Lightbulb [Creature] A cold heart is just the start

Angiak

Tiny Undead
    Hit Dice: 3d12 (19 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
    Armor Class: 13 (-3 dex, +2 natural, +4 size), flat-footed 13, touch 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+9
    Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d2+4) or Touch +7 melee (frostbite)
    Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d2+4) and Touch +2 melee (frostbite)
    Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Attach, nurture, warmth suckle
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold, undead traits
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref -1, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 6, Con -, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Skills: Listen +3, Spot +3
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Lifesense
    Environment: Any cold land
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always chaotic evil
    Advancement: -
    Level Adjustment: -

Combat
    Angiaks tend to gather clothing and toddle into the homes of those that abandoned them, or even those that knew it to happen and did nothing to stop it. They wail piteously until they are noticed, encouraging closeness when they leap forward to attach themselves to their victim, draining them of warmth and vitality.

Attach (Ex): If an angiak hits with a bite attack, it grips tightly to it's opponent’s body with its weak-seeming jaws. An attached angiak is effectively grappling its opponent. Angiaks have a +12 racial bonus on grapple checks (already figured into the Base Attack/Grapple entry above).

An attached angiak can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached angiak through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the angiak.

Bundled (Ex): An angiak gains a +10 bonus on disguise checks when clothed or wrapped in a blanket to appear as a normal child.

Nurture (Su): The cries an angiak constantly makes causes humanoids within 20 feet to become filled with pity. Those in range must succeed on a DC 13 will save or become Charmed for as long as they hear the angiak. An angiak usually tries to get another to pick it up so that it may use its attach ability without triggering an attack of opportunity. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Warmth Suckle (Su): An angiak sucks warmth right from the blood of its victim, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution damage and 1 point of Dexterity damage in any round when it begins its turn attached to a victim. For each 2 points of dexterity damage it deals, the angiak gains 1 point of strength that lasts for 1 hour. Creatures immune to cold are not affected by this ability.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Angiak Lore
    Characters who have ranks in Knowledge (religion) can learn more about angiaks. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.

Knowledge (Religion)

DC/Result
    DC 12 - This creature is an angiak, the undead remains of a child purposely abandoned to die from exposure. It rises up, no longer affected by the elements. This reveals all undead traits and its immunity to cold.
    DC 17 - The pitiful cry of an angiak is said to melt the hearts of humanoid creatures, but such is their downfall. This reveals it's Nurture ability.
    DC 22 - An angiak, despite its seeming fragility is possessed of supernatural strength. If it bites it rarely lets go, but sucks out one's heat, growing stronger by the moment. This reveals the angiak's attach and warmth suckle ability.

Ecology
    Angiaks are the remains of babies or young children that are abandoned to the cold by peoples who cannot care for them. The cold heartedness of the act infuses them and they rise up soon after death, filled with an icy hatred. They return to their mother in the night, quietly suckling until they gain the strength of several men. Once fortified, they seek their revenge on the others of the community.
    Environment: Angiaks are found wherever children are abandoned to the cold.
    Typical Physical Characteristics: Angiaks are as they were in life, but their skin is the livid blue-black of advanced frostbite, and their eyes frozen and cracked. The skin has pulled away from their mouth in a frigid rictus, razor shards of frozen blood rising from their gums.
    Alignment: Angiaks have the minds of young children, though bewildered and hate filled at the injustice done them. An angiak is always chaotic evil.

Society
    Angiaks only in the most desperate of times ever meet others of their kind, but do not interact except to jointly seek revenge on the society that spurned them while helpless and dependent.
    An angiak cannot speak, only able to emit the weak wails of a dying child.

Typical Treasure

Angiaks possess no treasure, rarely even possessing the simplest of clothes.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-08-19 at 01:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Creature] A cold heart is just the start

Warmth.....suckle?

Disturbing, yet well-written (One of these days, I'm gonna figure out how to stat monsters so that I'll actually be able to give folks feedback)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eerie as possible. I love it. Would they all be tiny? What if the child was older?
    "Blessings of Father Malkav be with you, and might madness follow in your footsteps."

What D&D Character are you?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Bard (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 15
    Intelligence- 13
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

Avatar by LordRod. Thanks again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Very cool. (No pun intended. )

You could make a pretty neat little side-trek adventure where a covey of hags has been attacking a village that tends to abandon its young by leaving Angiaks on doorsteps disguised as orphans.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

cool. nice flavor. i like the premise. you're formatting is a bit sloppy though, and the opening fluff text is all down in the ecology para, which is ok, but abnormal. the title for warmth suckle needs to be bolded.

over all, very neat. could creep some players out if used intelligently.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FatherMalkav View Post
    Eerie as possible. I love it. Would they all be tiny? What if the child was older?
    This is mostly intended for very young children.

i like the premise. you're formatting is a bit sloppy though, and the opening fluff text is all down in the ecology para, which is ok, but abnormal.
    Sloppy? Basically I'm using the old 3.5 format and new 3.5 one together. That's how the monster entries to Foosteps are being accepted, which is why I think I made it like this originally but then that issue never came out. Have had this sitting around for over a year.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Sloppy? Basically I'm using the old 3.5 format and new 3.5 one together. That's how the monster entries to Foosteps are being accepted, which is why I think I made it like this originally but then that issue never came out. Have had this sitting around for over a year.
    not a big deal; mostly just referring to the fact that none of the stat-block headings are bolded or differentiated, and that the fluff text is at the bottom, and the unbolded descriptive heading. sloppy might be the wrong word. try 'hasty' instead. either way, they are kinda similar in my book.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    mostly just referring to the fact that none of the stat-block headings are bolded or differentiated
    They aren't bolded, but differentiated? They are all separate. However, this is how I've always posted my monsters.

and that the fluff text is at the bottom
    That's how it is in the newer 3.5 format.

and the unbolded descriptive heading.
    ?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Eek. Awesome work, Tribble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

cr 2? with 1d4 con damage when it establishes a grapple? are you sure that the cr is high enough?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Seconded.

In CR 2 he can be a real bugger. heck he is easily potential death to 5th level characters.

He is jest too fatal for CR 2, ability damage is painful, but to Con its deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Ummm...

Challenge Rating 1
    Giant Bee - 1d4 Con damage, initial AND secondary.
    Monstrous Scorpion, Medium - 1d3 Con damage, initial and secondary.

Challenge Rating 2
    Large Viper, 1d6 Con damage, initial and secondary.
    Vargoille, paralyzes and then for all intended purposes kills you if you fail a single save.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-08-19 at 07:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    They aren't bolded, but differentiated? They are all separate. However, this is how I've always posted my monsters.

That's how it is in the newer 3.5 format.

?
    then don't worry about it. i am just tellinng you my thoughts on it. take them as they apply.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

New 3.5 format is rather helpful, better than unmarked paragraphed fluff in the old one. Anyway, is Frostbite from anything? Doesn't seem to be here, or linked.

Is the lore bit part of the new format, too? I always like to have fluff I can use when my PCs are expecting its critical weakness upon a natural 20 rolled for Knowledge.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I finally remembered this account after two years. If I begin to get nostalgic, just snap me out of it. Don't worry, I don't expect you to remember me.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Seconded.

In CR 2 he can be a real bugger. heck he is easily potential death to 5th level characters.

He is jest too fatal for CR 2, ability damage is painful, but to Con its deadly.
    Well, most players travel in parties, you know. Even if grappled fellow can't wrestle it off or kill it sufficently quickly, others will do it easily.

Anyway kinda crepy and well done.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    then don't worry about it. i am just tellinng you my thoughts on it. take them as they apply.
    *butts in*

And here are my thoughts on the matter: 'tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

/off-topic

Another good job, VT. I've been skittish about 4e, so I'm glad to see you're still using 3.5 format for your monsters. Undead toddlers are always good for a "WHAT THE FLYING F-" moment. ("No, it's not flying, it's an undead lifesucking baby.")

I'll admit, I too was thrown a little by the low CR for a creature with high hit dice and powerful attacks, but it looks like you thought about that already.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    ... that works really well, it's almost like...

Oh god! Chuck Norris is Cthulhu! It all makes sense now. Everything is meaningless! Only in death can we escape!

*hangs self*