New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 1] A New Beginning

Regis

Excellent work sir knight, riddles have never been my forte'.

As for this riddle I think little Louis may be right but I think the correct answer is "Time".
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-11-17 at 02:47 AM.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Louis claps, once, in approval of Regis' suggestion. Throshkar's face twists in confusion.

"But... how do you take Time to your death?" He shrugs. "It's as good an answer as any. Demon! Are we done with the preludes? Is it time for a true challenge?" Throshkar blinks, suddenly realizing what he said. "Ha! Time!!"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Neither answer provides the desired response to allow you to exit the room. You do notice something alarming, the water level is slowly continuing to rise. However, it is uncertain why the water is rising, the statue no longer spews water from its mouth. Then you realize something that seems almost unnoticeable at first but the walls and statue seem to shrinking or is it that you are growing larger. You shake your head at this new knowledge and realize you most likely have the same amount of time as before.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"SOME-one is CHEAT-ing!!" calls Throshkar. He grins madly. "Well, it's all one -- starvation or crushing, we'll end up a lot thinner!"

Finally noticing what his master and Regis have observed, Louis gasps. He takes a moment to think, then begins feeling the walls for secret traps and whatnot.

Spoiler
    Show
    It'd be a DEX roll to find a way out, right, since Louis doesn't have a full tally of skills? I don't expect him to find anything, but it's a natural reaction.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-11-17 at 07:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Louis notices something very interesting, the walls and floor do not seem to be sliding along a parallel plane which might cause a gap between the wall and the floor. The walls and the floor are seamlessly connected and they are slowly shrinking in an unknown fashion. You are uncertain exactly how this is exactly occurring. You find no traps or secret doors in this room.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar snorts as his young squire points out to them what he has observed about the walls. "If Olna were here, maybe she would know the magics behind that," the boy says.

Throshkar's eyes narrow as a new thought strikes him. "The cause of it matters little. But it could be that these child's games are a distraction to the real challenge -- that of escaping this room!" He laughs and hefts his sword. "Now that would be more fun! Nobody said anything about NOT doing this!!"

The cavalier takes a swing at the face in the wall with his bastard sword, throwing considerable might into the blow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power Attack (subtract 3 points, double that to 6 damage because it's a two-handed weapon):(d20+13)[25]
    Damage:(d10+11)[13]
    Critical is 17-20.

I recognize this is probably not wise or constructive, but it fits Throshkar. :)
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-11-18 at 04:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

A large chuck of the wall is chipped off and flies into the water. The walls stop their movement for a second as if they are startled and then it resumes shrinking of the chamber at a rapid pace. You start to feel as if you are dealing with a living creature rather than a mechanical force.

8. - Top - End - #248

Regis

Regis kneels and begins to pray for a few moments before lifting his head and saying Content men desire "nothing!"

[OOC- Finally remembered this one, a friend of mine used it on me a while back, he's a riddle freak though.]

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

As Regis says the word the water starts to drain and the walls begin to widen. As the last water drains from the room a door appears and gnome walks through it. "I see that you have succeeded in passing the first challenge. I congratulate you on a job well done. To get to your next challenge you will have to follow me." He says as he walks through the door. You follow him into another room. This room is a bit larger and has a lofted ceiling. There is also a large iron door to the west with a key hole. "There is a key suspended from the ceiling," the gnome points toward the ceiling and you can make out a small object 30 feel above you. "That is the only way out of the room. You have 24 hours! Good luck." And with those words the gnome walks through the passage you came from and the walls seem to melt together leaving only the iron door.

As you start to discuss the best strategy to get the lofted key, you hear a cracking noise from a corner of the room. As you go investigate, you notice that the floor is cracking and falling down below. There appears to be a room below. A few minutes later you hear another cracking noise and a small piece of rock falls to the chamber below allowing you to see down there. You notice that the chamber below is actually a pool of lava. You estimate that it will take 24 hours before the floor falls through into the lava.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"Oh, don't be absu--" Throshkar's denial of Regis's answer is cut short by the falling of the waters and the parting of the walls. Even on the entrance of the gnome, both cavalier and squire show complete befuddlement. "But--but--nothing... is an answer?" the boy mutters. Throshkar finally throws his hands up in air.

"Fine! I accept the answer, as ridiculous as it is -- I am content with it -- on to the dragon, illusionist!"

When the figure takes them into another empty room, Throshkar looks around. "Another puzzle?" He rolls his eyes. "Louis! Your turn!" The cavalier tosses down his pack where Louis has placed his own, withdraws some foodstuff, and slouches into a seated position, back up against both bags. "I'm going to have lunch, and then after you've solved this one, I'm going to have that gnome's head if we don't get something fun to do with the next one!"

Louis looks back and forth between master and ceiling, concern crossing his face. "I--I guess I could climb..." His move toward the packs where his gear is stored is halted by Throshkar's sharp laugh. "Don't you have wings?" His smile is wide, his eyes twinkling.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now I remember that riddle. Always hated it, to be honest. It's a natural for a wizard to use, though.

I'm not genuinely complaining, that's just Throshkar's attitude towards non-combat encounters.

And I figure this is easily solved by Regis' flight spell, right?
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-11-20 at 11:02 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251

Regis

Sit and ponder the answer for a while, it makes sense. It is one of the teachings of the more aesthetic members of the cloth. Regis says humbly as he walks with the group to the next puzzle.

He looks upward at the key and pulls his holy symbol out from his robes, he begins walking in a small circle while humming a low chant. He swoops up to the key to collect it. Don't unpack lunch just yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Overland Flight (Duration 10 hours)
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-11-21 at 04:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Regis flys up to where they key is hidden and grabs it. He notices that the key is sitting on a glass shelf which protect it from arrows.

13. - Top - End - #253

Regis

Regis swoops down to the floor and unlocks the door.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

The door lock clicks and the door swings open. You enter back into the same room that you slept the night in. The gnome is waiting there with another meal. "Good job, a new record on that challenge. Now, rest up for the battle challenge tomorrow for you will need your strength and maybe some new spells. I will see you in the morning." With those words the gnome walks straight through one of the stone walls. The iron door to the previous challenge also fades into stone. You are once again locked in a room with six walls of stone.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar grouses his way through lunch, full of disappointment that the most glory he achieved so far today was saying the word 'mountain' to a statue. He mutters and pouts, glaring at the blank wall for a good hour or two despite Louis's best efforts. Finally, the boy convinces him to use the time they have for training exercises.

"Hmph. Well, we can't get you a tree branch to practice with, and we haven't replaced your wooden training sword, so you'll have to use the real thing -- good thing we've got a god-lover here in case you chop your arm off! He can just pop it back on good as new!"

Louis quickly works up a sweat in the small space. "How --heh, ha-- do you think --ahng, yah... hoh-- Henri and Aron -- Arondight -- are doing? And -- and Olna, and monsieur Johnathan? Haaa!"
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-11-21 at 06:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

The gnome enters the next morning with a smile on his face. "Well friends I have a surprise for this third challenge. I hope your sharpened your blades because today's challenge is a battle. Follow me if you please." You enter a small room with a fire blazing in the middle, the gnome walks up to a thrown of stone and sits down ready to watch the battle take place. The room has a warm feeling to it but you can tell it has been used for many battles. The gnome sees that you are waiting to start the fight and he says "You will be fighting an...

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

Ogre Mage: AC: 18 (-1 size, +5 natural, +4 chain shirt), touch 9, flat-footed 18. HP: 55/55

Ogre Mage." As the gnome says this you feel a presence behind you. You turn just in time to see a sword crashing towards Throshkar and the massive creature appearing. The sword smashes through his armor spilling his blood upon the floor (14 dmg). You know that the battle is now on as the gnome giggles like a school girl from his thrown.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+7)[26] (3d6+7)[14]
    Last edited by crimson77; 2008-11-21 at 09:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"Nya! Louis, retreat! Beware, the halfling cheats! There may be more!" Throshkar's face, though awash in his own blood, glows with excitement. He bares his teeth. "Have at thee! In the name of the King!!"] He bellows like an animal as his blade slashes home, one-two.

Louis, meanwhile, pales at the sight of the ogre, but follows his orders immediately, putting distance between himself and both the monster and the gnome.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack #1: (d20+16)[32] - Damage: (d10+5)[13]
    Attack #2: (d20+11)[25] - Damage: (d10+5)[11]
    If he can Power Attack as part of this full attack, take 2 off of the second attack and add 4 to the damage. (I wrote that before editing this post, I swears. )

Louis moves to M11 (can he get that far?) and readies his longspear against a charge attack.

Stat blocks in the second spoiler.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Throshkar:
    {table] Throshkar | Human | Cavalier | LVL 10 | LG | Medium
    hp: 70/84 | | Spd | AC/T/FF | 16/10/16 | Banded Mail, mw
    +1 Bastard Sword | +16/+11 | 1d10+5 | 17-20/x2 | No ranged atk
    SV | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Wil +2||
    STR 15 | DEX 12 | CON 14 | INT 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 13
    Skills|Spot -1|Listen -1|Ride +11|Appraise +3|Diplom. +3[/table]

Louis:
    {table] Louis| Commoner (teen) | - | LVL 1 | LG |Medium
    hp: 4/4 | 30ft | Spd | AC/T/FF | 13/9/14 | Chain Shirt
    Base Attack/Grapple -1 | Crossbow -1 ranged | 80ft | 1d8| 19-20/x2 | -1 Initiative |
    SV | Fort -1 | Ref -1 | Wil -1 ||
    STR 8 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | INT 8 | WIS 8 | CHA 8
    Skills|Ride +0|Listen -1|Spot -1|Climb +1
    [/table]
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-11-21 at 11:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

Regis

Regis takes a step back with a sigh Always has to be a fight. He snaps off a quick spell and a spinning whirling ring of blades spins out around him. He then draws his mace and steps into the Ogre Mage.

Spoiler
    Show
    {table] Regis | Human| Cleric | LVL 10 | N | Medium
    hp: 54/54 | | Spd 15(25)/30 fly | AC/T/FF | 22/9/22 | Full Plate (+2)
    Hvy Mace |+9/+4| d8 | 20/x2 |MW Lt. Crossbow (+7) | dmg: d8
    SV | Fort +8 | Ref +2 | Wil +11||-1 Init
    STR 14| DEX 8 | CON 12 | INT 10 | WIS 18 | CHA 14
    Skills|Spot +4|Listen+4|Heal+11|K: Arcana+5|K Religion+5
    [/table]

Conc for Casting Defensively (1d20+11)[18]

Move Action - 5 ft step to I5 (no AoO)

Standard Action: Defensively casting Ring of Blades {5ft ring of blades that do 1d6+10 per round to anyone adjacent to Regis, duration 10 rounds}

Free Action - Draw mace as part of move action, chat a little.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-11-22 at 02:23 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

[MAP]
    Spoiler
    Show

Ogre Mage: AC: 18 (-1 size, +5 natural, +4 chain shirt), touch 9, flat-footed 18. HP: 19/55

Louis starts to run past the massive ogre forgetting what his mentor has taught him about fighting and leaving one's flank open (AoO). The Ogre swings his sword at Louis's exposed flank. The sword tears into Louis's back dropping the poor boy. Blood gushes out of his back as he falls to the ground unconscious. Throshkar realizes that the wound might of killed the young boy, but it seems that fate has let him live for he can see the rise and fall of the Louis's chest. The boy will most likely survive to fight again.

The ogre mage takes a five foot step back, the creatures massive body stands above the fire making him a fearful sight. He then unloads a cone of cold upon Throshkar and Regis (reflex DC 18 for half). The cold bursts forth from his hand filling a quarter of the chamber in just a few seconds. The image of the gnome flicker as the cold hit is but all you can hear is giggling as the cold bites your skin (41 dmg).

[OOC: Did Regis's blades hit the ogre last round? I was not sure so i subtracted 13 (i rolled a 3)]
    Spoiler
    Show

AoO (1d20+7)[25] - DMG = (It not really fair fight for a commoner vs an Ogre mage so Louis will live but badly scared).

(1d20+11)[29] casting defensively
    (9d6)[41] cone of cold

Last edited by crimson77; 2008-11-22 at 03:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"Louis! Take care, boy--!" The cavalier's cry is cut short by the ogre's brutal slash against the young squire. The beast laughs and steps back, launching a frigid magical attack on Throshkar and Regis, but the blond warrior grits his teeth against the cold, burning rage within. Louis' mother appears briefly before him, looking worried as he flippantly promises the bakerwoman her son will rise to fame and glory.

"On these wings, Louis...!" His sword flashes again, one-two, crunch-mash -- bone and sinew tremble before him. "You fall before your better, craven magician! You fall!!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex +4 (DC18): (d20+4)[19]
    Throshkar resists, takes 20 damage.

Attack #1: [roll]d20+14[/dice] - Damage: (d10+9)[11]
    Attack #2: [roll]d20+9[/dice] - Damage: (d10+9)[17]

I just confirmed that Power Attack takes points off all attacks in a round and adds to all damages; can't restrict it to just one. I've removed 2 from the attack rolls and added 4 to damage rolls. How much damage did you apply from Throshkar's attack last round?

Stat blocks in the second spoiler.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Throshkar:
    {table] Throshkar | Human | Cavalier | LVL 10 | LG | Medium
    hp: 50/84 | | Spd | AC/T/FF | 16/10/16 | Banded Mail, mw
    +1 Bastard Sword | +16/+11 | 1d10+5 | 17-20/x2 | No ranged atk
    SV | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Wil +2||
    STR 15 | DEX 12 | CON 14 | INT 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 13
    Skills|Spot -1|Listen -1|Ride +11|Appraise +3|Diplom. +3[/table]

Louis:
    {table] Louis| Commoner (teen) | - | LVL 1 | LG |Medium
    hp: --/4 | 30ft | Spd | AC/T/FF | 13/9/14 | Chain Shirt
    Base Attack/Grapple -1 | Crossbow -1 ranged | 80ft | 1d8| 19-20/x2 | -1 Initiative |
    SV | Fort -1 | Ref -1 | Wil -1 ||
    STR 8 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | INT 8 | WIS 8 | CHA 8
    Skills|Ride +0|Listen -1|Spot -1|Climb +1
    [/table]
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-11-22 at 08:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops, screwed up my attack/damage rolls above:
    Attack #1: (d20+14)[23] - Damage: (d10+9)[13]
    Attack #2: (d20+9)[20] - Damage: (d10+9)[19]
    And with those rolls, it doesn't much matter how the damage sorted out in the previous round. Booyah. Throshy like Power Attack!

I just confirmed that Power Attack takes points off all attacks in a round and adds to all damages; can't restrict it to just one. I've removed 2 from the attack rolls and added 4 to damage rolls.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-11-22 at 08:58 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

The creature falls to the ground away from the fire from the last attack by the cavalier. A stillness falls over the room as everyone's eyes fall upon the badly wounded Louis.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

Throshkar steps up to the ogre, confirming its death, before wheeling around to face the gnome wizard. Without taking his eyes off their "host", he says to Regis, "Good cleric -- can you assist my Louis? He yet breathes, but I am not sure how long he may survive such-such a wound..." His voice catches only slightly.

Once Regis begins his healing magic, Throshkar will walk up to the gnome and simply stand there, the ogre's blood still dripping from his sword. His smile grows as Louis stirs behind him. "Mm... Mom? comes the weak voice.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-11-22 at 11:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Throshkar is uncertain if the ogre is completely dead. However, it does not look like it is playing possum.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"Be ready, Regis -- the gnome may yet revive our challenger."

Spoiler
    Show
    Anything I can roll? Seems a seasoned warrior should be able to tell. I didn't have him stab the ogre because I wasn't sure if it would take a combat action to do so... guess I had him move, though, so it's the same thing. Eh, I'll stick with this way. Maybe Regis will be the cold-blooded killah and open his jugular for us.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyranojoe View Post
    Anything I can roll?
    [Heal DC 15 or Knowledge Nature DC 15]
    Spoiler
    Show
    From what you can tell the creature is dead.

[Spot DC 20]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice that the creatures wounds seem to be healing themselves.

Knowledge Arcana DC 18
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ogre Mages regenerate. One needs to remove the head from the body for at least 10 minutes or burn the remains

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

Throshkar deLaBlanche

"...but at least the might of my arm was sufficient to slay the beast -- it would take tremendous power to resurrect it!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal:(d20+1)[18]
    He's got no training in the relevant knowledge skills, and can't meet a DC20 on Spot.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-11-23 at 12:13 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

The gnome sits there watching you. You are not sure if he is mesmerized by your swift destruction of his henchman or if he has something else planned for you.

[ooc: I am waiting for Grayen to post; but CJ you are welcome to add something more.]
    Last edited by crimson77; 2008-11-23 at 12:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269

Regis

Regis shouts "Gah!" as the ice shoots out from the Ogre Mage.

A moment later he spends a moment is concentration, a wave of healing pulses out from him. Healing Throsh, Louis, and Regis all the same.

He then pauses to examine the Ogre Mage, the spinning and whirling blades biting into the corpse again as he moves.

Hey Sir knight. These wounds seem to be a healing themselves, like a trolls. You got something ta fix that? He says stepping back to allow room for Throshkar to work. Casting another curative spell on himself as he does so. [will roll OOC]
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-11-23 at 01:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

The gnome seems disappointed now that Regis has pointed out that the Ogre is healing. "Let the Ogre live if you do not mind. It is rather had to find good henchmen. You have passed the challenges and I will deliver you to the dragon. Do you need a nights rest before we leave? Or would you rather travel now?"