New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Roots of True Evil

Ashka

Ashka watched as the others introduced themselves, then swept easily to her feet and moved a few paces away from everyone, frowning. Obviously, she was out of practice with lowly deception, and it was o wonder that these people were immune to her charms, skilled as they were.

Reaching up to her hair, she grasped the Amulet of Undetectable Alignment she had there and banished it, letting her coal tresses fall around her shoulders. Holding a hand in the air, her twisted tiara appeared in a shower of sparks, and she placed it regally upon her head.

"Keen, Archmage Geladil. Very well. I am Ashka Varmori, Empress of Calladia."
    Last edited by Virgo; 2008-08-17 at 02:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikai

The tall, shadowy young man laughed softly, his eyes glinting slightly. Ahh. the empress dispossessed? An old tale, but a good one, and one I know well. I would guess that it was you who called us, but the dreams did not feel like they would be your handiwork...

3. - Top - End - #33

Ashka

Ashka sniffed in distste and gave Nikai a withering look.
    "I don't dabble with petty dreams and summonings, although perhaps this group may yet prove useful to me."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Kirik

Kirik nodded at Nikai after his introduction, and was taken a bit aback by Aska's introduction. "Empress of Calladia?" He shook his head. "I am unfamiliar with the name. However, it seems that, amongst ourselves, we have a very unusual assortment of talents and backrounds." A slight glimmer came into his eye. "Oh, this is going to be fun."
    Please clicky:

Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:
    Aryil in Islands of Destiny
    Kirik the Traveller in The Dark Roots of True Evil
    Rune, Warforged Cleric in Crime and Punishment

Knight of Jerusalem by Nevitan

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikai

Nikai gave her a long, cool look, giving a soft, chilling little laugh Do not be so quick to discount dreamcraft... Perhaps you'd give it more weight if I were to walk in your dreams and see what lies beneath the dissemblance... or find what haunts your nightmares.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

OOC: Post will be up by midnight, continue congregating.

7. - Top - End - #37

Ashka

"And perhaps, Master Shadow, your arrogance will be curtailed when you find that the only shadows that remain for you are the depths of the canyons of Nessus, and the only dreams the lethargic, wracking pain of mindless lemures."

Ashka gestured flippantly. "But! We ought not fight: it is unbecoming. And working at cross-purposes will hinder us far more than our united front would hinder that bastard Iuz." She waved her hand at the tower, and the darkness that lay behind it. "Once we have dispensed with the false demigod, we can tear each other to pieces."
    Last edited by Virgo; 2008-08-17 at 04:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Julius

So my intuition was correct, after all...

"You are wise, milady. 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend', as it seems. Well, if we do really have the same objectives, uniting is the best option, considering the foe that we are against. Let's do our best."
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikai

Nikai laughed again at Ashka's threats, his eyes still containing a cool, contemptuous amusement. Nevertheless, he nodded in agreement. Agreed. I have seen what the Old One's dream's hold... Despite himself, he paled and shuddered a little at the memory. And I would not care to walk those nightmare paths again. What is worse is the knowledge that he has the powers to make those dreams a reality.

10. - Top - End - #40

Ashka

Nodding at the four men each in turn, Ashka skipped the preliminary plesantries and waved her hands, invoking a number of spells.

As an illusory image appeared before the five, her black clothing became more efficient, retaining the evidence of its incredible handiwork while flowing up her arms and her legs to end as an off-the shoulder gown with a higher hem, reducing the garment's bulk to a minimum.

"The chief concern for me is that Iuz has gained enormous strength- divine strength, and strength that even my magic can't yet challenge." She looked at Geladil. "I imagine you face a similar issue. The combined strength of the five of us may prove to be more than he can sufficiently deflect, but over the course of my travels an interesting possibility has come to my attention."

The illusion floating in the air resolved itself into nine rocky layers of earth, and flowed smoothly into and enlargement of the second layer from the top.
    "I share certain... predilictions with Glasya, Archduchess of the sixth layer of Baator, and as such have had the opportunity to spend time in Malborge as an honored guest. On the second layer of hell, in the city of Dis, there's an area called 'God Street', through which the divine realms of a number of Evil gods can be entered. Even if Iuz doesn't maintain a presence there, we may find a clue as to his undoing."

She paused, frowning, and summoned up the image of a tall, darkly handsome man. "The duke of the layer is Dispater, and we'd have to petition him for access, unless someone has a particular knack for divine spellcasting."

She looked at her companions. "Or a better idea."

Spoiler
    Show
    Woo plotting. I'm mostly just throwing ideas out there, no pressure to like them. I'm pulling my info on Baator from Fiend Folio II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells, which can no doubt be found in pdf form if you care.
    Last edited by Virgo; 2008-08-17 at 06:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Kirik

Kirik listened quietly to the conversation, simply watching his new comrades and attempting to understand each of them as well as he can.
    Last edited by Leon Stormchild; 2008-08-17 at 04:51 PM.
    Please clicky:

Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikai

Eyeing the illusion, Nikai had to admit that it was good work. He tapped his chin slightly, recalling all that his foster father had told him about the Baatezu. As a rule, he tended to avoid the dreams of the creatures of the lower planes - they were almost entirely unpleasant, and such beings were both strong of will and prone to react badly to others invading the sanctity of their dreamspace - still, he had visited once or twice, and he had even once glimpsed from afar the dream-realm of Asmodeus - but the sounds and sights he had glimpsed there had convinced him that to enter such a place was likely to condemn himself to a fate far worse than death. He remembered, too, the flavors of the other dream-realms of the Nine - such places were too grandiose and too potent to be missed while traveling that way, though he had never ventured into any of them - he knew of no reward he might find within that was worth the risk.

After a moment's reminiscence, he spoke up Hmmm.. I can imagine what those predilictions might be. He laughed softly I know more than a few Sensates and hedonists in the dream-markets who would likely pay sums beyond imagination for what I might bottle from your dreamspace, your Highness. He grinned softly But enough banter... Though I know less of the Lords Infernal than yourself, I'm sure, I think that the Iron Duke will not grant us leave freely - if nothing else, he will guess our need and seek to extract from us more than we would gain. It would amuse him, if for no other purpose.

13. - Top - End - #43

Ashka

Ashka smirked at the spculation on her tastes. He was, of course, quite correct. Perhaps he would learn firsthand, someday...

In the meantime, she remained focused, brushing her beguiling nature aside in favore of her imperious side. "As a matter of fact, I imagine the greatest problem with securing passage would actually be meeting with Dispater and convincing him that our intentions towards him are benign. As you have bo doubt heard, he's quite paranoid, and Glasya's elevation to Archduchess has done little to assuage that tendency."

She considered further. "And I suppose, yes, he'd want your soul, or a service, or some such trifle. It's the habit of most Baatezu."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Geladil

Studying the issulion of the levels of hell(it is hell right?) the female, he is not quite sure what she is yet but she was extremely interested in striking a blow against the Devils of the Nine Hells. Too interested. The wizard was not even sure of the devils were responsible for this reign of darkness over the world. "I believe we would be acting hastily to attack the devils within their homeland so quickly. We do not yet know the extent of their power or their place in the darkness overtaking us. Travelling to the Nine Hells is no small matter and should not be taken lightly."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikai

Nikai laughed at Geladil's statement, so outrageous it seemed to him Attack Dispater in his fortress? Oh aye.. we'll all just scale mount Celestia and steal the power of all the gods while we're at it... we were speaking of entering the city of Dispater to investigate a possible connection to Iuz's realm. We were trying to figure a way into the city with Dispater's permission, not assault it.

16. - Top - End - #46

Ashka

Ashka returned the illusion to the view of all nine layers of Hell and let them float in midair, gently spinning. She considered alternate ways to get to God Street, lost in thought but open to suggestion.
    Last edited by Virgo; 2008-08-17 at 07:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As the images of the nine hells floated in front of you, they begin to waver, and flicker. Shortly after this happens they dissapear entirely and you now find yourself looking upon a man. He is a tall man, with very broad shoulders. He has long limbs, which are covered (Along with his entire body) by flowing robes. The robes are of a dark green color, and are securely fastened around his waist by a thick, hardy belt. As you look him up and down the only other things you see on his person are a pair of boots, that look very worn, as you see their color, which was once a dark brown has faded into a tanish color. He is also holding a large gnarled looking wooden staff, although those magicly inclined can see it radiating very powerful, ancient magics. He appears to be in his early fifties possibly, although he could be older. He has short black hair, which is now greying along the sides and there are speckles of grey in the midst of the top most tuft of his hair. He wears a goatee on his face, once again black speckled with grey and white. It is neatly trimmed, and is possibly the only thing about him that shows signs of neatness or order. His face looks worn, and tired. He bears no visible scars, but the look in his eyes shows a look of... almost contempt; anger even.

He pauses as he appears and looks around at the five of you. He looks angry.

At first he lets out a chuckle, half heartedly, then abruptly stops himself.

Fools... God Street. Have you mortals yet to learn the limits of your powers? I could slay you yet with a snap of my fingers- His hand not holding the staff raises, and suddenly all of you feel a slight feeling of concern deep inside of you. He stops his hand, and slowly puts it back down.

Pitiful... I summoned all of you here because I thought that you were each unique. You each bear powers like none to have come before you, or at least to a greater level than any before you. But to think of stealing power from the gods themselves, who with a single thought could simply erase you from existence... Terrible... But yet, you are all young, and as far as my concern reaches, inexperience in what must be done.

He taps his staff to the ground twice and suddenly you feel yourself pulled hard. Very hard. Like a rope pulling you from the inside, and with a flash of light find yourself inside of a well lit chamber. An ante-chamber actually, as you recognize from the material of the walls that you must now be inside the tower. The room is very well furnished, tapestries hang from the walls, and there is a large, polished and stained oak table in the room. It is six sided, and each inividual side has a large chair in front of it.

Please, sit. The man moves himself to the largest looking chair, a large chair made of a dark wood, covered with a plush red upholstery, and golden tassles coming from the side. As he sits at the table, and pulls his chair in, the other five chairs move back to make room for you, and as you look down, fine silver plates and ware appear in front of you, alongside fine golden goblets, with intricate carvings covering them. The plates and goblets fill themselves as you move towards them and sit, and the food and drink looks surprisingly appetizing.

I apologize for the harsh transport, but I could not risk one or more of you resisting the spell. My apologies. As for introductions, my name is Othello, and from hearing you all talk, I conclude that the five of you have already met, or at least introduced yourselves. Great. Now down to the matter at hand. He takes a long pause and sets upon his goblet and downs the liquid inside.

You seem to be finding yourself hung up upon one of the matters or problems that we all now face. This Great War is a grand event indeed, and the aggressors of it are many, which you seem to forget. The Demon demi-god is a powerful foe indeed. And in the north, he is a direct foe at that. But he is still yet a mortal much like the rest of us, and as such can be dealt with. His power however is not to be under estimated. Also, remember that after the cataclysmic events that caused the great Rift Crag to form, the gods no longer directly interfere with humanity, giving Iuz not enough divine sway. Yet. His power grows though, and every day I feel his presence moving from the north. You must not however forget the other powers, for while one man can be strong, a nation can only be stronger. The fiends of the Great Kingdom, under that twisted Ivid the Undying still hold power in the east, and the demented Scarlet Brotherhood is finally being realized as the power it should be. We hold many options in front of us, yet which of them to be dealt with first in unkown. He pauses again, his eyes sinking to the table as he takes a long deep breath.

This... he gestures his hand aroung, pointing to the walls of the room you are in.
    Is my home. And is one of the last lines of defense on the northern borders of our war. Many know of this place as Hadral Hall, or the Black Spire. Many other names surround it, but I still call it home, and I have made sure that this place will be a continuous thorn in the side of those who try to combat it. So please, before I continue ranting, tell me of what you think is the most direct threat in this furthering campaign before I continue with what I must say.

Spoiler
    Show
    I appreciate the attempt at plotting, but I've got a lot of ideas. Keep it in the library though, we might use it later on.
    Last edited by Othello; 2008-08-17 at 11:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikai

Nikai accepted the rebuke silently. His own thoughts on the matter he kept close - this was obviously a creature of great potency; there was no point in antagonizing him. He took in everything he had to say, then nodded. As to the credibility of my powers, and those of the others... I suppose we shall see. The question then becomes: what purpose did you have for us? There are many threats, as you say, but how do we combat them? If you have chosen to... call us here, I assume you have a specific reason?

19. - Top - End - #49

Ashka

Ashka kept her head low as she listened to the man... the god... the being before them. He was powerful, there was no doubt about that. Powerful enough, she though ruefully, that any trick I might have up my sleeve would no doubt prove ineffective.

After he was finished, she stood from her chair and began to pace around the perimiter of the room, sweeping up her goblet with her. Certainly, if he wanted to kill them he had far more expeditious methods than poison at his disposal. As she enjoyed the fine, dark wine that filled her cup, she nodded and corroborated on Nikai's thoughts.

"There are a number of directions we could head in. Personally, Iuz was the one who swept my kingdom out from underneath me, and I have no love for the chaotic endeavors of demonkind."

Her lips curled in dislike, and she took another sip of her wine.

"That said, no matter who we tackle first, given an opportunity I can twist their forces into our own armies. It is a task in which I am most proficient," there was a brief flicker of a stunning smile, before it was erased by the resolved and wicked grin of an Empress wronged "And in this manner each campaign will bolster our next efforts."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikai

Nikai grinned coldly I, too, can turn our enemies' forces against them... or at least, I can bring against them their own shadow-sides... their darker halves, their mirror selves... The minds of their leaders are open to me through their dreams... and I can move small strike forces anywhere we might need them by walking them through Shadow. His grin flickered And speaking of the Shadow... the denizens therein owe me allegiance. I could bring the creatures of shade against our enemies.

21. - Top - End - #51

Ashka

The devilish smile was back, and Ashka laid a hand on Nikai's shoulder, not out of any romantic impulse but a vicious glee.

"I do like you, Master Shadow."

22. - Top - End - #52

Geladil

Deep in thought, the Elf listens to what the others present have to say before he in turn speaks. "It is a difficult matter to decide who to oppose first, as we concentrate on one the others can gain power. But, we may not be able to attack our greatest foe at this time. We will have to chip away at his powerbase making careful headway. It is my suggestion we first tackle an enemy that we all know and have encountered in the past."
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

23. - Top - End - #53

Kirik

Kirik listened to the old man, quietly taking in all that he said. He listened to his new comrades, too, and some things suprised him a little, others didn't. After Geladil spoke up, he turned to the elven mage and said, "I agree that a shared foe would be a good starting place." He turns to the mage. "I would, however, be interested in hearing what our host believe to be the most dire threat."
    Please clicky:

Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Julius

Julius listens to the conversation at hand, casually scratching the scar on his eyes, as if that cleared his head. As Kirik spoke, Julius followed, agreeing with the fellow swordsman:

"I would also like to hear what our host has in mind. I am a simple warrior, I do not possess great powers like most of you, or knowledge about the planes and our enemies. However, I seek answers that I believe I can find deep inside the darkness that is covering our lands. For that, I will lend you my strenght, which is all that I have."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Othello looked up from his plate and swiftly ruftled his hand through his hair.

What I believe to be our most dire threat is our lack of organization. Every decade, throughout the last hundred years i've noticed the pockets of evil in this land growing. Here and there, across the country. The Bone Marj, Iuz, the Great Kingdom. They all grew from something, or nothing rather to what now could completely overthrow another kingdom. How did it get to be that great of a problem? How could man sit idly by and let this happen? It's a question I've asked myself numerous times, and have yet to come up with an answer. And I've had a long time to think about it.

Right now the major threats are like I've said. Iuz to the north, the Scarlet Brother Hood to the south, and the Great Kingdom to the East. Way your three options of action, or who to combat against, and keep realistic. Do not think you can steal the gods power, nor invade the dreams of Iuz willingly. Do not underestimate our enemies, nor assume alliance with those unwilling. It is a dark time that we face here, and our options will affect this war.

OOC Side-note: I will not be posting until this up coming saturday. Think things over to then, and keep it realistic. You are high level characters. You are not gods... yet.

26. - Top - End - #56

OOC: Othello, who is the greatest threat to Elvish lands?

27. - Top - End - #57

OOC: I think I need a little more info about each faction before I can make up my mind, Othello. Any further info you could offer would be great.

Also, bear in mind that Ashka is arrogant. She wasn't proposing stealing divine power, but finding its weakness, and she may overstate her abilities anyway.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikai

Nikai looked back at Ashka, a light smile on his face and cooly arching one eyebrow as he looked at the hand laid on his shoulder. He was somewhat flattered by the attention, of course, but he had seen enough of the woman's nature not to trust it overmuch. After a moment, he returned his focus to the more important matter at hand.

If that is true, then perhaps the best option we can take at first is not one of aggression, but of solidification. Even as mighty as we are, we cannot hope to win a war on so many fronts on our own. Perhaps we should seek to form a firmer alliance between those who still resist the rule of darkness.

That said, we do not necessarily have to focus on one enemy entirely. If other options are unavailable, I can move us with exceeding swiftness through the Shadow, or, if even that route proves guarded, through the Dream itself. The arts of the dreamwalker are rare indeed - I have never met another of my kind from our world, so that the route is rarely protected against. It does, however, have its own hazards. The realms of dream are not like the physical realm, nor even the outer planes which are shaped by belief... they are wholly strange, even those of creatures familiar to ourselves... But I know how to walk those paths in relative safely, and to guide others.
    He paused

But I digress. What do the rest of you think? Personally, I favor the first option - trying to win unified support. After we have established a firmer alliance, we can move to the offense with the knowledge that we have a strong network of support behind us.

29. - Top - End - #59

Ashka

Ashka nodded, taking another sip of her wine.
    "I would support an alliance of some sort with the remaining powers of the world- certainly, they ought to recognize that we do them a favor by confronting these threats." She paused, considering.

"I could still offer my negotiating and pursuasive abilities, but I would have to adopt a different face for the task. An insignificant hurdle, given my magical talents, but one to consider. Some who are familiar with my rule of Calladia take issue with my... methods."
    Last edited by Virgo; 2008-08-19 at 09:41 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Julius

"Yes, a supporting network would be of use. I'm not skilled in persuading people, but if needed I could try it. I prefer to be on the battlefield, though."

Julius continued eating his food, thinking about the weird combination of people that he met in the day. Truly awesome people, I should be cautious with what I say and do near them.
    Last edited by Silverkiss; 2008-08-20 at 04:41 PM.