New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 1] A New Beginning

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar chuckles at the ease with which Henri makes friends. He nods to Regis and stands. "Throshkar deLaBlanche, as my boy Louis says." He twirls his hand in the air and bows, then winces.

"You'll pardon me, yon spider suffered to inject me with a poison even a cavalier's strength cannot shake off easily. In any case, Henri will much appreciate whatever you feed him -- and I doubt you'll have to suffer the gaseous aftereffects, so, as you will." He smirks.

"Old man! Meet Regis -- I think he may be about your age, heh?"
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Current GiantITP game: The Dark Lord (Chapter 3)
    Current character: Throshkar deLaBlanche - Cavalier, Level 12

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

My Player Registration for PBP -- includes current characters and games.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regis

Regis stands nearly bumping his drink over with his bulk as he does so. He shakes hands all around and the sits again. Poison eh? I think I can take care of that for you. Hold still. Regis takes the holy symbol and closing his eyes for a moment. His other arm he points to Throshkar with palm open, Regis looks up with eyes the color of sky and blows across his outstretched palm, a fine sparkling dust billows out at Throshkar surrounding him. Throshkar feels the pain and soreness ebbing away and dissappearing. Regis looks at Throshkar Feel better?

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Restoration on Throshkar.

If he resists, Will save DC 18
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

As you look out the window you see that a gentle blanket of snow now covers the houses and roads of the town. Part of you sees the snow's beauty but another part of you knows that this snow will make your journey harder and colder. Hopefully the snow will not last long.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Olna

Olna looks at the man of faith assisting Throskar and thanks him.

"Thank you, sir. For I have been trying to get him to rest and heal to no avail. My skills at healing are not as strong as yours."

Spoiler
    Show

So no posty. Have been reading, but haven't really seen where Olna could have poked in. just forced it today. Maybe my brain will work better later in the week.
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Louis marvels at how Throshkar's face loses its greenish tinge, his amazement equaled by the cavalier's own. Throshkar steadies himself against a nearby chair as his strength returns to him in a rush.

"A puff of wind, and that's that? I feel... I, I -- Sir Regis, you are a king among healers!" Throshkar has only ever heard rumors of clerics with this much skill. "Olna, Olna my dear, we might have to trade you in for a Regis of our own!" He introduces Olna with a flourish.

"You have a cavalier's thanks, Sir Regis. Pardon me -- it had not occurred to me that such a simple guise belied a man of such good talents. I am in your debt. May I?" Throshkar takes a seat at the same table as Regis, if he allows it, then gestures to the servitors to deliver their breakfast here.

"And yet, I might ask to be in your debt a bit further. But first: What think you of the king?" He angles his head, bony jaw thrust forward.

Spoiler
    Show
    The king just died very recently, so I don't know whether Regis would know about it or not.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-09-29 at 01:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

Regis

Ahh, I am no king. Regis says making room for the cavalier and his companions. Miss Olna, I must say it is a fine thing to meet such a beauty as yours. But you probably hear that from all of the brutes. Sit down, join me. I am harmless.

He takes a bite before answering Throshkar There is no debt. I do as I always have wandering the roads doing what little goods I can here and there. As for the King, a fine man. I have no trouble with him. No he me. I hear he has been sick of late. And ther is rumor of his death, and an ill wind upon the roads. Why do you ask?

7. - Top - End - #157

Johnathon

"There will be no trading of Olna for anything, thank you very much." The other crusader in the midst chimes in.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"The King wa--is a great man," Throshkar says firmly, despite the stumble. "As a cavalier, I am sworn to uphold his will, defend his honor, and protect his kingdom. And it so happens that the three -- well, five of us, we are on a mission to do just this. But I fear we cannot accomplish this alone, and I would ask you to join us... so long as you are a loyal servant of the king."

"As the snows descend outside, I fear the road before us grows darker and ever more treacherous. Yet I would fain battle the world alone than trust one whose faith to the King could be broken with any ease -- I do not accuse you or anyone of such a vile thing, it is just that our mission is of such import that even the strongest of wills may be tested."

The cavalier thinks to the moments he stood in the presence of the dark knights. He had not even crossed swords with one, and yet felt their threat upon his soul.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-09-29 at 03:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Regis

Well, here we have a problem. Only the good god holds my allegience. But there is a reason why I am here this morning and you are the only other people here this morning. I would be a fool to miss the signs. Finishing his meal he leans back a bit drinking the bitter ale. He wipes his beard and mouth with his hand before offering the crumbs to the dog.

I had hoped to sit for a day or so before heading out but I think you are going to want to press on. I'll join you on your quest, if you'll have me, but understand I will walk or fly maybe but I'll keep off of the horses, thank you.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-09-29 at 10:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"God is good." Throshkar looks to the ground and makes one of the more common gestures of faith. He is not especially devout, but churchgoing is one of the mandates of good social graces, and that's something to which he is devoted.

Throshkar's optimistic nature struggled with his serious side. It was not much of a fight, especially as he saw how friendly Henri was with the man -- above and beyond the dog's usual appreciation for leftovers.

"Thanks be to you! Perhaps it is the Lord of the Roads who brought us to this path after all -- I had begun to think of it as quite a dreary place until this moment! God certainly wants the King to rule in peace, and you may be the instrument by which his will is done, if I may be so bold as to hope."

"As for the horses, well, in my younger days I would have said a man who does not love horses is not a good man, but now that I have my pegasus, Arondight, I know the glory of the bird's wings -- and if indeed you can take to flight on your own graces, then a pure soul you have indeed."

As long as Johnathan and Olna are in agreement, Throshkar will tell Regis of their mission, but only that they seek the young prince so that he may rightfully stand up for his throne. He will mention the elder prince's taking of power, but gloss over it as a minor matter once the younger prince is found.

11. - Top - End - #161

Regis

Horses are fine. I have no problem with them. I just like the road beneath my feet. Regis listens intently to the tale and their mission. He glances outside at the growing snow and furrows his brow a little before saying When do you intend to leave? I need an hour, I have yet to say my prayers for the day and want to do so.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"The sooner the better -- but of course it is best if we are well-equipped, with god's grace and good armor." Throshkar eyes Regis' gear, thinks of asking him if he plans to obtain better quality equipment, then decides against it. This town is full of enough skinflints that surely finding proper weaponry would be a fool's errand.

After politely asking Regis to speed along his prayers as best he can, Throshkar finishes his breakfast and goes to the stables to prepare their animals. Louis goes to their rooms to pack up the gear and bring it out to the stable -- laboriously, as it is very heavy for him, and Henri is a distraction, especially after he fills the bedroom with the noxious stench of old sausages roughly digested. His wide face expresses surprise when Louis berates him for the flatulence.

13. - Top - End - #163

Olna

"Johnathon and I will gather equipment for the journey. And see what information about the lay of the land that we'll need for our journey. Is there anything specific you need, Edan?" Olna smiles sweetly at Throshkar, knowing deep inside he dislikes the rough town they are in.

Spoiler
    Show

Cold weather gear for the party (outfits, blankets, etc.), some saddle bags for Olna's horse, Anything that Throskar wants that they can afford, etc.

Using diplomacy to avoid being cheated, or get good deals.

Also maps, oral descriptions of the area they will be heading out into, etc.
    Diplomacy: +26
    Gather Info: +15

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

You are able to get the equipment you need at a reasonable cost after a bit of haggling [phb prices]. One old man seems to know the way up to Bellthordor's lair.

The old man's weathered face smiles, "Ye be looking for Bellthordor? Aye, tis been a while since I was around those parts, but you can see the mount north of here on a cloudless day, not like today. Well ye head north following the road. On the way you will find a small trappers cabin a few days from here. The cabin is in a bit of disrepair. From the cabin you should find a few trails from which you can follow. They all connect together, you will come to the base of a cliff. There is a small cave, keep your mounts and servants there, it is sheltered from the weather. From there you scale the cliff up and you will find a hole in the side, a cave 50 or so feet up. Follow the cavern in and you will wind up to Bellthordor's lair. Otherwise you could just fly up to the top of the mountain and you can see the lair but Bellthordor does not take kindly to strangers and had knocked a few balloons out of the air. So i would recommend the former."
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

15. - Top - End - #165

Regis

Regis pays and thanks the landlord. He walks out to the stables and to the back of the house to a quiet place to pray.

Spoiler
    Show
    I may change up my spells when I get home from work, I'll count 1 level 4 slot used for the neutralize poison.

16. - Top - End - #166

Regis

The priest walks back into the common area a short while later. I am ready. he says simply. He stands holding a loaded pack and waits for the others.

17. - Top - End - #167

Olna

Olna an Johnathon return with various supplies for the journey. Olna looks splended in her heavy winter coat and cloak. She relays the message on how to get to where they are going.

Spoiler
    Show

Does Regis have a mount?
    Winter blankets for each person and horse. (8) 4g
    Cold weather outfit for each person (5) 40g
    Saddlebags (for Olna's horse) 4g
    10 days of feed (for all three horses) 1.5g
    Climbing Gear 80g
    Rations for 10 days (per person) (25g)
    154g 5 silver (+1g if Regis has a horse)
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-10-01 at 12:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

You head out on your journey north, the snow squeaks as you walk through the few inches of fallen snow. The rocky trail is slippery but soon the sun shines proudly out from the once cloudy sky. The snow seems to have gotten a bit deeper as you journey north. One day quickly passes and with a cold nights sleep you start your journey anew. The second day is not as bright as before, for the mountain is clouded fog and a heavy snow falls making it hard to find the trail. After many hours of trudging through the snow and listening to Lewis carry on about dying out here, you come upon the trappers cabin. Its a small freestanding building, it is not much other than shelter from the elements. There are small holes in the walls from the elements but it will keep the majority of the wind out.

19. - Top - End - #169

(At night Regis will use Leomund's Secure Shelter to make sleeping much nicer, also one the second day if anyone is suffering from the cold too much he'll memorize another Endure Elements.)

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Louis shivers, though he wears both his and Throshkar's winter coat. The cavalier again eyes the strong, common material with distaste, then pulls his luxurious but altogether too-thin autumn robe around him tighter.

"Louis, Louis," he says. "The cold strengthens us, Louis. But if you like, I'm sure we can heat up a lunch within these tattered walls. What say you, Louis? Everyone else?"

Henri is already scratching at the door. Louis opens it post-haste and scrambles inside.

21. - Top - End - #171

Regis

Regis walks around inspecting the area while the others check the small cabin. Looking around and up into the surrounding area he looks for clues and any signs of the Prince having been here. He also keeps an eye out for ambushers or anything of that sort.

Spoiler
    Show

No track feat but lets see...

Survival (1d20+9)[21]
    Search (1d20)[18]
    Spot (1d20+4)[6]

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar slaps Arondight on the backside; the pegasus takes to the air to look over the area. The cavalier then enters the building behind Louis.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need to roll a Spot or anything for Arondight?
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Current GiantITP game: The Dark Lord (Chapter 3)
    Current character: Throshkar deLaBlanche - Cavalier, Level 12

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

My Player Registration for PBP -- includes current characters and games.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

The door hinge is rusty and the door creaks open half way requiring much force even to get it that far. The inside of the cabin is bare with the exception of a few empty bottles, old bones, and other trash. The wind howls into the cabin through small openings but you do feel more secure with the limited shelter it provides. You can tell this shelter was was recently used by the partially eaten but now frozen food. One thing does crop your interest, you see a wooden floor board that looks like it was recently fix or removed with crude tools and replaced.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

The door was actually too stuck for Louis to budge at all; Throshkar swings it open halfway with a push. Henri bounds into the room, sniffing at all the new scents, especially the bones. He eventually comes to the recently replaced floorboard and begins to scratch at it. Louis, focused on building a fire, ignores him, but Throshkar wanders over.

"What is it, boy? Buried treasure?" He looks over at Regis and the others. "Think anyone would mind if we tore up their floors here? I'm curious."

25. - Top - End - #175

Olna

Olna busies herself with setting up the cabin with warm blankets and dusting off various things. "So long as we replace it, it should be fine."
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-10-08 at 11:45 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

The floor boards creak as you pry the board loose. It takes you a few moments before you have a hole wide enough to reach into. Looking into the hole in the floor, you notice how dry it is under the cabin. Under the floor of the cabin is another wooden floor only this one is about a foot deep. You see that it must have been filled with some sort of insulating material to keep the cold out which now now sense decomposed into a thick dust. Lying upon the thick dust is a worn leather book with the kings symbol imprinted upon the book.

You wipe off the dust from the book and crack it open. Looking at the first couple of pages you realize that this book is the young princes diary. Flipping to the back you read aloud the last entry written only a week ago.
    63 days since the low of winter

Today has been a hard climb. We are lucky to find this cabin. The old trapper told us it would be here and he was right. The snow is coming down hard and tomorrow we are heading up to face the dragon. I am not sure if I even want to live any longer. I found out today that my father was killed earlier this week. Joshua told me on the climb today, I guess he heard it in town. He was not going to tell me until after we defeated the dragon, but in a moment of anger he snapped at me. I fear for my country, my brother is a cruel man. I do not know if he will let me live, either I will die tomorrow or by my brother's hand. I leave this to document why I left in hope that another might find it and listen to my story...

27. - Top - End - #177

Regis

Regis clumps in from his walk around the cabin examining the area. I think I may reinforce this little cabin a little bit before we sleep in it. Seems a little run down.

He looks at the book Throsh holds What you got there?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar grins the smile of a man who lives for the hunt as he closes in on his quarry. "It's the prince! We are but days behind him, it seems!" He shows the book to Regis and hands it over to Johnathan to read. Brushing off the snow from his clothes, the cavalier declares, "Well, we've waited long enough! Let's go -- the prince awaits us!"

Louis looks incredulously at his master. He still can't feel his hands, and the fire he started has barely had time to burn the wood it's feeding on. Henri, meanwhile, catches the spirit and jumps on his master eagerly.

29. - Top - End - #179

Olna

Olna looks at Louis and offers, "There is a cave at the base of the mountain we are to climb. It will be protected from the weather there, you can stay warm with Henri and the horses."

Spoiler
    Show

What time of day is it? Did the information Olna gathered offer her how long it would take to get to the cave?
    Last edited by oliana0; 2008-10-08 at 11:45 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

it is almost night fall. The cave is about a days walk from here. Do you stay or go?