New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default The Gem Sea Sailors

Welcome to the city and island of Olaris, a bustling port city. It's a fine day for sailing and the sun is shining and the wind smells like new adventure. The past is the past, what will be will be, but the real question is 'what do I do now?'

Spoiler
    Show
    Introduce yourself, describe what you're doing at the moment (e.g. making a sandwich, drinking in a tavern, getting off of a ship) and call a color for dialogue. OOC stuff like this goes in spoiler like this, or in the OOC thread.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Gem Sea Sailors

Petra

Spoiler
    Show
    Dibbs on the angry color!

She knew she should have bought that horse back near the mainland...

Attracting more than a fair share of attention in the port is a surprising small package of barbaric might toting with her a helfty looking cleaver axe on an overlong shaft. Petra isn't more than 4'8" if one were to get accurate, with a slender petite frame and a face that would be charming were it not for the fact the young lady is dressed as a scruffy barbarian. A chain shirt, mismatched scarves, wrappings and a leather kilt, the cut of an adventurer of savage make.

Currently, she's making herself known by shoving and making her way through the port, not out of personal malice but because one such as her naturally has problems getting through a crowd without jostling unless she jostles back. She's turning out to be good at shoving and walking with a confident swagger it would seem, as she tries to find something to stand on to get a better view of her surroundings.

"Blood and thunder, where are all these people coming from???"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Menchi stands at a small booth near the water, looking out over the ocean. All the people in this port... some one had to know. He smiled and walked out into the square, his map at his side, daydreaming silently.
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Salmaan

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take royal blue I suppose.

As Salmaan spied the galleon that took her kin's lives, she road Crestrider up along side it. Knowing that it had taken her whole village to defeat them, Salmaan thought she would take a steathier approach. Unfortunately (or fortunately) no one was aboard, "Probably drinking away their plunder, murderous bastards." Salmaan thought. Noticing the ship's name, "The Crow's Eye", she left Crestrider in the water and went into the city.

The short, simply dressed halfling walks ith a purpose towards the nearest portside inn. Gazing distrustfully at all the tall folk she passes.
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-08-18 at 08:26 PM.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra

One distrustful...uh... kinda tall person just walks right in front of the halfling, having just immediately preceding this with butting aside some guy near a booth, particularly irked by her inability to see much if anything other than the backs of taller people's heads.

"Nngh.... I need something to stand on just to see where I'm going, damn it all!"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Sizing up the woman with the large ax infront of her Salmaan tries to figure out whether she is an enormous halfling or a miniature human. Deciding that she best be handled with caution, Samaal is nonetheless happy to have possibly met another halfling. "You don't need something to stand on," She says. "Make them come to you. Never look up." She turns her head slightly to display her tatoo. Hoping the woman will recognize it.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra

Petra gives the halfling a blank look, ignorant of any meaning in the designs.

"Hmph. Like your tattoos or somethin'? And if you don't look up from time to time, th' scenery never changes, lady."

So saying, after shoving someone else who knocks the side of her axe, Petra looks around for the closest set of barrels. Atop them, the barbarian pays little more mind to Salmaan, trying to get a good view of things.

"Come on... a simple tavern or dive to prepare me a good meal..."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[3] Spot check

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Oy!" Salmaan shouts and points to the tavern towards which she had been heading. Disgruntled that the stranger was not another halfling, Salmaan wanted to fugure out what she was nonetheless.

My meager homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Enormous Hafling Petra

...Wondering why there were no buildings in the ocean, Petra turns around with ire to see where the halfling points.

"Grr... Fine. You're welcome to join me." So saying, the halfling finds the human starting to shove a path towards the tavern, preparing herself for a hearty meat-centric breakfast.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Salmaan follows the woman towards the tavern. At least if she found the pirates she might have some help.

My meager homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11

After being shoved aside and recovering himself, Menchi looks after the girl who pushed him and tries to shout over the crowd.
    "Oy! Hey! You! You!"
    He's barely able to keep up, now shoving people aside left and right, heading in the same direction.
    Look! It's me!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra

Stopping at the foyer of the tavern, Petra gives glance back towards whoever's shouting, giving them an even look.

"Yeah? Whaddya want, I'm busy..."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Salmaan turns to follow the woman's gaze and sees the armored humanoid moving towards her. She moves a hand to her bow and is ready if the human tries to start something.

My meager homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14

Menchi stumbles out of the throng of people, straightens his armor deftly, and adjusts his spectacles with the hand not holding his staff, which he leans on heavily.
    "Don't give me the innocent act!" he gasps, "I don't see how you can be busy enough that you don't even have time for a simple 'sorry'!"
    He brushes a few loose strands of white hair away from his face, huffing.
    Look! It's me!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Edward Farrington

Appearance:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Edward is dressed in tan trousers and vest, with a white undershirt to accentuate them. His outfit is pretty simple, but something about it suggests that it cost a good bit of money. Perched on Edward's nose there's a pair of brown-rimmed glasses. They appear to be purely ornamental. If he were to take them off and place them in his vest pocket, he wouldn't need to squint to see you.

Speaking of which, the right front pocket of his vest bulges slightly. If you were to look inside of it, you'd probably see the tell-tale glint of a flask.

Around Edward's neck hangs a necklace decorated with fish-hooks.

The fish of the day turns out to be haddock. Edward is not usually a haddock person, but he's willing to make exceptions when the animal in question is simmered in a cream sauce, spiced with paprika, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper, flavored with sherry, and then deposited atop a golden cushion of puffed pastries. Add to that the tangy taste of the ocean air and you have a meal fit for a king.

Or for a young merchant's heir that had decided to go slumming for the day.

It's almost a shame that the Baited Hook is such a dive. On the one hand, that keeps high society away and allows Edward to dine in peace, without having to worry about bumping into someone familiar. On the other, the chef at the Hook really deserves better. It's almost criminal for the man to get a salary counted in the coppers.

Edward sighs a sigh heavy with the injustices of the world, then goes back to eating his haddock. It's really a darn delicious fish when it's prepared this way.

Haddock with cream and seasonings:
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://southernfood.about.com/od/haddockrecipes/r/bl60322b.htm

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For some reason, my user CP didn't remind me that this was starting. Sorry for being a bit late on the scene. Also, I'll be using Sienna for Edward's quotes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Salmaan relaxes upon seeing that the human was not here for big trouble. No assassin would dress that foolishly or be that open. However, there might still be some excitement.....

My meager homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra

A pause.

"...Sorry for what? I've been tryin' to get through this damnable crowd without bein' bouyed like a leaf onna stream. Don't take it personally, islander.

As she says this, cleaver resting on her shoulder, the barbarian shifts stances notably to easier look up and confront this gentleman, though her glare is anything BUT gentle...
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2008-08-19 at 10:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

"Very well. I shall not. But a token for apology is in order." The glint behind the pupils of a mage meets her angry stare.
    Look! It's me!

19. - Top - End - #19

Edward Farrington

Edward leisurely finishes his fish, reducing it to a couple of soggy crumbs and then chasing those with a nip from his flask. It's shaping up to be a good afternoon, and he considers going for a stroll on the pier. The sea breeze always seems to fill him with energy when it washes over him; the perfect antidote to a post-sumptuous-haddock food-coma.

Edward flags down a waitress and pays for his meal, tipping generously with silver. He also slips a single gold coin out of his wallet and drops it into her palm. "Please, give my regards to the chef. That man is an artist, even if his medium of choice is scaly, flapping things. Also, would you let him know that if he's even interested in earning a better salary, he should inquire at the Farrington estate? There's an old couple there that would love to employ him." Edward treats the waitress to a quick smile, then waves her away.

She's about average, I guess. But pretty probably doesn't help employment here. Ah, well. Maybe I'll pay a visit to Melissa after my walk...

Musing to himself all the while, Edward leaves his booth and walks out the door on autopilot. He's not really looking where he's going, but that's not a huge problem for him. People usually know to get out of the way--

Edward's walk is interrupted by a rather solid body. "Oomph," he says, half stumbling. It's followed by a hasty "pardon me." Edward actually gets halfway through the process of turning around and walking away, completely oblivious, before he notices who it was that he'd bumped.

Thaaat's an awfully big knife resting on her shoulder...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dropped two gold pieces on the meal.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I probably need to stop referring to her longaxe as a cleaver; if you've seen some of the Horde axes in Wow (which have basically a rectangular wedge forged over a pole), it's basically what she has.

Petra

Things go steadily downhill. "Token of apology? I'll token yer FACE if you don't leave things as they --ugh!"

Petra doesn't get to finish telling off Menchi as the next unlucky slob runs into her. With an unintelligible growl, she aims a kick at him, furiously sick of being run into.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unarmed strike, nonlethal (1d20+9=25) Uh oh. And the damage: Nonlethal damage (1d3+4=7) Ouch. She must have heels on or something....

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Startled, Salmaan whips around with her bow drawn. When she see's that it was merely an accident she lowers it but remains wary. He had the look of a ship's doctor about him.....

"You," she says in a cold voice, "What ship do you sail on?"

My meager homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22

Edward Farrington

The first sign that something's wrong turns out to be a very small, very angry leg rising into his field of vision. Well, that's totally uncal... There's a very loud crack and the mists of sweet oblivion swim around his head. He's dimly conscious of falling. Or floating. The details are a little vague.

He's much more aware of landing. Landing hurts.

Edward fades back in to find himself lying on the cobblestones, looking up at three indistinct figures. One of them waves a curved-ish shape at him and says "You. What ship do you sail on?"

Dazed, Edward almost says the first thing that comes to mind.

I'm a pony!

Fortunately, he waits for a moment and some of the dizziness clears away. It's replaced by confusion. Also pain. The left side of his face hurts like a herd of elephants just ran roughshod over it.

"Ship? My family buys shares in cargo. We don't own any ships."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Heyheyhey. No uh, fighting. It's the rules. A rather young man in badly fitting chainmail and breastplate with a green tower emblazoned over his chest runs up to the group. Then he sees the weaponry. Ohhh... is that a real Romilian Battle Ax? Can I try it?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Salmaan looks at the fallen stranger. Ironically, she reflected from a higher vantage point. Chuckling a bit, she says, "Alright, you're probably telling the truth. There's no way you'd survive on a pirate galleon."

She returns her bow to it's case and turns to face the other humans and the newcomer. "We're not fighting. This bloke forgot to look down and consider that not eveyone is a giant. Is that against the law, officer......" she trails off in a vaguely threatening manner. What was it with all these indignant humans. Perhaps the cleric had been a one of a kind.

My meager homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra

"Back off!" Petra hisses, only the understanding this fellow hasn't really done anything keeping her violence in check. Instead, with a snarl, she turns and tries to storm into the bar without another word to any of those gathered.

26. - Top - End - #26

Menchi stares at the whole spectacle wide-eyed, and then rushes after the girl.
    "Um- hey- you- you- didn't-"
    He tries to catch her on the shoulder, failing miserably, and stumbles akwardly. He says, "All I would require is a token! Just a single piece of information! Do you know the area around here?"
    Look! It's me!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The young man looks down at Salmaan. I mean, it had the carvings and is totally the right size. Just like in that book Ozy has. Oh umm... but she kicked him. That hurts. Umm... do you think I should arrest her? Because, you know, then she wouldn't let me look at the ax. He looks down at Edward. Hello sir! Are you alright? Then he stops. Who was that other guy?

28. - Top - End - #28

Edward Farrington

"Er, let's not be arresting anyone just yet." Edward climbs clumsily to his feet. "Whatever injustices were just done to the side of my face can wait, pending an introduction and perhaps an explanation." His doggedly cheerful expression slips when he notices just how little attention the newcomer is paying to him.

"Ohhh... is that a real Romilian Battle Ax? Can I try it?"

"I wouldn't advise that. I think she has a very literal 'hands-off' policy."

JJ:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What color are you using for your dialog?
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-08-20 at 09:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

But it's like the real deal! I have to ask again. And with what he probably imagines is a very determined face, he marches into the tavern to see if the ax crazy lady wants to let him play with her ax. And maybe arrest her after that, depending on how the victim feels.

Spoiler
    Show
    each npc'll get thier own
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-08-20 at 09:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Petra

Currently, the petite savage is trying to order something rare and bloody, slamming good coin down on the counter of the tavern's bar and asking what constitutes a polite tone by Petra's standards.

"A haunch of meat that was killed this mornin'!" she bellows,"And something to drink..."

She's not given a moment's peace though; the moment she's done, her recently acquired entourage starts filing in after her.

"THAT'S a token? I though-- Hell, whatever. Anyway, I know little of this place, but I'm thinkin' that I shoulda bought that warhorse and rode off into the east, if everyone's intolerable as I've foun--

Another interruption. "What do you want?" she gives the watchman a warning glance, her hand not leaving the long-axe at her side.