New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Gods of a New Star [IC]

They fled a dying world ravaged by war. They were given the spark of divinity by a Power only known as the Wyrm, whose grand plan is still a mystery. They were transported far away, perhaps in another universe, to an ancient planet orbiting a small, yellow sun. In the past, this world had been abundant and prosperous. Now, nothing but ruins remained of the advanced civilizations that lived there. Entire forests were cut down or burned. The overexploitation of land caused the degradation of once fertile plains. It is up to the new Powers to take care of this fragile planet.

They are the Gods of a New Star.

When they first open their eyes, the gods are floating in the emptiness of space. Suddenly, they feel something solid under their feet and realize they are standing on a massive rock. None of them recognize the constellations. What's more, a whole section of the night sky seems to be missing. But the truth is even more shocking; those stars aren't missing, they are obscured by a colossal shadow in the shape of a serpent. The godlings feel an aura of overwhelming power coming from this beast and can't help but cower. Only then do they realize they are not alone. There are fifteen gods present forming a semicircle.

A tiny draconic creature appears at the center of the group.

"You'll get used to it. Don't worry, he's not a bully. My name is Calix. I speak for the Wyrm, our master and god. Your are now in the realm of Sunyata, the Void, or, more precisely, on an asteroid belt simply called the Tail. Behind you, you can see the planet that is gonna be your home."

The pseudodragon pauses for a moment to gauge their reaction.

"The source of all things divine is here, in Sunyata. Each of you has been given access to a well of power. Those are the focal points of the ambient energies of the plane. They are not material, so don't waste your time trying to find another well.

Be warned: you are not the first gods to walk this world. Beings far more experienced than you have been entirely consumed by this power. You are now taking over their portfolio. Remember to be careful if you want to keep that from happening to you.

Any questions?"

((OOC: Please write the name of your god in bold at the top of each post, as well as the god you're interacting with in said post. Keep the OOC talk at it's minimum here; there's another thread for that. If you really have to, write any OOC comment in a spoiler box at the bottom of your post.))
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2008-09-13 at 12:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Gods of a New Star [IC]

Alrinach

Alrinach's grey eyes trace the outline of the giant serpent, half in wonder, and half in blind terror. What was going on? He had a dim recollection of some sort of great battle, or catastrophe, or... No, it was gone.

He listened to Calix speak and looked at the odd assortment of beings that joined him on the rock. Then, as Calix spoke of the energies of the plane, Alrinach's passive awareness of his being was upset, and he was blinded for a moment as something within him shifted, and changed. There was a sense that he was engulfed in chaos, and he felt as if he were drowning, falling deeper and deeper into a whorl of shifting colors, until a bright white light flashed within his skull and everything he saw became... Sharper, somehow. Keener, and more precise. He looked at the stars and saw the orderly components of their burning, extrapolated out for times untold, and watched phantom lights trace their ways across the sky before finally extinguishing.

His movements, from the perspective of others on the asteroid, became suddenly precise, and his face drained of color, becomeing a very pale, statue-like visage, from which the emotions of his former, human incarnation slipped without a trace.

Alrinach, the Lord of Law, stood silent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alrinach will speak in grey, although he didn't say anything this post.
    Last edited by Virgo; 2008-09-13 at 12:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Lupin

Confounded by his new form, that of a halfman - halfwolf, Lupin wasn't helped by the strange new reality apparently set upon him. Looking around at the other figures, he was naturally confused by the unbelievable turns of events, asks the mysterious little draconic figure for an explanation:

"So wait, you're telling me that suddenly we've got incredible powers that we can do what we want with in that little planet down there?"

Without getting a response, a wicked grin spreads across the wolf's face.

"When can we start?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Polaris

Polaris stares into the stars and into the planet, in wonder. Then her eyes go through every being in the asteroid, stopping at the huge shadow above all. Then, she smiles and her eyes turn back to the little planet.

"Another opportunity we've been given, it seems."

Spoiler
    Show

Damn you for stealing my grey ! Now I'll speak in Deep Sky Blue
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Celis
    indeed, when may we see our domain? and is there any life there?
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The god of the Protoss collased in his shadow form enough to make himself visible the wisps, and smoke of the area collasing to create his form a long wicked scmitar forming in the genral area of where his hand should be. He examined the group with critical glowing yellow eyes taking in each of the gods forms, and accesing each of them before he spoke.

"I see each of you has taken to this new power in your own way. I merely intend to recreate my peoples, and lead them to great heights of prowess in the name of Auir."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Gargax

The great lich surveyed his surroundings. He saw some of the others look upon the grand shadow with fear, but Gargax looked upon the massive creature with respect tinged indifference. Even in his old unlife, fear had been an emotion unused to the point of alienation, and even now such feelings bore no effect on his. He looked upon his own form, he had changed little since the old world.

Though he was sure he was as a child compared to the towering shrouded form, compared to the rest of these mortals-made-gods, he was truly Ancient. Indeed, he had been almost as old as the gods of the old world themselves... though he could not recall them... troubling the thought drifted through his mind, and he knew it was true.

Finally he spoke, his aged bones making cracking and popping noises as his jaw worked. It moved with little regard to the actual sound emanating from it, and it seemed as a great abyss instead of a mouth. Rotted air and a dread chill, accompanied by the odd blue flames that glowed in his eyes drifted out of his mouth as he spoke. If such experienced gods died from the powers at work in this aged place, why select newborn gods to keep this fragile world from dying, or did their failure resemble that of our old world, and you hope that as the survivors of such tragedy, we would work to avoid such a thing from happening during our stewardship?

Spoiler
    Show
    Gargax shall speak in Blue though its not the same shade as his immortal flames, think of those as a combination of normal blue fire, and sort of a turquoise/cyan/teal fire, kind of like ice but fiery, I hope that helps
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2008-09-13 at 02:27 PM.
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Cyrus

Cyrus takes in the others standing around him, listening quietly. He glances occassionally at the shadow above them, but always looks away quickly. He finds his gaze drawn to the planet below. His mind begins whirling, thinking of how he could make things better. He looks over at Calix. "Yes, what sort of life is on the planet? And does the planet have a name?"
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

9. - Top - End - #9

Erothayce

Erothayce stands still and says nothing, simply taking in the surroundings and thinking on how strange the universe the can be. Finally he spoke, ""Yes. I too wish to know the manner of life and the way this planet was destroyed. What makes us better candidates than the others who came before. And where did we come from?"
    Awesome avatar made by Arokh

I have a love affair with cycling.

2789 Miles cycled Since the end of March 2009. Many more to come.

erothayce.tumblr.com

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Saradinus and Baldier

Saradinus was curious. "I am, curious, so curious. I sense powerful mental ability here." He looks at the Protoss. "I feel as if you do not belong here. As if you are of another world. Do any of us?" (Little Star Craft joke.)

Saradinus attempted to survey all the land in the world through a conjured, floating blue orb."Ah yaku tarraganno, du ya sharahdath". He muttered to himself. "What is this world to us?"

"Dragon god, I must know.... how do we make sure not to restrict the mortals to one planet? I feel this is an unnecessary restriction on both the gods and the mortals to come."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Baldier

Baldier felt the mental precnse of the one who spoke to him, and the shining star that was his mind. He would have to keep an eye on that one. It could become rather interesting.

"Restrictions are unnessscary, and illoigcal why restrain those who follow us; when we can allow them to floruish under our guiding hand?"

12. - Top - End - #12

Alrinach

Swiveling his head, Alrinach looked at Saradinus and Baldier and spoke in a dry, flat voice as he surveyed the rest of the godlings, taking stock of each.

"Restriction is a necessary component to Order. Indeed, it is right that beings flourish under a guiding hand- but to be an effective guide, we must restrict aspects of instability and Chaos. Let what mortal children you may desire grow in temperance and security, and they will grow stronger for it."
    Last edited by Virgo; 2008-09-13 at 04:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Alrinach

Swiveling his head, Alrinach looked at Saradinus and Baldier and spoke in a dry, flat voice as he surveyed the rest of the godlings, taking stock of each.

"Restriction is a necessary component to Order. Indeed, it is right that beings flourish under a guiding hand- but to be an effective guide, we must restrict aspects of instability and Chaos. Let what mortal children you may desire grow in temperance and security, and they will grow stronger for it."
    "I mean restriction of movement, oh creature. Not law and order. We need no restrictions of being on this Prime. It is indeed best for all of our ability and essential for us to grow if we could spread out a little. A thorn bush is not a good place for a pheonix."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Gargax

Gargax's head turned slowly towards Alrinach and he spoke in an oddly dispassionate way, given his words, again the dry/wet smell of rot and cold wafted from Gargax's mouth. Temperence and Order are well and true, however, too much order and you risk sheltering your followers. A little Chaos is necessary, for without Chaos why should order exist? What better temperance for a mortal race than to face Chaos with the power of Law to help guide and shield them? And of course, if you create too many restrictions, too many LAWS... and you risk rebellion...
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2008-09-13 at 04:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Asmodeus View Post
    Gargax

Gargax's head turned slowly towards Alrinach and he spoke in an oddly dispassionate way, given his words, again the dry/wet smell of rot and cold wafted from Gargax's mouth. Temperence and Order are well and true, however, too much order and you risk sheltering your followers. A little Chaos is necessary, for without Chaos why should order exist? What better temperance for a mortal race than to face Chaos with the power of Law to help guide and shield them? And of course, if you create too many restrictions, too many LAWS... and you risk rebellion...
    "Yes. This is true. Although I am unsure as to whether you are of light or not, what you say is right. Law and disorder are not very moral concepts, though they do carry some use to them in and of themselves. Freedom is a high value, essential to any beautiful civilization."

16. - Top - End - #16

Alrinach

Alrinach inclined his head mechanically and acknowledged Saradinus' earlier point, but remaines impassive to his latter defense of freedom and to Gargax.

"If Chaos must exist, yes, it is best that it be a tool of law, or an impending state. But to actualize it within a society would be an abomination."

He narrowed his eyes, a vestige of humanity that would no doubt fade as his divine portfolio erased the last bits of his former self and metamorphosized him into a vessel of his function.

"I think, Lord Skeleton, you misunderstand my concern of Law: perfect Law is not merely political, but the entire anchor of a stable civilization- by definition, any law that would incite popular instability like rebellion is an affront to perfect Law, and ought not be instituted."

Spoiler
    Show

Alrinach understands Law like an economist: anything that drives towards stability contributes to perfect Law, and anything that would cause chaos detracts from it. (Remember, being a god of Fate as well, Alrinach will massivly extrapolate from present parameters to predict what will and what won't contribute, however small, to chaos.) As such, he's unconcerned with the emotional element of rebellion, because he thinks he can predict and forestall subversive elements (if you've read Brave New World, you have a pretty good idea of what his philosophy is.
    Also, he's arrogant.

For clarification, look at how he capitalizes: "Law" refers to the overall concept of stability and order, and "law" refers to anything temporal, like a political mandate.
    Last edited by Virgo; 2008-09-13 at 04:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"As a creature of Good, and Magic, even Life, I understand Law perfectly. There is no reason to pervert the force of Law into a mere tool of cleansing the souls of mortals into a sterile, infertile crop that will serve no purpose."

"Good is its own law, surely a god of law can accomadate some essence of compassion into his system of ethics for consideration of how Order could be advanced."

18. - Top - End - #18

Alrinach

Alrinach waved his hand unconcernedly. "I have little interest in 'cleansing' the souls of mortals. And stability dictates that in this dynamic, I must of course accomidate your wishes. To do otherwise would no doubt harm the nacent world over which we will apparently watch. But emotion and morality are coefficients to be considered, arising naturally within the problem of civilization. Given the strength and presence of certain other variables, their value wil fluctuate and change. Where they may be imperative in some cases, in others they are fully irrelevant."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Gargax

Gargax began to understand better this creature of law. If he had the flesh left to express his emotions clearly, he'd be sneering. Fortunately he didn't and he pressed on speaking with Alrinach

You misunderstand me. Chaos is no more a tool of Law than Law a tool of Chaos. They can be used as means to an end, but to many they are an ends in themselves.

Gargax moves his clawed skeletal hand in a gesture of elaboration:

Moreover, as I said, too many laws and you will cause anger and discontent among those who must follow them, it is not merely the content of a law but the quantities of laws themselves. Unless directly made creatures of pure law or chaos or some other force, all beings are creatures of both Law AND Chaos. Too many laws and the people will grow restless and angry, too few and barbarism and un-civilization. And here in lies the crux of the problem with your argument: You advocate this... "Perfect Law" when perfection in any form is a concept out of the grasp of even the gods, trying to impose such a thing upon mortals is bound for failure.

20. - Top - End - #20

Alrinach

"I will concur that vast quantities of laws can be unnecessarly complex, and as such be an inifficent tool. Bearing that in mind, however, laws that are truly comprehensive and well crafted will by definition never become unnecessary or redundant. As for the idea that even gods can't comprehend or reach a perfect state of Law..."

Alrinach was silent for a moment, and his emotionless mouth twitched, in what perhaps would have been a human smile or chuckle.

"You don't speak for all of us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Alrinach, I'm happy to admit, is the illogical extreme (hence, personification) of Law, so he needs a mitigating factor. But he's perfectly capable of imagining and trying to effect what he believes is an ideal, Lawful system.
    Last edited by Virgo; 2008-09-13 at 05:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Ikassi

For a long time, she lay quietly in a corner listening to the other gods defend their abstract views of Law and Chaos. She learned much from these beings. As she crawled forward, her eyes shone a bright red. She lifted her bulk off the ground and addressed the other deities.

Chaos and Law...Law and Chaos

She clacked her mandibles together and slowly crawled around Alrinach and Gargax so as to look at them from the other side.

These forces...what are they without the other? Chaos is how reality turns, the way things are, the great...law of the universe. Perfection is sterile and this great force of Law will surely bring Chaos in it's wake. Are these two forces constants in the universe, or are they forever changing...back and forth and over. You cannot have the perfect Order, for it always sprouts Chaos which will grow like a weed. Likewise, Chaos cannot exist alone without Order as a foundation.

She exhaled, a sound like air hissing out of a tight hole that had not been opened for years. The smell of dust filled the air. She raised herself up to look down on the two and spoke in a much different tone of voice.

I am told you are gods, but I see children, flaunting these ideas to intimidate each other! Nothing I say or anything you say to each other will change what you believe, I can tell, but this world must endure as the old one could not. Surely you agree to that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley_ View Post
    Ikassi

For a long time, she lay quietly in a corner listening to the other gods defend their abstract views of Law and Chaos. She learned much from these beings. As she crawled forward, her eyes shone a bright red. She lifted her bulk off the ground and addressed the other deities.

Chaos and Law...Law and Chaos

She clacked her mandibles together and slowly crawled around Alrinach and Gargax so as to look at them from the other side.

These forces...what are they without the other? Chaos is how reality turns, the way things are, the great...law of the universe. Perfection is sterile and this great force of Law will surely bring Chaos in it's wake. Are these two forces constants in the universe, or are they forever changing...back and forth and over. You cannot have the perfect Order, for it always sprouts Chaos which will grow like a weed. Likewise, Chaos cannot exist alone without Order as a foundation.

She exhaled, a sound like air hissing out of a tight hole that had not been opened for years. The smell of dust filled the air. She raised herself up to look down on the two and spoke in a much different tone of voice.

I am told you are gods, but I see children, flaunting these ideas to intimidate each other! Nothing I say or anything you say to each other will change what you believe, I can tell, but this world must endure as the old one could not. Surely you agree to that.

"I propose" Interupted the wizard Saradinus. "That we inhabit more than this world." He thought of the universe. "The old gods surely would have had more room to grow without assimilation if only they had looked further, and...."
    "Please do not speak ill of eachother, any of you three. We need not battle one another over trivialities. Even those who claim superior maturity belittle themselves through bragging rights."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Gargax

His ire raised, Gargax turned slowly to the chittering creature, his skeletal and fleshless face unable to move naturally, begins to flow and shift as if it were flesh, until it is a deep frown. He looks up at Ikassi and speaks. His words are tinged with his great age. Speak not of that which you do not understand, CHILD. I am the Aged. Among all us mortals turned god, I am the eldest and I was the closest to achieving this... this power, without the aid of any other. He turned to Alrinach his skeletal face twitching and flowing into a passive, emotionless expression, his fangs glinting. Truth... Needs no Opinion.

To Saradinus he merely inclined his head.

24. - Top - End - #24

Alrinach

Alrinach raised his hands, palms outward, in a gesture to forestall further discussion on his part. Not visibly acknowledging Ikassi, he inclines his head in respectful detente to Gargax, recognizing the futility of further argument.

"It seems our introductions have been tardy. I am Alrinach, and I apologize if offense has been taken, Lord Skeleton."

He looked into the middle-distance, evaluating the portfolios so recently sprung into his mind.

"I am the functionary of Law and Fate. It seems perhaps also souls. It would..." he searched for an accurate emotion "please me if I were able to guide, order, and assign the souls of our mortal children to rest, reward, or perdition."
    Last edited by Virgo; 2008-09-13 at 06:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Ikassi

Ikassi looked at the formidable ancient one and the mandibles convulsed into, as well as she could manage, a smile. There was no malice in the smile, just bemusement and perhaps some curiosity.

She lowered her upper body and circled around Saradinus a few times.

You... I like you. You ideas are intriguing and your words speak well of you. Please, tell me of how mortals can leap from star to star. Tell me of how they will handle the vast expanse of the great voids between.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-09-13 at 07:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Gargax

His face once more in the natural grin of his skeletal visage, Gargax responds to Ikassi With Magic, and with Tools. With magic I have seen mortals move from plain to plain, visiting places that are not even among the stars, distant though they may be. I have seen men who can otherwise not traverse the waters for their inability to swim, make known of themselves as sailors and traverse the seas and oceans their whole lives. I have seen these things and more. With ingenuity, magic, and skill, mortals have learned to walk where before there was no path, and where no physical skill can take them. This is how they can move from world to world, and traverse the black void.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Polaris

The Twin Princess thinks for a moment, watching the other gods. Them she talks, adressing noone in particular.

"Law and Chaos... Both are choices one must make, and so neither of them should be prohibited to be made. There are good choices and bad choices, but there must always be the freedom of choosing. Now, we can also choose to fight among ourselves, but that would only lead to our demise. We should not mimic our predecessors' mistakes."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Liagyi-Nelek
    As the last gasp of breath escaped from his lungs, he did not feel fear, or pain, or anger. No... it felt like... home. But such thoughts began to fade, his body giving up the struggle to life.

His mind began to cloud, and a final thought drifted into his mind from places unknown.

Liagyi-Nelek... It is a good name...

The water around him seemed to shudder with approval, and all went dark.

Then... a creature.

Then nothing.

Liagyi-Nelek opened his eyes slowly, and looked around at the other beings gathered. It had been but a moment and newborn gods were already but petulant children.

"Such ambitions." he said, his voice reverberating through the emptiness, as he swayed slowly, the seaweed wrapping his body rising and falling as though moved by unseen waves.

"Yet to see your demesne and already seeking to abandon the duties entrusted to you."

He turned towards the distant world, his heart already tugging at him to descend.

"There will be time for such things... there is always time."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-09-13 at 08:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Ikassi

Yess...magic...magic is it? Well, I suppose I am not one deny the power of...magic.

She paused slightly before the word, as if the word had a peculiar taste. Her face showed no emotion, but she stared intently at Gargax.

Surely, one as ancient as yourself is more knowledgeable of the matter. I apologize, ancient one, for my earlier rudeness.
    Now, on the matter of ...Magic. This allows mortals, even the weak, to wield great power and influence in their world, correct? Am I correct in assuming the possibilities of this art are nigh endless?

The giant centipede looked slightly apprehensive for a moment before calming down again.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Polaris, to Ikassi

Looking to the insect-god, the Twin Princess listened with caution.

"Yes, the power of magic is endless. However, as in everything, the use of this power is filled with constant choices. If the wrong choices are made, the user will be consumed by it's power, instead of shaping the world around himself. You need not fear, my divine comrade, for the use of magic by mortal hands will be supervisioned. Or so I expect."