New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hell Raisers

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Hell Raisers

Who am I? I'm a nobody, you know, just a guy who knew some guys who found themselves in a spot that they didn't want ta be in on. And....AND...hey, Lenny, your killin' me here, could ya just shut that fat face of yours just just one friggin' minute.

Sorry, sorry, now as I was sayin', you see, this whole thing started with me and the boys gettin' The Message.

Happened right after the big dinner rush, see, and we was just doin' what we was always doin' - cleanin' up and gettin' the place ready for the evenin'. Nothin' seemed weird or nothin'. Just a regular sorta day workin' the slop in the slimiest rag of a tavern this side a Minauros.

Our boys, well they were just all sent inta the bowels the joint right, the boss wanted everthin' just perfect fer his poker game with some a the local scumbags. Problem was, he never exactly made that meeting.

'Cause all of a sudden some a the Osyluth muscle arrives right, big nasty sort a goons working fer the Don Paeliryon. Smackin' right past the doors and hittin' up tha boss like nobodies business. Wam-Bam. He's down right, boom, like game over.

The place cleared out pretty fast after somebody gets whacked like that. I mean, the Don doesn't just call a hit on nobodies right, so somethin' big was goin' down. Course, the goons didn't seem ta care none. They just start workin' the place over, tearin' out the beams and walls like left, right, and centre.

Me, now I got outta there like nothin', right. Was half across town before the rest a the Don's goombas started showin' up. Whole freakin' brigade a Orthons from whats I heard. Flattened the whole place and started pavin' over it right slick. Now you'd now the place as the Track. Serves a mean drink and the foods not bad, but everybody who's anybody round here just goes fer the races, am I right? Biggest Nightmare race-track in the planes I reckon.

But anyway, me an everyone from the of gang thought our boys down in the basement was toast right. Just paved right ever, dead. A course we all know now that's not tha case eh? Lenny here leaned that damned hard let him tell ya. Seems the boys made it by sure enough, and they told me that those first days in that pit went somethin' like this:

Spoiler
    Show
    Most of you were preparing a Hellboar on a spit when you hear the commotion upstairs. Your stomachs drop out and you get a greasy feeling - the boss must be dead, and what shambles of your soul he once held just slithered its way back.

Not a moment later a great crash brings down the roof above and scatters you amongst debris. The rubble stops about three feet from the dirt floor giving just enough room for the larger devils to crawl around.

The basement is about ten by twenty feet and the ceiling now only 3 feet high and fully crushed inward in the odd place. The spit and the hellboar carcass are along the eastern long wall next to the open oven. The western long wall is almost completely gone under the rubble. To the south is where the stairs once where and the doors to the broom closet and offices. The northern section is now a badly crumpled kitchen and slaughter area. Specific details and stuff in the quadrants only described to those who check them.

There is seven of you trapped here, you five and two other workers; Thrugle (the late boss's accountant who's office hole was behind the broom closet down here), and Kisper (a small fiendish fire elemental who lives in the oven).

Step one is to get out of this mess before the creaking ceiling crushes you to nothingness.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Hell Raisers

After the ceiling stops collapsing for a moment, Glob slowly takes down his clawed hands, which he had placed over his rat-like head.
    He couldn't believe that he was still alive. At least for now.
    Quickly, he started searching the slaughter and kitchen area for any kind of useful tool, not wasting any words or precious moments.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2008-08-22 at 06:18 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Rylian
    Rylian not think so well no more, me not hear self talk in long time, me forget if me use right words. Me not really understand what go on. Me not know much more than what be next to Rylian. Hellboar smell good, but me cannot eat hellboar, hellboar be for Rylian's master. Me think kitchen getting smaller. If it get too small, Rylian bones would break. Me crawl to stairs, check if me can leave.

"can Rylian have break now? me not think me be able to do job! me also need lunch break!"
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-08-22 at 06:38 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Levi

The dragonlike features of levi become obvious when he is forced from standing to being on all fours, his tail-stinger smashing into the roof causing rocks to hit him square on the head.
    frustrated he spits out Yes Rylian, I think this is the perfect time for a break, talking about it, let's ALL take a good long break, OUTSIDE!

Levi looks over at the fire elemental You too smoky, This place is not safe or proper for any of us now! as he begins to head to the stairs as well.

Spoiler
    Show

i guess that part of his soul was the couragous or just plain bitchy part :)

5. - Top - End - #5

Narrator

Heh, yep, right on the money there pal, lemme buy you another round then. Lenny, a round of shots!

Were was I? Right, so there the boys were, crouched and coverin' like a bunch a dretches thinkin' the whole world was collapsin'. They tell me the first to the stairs got hit with it first right. Reality, hits like a pit fiend's backhand, you know what I'm sayin'. One look at those stairs and the boys knew it was hopeless. Stairs didn't go nowhere 'cause there was like, nothin' left to go to. Freakin' mess. And then theys start to smell the asphalt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stairs are totaled. There is no upper level left at all and it is already being paved over.

Glob, in his quick search of the kitchen area finds the following things among the rubble:
    Spoiler
    Show

A collection of steak knifes (2 daggers of each size ranging from tiny to large)
    A Large Meat Cleaver (Rylian's)
    A Large, and a Small, Heavy Frying Pan (can be used as a shield - all the stats of a heavy metal shield except only +1 AC)
    A set of pots (maybe helmets??)
    Is what is obvious. A thorough search would take twice as long and need a search check. (same with other areas, quick searches find obvious without a check but taking time and a check may reveal more.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Levi

****! screw that, hmm...

looks around the room, sees the pots, pans, and knives

Pots, pans, dang kitchen knives, why don't we keep keep anything useful down here!

digs through anything he can get his claws on and checks the walls carefully for any way to get away from the collapsing roof

Dang it, everyone, check the walls, there has to be some way out of......Smoky! what's below your oven?

Spoiler
    Show

ok, yes i have 10-12 in any stats related to all this, but in desperation I am looking everywhere. The reason for looking under the oven is the waste products from cooking has to go somewhere, and if that somewhere is more reinforced than where we are now, then good. Now tell me if I need to delete that as I seriously doubt Ixious has an INT of 12, so Ixious > Levi

Now search roll, no modifer for the floor
    [roll]d20[/roll]

Search roll for a passage out of here specifically under the oven
    (d20)[14]

yes, i have no modifier to search
    Last edited by ixious; 2008-08-22 at 09:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Rylian

Rylian go get me own knife back. Me not think me be back for long time.

"Kisper, where are you? me need you help melt big hole! you no help mean you be crushed!"

Rylian think for minute. Me try remember if offices have extra set of stairs. Me try remember how we move food into basement. Me search east part of kitchen. Me see if anything me can use there.

(1d20-3)[15]
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-08-22 at 09:51 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Lem

Lem was busy with the Hellboar on a spit when it all happened. Lem felt odd in its tummy and poked it, trying to see if there was something wrong with it. As it did, the world as Lem knew it changed as the top of it came down and debris and rubble seemed everywhere. Lem quickly jumped up, scared by it all and wanted to panic, afraid of the world crushing him. But neither did Lem want to get hit for stopping his work, so he looked at the Hellboar again, studying it with the expertise of a chef.

His work was interrupted when he heard that it was break time. Lem turned his molten mass of flesh, in short, his body, and oozed along the floor for a bit. He looked towards Levi, who had said it was break time. Lem looked with a pathetic facial expression, a mixture of permanent anguish and current confusion. Levi had said it was time for break outside. Yet, Levi and the others had talked about things like that before, and Lem had gotten in trouble with it. He heard break time, but when he then took a break, he got hit and told it was not break time. Besides, it did not really seem like an order. Confused, and still scared because the world had become smaller and full with rubble, Lem decided to do what he could do best. Go on with preparing the Hellboar.

But Levi kept interrupting, shouting that they had to check the walls. And so Lem did, oozing his body of molten flesh around and looking at the walls, tilting his head slightly as he did not know what to look for. Because Lem did not know what to check for, he swiftly 'checked' (looked at) the walls and returned his focus back to the Hellboar. He did notice how the others were busy and scared with this new situation, and was happy to see them dealing with it. He hopped up and turned the spit of the Hellboar, so that it would get nicely done. It also momentarily walked towards the kitchen area, to get some things for the Hellboar preparation. Lem did notice the bad state of the kitchen and reminded that he would have to clean up the kitchen later. He also looked about a bit, hoping that nobody would mind what he would do. Still scared, Lem took one of the pots and put it on his head, feeling much safer from debris falling down now. With a somewhat smile on his face amidst the anguish, he returned to the Hellboar.

As Lem was busy with the Hellboar again, he noticed Rylian searching the east part of the kitchen. Lem tried to think of what Rylian had said just a moment ago. Rylian talked to Kisper and threatened to crush him if he did not melt a big hole. Lem looked at Rylian with a look of confusion amidst its look of anguish, as if wondering what Rylian was doing or wanted. Slowly, ever so slowly, it dawned on Lem that maybe, Rylian was not threatening to crush Kisper, but the top of the world would crush on him. If Lem can draw Rylian's attention, Lem will point at Rylian, then at Kisper, than at the wall and look back at Rylian with a questioning look.

9. - Top - End - #9

Kisper

The flickering red light of the elemental pokes out from the cast-iron stove, "No hole here, just Krisper."

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Krisper burns without wood there is practically no waste so no ash to dump.

However, starting near the oven, Levi follows on of the many small blood troughs cut into the floor. The angled little scorings drain slop and gore from the slaughter area into a grated hole.

Thrugle

"Ghahhh! Papers! Contracts! All gone. My life's work is gone," the fidgety little clerical imp hops in tight circles. You have seen panic attacks like this over the years during rounding errors or audit season.

Other Things:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lem, working with the Hellboar keeps preparing its spit. The spit is basically a medium sized spear. Beside the oven are two smaller spears, one small one for poultry and a tiny one for frogs.

Nope, only one set of stairs. The offices where tiny holes in the walls where the clerical imps worked behind the broom closet. Looking over Rylian can barely see the broom closet has collapsed and its contents spilled onto the floor.

In the east kitchen near the oven, Rylian smells out the pantry. This small box is not broken, but there are about twenty greasy meat pies still inside. Beside it he can smell one of the stale casks of beer that survived.

10. - Top - End - #10

"There has to be something more useful here!", Glob proclaims.
    "And by the Serpents Coils, find a way out of here!"
    He grabs the smallest two steak knives, tugging them into the short piece of rope he uses as a belt, and then continues digging through the rubble, throwing dust and pieces of rock aside with his clawed hand and sniffing.

Spoiler
    Show

Search check:
    (1d20+9)[13]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Levi

Heading for the grate, Everyone, down here now! Thrugle, your paperwork can wait, anyone who wants to live follow me as he tries to lift the grate

Spoiler
    Show

Strength Check
    (d20+1)[19]

assuming DC is 20ish, any modifiers for self-preservation?

Aww screw it, Smoky, come over here for a minute, i need you to melt this grate so we can get out of here!
    Last edited by ixious; 2008-08-23 at 11:39 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Rylian

Mmmm pie. Me need pie more than master right now. Me take box for me self and start dragging it around. Me sniff beer. Me wonder if beer can burn.

"what grate? me not know what you need melt. me no can melt, but me can help."

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Buzzing around agitatedly, Vrith yelled at everyone We're gonna need to organize a bit, any one o' you lot strong enough to break metal? cuz if you don't, Smoky 'ere is gonna get a lot bigger, and we're all gonna get a lot crispier
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Lem

Unable to attract Rylian's attention, Lem oozes over the floor slowly, moving around the Hellboar on the spit for a bit. It was unsure of what to do, because at the moment the Hellboar was doing alright. It looked at the others, slightly curious as what they were doing. Thrugle was panicking, Glob was digging, Levi was trying to lift a grate, Rylian was near a box and Vrith was yelling. Lem continued to ooze around, not knowing what to do or how to help. It figured the situation was bad, with the panicking, the hurried behaviour and the ceiling coming down, but did not know how to help, so it just oozed over the floor near the Hellboar. It still made sure the Hellboar was doing alright, but was nervous about what to do now. Then an idea hit him. Because of all the rubble, this place had become a mess! And thus, Lem tried to ooze towards the broom closet, only to find the stairs collapsed. Still, he tried to see if there was a broom around which he could use to clean things up.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Rylian

"hey Lem, you want meat pie? me no think this good time for dance."
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-08-24 at 12:39 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

just short of screaming, blood coming from his claws from repeated attempts at the grate, Levi beats the ground next to him then grips the bars again

This is not time for dinner, and forget the dang hellhog, i know half of you are a bit special, but come over here to this grate OR WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE"

cooling down marginally, looking at the special faces around him he just short of telepathing screams
    ...good....things....in...grate..open...grate..ple ase?

At this point Levi is clenching his teeth trying not to lash out at any of them, Krisper hasnt come over, no one is helping him lift this grate, and the ceiling is looking lower and lower, knashing his teeth..

ANY..EFFING...ONE...JUST..HELP...ME!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Rylian

"you need break grate, why not say so?"

Rylian take knife in both hands. knife be my favorite. Rylian use knife on grate.

"RAHHH! AHHH! YAHH!"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two-handed power attacks for full on the grate, repeatedly. I forget, do I have to make an attack roll when I'm attacking an inanimate object?

Attack roll: (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage roll: (1d10+16)[19]

Attack roll: (1d20-2)[16]
    Damage roll: (1d10+16)[18]

Attack roll: (1d20+3)[4]
    Damage roll: (1d10+16)[17]

Attack roll: (1d20-2)[0]
    Damage roll: (1d10+16)[24]

Attack roll: (1d20+3)[11]

Attack roll: (1d20-2)[1]

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Lem

Meat pie? Meat pie! Meat pie! Lem quickly hurried over to Rylian in his oozing way of crossing the floor, looking as if he wanted to get the meat pie. Instead, Rylian was slashing at the grate, shouting loudly. Meat pie, Meat pie! That was what Lem wanted, so he jumped up and down a bit, eager to get treats. But Rylian was busy with his slashing and shouting. Though his shouting was perhaps not as loudly as that other one besides him, Levi. He was threatening to kill everybody if they did not come to the grate is what Lem finally made out of it, or he was asking for help. Lem, however, had no idea how to help with the grate, unless it was slashing at it just like Rylian was doing. Figuring that was it, Lem's brains started to reason. If Lem help Rylian, Lem get meat pie. If Lem help Rylian, Levi not punish Lem. Lem help Rylian! With that easy reasoning out of the way, Lem started to attack the grate as well, using his claws and slashing in between the strikes of Rylian.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attacking the grate, though unlikely Lem will be able to pierce its hardness.

Attack: (1d20+8)[28]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

Attack: (1d20+8)[12]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

Attack: (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: (1d4)[2]

Attack: (1d20+8)[15]
    Damage: (1d4)[2]

Attack: (1d20+8)[13]
    Damage: (1d4)[1]
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-08-24 at 01:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

yea for rolling damage, heck i was just roll playing it out, but if smokey won't melt it, then i guess we have to beat it.

Attack:
    (d20+4)[19]

Damage
    (1d3+1)[3]

Attack:
    (d20+4)[24]

Damage
    (1d3+1)[4]

Attack:
    (d20+4)[11]

Damage
    (1d3+1)[4]

20. - Top - End - #20

Spoiler
    Show

Lem over at the broom closet finds a broom (acts as quarterstaff)

When all are gathered at the gate most of you do absolutely nothing, but the might of Rylian begins to visibly bend the grate after a few whomps. He does manage to miss twice and the overswing nearly takes off Levi's head. One massive crash later and the grate falls twisted into the depths and crashes a second later. (Ironically str check to lift it was indeed 20...so if anyone helped it would have gone easily)

Thrugle

"Ahh, must be sewers yes yes," the small imp flutters and then climbs down into the depths.

Spoiler
    Show
    As everyone else climbs down (if done above) please make spot checks to get a sense of your surroundings

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Levi

Being barely missed by Rylian's swing, Levi prepares to yell, then looks into the glob, knowing he had no idea what he did, he kept his mouth shut. Levi looks around and thinks loudly
    "Thank you'
    and begins climbing down

i do wonder how our legless comrads will fair on a ladder, best i hurry down and out of the way before I find out

Spot: (d20+1)[16]
    Last edited by ixious; 2008-08-24 at 09:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Lem

Lem looks as the grate plunges down below. Soon after, he notices how everybody is gathered around the plate and how Thrugle and Levi climb down. Considering how they were shouting about leaving this place, Lem figured that everybody else would go too and that he should go along. Yet, just in case, he brought the broom with him. He also looked at Rylian for a while and seemed to holds his claws together in a begging motion, as if wanting something. This was, obviously, the meat pie Rylian had talked about before.

Soon, Lem was climbing down with the others, using his claws to hold him in the process as his shape oozed along. Eventually, he reached down and started to look around, including the others, wondering what to do for them now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+11)[26]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Rylian

"Lem, you want food. here go you." me hand pie to Lem as me say that.

Me wait for others finish climbing and then me climb down with box of pies and knife in box of pies.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-08-25 at 05:31 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

24. - Top - End - #24

Glob

Abandoning his search, Glob just grabs all the knives and potential weapons he can get his hands on and, with the whole pile in his tiny hands, tries to flutter down the hole without dropping it or crashing down.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Lem

Pie! And with that, Lem bounces up and down a bit before he quickly grabs the offered meat pie from Lyrian and starts to munch on it. Mmmm, pie. Lem is obviously enjoying the pie a lot and eats it up quickly, delighting in the taste in a quick and intense way. Licking his lips and claws when he is done, Lem looks very happy with a smile drawn across his face. He rubs his belly, trying to show Rylian that he enjoyed the pie a lot. Bouncing happily up and down, Lem then made his way towards the grate and climbed down, obviously satisfied.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Levi

Stretching out his wings and legs, Levi "stands up" once again, going from dragonelle to more like a gargoyle statue, and looking around thinks loudly Is this everyone? I'd would like us to get out from und...ehh screw it, gotta keep it simple...FORWARD...GO...GOOD?

Looking around and the oozing and fluttering company around him, Levi begins to question if it had been better he had been crushed. He doesn't know why, for who knows how long he worked with these devils and never noticed how dumb and ugly they are were, or maybe he never cared.

27. - Top - End - #27

Narrator

So there they were right, knee deep in filth crawling along the deep sewers. And armed with nothin' but broomsticks and kitchen knifes. Now, I ain't sayin' I'd be any more graceful, you know, but from the stories I've been hearin', they weren't what you'd call an elite force.

Spoiler
    Show
    You are in a cramped and small sewer tunnel. The tunnel to the rights ends in a collapse only 5 feet away, while the left twists out of sight. Medium creatures find the current space cramped and need to squeeze in places where gunk has built up (average -2 hit and -2 AC for lightly squeezed - medium devils only).

The area is lined with roots and the odd fungal mass. The right collapse is a twist of roots and plant mass than buckled the sewer supports. The odd glint off of Krisper can be seen in the mass of roots. Likely things swept down and lost into the grate from the tavern over the years.

Lem only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lem notices the the roots seem to tremble and maybe move...he drops a crumb of the pie and a root tendril curls around the morsel.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Rylian

"me not like vine, vine block us move. you think me should chop vine up as us move?"
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-08-26 at 01:50 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Lem

After having looked around, Lem spotted something peculiar. He bounced up and down, but quickly stopped this once his head bumped against the ceiling. Lem pointed towards the way to the left, looking a bit in distress. When Rylian proposed to chop vine up as they moved, Lem quickly nodded and kept nodding for a while, as it did not seem to like the vines.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Rylian

"Okay, me chop at vines."

Spoiler
    Show
    Power attack for full, with -2 penalty from squeezing, I think.
    Attack roll 1: (1d20+1)[13]
    Damage roll 1: (1d10+16)[23]
    Attack roll 2: (1d20-4)[12]
    Damage roll 2: (1d10+16)[19]

Attack roll 1: (1d20+1)[7]
    Damage roll 1: (1d10+16)[23]
    Attack roll 2: (1d20-4)[12]
    Damage roll 2: (1d10+16)[22]

Attack roll 1: (1d20+1)[14]
    Damage roll 1: (1d10+16)[17]
    Attack roll 2: (1d20-4)[3]
    Damage roll 2: (1d10+16)[22]

Attack roll 1: (1d20+1)[14]
    Damage roll 1: (1d10+16)[18]
    Attack roll 2: (1d20-4)[7]
    Damage roll 2: (1d10+16)[25]

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.