New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default (v3.5)Question on the rules

Two questions actually, one with higher BaB do warlocks get more eldritch blasts? The other question is if a player plays a creature with a LA and the creature in question has levels in somthing likee monsterous humanoid are those levels figured into the LA?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Laziness is oft looked down upon by society. It is an ideal of utter slacking and procrastination. Only the least lively have what it takes to become truly undedicated. I have embraced these ideals and have been utterly rewarded by the gods of do nothing. How they managed to get off their divine bottoms boggles my mind, but they did. It was in the form of their divine messenger that I now have an avatar, so thanks to you Mr_Saturn. The gods have used your despicable lack of lazy against you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (v3.5)Question on the rules

Hey there. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87867 exists for questions like this, just sayin'

As for your questions, I'm not one of the Rules Gurus, so I'm sorta outta my league here, but I think the answers are as follows:

1. Warlocks don't get more eldritch blasts as they gain iterative attacks. I was under the impression that you get one blast a turn... I think.

2. I'm not sure what you are asking here. If you mean, "Does taking more monster HD factor into LA?" then yes, I think so.

Hope this helps!

-argus
    Last edited by arguskos; 2008-08-18 at 08:52 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

1. No. Eldritch Blast is a Standard Action to use. You must take a Full Attack Action to get more attacks for having a high BAB, and you cannot make any special attacks requiring a standard action during a full attack. Allowing a Warlock to use multiple Eldritch Blasts for a high BAB would be the same as allowing any other spellcaster to cast multiple spells each round for having a high BAB.

2. A Monster's Effective Character Level is its Racial Hit Dice plus its Level Adjustment. For example, a Troll PC could not start play any lower than level 11, because it has a +5 LA and 6 racial HD, for an ECL of 11. He would count as an 11th level character without any class levels, and additional class levels would be taken after that. Racial hit dice are never optional, if a creature has them, then a PC of that race must also take them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

If you take the "Eldritch Glaive"-invocation though, you can use Eldritch Glaive in melee, and the Glaive deals Blast-damage and does get iteratives.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Where is that invocation from? Is it in C. Arcane, cause if so, I keep not seeing it...

-argus

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterMe View Post
    Two questions actually, one with higher BaB do warlocks get more eldritch blasts?
    No. Eldritch Blast is a spell-like ability, which is a standard action, so you can only do one per round.

There are two exceptions, however. First, you can pick up Quicken Spell-Like Ability (from the Monster Manual) to cast Eldritch Blast as a swift action 1/day, but you have to be 10th level before you can quicken a basic Eldritch Blast, which counts as a 1st level spell.

The much more common method is to take Eldritch Glaive (Dragon Magic, p. 82) which allows you to make multiple melee attacks as a full-round action.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterMe View Post
    The other question is if a player plays a creature with a LA and the creature in question has levels in somthing likee monsterous humanoid are those levels figured into the LA?
    No, it doesn't count towards LA, but it does have to be accounted for as part of the ECL. Character Level = Class Level + racial hit dice. Character Level + Level Adjustment = Effective Character Level.

And yeah, it's confusing and I don't know why they did it that way.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Where is that invocation from? Is it in C. Arcane, cause if so, I keep not seeing it...

-argus
    Dragon Magic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

It's in Dragon Magic. Ironic how even after all this time of using it, I didn't even remember the source.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.