New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 1] A New Beginning

As Throshkar rips open the cocoon with the dagger he can see a mummified human. Empty eye sockets glare out at Throshkar, the skin of the man is tightly pressed against the bone, so much so that one can see the bumps and ridges of the skull and other bones. As you continue cutting through the cocoon some gold coins fall out from the side. These coins must have belongs to this now dead man. You feel a sense of disgust knowing that these people's current resting place is in the web of a now dead spider.

As Lewis look around at each of the wagons, he notices something. Under one of the wagons he sees a large webbed sack filled with tiny globs about the size of a larger melon. The web surrounding this sack seems to be very thick as if to protect it from others.

You search around and find a few objects of worth...

You gather the coins you find on the bodies and from within the wagons. In all there are 600 gold pieces, 1500 silver, 340 copper pieces. You find a white beryl, a brown/tawny agate, a carey plume agate, a blue diopside, and a orbaline gems. You find a potion which you believe is a cure moderate wounds. You find a scroll of sanctuary. Finally, you find a bastard sword which you believe is magical.

[DM SPOILER]
    Spoiler
    Show

Please do not look
    Spoiler
    Show

GEM
    beryl (white) (383 gp)
    brown/tawny agate (11.2 gp)
    carey plume agate (40.4 gp)
    diopside (blue) (7.6 gp)
    orbaline (210.5 gp)
    POTION
    potion of cure moderate wounds (300 gp)
    CURSE: possessor's race or kind changes
    ochre-colored
    sweet odor/taste
    watery, layered appearance
    potion of sanctuary (50 gp)
    rose-colored
    meaty odor/taste
    effervescent, clear appearance
    SCROLL
    divine (25 gp)
    Sanctuary (l1, cl1)
    WEAPON
    bastard sword +1 (2,335 gp)
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

grrrrr..... wants to look, me does musssttttt clickkkkkkkk musssssssstttt no cliccckkkkkkk

Whats the roll for knowing what a spider egg sack looks like? Knowledge(kidnergarten)?
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Olna looks over the sword, she was able to determine what the potion and scroll were fairly easily. After a few moments of careful examination she is confident that this sword has a small magical enchantment which allows the user to harm his opponent more easily.

[OOC: Sword +1]
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #124

Olna

Olna explains the sword is magical and will do more damage than Johnathon's sword, and about equal to Throshkar.

Spoiler
    Show

What were the potion and scroll, then?

Johnathon

"Well, old man, should we fight for it?" Johnathon smiles and winks at Throshkar.

Assuming that Throshkar either takes the new sword and offers him his old, or offers Johnathon the new sword, Johnathon offers his old sword to Louis along with the stories of the foes it fell and how to keep it clean.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar shrugs: "Age before beauty!" Indeed, the hilt and pommel of the new sword do not have half the precious metal trim to them as his current blade, Heromaker. Louis takes Johnathan's sword with great appreciation, and listens to the cavalier's stories eagerly, only interrupting briefly to tell the party about the spider sacs he found inside the wagons.

Throshkar leaves the two telling tales and goes over to the wagon with the nesting spiders. If there are no objections, he will smash them one by one with his flail.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

The eggs smash open quite easily leaving a sticky green goo upon the darkened grass. After the first few, it gets boring watching each egg bust with the thrust of the blade. As the goo piles up the eggs seem to slide around on the grass making this activity harder. After a long while, you finish destroying each egg.

What is the plan now?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar wipes his brow, then hands his flail to Louis for cleaning. He feels unusually tired after the night's events.

"We'll be resting here tonight, shall we?"

If the group agrees, Throshkar will begin unpacking his gear and removing Arondight's armor. Louis will take care of their weapons and then start up a fire, arranging dinner.

Spoiler
    Show
    How do I heal strength damage? Did the poison have any other lasting effects? Olna and Throsh get +10 HP after sleeping, right?
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Current GiantITP game: The Dark Lord (Chapter 3)
    Current character: Throshkar deLaBlanche - Cavalier, Level 12

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

My Player Registration for PBP -- includes current characters and games.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

You awaken from your restless night sleep. Throshkar seems to be running a fever from his wounds and feels weaker than normal. You finish packing up your belongings and the items you have found in this sad place of death. You do realize that others may still fall into this trap and become stuck in the spiders web if not careful only to become victim to a new predator that comes along.

Is there anything esle you wish to do before moving on?

9. - Top - End - #129

Olna

"Let's tear down these webs across the road."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

The dream was always the same.

Spoiler
    Show
    There Throshkar stood, arms raised in victory, sunlight glinting off the elegant silver filigree of his finely hammered, perfect plate armor. The hero, he had finally vanquished the cowards that had undermined the kingdom for years with their corruption and greed. Pride surged in Throshkar's veins.

And there, half in shadow, a cloaked figure whose face he knew but did not see... striking in the blink of a dream, a pain thrust diamond hard into his breast... and it was his father's face, stern and lost, and Throshkar's elder brothers, both just watching as the knife sank in...

"Mother!" It wasn't his voice, wasn't his body. "For the kingdom! For glory!" It wasn't his voice, it wasn't his smile in the lightning.

A golden crown rolled to his feet. Throshkar knelt to pick it up. His mind yelled no, but his father, in the shadows, whispered, "Yes...' and he blinked and his brothers were there, wrestling in a pool of blood, as he sat in the throne overlooking the kingdom.
    Throshkar woke up blearily; he had trouble raising his arms, and trouble keeping down the breakfast of scones and sweetened buttercream, the last of the quality foods that they had brought. Perhaps the cream had gone sour, he thought amid the fog and the sweats. He'd never met a venom he couldn't shake off before.

Louis resaddled Arondight and put his armor back on, then helped Olna and Johnathan clear the webbing from the road. Eventually Throshkar joined them. Just as they were breaking camp, Henri came trotting back from a venture into the woods, a young quail limp between his teeth. Throshkar smiled, congratulated the dog; Louis coaxed the bird from his jaws and put it away for lunch.

Throshkar urged Arondight to the sky as soon as they were ready to depart, again scouting for danger and glory ahead.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-09-23 at 11:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Clearing the webbing takes most of the morning. Each strand takes several sword swings which quickly tires Throshkar. After the road is clear, the party continues their journey north. Several more days pass quickly it is not until the rain starts to fall that you realize how long this journey is taking. The fall rains quickly come upon you and progress slows as the rain falls for days. It could also be due to the path winding up the mountain. After four long weary days of rain filled traveling listening to Lewis wining about the cold and rain, you come upon the WindyGap town after the sun has set and as you look for another camping spot. Actually, in the fog, you do not realize you are getting so close until you come up upon the gate and a gruff looking dwarf glances in your direction and asks "Ya, 'his be 'he windy'ap, from 'he look of ye, merchan' ye are no'. 'Ravelers coming in 'he nigh' fog are a bad omen. Why ye 'ravel in the fog?"

12. - Top - End - #132

Olna

"We are travelling in the fog, because the fog has descended upon the path we are on. I would much rather be travelling in the light of the sun." Olna smiles to the dwarf.

"Can you direct us to a inn, a stable, perhaps a good tavern? Then we will no longer be travellers in the fog, but visitors in your fine town, enjoying a good meal and maybe a nice mug of ale or two."

Johnathon pipes up, "It would be nice to here your singing voice in a tavern, instead of around a campfire." Johnathon smiles at the thought of spending a night with warm food and a comfortable bed and Olna.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+26)[40]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Normally Throshkar would push forward and demand entry as the right of any nobleman, but that poison... he still felt sick, and his head throbbed. He hoped Olna could charm her way past the gatekeeper quickly, and they to an inn post-haste.

Louis got off his horse and chained Henri, who clearly wanted to bound onto the dwarf and lick his big beard. The dog always had the same reaction to dwarves.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

The dwarf smiles with a toothless grin, "Ye ale 'ouse is 'oo 'he lef' me lady. Mayhaps i could ge' ye a drink." You enter the town which by this hour only candles burn in the small inn and the tavern. Walking into the tavern it is full of gruff looking men and women drinking heavily. You find a table near the back and the house stew is quickly brought to you. The warm rabbit meat with the rich broth fills your soul and the strong mead warms your belly. You sit in silence listening to a crossdressing man sing of love lost while he dodges rocks and mugs of ale being thrown at him by the rough crowd.

15. - Top - End - #135

Olna

Olna smiles at the dwarf and replies, "My friend here may object to your proposition, though I appreciate the compliment."

------------------------------------------

Upon finshing her stew and seeing Johnathon going for seconds, she tossles the cavalier's hair and smiles at him. Johnathon looks back smiling and happier than before their return to home. He leans in and whispers in her ear.

Olna nods and stands to approach the bar and requests the opportunity to sing a song. Though she is tired and worn from the road, she is a far cry from a cross-dressing young bard, and does stand out a bit in the room.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Olna's fair form, even through covered in grime from the rain, and sweet voice is a stark contrast from the usual drab vocals. As she rises to the stage she is met with the usual throw of random items which she quickly dodges but after opening her voice, the crowd seems to calm down. With the exception of the crossdressing man, who throws a bottle at her fair form which hits the wall shattering. However, before anyone can react, the crossdressing bard's face is quickly met with a solid punch from another patron which leaves him unconscious on the floor.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar leans over to Johnathan: "Much as I enjoy the lady's singing, perhaps we could find better accommodations in which to listen? Surely there is a noble or two in this town who would house men of good blood such as we..." To Throshkar, his friend's lack of blue blood has been more than made up for by his prowess in battle -- "good blood" has a different meaning to him than it might to others.

Henri pads up to each of the tables, looking for scraps; his powerful looks earn him positive attention and several leftover bones from the rough-and-tumble crowd. Louis, on the other hand, sits beside his master, enchanted by Olna's voice.

18. - Top - End - #138

Olna

Olna completes her song and takes a bow. She then begins to round the room speaking with any that wish to speak with her. She gives of her time freely and even buys a couple of drinks. If any offer to buy her something, she tries to convince them to buy it instead for a different person (i.e., overlooked girls shying in the corner, or their worst enemy).

Spoiler
    Show

Trying to find out information about the Prince.
    GatherInformation - (1d20+15)[32] Or Take 20 if allowed. Use Bluff +17 to dissuade anyone that may think she's asking too many questions.

Johnathon

"We'll get no better information about why we are here than what Olna is starting to procure right now. The servants of this world are at every dinner, unseen in every room of secrets and have a much lower price to reveal anything because they either don't know the significance of information, or their life is improved with ten gold whereas a noble would need ten thousand."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar nods. It's not the first time Johnathan has thought about strategy before comfort, which is itself a comfort. The cavalier closes his eyes and rests his pounding head. "I'm glad on that. But I need to rest soon. This coney stew was better than what we've been stuck with on the road -- god, that took forever! -- but I need a real meal and a real bed. And hopefully real company! No offense..."
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Current GiantITP game: The Dark Lord (Chapter 3)
    Current character: Throshkar deLaBlanche - Cavalier, Level 12

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

My Player Registration for PBP -- includes current characters and games.

20. - Top - End - #140

Johnathon

"Then, let us get rooms here. Come morning we will have sufficient information about the town, I'd wager, to find better lodging as you wish. Plus, I find that people of good blood would frown on us before a good night's sleep in a bed and a bath." Johnathon winks at Throskar.

"Olna will be sometime, and I'd like to keep an eye on her. Could Louis get a room settled for me and Olna? We will meet you in the morning then."

Spoiler
    Show

Gather information takes 2-5 hours typically. Johnathon will sit vigil, waiting for Olna to finish her rounds.
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-09-24 at 03:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

You procure a few rooms at the inn across the street. The inn is crowded but the keeper makes rooms available for the cavaliers and their party at no charge. The rooms are nice, nothing of the comfort of your home city, but better than a cold wet blanket.

Olna, You spend some time talking with the locals, which you are surprised to find very few, most it seems are travelers themselves, looking for adventure, gold, freedom, a new life, etc. It seems that no one has seen the young prince; however, a few have seen a man fitting his general disposition. It seems that the young prince was here a few weeks ago gathering up some supplies and recruiting a few good men. One man, in particular, had a lengthy conversation with the young lad. He recounts to you, that this young man (the prince) told him tales of a orcan ambush and a narrow escape from a spider. It seems that this prince has narrowly escaped death a few times during his short travels. The prince has lost several of his traveling companions during these encounters and and had to enlist a few less than noteworthy companions to continue his adventure. It seems that he is planning on scaling the northern point, a mountain north of here, with the purpose of slaying the white dragon Bellthordor. He has been gone now for several weeks.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

While his squire lays out the bed with the cavalier's lush, high-threadcount linens and goosefeather pillows to compliment the rough but warm blankets already provided, Throshkar grumbles and moans as sick people are wont to do. Nothing is comfortable enough, the water tastes funny, turn off the gas light, leave the candle lit, not so close, no not there, okay fine, why are the crickets so blasted loud in this cursed place, etc etc etc.

Throshkar awakes just before the sun rises over the horizon, refreshed and eager for a challenge.

Louis, on the other hand, got no sleep. He hides his head under his blankets; Throshkar is feeling generous and dresses himself before gently kicking the boy off the floor where he slept. "Breakfast, King Louis! A cavalier needs to eat mightily for strength! Don't mind just what they have at the inn; see what the country folk have outside. But don't take anything from anyone who wants to haggle. Filthy merchants will be the ruin of us all." He tosses the boy some coins for their meal.

23. - Top - End - #143

Pay no attention to my post here, I was wrong.
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-09-24 at 05:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

In the morning, you get a lay of the city. The city sits between two sharp cliffs rising to the east and west. Two stone walls face to the north and south keeping the city within a square of stone fortifications; two made by man and two by nature. The city itself is rather small with various stone buildings built upon each other. The city or rather town or village sized place has a major road through the center which connects to the two gates of the trade route through the mountainous region. The atmosphere in this place, is one of contrasts. One feels as if they are in a fort with the fortifications and dwarvin guard busily marching the walls and patrolling the gates. However, one also feels as if they are near a seedy dock where pirates, traders, adventurers, and other shady characters could easily be found. It is a place where you should have a good grasp on your purse and watch your back.

The group meets Lewis in the common room of the inn around midmorning, or when Olna finally drags herself from her bed. Lewis has returned empty handed, not sure what to tell his Lord for he was unable to find anyone not willing to haggle with him for goods. Additionally, when he tried to find people outside the town all he found was were rocks and dwarves on patrol. The common room is empty except for one traveler....

[Enter Regis stage left]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regis

The man sits easily in the center of the room. He is rummaging around inside an old and worn looking leather backpack. He looks up and nods to anyone who walks down.

His deep tan and shaggy long brown hair speak of countless hours on the road. His full plate is worn and slightly rusted, the dirt and dust nearly a protective layer unto itself. All of his gear shows signs of weathering for many years, sun faded and yet well cared for. His scraggly dust brown beard sits on a wide face and frame. His sky blue eyes are even faded as he looks to you and says Blessings of the road to you, good morning.

He stands, his wide bulk not quite running to fat, clumsily bumping his way past the trestle tables that sit around the room. You can see the mace hanging from his belt and heavy shield leaning against the bench where he was sitting a moment before. The most notable thing beyond the layers of dust is the circular disc that hangs around his neck, the horizon line that crosses it rings a bell from somewhere. He walks into the bar area to speak with the barmaid Now Lari, this just isn't right. How can you tell me that you are out of coffee? And bacon? I saw three pigs on my way in here and you are out of bacon? Just give me what you have then. Is it still okay to smoke in here? He walks over to the fireplace, pulling a beautiful white stone pipe from a pouch and packing some pipeweed into it as he moves. Using some tongs to snatch a coal from the embers he lights it, turning around puffing he says to Lewis, Hey youngster, you wouldn't happen to know who did me the favor of cleaning up a little spider down the road would ya?
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-09-26 at 12:37 AM.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

The barmaid smiles with a toothless grin and brings over a plate of summer sausage to Regis with a large mug of hard dwarvin ale. "Yre, welcome to smoke as always. Got you sum sausage and a drink that will wake the dead. We be running low on supplies, the spring goods have not yet arrived. The sausage might be a little tough, it be curing in the cellar all winter."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar shakes his head at the news that the entire town was full of skinflints and thieves. "That a cavalier should be forced to fight over coins, and with countryfolk no less... bah! I'd almost rather starve," he grumps. He sighs, then puts on a happy face and looks around the nearly empty inn. "Well, at least they won't argue over prices here, even if we can't get fresh croissants or pheasant off the hotstone."

Throshkar nods at the big man when he's greeted. "Hail and well met, sir." He bows, but does not engage in introductions, as both men are clearly more concerned with the state of their own meals. Throshkar makes the breakfast orders for the group, then sits down in the nicest seat he can find.

Louis beams at Regis when addressed, and points at Throshkar. "That were me master, Throshkar deLaBlanche -- he's tha bravest cavalier ever rode! He an' Johnathan Oldman, him over there, they went an' smushed the thing up good, an' destroyed the eggs an' everythin'!" Henri, nearby, barks. "Oh, yeah, and Henri was there, and so were tha purty lady over there -- she sang a mighty good song as they was fighting, so good even I almost were brave 'nough ta fight it. But it were HUGE -- I may be a cavalier ta be, but I can't fight for naught yet." The boy kicks the floor.

"But - but how'd you know 'bout it bein' dead? We only just come straight from 'ere, an' been here but a short night. You a seer??" The question is breathy, awed.

Henri nuzzles and licks Regis' hand, begging for one of his sausages.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just posting to keep HP updated.

Throshkar:
    {table] Throshkar | Human | Cavalier | LVL 10 | LG | Medium
    hp: 84/84 | | Spd | AC/T/FF | 16/10/16 | Banded Mail, mw
    +1 Bastard Sword | +16/+11 | 1d10+5 | 17-20/x2 | No ranged atk
    SV | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Wil +2||
    STR 1016 | DEX 12 | CON 14 | INT 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 13
    Skills|Spot -1|Listen -1|Ride +11|Appraise +3|Diplom. +3[/table]

Arondight:
    {table] Arondight| Pegasus | - | LVL ? | LG | Large
    hp: 42/42 | 60ft/120fly | Spd | AC/T/FF | 14/11/12 | armor
    Base Attack/Grapple | +4/+12 | Hoof x2 +7 melee | 1d6+4 | Bite +2 melee | 1d3+2
    SV | Fort +7 | Ref +6 | Wil +4 ||
    STR 18 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | INT 10 | WIS 13 | CHA 13
    Skills|Spot +8|Listen +8|Diplom. +3|Sense Mot. +9|
    [/table]
    10/5 Space/Reach
    Darkvision, scent, detect good/evil
    +2 Initiative
    Flyby Attack, Iron Will

Henri:
    {table] Henri| Dog (large) | - | LVL ? | Neutral |Medium Animal
    hp: 16/16 | 40ft | Spd | AC/T/FF | 16/12/14 | no armor
    Base Attack/Grapple | +1/+3 | Bite +3 melee | 1d6+3 | +2 Initiative | |
    SV | Fort +5 | Ref +5 | Wil +1 ||
    STR 15 | DEX 15 | CON 15 | INT 2 | WIS 12 | CHA 6
    Spot +5|Listen +5|Swim +3|Survival +1 (+4 when tracking)|Jump +8
    [/table]
    Low-light vision, scent
    Alterness, Track, Trip (successful bite = can trip w/ +1, don't need touch attack or OppAtt)

Louis (still need to update the weapons):
    {table] Louis| Commoner (teen) | - | LVL 1 | LG |Medium
    hp: 4/4 | 30ft | Spd | AC/T/FF | 13/9/14 | Chain Shirt
    Base Attack/Grapple -1 | Crossbow -1 ranged | 80ft | 1d8| 19-20/x2 | -1 Initiative |
    SV | Fort -1 | Ref -1 | Wil -1 ||
    STR 8 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | INT 8 | WIS 8 | CHA 8
    Skills|Ride +0|Listen -1|Spot -1|Climb +1
    [/table]
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-09-26 at 03:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Regis

The big man chuckles at the boys energetic retelling Oh, I am just a far traveling son of the Master of Roads. The horizon greets me every morning and I try to walk that far. I walked past the rubbish in the early hours this morning, and kept on walking. I knew Lari over there would have something to fill my belly and maybe I could thank the folks who did the dirty work for me. He grins at the boy and then looks at his master, and the others You do the work of the Horizon Walker wether you know it or not. Thank ye. If there is anything I can do to repay the favor just let me know. I have walked the length and breadth of this realm, any cavalier has just to as old Regis and I'll help. He take a big swallow of his ale, grimmacing at the bitterness before turning to his meal.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-09-26 at 03:20 PM. Reason: there is a Z in horizon

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

As you look outside the inn's windows you notice that a light snow has started to fall. You realize that winter must not be completely over yet. The men and women of the town do not see to give it much notice, it must be a common occurrence for them here in this mountainous town.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Cyranojoe View Post
    Henri nuzzles and licks Regis' hand, begging for one of his sausages.
    [OOC missed this before}

Regis

Somewhat startled at the dog's attentions, but easily figuring out the reason why Regis looks askance at Throshkar holding a small end of a suasage. Regis new it was rude to just feed another's animal, especially a nobles hound.