New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mobile Section 34

Great. Just great. This was just like being back at the lab, nothing worked when it should, only here she didn't have the knowledge of how to make things work.

"I think that yes, we could" She looked at the helicopter with a mix of interest and irritation. If the helicopter had feelings, it would probably have trembled, sensing the inevitable gutting and rebuilding that would take place later.

She looks at the box. Thirty cartridges, five people, six each. She gets twelve and hands six to Chen while the other two pick their devices.

"Anyone know what direction that warehouse is in?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"YES!"

Tara takes five cartridges and the glove-shaped device, replacing her right-hand glove with the latter. "Nobel Ether. It's nice to finally meet you. Let's work together, okay?"

"Yes, my master. Stand-by ready." it responds in an enthusiastic masculine voice.

"Set up!"

The sparkling light of a Barrier Jacket transformation moves over Tara, leaving her in her bright red jacket, white blouse tied off with a bow, and white pants, Noble Ether in her hand as a glowing ribbon of sorts.

"Don't worry, Onyx" she says with a wink. "We'll fly with you next time."

"Energy Wings."

Tara, now sporting a pair of crimson bird-like wings, floats off the ground. "Point the way, and let's go!"
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-08-22 at 04:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flight Mode. Lucius lifts off the ground about ten feet. He waves at Onyx and adds, "Good luck fixing the helicopter, see you later." He points to the northwest, "I believe it supposed to the Northwest. We'll probably be able to see it from above, I hope. And I should probably go first." Realizing that besides being a meleer, he didn't want to be accused of anything later.
    Last edited by Dragoon; 2008-08-22 at 04:32 PM.
    Thank you to starwoof for the awesome Astrid avatar.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Unlike the others Mireio didn't say anything as she just jumped into the air and headed towards the northwest. Now here was the time to prove that she was worthy of the position she had been given. Scanning the parts of the city in front of her she tried to see if she could see any area where and obvious disturbance was taking place so she could head for it.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Taltha's stomach, despite her best attempts at keeping her adrenaline rush going, was already starting to protest the fact that she was going to enter true combat for the first time. This probably shows in her face, but she has to keep going, so she forces herself to stay calm and neuter, and her mind clear - or as clear as one could humanly hope, at least. Still, she's been better.

"Yes, you're right. Once we are near, it should not be hard to spot. After you, then"

"Flight"

Then she follows Lucius's lead. I hope there haven't been any victims...
    Last edited by Drascin; 2008-08-22 at 04:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you hear me?" You suddenly hear a telepathic transmission. "Melina here. Me and Albin will try to keep you informed about all the situation changes. Stay alert."

"Good luck!" Onyx seems to raise a bit in spirit after your positive reactions... and then suddenly something explodes in the helicopter behind her, and it slouches on one tire.
    "Aaah! I thought I fixed that part...!"
    She instantly jumps in to check on the machine.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Taltha, according to standard test protocol, answers almost instantly "This is Taltha. Yes, I hear you clearly."

Also, she cracks a slight smile at the helicopter's explosion. That, at least, she knew how to fix, and would do so when they came back... oh god, when they came back from that. At least it was only robots, she had already disabled a couple of those that went on rampage, and she wouldn't feel guilty for attacking them. Still, not good.

"Cheer up, Master. It is nothing you cannot handle" Freyalise's childish voice says.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

"This is Satria. I hear you loud and clear" Turning to look down at the mechanic, she smiled reassuringly, her spirit lifted by finally getting to do something meaningful. "Thank you, Onyx. I know you will get the helicopter fixed." Even if the commander was utterly out of it and funding seemed spotty at best, this was the greatest thing that had happened to her. Her coworkers seemed nice, it would look great on her resume and most importantly it gave her the chance to finally protect the people of Midchilda.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lucius's good mood was slightly shaken as he heard the helicopter explode. At least he was flying on Bohrer's powers. "This is Lucius, I can hear both of you easily. Thanks for the support. Just curious, how close are we to the warehouse?" He clutched Bohrer harder, ready to see how everyone will do.
    Thank you to starwoof for the awesome Astrid avatar.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

"At your speed of flight, you will arrive there in 15-20 minutes. We have more information on the civilians - if our information is correct, only one is inside the danger zone."
    That was Melina again. She is capable of speaking more than one sentence when sharing vital mission information, apparently.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-08-22 at 05:09 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

15 minutes?! Taltha thinks. There was no way she could stay on edge for 15 minutes. Heck, she was already feeling awfully unresty. She decides she should probably relax - there would be enough time to be tense and panicking when we reach there. Close your eyes, try not to think too much of it. Easier thought than done, but still, she tries. Focus on your objective here, Taltha, not on what is between you and it. There is a person who needs your help. Keep your mind on that.

"I assume our priority is rescuing that one bystander. Also, I would like some more information on the kind of robots we will find, if we have access to it" You did not start working on something until you have the theory clear if there's any choice, after all. Plus that would help keep her mind occupied.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2008-08-23 at 04:39 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chen rimbles (a rimble is a rumble, only higher pitched) in amusement.

"When even a Device is telling you to cheer up, Master, you know you're over-tense. Robots? What can they do that we cannot handle? All robots are fundementally the same, when you get down too it. They're just a bunch of gears and cogs. And what is there about gears and cogs that we don't know about?"

Cackling, Chen performs a flamboyant loop, dropping a catridge at the height of her ascent, and catching it again as she swoops down. She's obviously enjoying herself.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"That is correct. Reinforcements from the ground army are also on their way, although I don't know at what precise time will they arrive. Enemy specs... Albin?"

"Yeah, we've managed to gather some information on those robots - they are using non-magic based weaponry! They seem to be capable of both ranged and melee attacks, but nothing with a wider area of effect. Defensive capabilities... unknown, but the probability of them possessing an AMF is low. They don't seem to possess flight or other special forms of movement, and are rather slow. But be wary, they still might have some tricks up their sleeve we haven't observed yet!"

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

"Roger that. Sounds like an easy missions, we will handle this quickly and save the hostage." This was almost just a normal ground forces job and not something for a mobile unit to deal with, but they were needed to save the hostage and find out who was behind this. Time to go in and end this threat, then they might learn why their unit was put together. "Everyone it is time to do this, people depend on us. We all know how to best use our skills and what has been learned about the enemy. Not much more we can do to prepare."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

To be honest, Chen's words were rather reassuring, and gave her some much needed perspective. Yes, this was the first time she was going to engage anything over three oponents, but the fact was that there were only going to be robots, and that gave them an edge. In that, at least, she would be of use.

"Yes, you are probably right. I'm still a bit worried, though. When we have had to take out of commission some rampaging robots, the amount of stray explosions has been rather... startling, to say the least. And this are a lot more and in the middle of a city district. I fear the collateral damage. This would be easier if we just had a way to deactivate them. Or if there wasn't anyone inside and we could just seal and barricade the place and torch it with controlled explosions to make sure they never came out. Buildings can be rebuilt, people can't."

She then listens to Albin's report.

"Non-magic? Are you referring to mass-based projectile weaponry? But isn't that highly illegal?

Still, I agree. People don't risk creating mechanisms with illegal weaponry for them to be too easy to take out, or at least without a way to make sure they give enough payoff for the risk. I am almost certain they will have some feature we ignore. I hate dealing with unknown quantities
    "
    Last edited by Drascin; 2008-08-23 at 06:12 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

"They are illegal. And that is worrying - it is obvious that whomever is behind this is willing to break all established laws, but we cannot make a link between this attack and any known criminals from the database. Or even speculate what might be the reason for it..."

The warehouse district slowly becomes visible - most of the warehouses are large and kept in some distance from each other, but the free space is filled with various containers and vehicles. Several trails of smoke surround one of the warehouses, coming both from its inside and destroyed machines nearby - humanoid figures, ant-sized from this distance, can be seen in its surrounding. More humanoids are keeping their distance from the warehouse, watching while hiding behind various barriers.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

As the warehouse district came into view Mireio started looking over it, trying to see if she could learn anything more about what was going on. She sent brief thoughts of thanking to whichever force had given her the magical knack for enhancing her eyesight to see things at great distances. "I'll try to see if i can tell something more about what is going on. My eyesight is magically enhanced to see things at great distance better. Perhaps i can make something more out. And mission control, can you tell us the layout of the warehouse and where the hostage is believed to be? Do you know the identity of the hostage, just in case one of the criminals went in with the robots."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

"Seconding the request for a map, or at least results from some Area Search spell. We should head directly for the hostage if at all possible"

Taltha just keeps the pace, waiting for Mireio or mission control to find out more data to act on, or simply arrive at the door and start. She probably should start boosting Chen a bit as soon as they had a moment's pause, too. And maybe the others, if they wanted.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2008-08-23 at 08:02 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

"The inside of the warehouse is divided into two even-sized parts, with a security station inside the northern one that monitors the entrances to both - I'm trying to access the cameras right now... what the? Unavailable - they are offline! Have these robots done it?" Albin isn't as confident as before.

Unlike Melina. "We have information about the civilian - Torn Raus, male, 28 years old, employed at the warehouse in question. He is outside the warehouse, hiding from the enemy behind a pile of crates near the southeastern corner of the building - he doesn't appear to be taken hostage. Apart from him, there are also 17 enemies outside and an unknown number inside - 6 at the southern entrance, 5 at the northern, and 6 patrolling in groups of 2 or alone."

Mireio can see the situation more closely - the enemies are covered in thick-plated and bulky metal armor, their helmets/heads and wrists bearing what can only be described as axeheads. They are slightly larger than humans, armed with large swords, and their efficient, robotic movement clearly shows their machine origin. You're too far to grab their attention yet, but also too far to shoot with any hopes of hitting.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Banned

So that was what they were up again. Brutish and primitive enemies seeming to fit more in a less developed world than Midchilda. "I have visual on the enemy. They are roughly humanoid and heavily armored. They carry swords and have axehead like protrusions from their limbs. They don't look very fast or agile. As long as we stay mobile we should be alright."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Taltha mulls the information for about a second.

"I'm not so sure" she tells Albin through the link. "It is possible that the robots just found and blew the cameras up, but by miss Satria's description they look too... baseline, too much like grunt-robots, to have been programmed for such things. I'm thinking it's likelier that whatever is blocking your access to the cameras was directly caused by one of the people responsible for all this."

Which means someone was pretty interested that the rest of the world didn't look inside the warehouse. Logical, really. Security measures used to hide the fact that there were illegal activities were only to be expected. She wouldn't be surprised if the whole central security system on the warehouse was rigged to self-destruct on a button press, just to prevent compromising camera footage from reaching wrong hands, actually. She just hoped whoever made these things didn't think like that.

She leaves that trail of thought and keeps talking to Albin.

"That, or they are being directly controlled by an actual human intelligence, of course. Remote control is a very factible possibility. I assume we can't detect any incoming signal?"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2008-08-23 at 09:11 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

There was more to this. The question of why someone had attacked the warehouse also remained to be answered. Someone was clearly keeping something in there that someone else was going to great lengths to get. That raised several questions, however. "Do you know who owns the warehouse and what they are using it to store? The behavior of the robots inside is likely influenced by this."

Turning off from addressing Albin, she instead addressed to the others. "It seems clear that our first priority is to save Mr. Raus. Apart from this learning as much as possible about why the robots are here and what they are after is the key. So i suggest that we one of us heads to get Mr. Raus out of there to the ground mages who have cordoned off the area, while the rest of us deal with the robots. Once Mr. Raus is safe the first one will join us. Any objections, suggestions or volunteers?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chen contemplated the available information, one hand stroking her chin thoughtfully. Robots, especially heavy movers and grunt specimens as this group appeared to be, were usually programmed with a simple command structure; usually specific to whatever task at hand, or in general, to obey orders. Staring that robots patrolling, she tries to determine just which variety these patrolling robots belonged to.

<I roll a Notice check to determine the nature of the Robots' programming.>

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

(1d20)[10]

"If the robots simply blew the cameras up, then it would be possible to reach the security systems and check the previous footage - but that is not the case here. The system cannot be accessed at all. There is always the possibility that these robots did it, but if you want to know my opinion... I don't think if they did it alone. There are no signals, though - they appear to be automatic."

Chen's observation seems to acknowledge Albin's words - these robots move in a manner that suggests programming, not remote control. And rather simple programming, on top of that.

"Melina is currently checking the information on the warehouse's owner. It will take a while, but we will let you know the instant we find something."
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-08-23 at 10:02 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Alright, well it seems pretty simple to me," Tara says. "We rescue the civilian, beat up all the robots, then investigate the warehouse to see what's up with the cameras! Who's with me?"

She moves forward, Device held forth. "Let's do what Taltha said. Whoever has the best defenser spells, go protect Mr. Raus! Everyone else, with me!" With that, she dashes off in the direction of the nearest group of robots, charging up energy until she gets about a hundred feet away...

Initiative - (1d20+3)[21]
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

26. - Top - End - #86
    Banned

Tara clearly wasn't one for approaching carefully and controlled, on the other hand she was not one to waste time confirming all sorts of things before acting. "We are going in. I'm going with Tara. Taltha i think you are the one most able to protect Mr. Raus, you go get him to safety." With that she raised Yoichi to point at the nearest robot not charged by Tara.

Initiative - (1d20+9)[22]
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2008-08-23 at 10:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

The closest group are the six robots located at the southern entrance.

Initiative: (1d20+1)[7]

If you've rolled higher than that, feel free to post your action. They notice you when you are around 250 feet away, so you start your round at that point. Apparently perception is not their strongest point.

EDIT: My mistake.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-08-23 at 10:29 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Following Tara with her eyes for a short moment before turning her attention to the robots. Taking brief aim she pointed Yoichi at one of them as a shimmering green wedge conjured itself over the grip of the bow. "Yoichi, Seeker." The device gem flashed briefly in reply. Affirmative. Seeker!"

The wedge rocketed forward from the bow, speeding straight towards the closest robot as it quickly passed by Tara on its way to the target.

Spoiler
    Show
    And since i have such extreme range i feel secure enough to use all-out attack for this for the extra +5 to hit. Attack (1d20+15)[33]

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

"Understood. Let me know if you need help, though. Chen, stay with them, the rest of the robots will probably come here attracted by the fight,and you might be needed here" With that, she arcs out a bit to avoid robot detection and goes around the warehouse towards the supposed point where the man would be found.

"Melina, how many enemy units are there around Raus?"

Initiative: [roll0]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

(1d20)[20] <- Taltha's initiative
    (1d20)[16] <- robot's toughness

The energy arrow goes right through the machine's chest, getting stopped only by the ground behind. Electric currents spark over the robot's armor, and it falls down on its back. And explodes.

"A patrol of two hostiles is nearby his location. They do not seem to be aware of his presence, though." Melina's voice is calm as usual.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-08-23 at 10:49 AM.

Spoiler
    Show