New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Angry Men do it again: SAVE THE COWS!

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Bla bla bla

I'll stop eating meat when it stops being the best food option available. Just because its not neccesarry doesn't mean its a bad choice. You might as well expect people to stop stepping on bugs, or killing each other. While I'm more then aware that you have the moral high ground and that I can't actually sway your opinion, I just want you to know that I have considered the options available.
    Ad hominem ahoy!

"I feel that" started my paragraph quoted. I don't have any ethical high ground because I don't think there is any ethical high ground. There is only normative statements that I follow ("I should not cause unnecessary suffering" is one) and my efforts to make my actions consistent with these statements. However, I do think "I should not cause unnecessary suffering" is something many people hold to, which is why it's such a good argument (not tooting my own horn, this argument has been around for around 200 years and I've yet to see a good, rational reply).

If you feel that the only thing important to you is your own egoistic desire for pleasure, I don't have much I can say in the way of rational argument. The reason you can't sway my opinion because all you've really said anything of value aside from, if it feels good, do it!

And I think the world would be a much better (better in my subjective world view) place if we all stopped killing each other (not sure about stepping on bugs yet), which is why I don't do it.

And its entirely too early in the morning for meta-ethics. And this'll probably be my last post on this thread.
    Praise Caine! Hail Sabbat!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Not trying to provoke anyone, but i don't see how people who don't eat meat because it's cruelty to animals can justify eating plants. Plants can react to physical stimulus which means they can feel pain. Isn't eating plants cruelty to plants? And even if they cant feel pain, you're still killing them.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Semidi View Post

I feel that causing unnecessary suffering for the sake for hedonistic pleasure (which seems like your philosophic world view) is immoral. Eating meat in modern society is unnecessary as it is easy to survive without it and be completely healthy (Note: referring to normal people here, someone may have some kind of freaky disorder). The meat industry, at least in the US, causes huge numbers of animals to suffer from the time they are born to the time they end up on your dinner plate. By not eating meat, one chooses to not support this unnecessary suffering. I accept the objection that organic, free range dead animal flesh might not be bad as these animals aren't treated inhumanely. I am a total vegetarian (and a sometimes vegan as I avoid some animal products) because I cannot make sure that these animals really aren't suffering.
    And I find it odd that my species climbed its way to the top of the food chain through hunting, and using its developed brain should stop doing what it did to get to the point we're at today.

How many mice do your grain combines kill? Moles? Snakes? You don't eat those, so its senseless butchery. At least I eat whats killed for my food. Morality has no place in suvival.

People suffer everyday because they can't eat. By saying "i refuse that on my plate" is more insulting and morally cruel to those people who never get a choice then anything else. If you want eat the bacon, give it to someone who will and who needs it.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    People suffer everyday because they can't eat. By saying "i refuse that on my plate" is more insulting and morally cruel to those people who never get a choice then anything else. If you want eat the bacon, give it to someone who will and who needs it.
    Don't try and blame me for people starving. Just because I don't eat meat doesn't mean I'm some sort of puppy-kicking misanthrope who doesn't want starving people to eat. I don't eat meat because I don't have to. If I had to eat meat to survive, I would, but don't demonize me just because I'm different than you.
    Last edited by Vespe Ratavo; 2008-08-25 at 06:22 PM.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Semidi View Post
    Ad hominem ahoy!

"I feel that" started my paragraph quoted. I don't have any ethical high ground because I don't think there is any ethical high ground. There is only normative statements that I follow ("I should not cause unnecessary suffering" is one) and my efforts to make my actions consistent with these statements. However, I do think "I should not cause unnecessary suffering" is something many people hold to, which is why it's such a good argument (not tooting my own horn, this argument has been around for around 200 years and I've yet to see a good, rational reply).

If you feel that the only thing important to you is your own egoistic desire for pleasure, I don't have much I can say in the way of rational argument. The reason you can't sway my opinion because all you've really said anything of value aside from, if it feels good, do it!

And I think the world would be a much better (better in my subjective world view) place if we all stopped killing each other (not sure about stepping on bugs yet), which is why I don't do it.

And its entirely too early in the morning for meta-ethics. And this'll probably be my last post on this thread.
    I don't really think the "right thing" enters the equation with animals whose only remaining purpose is to be food, while not the greatest situation it provides us with good, tasty food. A lot more then I can say for so many vegetarian places I've been to with my mums veggie boyfriend.

If vegetarian options were reliably even close to as tasty as meat, and contained all that ... meaty goodness then I'd consider it. I'm still waiting
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I'm with Igor.