New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Rotating Avatar

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Rotating Avatar

During the time I have spent on these boards, I have had several personal avatars. Well, in order to make sure all artists get represented fairly, I would ideally like to have one of those avatars that change images every time the page is refreshed. Problem: I have no idea how. Can someone please help me out here?

Also, I want to make sure that this is ok with the artists in question before I do anyhitng with their work.

Artists
    Veera, my first and also an early Veeratar.
    The Losar
    Abbounpronouncable is on hiatus, so I can only assume that he will not mind.
    Gorbash Kazdar: I requested an avatar from him last week or so and the idea came to me this morning.

I survived the Spam War of 3/18/06. What a nice birthday gift that was....&&&&&&Obey the Call of Narf!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Rotating Avatar

Well, you could put them all in an animated gif, and this really does belong in board issues.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Ok. Thanks. I didn't know where to put it. If necessary, I will PM the proper authorities.
    I survived the Spam War of 3/18/06. What a nice birthday gift that was....&&&&&&Obey the Call of Narf!!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you have your own server, I once wrote someone a very simple PHP image rotation page. Instead of returning HTML headers, it returns GIF headers and a random file from a list held internally.

Only trouble is, there are a number of forums which will not accept .php as an image extension.

image.php
    Code:
    <?php
      header("Content-type: image/gif");

$number = rand(1, 3);

$image = "avatar".$number.".gif";

include($image);
    ?>
    Name the avatars 'avatar1.gif' to 'avatar3.gif' and place them in the same directory as this php file. If you wanted 10 files, change the value of the random number by changing "rand(1, 3)" to "rand(1, 10)" and just name the avatars up to 'avatar10.gif'

An example is at http://www.dragonstalon.co.uk/test/image.php but it is just a simple signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Interesting!

Does anyone know, well I'm sure someone does ~ but could someone share how to do animated GIFs? I SOOOO want to make an animated avatar.

Plllleeeeaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeee!

Omen Darkwoods Best Free RPG System Ever!! <--- TAKE A LEAP AND CLICK!! Portfolio

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Making an animated avatar can be relatively easy if you have, for example, Macromedia (or Adobe) Flash.

If you have only Inkscape (or Power Point as you) and GIMP, the best technique is creating a layer per animation frame (technique called onion skinning) and putting all into an animated gif using Gimp.

I've half done a tutorial about that, that I must finish, as I've promised it to Were-Sandwich a while ago... :)

Examples of animated gif I've done using that technique :

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nice to know you haven't forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Were-Sandwich
    Nice to know you haven't forgotten.

I haven't forgotten, I only have a critical case of lack of free time :(

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Very well, I guess I will have to be patient and wait for that tutorial. ;) That last one making me thirsty.

Thanks,

Omen Darkwoods Best Free RPG System Ever!! <--- TAKE A LEAP AND CLICK!! Portfolio

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Immoleth Magthere
    During the time I have spent on these boards, I have had several personal avatars. Well, in order to make sure all artists get represented fairly, I would ideally like to have one of those avatars that change images every time the page is refreshed. Problem: I have no idea how. Can someone please help me out here?

Also, I want to make sure that this is ok with the artists in question before I do anyhitng with their work.

Artists
    Veera, my first and also an early Veeratar.
    The Losar
    Abbounpronouncable is on hiatus, so I can only assume that he will not mind.
    Gorbash Kazdar: I requested an avatar from him last week or so and the idea came to me this morning.
    Didn't you use to have an avAtar that changed before? I seem to remember you having one... :)
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Well, he's talking about an avatar that doesn't change at certain time intervals, but rather an avatar that changes as you refresh it; like the top bar in the GITP home page.

Bah, the one time I leave out my usual uncertaintential nouns, like &quot;I believe&quot; or &quot;perhaps&quot; or &quot;maybe&quot; or &quot;there's the possibility that&quot; I turn out wrong.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor, Lord of Midnight
    Didn't you use to have an avAtar that changed before? I seem to remember you having one... :)
    Note the date on your quote - this thread started back in 2005.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
    Spoiler
    Show