New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mobile Section 34

Assuming that everyone present lines up and stands on attention as members of a military organization should, the man starts to speak.

"Welcome to Mobile Section 34, ladies..." He makes an absent-minded face, as if he wanted to remember something he forgot, and then apparently succeeds. "and gentlemen. My name is captain Yota Lightly, and I was given the role of the co..."

Suddenly quick and loud steps, followed by a loud thump and a girly shriek, interrupt him. At the doorstep, there is a girl of unprecised (but young) age sprawled on the ground, apparently having tripped. She almost instantly gets up and bursts into a nervous explanation.
    "Aah, I am so sorry - I was so busy with the helicopter that I completely forgot about the ceremony! Please forgive me!"
    Ashamed, she quickly gets into the line with the others. She has white hair kept in one long braid, and red eyes - an albino? Unlike the others, she's wearing a grease-covered pilot's outfit, and carrying a briefcase - albeit a small one.

Captain Lightly doesn't even react.
    "Of the commander of this newly-created unit. As you might have noticed, we are currently understaffed, but it is just a temporary element, and I am sure that the current members, with their dedication and..."

He's interrupted again. This time by a loud emergency alarm!
    "Oh dear."

Melina pats Albin on the arm and points somewhere.
    "The comm room is this way."
    They nod to each other and start to run into that direction.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-08-22 at 07:03 AM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

"Ehhh?" Taltha is shocked for a second there, but gets herself quickly. That was an emergency alarm - when those started to sound, it was usually because something was about to go critical and blow up in someone's face, or something of the sort. And the only two people here who seemed knowledgeable had started running - also a bad sign. No time for standing around wondering. But first she needed to know what that particular alarm stood for. She approaches the commander in three long, decided steps and addresses him in a steely, imperious tone that doesn't allow for a negative, and which contrasts heavily with her previous meekiness (and also completely forgetting about the whole mlitary protocol stuff) with a single sentence: "What does that alarm mean?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Commander Yota raises his arms.
    "EMERGENCY! EMERGENCY! EMERGENCY!"
    He lowers them and continues in a completely calm voice.
    "Either we are under attack, or there is a matter that requires our attention."

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Her look of eagerness faded as she got a better look of the commander. There was something immensely creepy about him and he didn't seem too competent either. These feelings grew stronger and stronger as he started the least inspiring speech ever. She tried building confidence by telling herself that since he had advanced to such a high rank he had to be competent and that he just didn't have good skills with speeches, it was just so hard.

As such it almost came as a relief when they were interrupted by the mechanic. At least it drew attention away from the commander for a while. He didn't have much time to recapture it before the alarm.

Mustering all the military protocol she could in the confused situation and towards the man she spoke up. "So you don't know what we could possibly be called for, sir?" Her green eyes fixed inquisitively on her commander as she briefly toyed with the strange bracelet on her left wrist.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

"If I may say so, Master, you're doing a very good job of things." Chen drawls.

Leaping from her perch on Taltha's shoulder to land neatly on the floor, Chen pads equally neatly to stand next to the door.

Now addressing the general assembly, she asks, "Well, are we going to see what this emergency is about, or are you going to let a little cat do all the hard wo-...?

Aware that noone was paying attention to her, Chen sniffs, and starts pawing at her right haunch.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, very helpful indeed. Sigh. Ignoring the man, she turned to the rest.

"I am going to find Albin and Melina. They seemed to have a better idea of how to find out what is going on here. If anyone wants, come with me" With that, she turns and runs, or at least does her best to do so - stupid uniform.

It's probably most surprising to see this cool, proffessional woman coming out from the same body that was acting so meekly just a minute ago. But then, you don't survive four years of working with extremely volatile equipment if you're not ready to take matters into your hands during an emergency. The sound of the alarm put her on her edge, and Taltha's edge was actually pretty sharp.

As she runs, she mentally contacts Chen "Please look over the others, Chen, and make sure to tell me if you find out something. I do not really think anything that gets militars to start such a loud alarm will be harmless. I am actually pretty surprised we are not hearing explosions yet"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2008-08-22 at 07:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Yes Master", says Chen, going from smartass wisecracker to the paragon of discipline in under 5 parsecs.

While it may not be on the scale of turning into a giant vermin, the metamorphosis is nonetheless very startling. But then again, you don't survive 4 years of helping someone work with volatile equipment without being able to adapt to situations quickly. And learning how to duck trouble.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    The sheer flood of words coming from Tara's mouth made it hard for her to cut through it. "Ummm...Tara. I don't think she actually wants to answer all those questions..." As it didn't appear that Tara was about to stop she tried raising her hand slightly to call attention to herself. "I'm not sure she managed to catch them all either...And weren't you just talking about the virtues of being quiet..."
    "Gah! I'm sorry, I--"

Here Tara was cut off by the alarm clock, and events gradually spiraling out of control. Seeing that Taltha's idea of following the staff was a good one, she holds up her fist and says "Come on everyone! To the comms room!"
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-08-22 at 03:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

A slight smile crept on Mireio's lips as she saw Tara's reaction, the flustered look was just too cute to ignore.

As the rest of the forwards started heading to the comm room, she didn't give them much time to leave her behind. Her bracelet slid into her hand, the blue Device gem on it twinkling slightly in the light, as she prepared to move into battle as quickly as possible. "Does any of you know where the comm room is? We cannot go there if you don't."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"I know.", says the captain. "Should I show you the way? Let's see what is the matter of this alert everyone together."

"Umm... I must check on the helicopter and make it ready!", the albino girl says quickly and leaves the room. Or at least tries to - she bumps into the door's frame at the first attempt. Probably due to nervousness.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Tara looks back at the pilot worriedly. Maybe I should help...no, no, I'm a forward! Have to concentrate on beating the bad guys! She'll be fine as long as there's no stairs between here and the landing pad.

"Right! Show us the way, uh...commander."
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Taltha just waited a moment and stepped aside, letting the commander guide the way. It was actually kind of relieving - she had stepped in because she knew people needed to see someone start acting before starting to act themselves for the most part, but had been dreading she might have to lead the way temporarily... but still, she should stay on her toes, because, from what she'd seen, she wouldn't trust this man to lead... whatever, really.

"Please, I just want to find someone who knows what happens... does all military function so chaotically?" she thinks to herself.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Immediately after Taltha thought that, Lightly stops and looks at her over his shoulder. He remains silent for a moment.

"Are you coming, miss?"

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

It wouldn't have been neccessary to ask, really, because as soon as the group passes her, she joins of her own accord, simply nodding to the question. She would probably get a bit flustered, but right now her mind is galloping through ideas for possible causes.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Unlike Tara and Taltha, Mireio didn't seem to have many concerns beyond getting to the comm center as far as possible and begin the mission. It was not that she didn't see the poor mechanic stumbling about like that, it was more that she was too consumed by her desire to do her duty, do it well and preferably do it yesterday to really notice.

What she did think about as she ran was whether she should activate Yoichi immediately so that there was no delay as she moved into battle, or if that would be inappropriate. Probably the last, none of the others seemed to be about to activate their devices.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lucius got slightly distracted, Mireio and Tara gave him an idea for drawing, and he was lost in thought, until the captain woke up.
    Well, at least gentlemen came out of there. Though here's hoping he's just acting the fool. And, lastly, let's hope that the pilot is just clumsy on the ground, not in the air.

He follows behind even Taltha, and realizing he knew nothing of everyone else abilities, he then asks, "Just curious, what abilities does everyone else have? I can fool one person at a time with a mirror image myself and attack, and I am slightly decent at defending myself."
    Thank you to starwoof for the awesome Astrid avatar.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Without stopping Mireio turned her head to look at Lucius. "I'm a sniper and general long-range fighter. I know how to hide myself and defend against attacks. Otherwise i focus on just shooting." Having finished talking she swept her gaze over the others, slipping quickly past the commander as she let it linger slightly longer on Tara than anybody else. She wondered what sorts of abilities they had.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

The captain indeed knows the way into the comm room, which, as expected, is darker than the other rooms and filled with computer screens and consoles. Your mission control is already busy sitting in their places and operating them - they really seem to know what they're doing. Albin looks up at you as the group comes in, his face more serious than before.

"A nearby warehouse is under attack! The information is very chaotic, but it appears that the enemies are humanoid robots or golems of unknown type. It's unknown where have they come from, and they don't move out of the warehouse - they only guard it. Numbers - at least 20, there are high chances it's much more. The civilians... um, Melina?"

"Yes. There are no casualties, but several are wounded. Most of them have already evacuated from the dangerous area, but at least one is still inside."

"Thanks." Albin looks back at the group - most notably, at the captain. "That's all we know for now."

Yota turns slowly into the direction of Section's forwards.
    "Your first mission will start earlier than we expected. We must move into action ASAP - your goals are simple: rescue all the civilians who are still inside the warehouse, and eliminate all enemies. Understood? Good luck.

Ah, and one more thing.

DON'T LET THEM HURT YOU BECAUSE EVEN A SCRATCH WOULD BE A HORRIBLE WASTE!!!"

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Taltha turns her head a bit while not losing the pace

"If you mean combat ability, I am afraid have little of that. I can tend to the wounded and empower other people's spells, though, so I'm sure I will find something to do if we are under attack. And of course, there is also Chen. She may lack proper combat training, but she has proven extremly effective in shutting down out-of control machinery"

Then they reach Mission Control. Taltha listens to the news gravely. Damn, already? She didn't like fighting! Still, there were civilians there, so it was not like she had any option, anyway.

"Understood" She looks at the others "Er... let us go, then!" Freyalise appears in her right hand, humming with a soft, childish voice. "Stand By, Ready"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2008-08-22 at 03:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Reaching the room Mireio composed herself again, standing attention and nodding as the commander and mission control explained their mission. Her bracelet was still in her hand and not around her wrist, however. "Where is this warehouse and have we got permission to fly, sir?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Tara was all ready to go with a battle cry of readiness, but the commander's own shouting weirds her out enough to shock her back into polite mode.

"Uh, understood, sir. Ready to move out...oh," she suddenly remembers something. "My Device! I was supposed to receive my new Intelligent Device today. I haven't got a backup..."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Hey, we have some luck, the mission control team is very competent, and it looks like some people on this team have those nice devices. I wish I had one. Now, if only the captain wouldn't yell like that Removing his thoughts of what he needs to draw. Well, hopefully that pilot can fly better than she can walk, otherwise it will be the two support mages by themselves.
    Waiting until the Captain respond to his teammates questions before asking"Sir, I'm assuming if we can't fly to head to the landing pad then, sounds like the pilot has the helicopter ready.
    Looks like I'm the only one without a device then.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"I am currently sending the coordinates to our pilot - she will take you there with a helicopter.", says Albin. "If we get permission...", he asks the commander.

"Permission granted." Yota turns into your direction. "Also permission to use Devices - for those of you who don't have them yet, they arrived from the HQ and are currently in our pilot's possession. Those of you who already have them should put on their Barrier Jackets as soon as possible - even here and now. You have the permission for that too."

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

She gave a quick nod as the excitement overtook her face and her voice positively rang with enthusiasm as she replied. "Sir, yes sir"

She raised her left hand before her. "Yoichi." With that simple command the device gem in her bracelet glittered for a short while as it spoke in the voice of a refined British gentleman. "Stand by, Ready" As the voice died down the bracelet reformed into a slender white and blue bow, with the gem clasped at the top. The same transformation washed over her clothes as she stood before the others in the long white coat and short dress of her barrier jacket. "Everybody ready to head to the helicopter?"

25. - Top - End - #55

Looks like I didn't read my instructions very well, I guess I should have listened to the fact that the other sheet was important. Lucius hoped as he started jogging towards landing pad, hoping that he wasn't mistaken about one of the devices being his. Contacting the rest of the forwards mentally, "Good luck everyone."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

"Understood" Taltha, honestly, wanted to get the thing done with. Her resolve was more akin to an adrenaline shot, her will overwriting her usual reaction in case of emergency, and it was fading rapidly, and the nervousness was starting to come back. She knew she couldn't afford herself that, so she tried to keep on the move. She reaches for the little apparatus that would adjoin the barrier jacket to her Devices. In a couple seconds, she had finished.

"New Function accepted: Barrier Jacket"

"Alright, activate"

Without much sparkliness, her uniform gets changed to a pretty skyblue dress. And not giving it too much thought, she heads for the room's exit, and waits for the others to be ready, and when they are she follows.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2008-08-22 at 03:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Um, right..." Tara says.

I've never been this glad to be unarmed. Though a bat would be nice.

"To the helicopter, then!" she says, again without knowing where she's going, but having a decent guess.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Outside, the pilot is busy frantically jumping around the helicopter - a less demanding observer would call it trying to make it start. Your approach only makes her more nervous.
    "Aaah! I'm sorry, but since it's all so sudden, it will take at least an hour until the helicopter is ready to take off... umm, you are all air mages, right? Would you mind flying on your own just on this one mission, please? The warehouse is to the northwest, not very far away... I'm really sorry for that..."
    She really looks ashamed, and her gaze trails to the side... where she notices the briefcase the previously held. She grabs it quickly and opens it.
    "Ah, right, I forgot! This is for you, from the headquarters! Umm... I'm Onyx, by the way."

The briefcase contains custom-made Devices for Tara and Lucius - Noble Ether and Bohrer - as well as thirty cartridges.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-08-22 at 03:59 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

Despite her attempts at looking like she was maintaining proper military formation, Mireio managed to overtake Lucius and everyone else who had left the room before her and arrive at the helipad first. Her first mission, she was going to do something to actually, truly protect the people of Midchilda. "Thank you, Onyx. And i don't know about the others but i am an air mage. If we all are i guess we should head there by ourselves, the commander says that we have gotten clearance to fly." She took sis of the cartridges and slotted them into her magazine, before passing the suitcase on to the other, moving just a bit too fast and uncontrolledly to seem like she was really as calm about this as she tried to appear.

30. - Top - End - #60

Alright, I have my own device! Lucius was grinning like a school kid at the small little drill, now in his hand.
    "My name is Bohrer, master.
    "Ok, activate, Bohrer." His uniform was replaced by a long white cloak, with blue trim and a couple of shapes that look like drills on the shoulders. He's now holding a spear with a large drill on it.
    "Ok, I think I can fly now. If not, I'll need a lift." He tried unsuccessfully to become more serious. He grabs six cartidges as well and prepares to fly.