R.C, whatever that is). There is a flash of violet that pulsates through the ship in a throbbing pattern, rising in intensity to a feverish strobing and then slowing and fading. Once the pulsing of lights has finished, the ship seems unchanged, the only difference being the crystal set at the top of the controls. While it once shone like a beacon, it is now faded, barely more luminous than a candlewick.

For Sinan
    Spoiler
    Show

Where did you set the ship's location? Did you just leave it where Sharn would be?
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-08-28 at 11:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

He looks down at Sinan's hand and then back up at his face, unsure if it's idiocy or sheer uncanniness, but considering the situation, probably the former. "...I just put my hand on it."

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

Noticing the look—or perhaps just soliloquizing—Sinan rhapsodizes in grand tones, "Ah, to sail upon the seas of time and harness the winds of seasons! And all manner of other delightful nautical metaphors! What I do now is, perhaps, reckless, but it would take a stronger resolve than I possess to—having come this far!—step back from the brink! Ah, here we are," he continues in a more normal voice. "Sharn, or more precisely Duur'shaarat."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, still the Sharn area.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-08-28 at 11:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek walks toward the door he entered the ship originally, putting his hand on the door or simply pushing it open or whatever needs to be done to open it, and looked out.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Responding to Vaajek's very will to exit, the sphere once again irises open, creating a gate to the outside. The space at the edge of the door, stretched to the point of breaking, hurts your eyes if you look at it, causing a slight sense of nausea and a mild migraine. Outside, the sun is shining, and the ship is once again perched amid a nest of ruins. These, however, are different. They are not the charred husk of a just-burned city, but the stately ruins of an ancient city, now fallen. Marble pillars jut at haphazard angles, and statues of hobgoblin warriors litter the ruinscape.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-08-28 at 11:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

At the moment of transport, Rabina collapses, staggering- then rises again, brushes her hair back, grimaces at its greasy consistency, and directs her mind effortlessly to Sinan.

::What the hell did you just do? Do you have any idea what kind of disrupWHEREWHEN DISJOINED PAINtion you could have caused?::

She staggers again, then recovers. This time she makes no gesture that indicates she is aware of her physical body, much less the condition of her hair, at all. Her mental voice is now radiating blissfully in every direction at once again.

::Oh beautiful sweet place[!] Oh wonderful, wonderful; peeled away again as the skin as the scale as the carapace was, and beneath the sweet the blue the black the crimson of the years[!] this the strong pale egg of the lost ones the hurting ones the pale dreamers with their limbs that hold and hurt andbetray betray hatekiss with soft slow cuttings[.] That we KNEW so well and held and labored oh the great burden the slow thing[?]::
    Last edited by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick; 2008-08-29 at 12:05 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Gahz

Gahz breathes in deep, taking in air tinged with the scent of rain. Lovely. He'll have to spend more time in this room when they'd better figured out this artifact.

Stepping back into the central room, he looks about. "What did I miss?" He looks outside the open iris, staring about. Statues of hobgoblins littering the landscape stare back at him.

It was sheer willpower - hung onto by his fingertips - that kept him from running, screaming, back into the ship in the face of pure unbelievability. "... This.. is different."
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

"Quite," Sinan agrees with Rabina, although it's not really clear what he is agreeing with. Possibly, he isn't entirely paying attention. Prudently, he has lifted his hand from the control glyphs while the door is open, not wanting to find out what might happen if he accidentally shifted them while the chamber wasn't sealed. His gaze is rapt on the exit and the fallen buildings beyond it; not fallen towers, not yet. This is not the City of Towers, it is the Bright Blade of the ancient hobgobins, carved from the bedrock.

"Quite. Welcome, my dear sir," he adds to Gahz, "to the year negative three thousand three hundred since the founding of Galifar, twelfth of Dravago, at what looks like about three o'clock in the afternoon."
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-08-29 at 12:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

He steps out onto the ancient earth, the sound of the unworked ground beneath his bare feet. He stared out at the ruins, the statues and at the horizon. He then looked back at the small ship and anyone he can see in the doorway, he then spoke to them through his telepathy as to reach everyone, Words do not describe... the power of the magic, the wonder and nature... above nature... It is... almighty. The look on his face is as hard to describe, it doesn't seem his normal rage-filled self, though his features always carry a bit of his internal rage.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-08-29 at 12:40 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143

Gahz

"Incredible," he repeated, a bit dazed. "I know a trick or two with time, but this makes even a Time Stop spell seem like an apprentice magician's first fumble-fingered grasp towards magic."

Gahz shakes his head and steps out of the crystalline ship, joining Vaajekk on the Eberron of thousands of years past.

The bizarre nature of their trip had taken a backseat before the wonder of what they'd gotten their hands on. Exploration had always been a passion of his - he'd spent years travelling back and forth across the face of Eberron - but with this, the possibilities truly seemed endless. All of space and time were at their fingertips, now.

He was feeling as giddy as a little schoolmage!

"I confess I know almost nothing of this time period. Feel like doing a little exploring? Sharn will still be there when we return." Truth be told, he was not in a hurry to discover the horrors that had befallen Sharn, particularly by dropping themselves and their new ship right into the midst of it.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

He begins walking toward the ruins, sword still in hand and staying aware of his surroundings. He looked onward most of all, the most massive of ruins and the statues scattered about becoming some of of a long, twisted path. Once he is followed he begins flying upward to see more distantly.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

Rabina walks out of the ship with a slight, almost inaudible sigh, and leans forward, scratching her claws against the ground.

A close observation reveals the scratches slowly resolving themselves into lips, and an even closer listen reveals them whispering...she keeps one hand to the ground, the other on the crystalline sphere.

Spoiler
    Show

Manifesting sensitivity on the ruins, and object reading on the crystal sphere. No great hopes for the latter.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Banned

Mahogany puts a hand to his stomach as if feeling the actual shift. He swallows and begins looking better as the door opens.

"Lands... it worked! IT WORKED! HAHA!" he hoots, and claps Sinan on the shoulder. He does a little jig right there on the bridge.

He follows the others out, looking about as if he'd just been given the world's biggest toy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (history) for this time period: (1d20+30)[15](45)
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-08-29 at 09:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek sees an expanse of ruins that seems to go on for miles, fallen temples and ruined facades of palaces littering the ground. However, he can make out what look to be like paths that lead beneath the rubble, paths that look to have been last used very frequently - footprints are still in the dust, and can't have been made more than a few days ago.

For Mahogany
    Spoiler
    Show

You recognize this as the beginning of the beginning of the modern era. You stand in the ruins of what was once the capital of a great goblin empire, now reduced to nothing more than an underground city of survivors and renegades. The human race has yet to come to Khorvaire, nor have the dragonmarks yet manifested. The most powerful mortal civilization in the world remains that of the elves, in distant Aerenal.

For Rabina
    Spoiler
    Show

You psychometrically exam the orb, and receive a brief impression of its last owner before you and your new allies. He was a human, older than a hundred years by some means unknown to you. You sense an alien flavor on his soul, a sense of nobility and compassion, an urge to uphold the good of all and the order of the world. You cannot see him, but you do acquire an understanding of how he found it, coming across it by chance just as you did.

You sense psychic echoes scattered throughout the ruins, homing in on the most recent. You see ghostly images of a proud warband of hobgoblins marching through the ruins, carrying a sword with a severed hand still wrapped around its handle, and with a blade of gleaming metal you cannot identify. In a formal, stately progression, they march down one of the paths leading beneath the ruins. If you wish to sense any further impressions, you must focus more on the power.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-08-30 at 04:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Gahz

Gahz wanders among the hobgoblin statues, peering at their faces. He knows little of history, but even in ruins, he can tell that the city must have been magnificent.

He keeps the crystal egg in sight as much as he can - he has just met these people, after all, and he would hate to find he had misjudged them by being stranded three thousand years in the past.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

"There have been others nearby recently, possibly within the past few days." He lands back down and walks back to the clustered group, still taking point.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150

Rabina

Rabina's back arches and she hums appreciatively, breathing hard as the torrent of information, sweet and pure, rushes over and through her. Her hands tighten spasmodically on both surfaces in which she is in contact, and her throat begins emitting an unearthly keening of pleasure that no humanoid body should produce.

::Good, good, oh good oh yes sweet but who the rider[?] wait we know such the dreaming ones their children childer and spawn the angular faces the swarming singers of the lighted ways but what is this thing this place these hands oh the hand oh sweet oh pretty oh yesYES::

Spoiler
    Show
    Rabina continues concentrating on sensitivity to psychic impressions in an attempt to discover the roots of the events she has witnessed- and for that matter, their consequences.
    Last edited by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick; 2008-08-30 at 09:28 PM.