New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure in Eberron: The Paradox Wars

Chesley steps out of the orb a few minutes after the rest of you, holding a short sword and wearing a shirt of chainmail. "I found these in the Vault. I think they might be magic." she says, by way of explanation, before falling in line beside Mahogany. She eyes Rabina warily as the Kalashtar...enjoys herself, not sheathing her new-found blade.

For Rabina
    Spoiler
    Show

Rabina sees another vision, another ghostly band of hobgoblins. Many of its members are the same as those she saw in her prior vision, but there are others, many others. Instead of returning, they are setting out, led by a hobgoblin in resplendent golden armor who was not in her first vision. As the vision begins to waver, a hobgoblin puts a saw-bladed bastard sword to the leader's throat and slashes it, and the rest break int a wild melee.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rabina racks her brain in an attempt to recall some fact that might shed light on her visions...

(1d20+34)[49] Whispers

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

For Rabina
    Spoiler
    Show

This is the downfall of the great hobgoblin empire, so betrayals such as the one you just witnessed should not be uncommon. You are not sure what warband you just saw, but you can wager a guess that it is the remnants of one of the elites of old: perhaps the 501st Legion, or Orichalcum Horde, or the Ordus Gladiorum Cuspiorum. While you are not sure what kind of metal the leader's armor and sword are made of, you recognize it to be of extraordinary quality, surpassing even that of adamantine or mithral.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek calls out from the small gathering of people after a short pause, looking at the girl. "...If you had to, could you use that blade?" His voice seems almost angry when he says that, as if the girl's jumping into a potential fight she couldn't possibly win.

"...And what is your name?"
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

"It's Chesley." she says, barely willing to speak to Vaajek. "And you're going to find out just how well I can use it if you can't get over your demonic ego. " she says, deadpan, before taking a step to put Mahogany between her and the demon.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-08-31 at 09:11 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156

Rabina

Rabina stops concentrating on her psionic emanation, and shudders one last time before rising to her feet and brushing herself off.

::I have found a pretty thing [!] Not the gold nor the silver not the sweet silver of the deep places or the dark black stone [?][!] but sweeter prettier better[!] We should go find take find know bring to a new place[.]::

7. - Top - End - #157
    Banned

Mahogany stops staring about to glance over at Chesley with a wink.

He turns to Vajeek and makes calming gestures,
    "Here now, let's not get all like this. I know hellfire and having your ticker ripped out will get anyone on the wrong side of the bed, but take a gander about. Beautiful day, we got us some ruins to poke at, and all the time in the world, eh?"
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-08-31 at 02:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

Sinan is last to step out, squinting in the sunlight. "Er, I realize that this is rather exciting," he says, stride threatening to break into a run, "but I picked this spot just as a test. I, ah, don't know if any of us speaks Goblin, but I haven't studied it much and I don't know how friendly any natives would be? Towards elves, especially, I believe there have been incidents."

"I think,"
    he stops as Rabina gives her declaration. "Ah... is there someplace we should go? To find this... metal? Thing?" he asks cautiously, for the first time not taking one of her declarations in stride.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #159

Rabina

::Beneath beneath the low the grave places the many-worded many-tongued sepulchres::

Somewhat more clearly, she points in the direction the procession went in her vision.

"Nuk'chat kak-tak-kat-dhaa!"

Translation From Goblin
    Spoiler
    Show

Fool, I speak the tongue of the people!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

He scratches his chin and pauses, "Keze mu." He then disappears, reappearing in the center of the machine and begins toward the vault, looking inside.

Translation
    Spoiler
    Show
    One moment.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

The Vault is a room full of shelves and cabinets and drawers, stretching on for long enough to hold half the wealth of old Galifar. Vaajek finds that, while most of the drawers and shelves are empty, Chesley did not quite empty it out. Laid out on the foremost shelf is a panoply of tools and items. A set of greaves, made from flowing azure crystal, sit on the floor, a faint violet aura tinging the air around them. An orb of what looks like lavendar quartz hovers a few inches over one of the shelves, bobbing in the air as if possessed of its own will. And a mithral ring set with an opalescent pearl weighs down a scroll, with eldritch runes visibly written over ancient parchment.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

He comes back out a little while later carrying these strange items and sets them down on the ground before the rest of the party. "Perhaps someone among the rest of you can identify these..." He looks back up at Chesley but again back at the rest of them, "I found them in the vault."

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163

Gahz

Gahz, noticing that everyone had congregated back at the ship, has left off his own explorations and rejoined them.

He looked at the items in Vaajekk's hands briefly, then shrugged. "Don't have much knowledge about - or interest in - magical doohickeys like that, myself." He bounces up and down on the balls of his feet lightly wordlessly, obviously eager to go wandering.

Spoiler
    Show
    'Doohickeys'? Maybe Mahogany is rubbing off on me.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Banned

Mahogany taps the ball of quartz curiously, making it bob up and down. He shrugs and says, "Prob'ly old hat to you folk, but though seen baubles off and on, not sure 'bout this lot. Right pretty at any rate."
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-09-02 at 09:10 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

Sinan looks askance at Rabina, not quite understanding. "Er, a moment, if you please..." He casts a spell, hesitantly reaching out to tap the odd woman's shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Comprehend Languages

"Ah... I'm not really sure what you intend to do, but do you think you'll need me along? It occurs to me that it might be prudent to leave somebody to watch the ship. Terrible shame if we lost it just after finding it, don't you know..."

16. - Top - End - #166

Gahz

"That would be extremely unfortunate," Gahz agreed with Sinan. "Don't suppose there's a way to lock our awesome new crystal egg thing..."

He looks like he's about to clap Rabina on the shoulder, then reconsiders at the last instant. "Anyhow, I see we have a direction. I say we see what's there." He waved a hand in the direction Rabina had pointed.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

As soon as the word "lock" leaves Gahz's lips, the crystal flares to life, a brightly shining design of runes and patterns that assemble into a greater design. Though the meaning of the schema is too esoteric to be interpreted at first glance, at least some of the design seems to be in the notation commonly used for arcane diagrams and spellcraft.

18. - Top - End - #168

Rabina

The psionic pscare almost, but not quite, leans into the clap, a strangely playful expression on her face. She nods to Ganitai to remain with the ship, although unless she misses her guess- and she seldom does- it's in good shape.

::Ooh, the pretty thing the sweet the dreamer knows our wills and ways so well[.] Walking now into the heart the schema the marrow of tales and glories fading faded dead[?]::

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek looks upon the diagram as it springs into being, but is incapable of figuring out the meaning of any of it, not having much knowledge in the ways of arcana. He looks at Rabina when she 'speaks'. "Curious." He says in a low voice, "Perhaps the most coherent thing to come out of your head since I've met you."
    He then looks around, suddenly looking restless and turns slightly to look back out at the ruins, "But there's no time to stand around like fools. I've grown so bored I may very well die. Come!" He bellows as he begins walking back toward the path.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Barbarian in the Playground

Drann sat pondering the uses of a vessel such as this for a little while. Thinking that maybe once he got the whole Sharn situation figured out, he'd take it with him back to Thronehold. Using it would certainly make it easier for him to do his job as the Guardian.

So deep was his reverie that not even the movement through space/time could brreak him out of it. But once he came to, he realized that the vessel was in a much different location.

"Shuh muh? How long was I out?" He says, looking across the landscape, noticing the hobgoblins that hadn't been there before.

Remembering someone say something about temporal travel, a smile comes to his face once again as he considers the applications. "D'un yi shia, puhn yoh. he calls out to Vaajek, but does a quick sigh as he realizes that no one understood that. "Hold on, just one second."

He translates he words, moving over to the fiendish man. "If you'll allow me to examine these items, I may be able to give us some answers."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming that Vaajek gives consent, I use Identify on the items.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek stops and turns to look at him, then points to the items on the ground in between everyone else. "Be quick, if we do not move soon I will not claim responsibility for my actions... K'yu gilkra Yoll."

Translation from abyssal
    Spoiler
    Show
    "As if I would anyway."
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-09-07 at 04:04 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

There is an ominous rumbling as the rubble beneath your feet shifts. While the orb seems to have landed on a stable foundation of marble, the loose ruins around it seem shaken by its arrival, gradually falling apart. While it seems stable enough for now, remaining here would likely be less than helpful.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey guys, let's keep this alive.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we were waiting on you for magic item identification.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ellas says he's just waiting for TD1 to tell him what they are.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

For Ellas Aramond
    Spoiler
    Show

The items are a ring of freedom of movement, boots of temporal acceleration, a pale lavender ioun stone, and a scroll of foresight.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Looks like you found some useful things." Drann says to Vaajek after completing his work. "The ring creates a continuous freedom of movement effect on the wearer. This ioun stone absorbs lower level spells, the scroll has a spell of foresight inscribed upon it, and the boots, well, they're the most interesting thing in this pile. For a little more then ten seconds, they speed you up so much that everything else appears to be standing still."

"Now we need to decide wether we're going to go out and explore, or make this thing travel someplace else." he picks up the stone and starts lightly tossing it in his hand. "Because I don't like that shake just now."
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

"Your cowardice in the face of danger sickens me, mortal. We will venture outward! Should something stand in our way we will not flee like you so wish to do..." Vaajek snorts and grabs the ring of freedom of movement, taking off his thin, silvery ring of evasion and sliding the new one on, slipping his old ring into his belt-pouch.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-09-09 at 05:25 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Sinan

"I believe he is referring to the possibility that our time-traveling device might fall and be buried under the rubble while we are gone, my good fellow, rather than worrying about personal danger. I feel we've proved we can deal with that well enough," Sinan explains, having recovered from both his earlier giddiness and his slightly less earlier nervousness. "We've all of time to explore, after all, and I only picked this time at random. Aside from what our, ah, companion has apparently found, I don't know of anything especially noteworthy here."
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-09-09 at 05:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Vaajek pauses, then walks over the the machine and hits the ground with his bare foot. "Seems stable to me... but if not..." The kajubaan then puts his arms around the base of the machine and begins lifting it, managing to lift it almost over his head with relative ease. "If not, I doubt we'll have problems with what consumes it." He puts it back down and begins walking back on the path.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180

Gahz

Gahz rolls his eyes at Vaajek's theatrics - where the demon can't see him - but falls into step behind him. He does want to explore, at least for a short time, and Rabina's ramblings seemed to indicate that they'd find something that way.

Although what they find might be their deaths, considering she had been speaking of graves and sepulchers and things. Either way, it'd be interesting.

Spoiler
    Show