New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Erf 118, Pg 106

1. - Top - End - #361
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erf 118, Pg 106

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II View Post
    To hastily Chain Sizemore, Wanda and/or Maggie, killing their individuality in order to have a more powerful bonus on uncroaked/artifacted troops.
    I wonder what the combined caster would be able to do.

Lookamancy/Thinkamancy/Foolamancy gives the control board. This allows orders to be given to units (Thinkamancy) and also to see the where units are located (Lookamancy). Foolamancy doesn't seem to add anything to the mix. Maybe he is the one that creates the board display itself, i.e. an illusion.

When Parson asks if everyone has a setup like that, Wanda says that Ansom doesn't have a lookamancer. Maybe with a lookamancer would allow a board to be created by saying what is in each hex, but they would have to manually create the board by placing the units that the lookamancer sees on the board. This wouldn't be as good as the automatic board that they have.

Alternatively, she may have meant that Ansom has thinkamancers and foolamancers and it is the lookamancer that he is missing.

Anyway, maybe a croak/think/dirt chain would allow the combined caster to create golems out of dead bodies, maybe a single unit made up of many corpses. These units could then be commanded at range by the Thinkamancer.

Also, I wonder what would be the effect of having a chained caster lead a stack. Would both golems and uncroaked units get a bonus.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raphfrk View Post
    Also, I wonder what would be the effect of having a chained caster lead a stack. Would both golems and uncroaked units get a bonus.
    I don't think it would really be possible for the linked casters to lead a stack (they seem to perhaps be less aware of their surroundings than an individual unit). However maybe (and this is a stretch) the dirtathinkacroakamancer would give it's bonuses to all uncroaked and golems within that the thinkamancer gives orders to.

This would be so powerful, that I could see an evil and ruthless Parson keeping the three of them perma-chained the way Stanley did to the eyemancer trio, and sending forth an ever growing and extremely powerful army.

I keep coming back to the idea that Parson is going to become the next BBEG. It makes so much sense when you consider the spoiler Rob gave us about the future of Erfworld.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by raphfrk View Post
    Anyway, maybe a croak/think/dirt chain would allow the combined caster to create golems out of dead bodies, maybe a single unit made up of many corpses. These units could then be commanded at range by the Thinkamancer.

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    I don't think it would really be possible for the linked casters to lead a stack (they seem to perhaps be less aware of their surroundings than an individual unit). However maybe (and this is a stretch) the dirtathinkacroakamancer would give it's bonuses to all uncroaked and golems within that the thinkamancer gives orders to.

This would be so powerful, that I could see an evil and ruthless Parson keeping the three of them perma-chained the way Stanley did to the eyemancer trio, and sending forth an ever growing and extremely powerful army.
    I do think the bonus would apply to all uncroaked and golem units. (Let's collectively call them both constructs, to make it easier to refer to.) They could probably also create "mixed breed" constructs like the D&D bone golem, or a hydra/Tiamat from multiple dead dragons... or Legion/Granfaloon, from the Castlevania series.

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Legion

Not to mention that this would probably also allow the combined trio to raise/create constructs in any square where their side has units and thus a connection to view it. Wanda and Sizemore wouldn't have to actually go to a hex to create constructs - they could do it at range.

Don't forget that Wanda and Sizemore have other abilities as well, which this linkup might allow them to use at range. Sizemore's ability to dig / raise walls / otherwise do earth-related stuff would obviously be extremely useful if it could be done anywhere within range, and Wanda of course is multitalented.

Plus I can just see the synergistic effects of a Croakamancer and Dirtamancer - all sorts of grave-themed effects. Plunge enemies into open graves, morph Gobwin Knob into something resembling Halloweentown, etc. ;)

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is it that people say Parson's dragon gambit means he is not the perfect warlord because it failed? Do you honestly believe that Kasparov never lost a chess game, even when he was learning the ropes? Do you believe Boxer didnt lose even one game even when he was starting out? Because it's essentially the same. Parson had barely a working grasp of the rules at the time, and yet still was able to engineer a tactic that if it had gone as planned, would have totally stymied the coalition for a long time, as it's explicitly stated that siege units have low move, and are likely to take a long time to make, and simultaneously threaten Ansom. It didnt pan out, but it came damned close, and displayed a magnificent level of cunning and intrinsic skill that puts most of us, and that almost certainly includes his detractors, to the point some thirty leagues to the far end of shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

5. - Top - End - #365
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Why is it that people say Parson's dragon gambit means he is not the perfect warlord because it failed? Do you honestly believe that Kasparov never lost a chess game, even when he was learning the ropes? Do you believe Boxer didnt lose even one game even when he was starting out? Because it's essentially the same. Parson had barely a working grasp of the rules at the time, and yet still was able to engineer a tactic that if it had gone as planned, would have totally stymied the coalition for a long time, as it's explicitly stated that siege units have low move, and are likely to take a long time to make, and simultaneously threaten Ansom. It didnt pan out, but it came damned close, and displayed a magnificent level of cunning and intrinsic skill that puts most of us, and that almost certainly includes his detractors, to the point some thirty leagues to the far end of shame.
    Because it's widely believed that there were much better options, several of which have been proposed and discussed here. Personally I don't buy it; I suspect that if we could talk directly to Parson and discuss those options with him, he'd shoot down every single one of them, using the perfect battlefield intel he had at the time (and which we have never had, and don't have, even now) to show how disastrous those moves would likely have been. But it's all hypothetical and in the past, and no amount of discussion is going to reveal the things that Parson knew that we don't.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy."

Simply, just because a plan fails, that does not mean that it was a bad plan; the plan's failure is not completely Parson's fault.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2008-08-30 at 05:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Hack View Post
    Special: Summoned from another world.
    Special: Gets tired going down stairs.
    Special: Big.

It would be a let-down if the first were the "special"

Usually "special" refers to gameplay affecting mods not covered in standard rules. Flavor text and background info are usually left out. I'd consider those all flavor text.

I'm voting for the first one. An outsiders perspective has enabled Parson to totaly change the face of the Erf.
    Err, NOT. Nothing that Parson has done has been outside the capabilities or necessarily the imagination of existing characters. He has introduced no radical innovations. Especially no "earthlike" conventions. Everything he has done so far fits in standard wargame dogma: horse trading, betrayals, counter-alliances, etc.

Warfare standard tactics are standard because they usually work best. Books are always having some character come along and exploit a situational advantage that ignores convention making the other general look bad for following it. But the other general wasn't stupid for following convention, the other general was stupid for doggedly following convention without considering and allowing for alternatives. And sometimes, the other general just got unlucky.

When Parson had the dragons attack the seige engines and withdraw, giving the allies "victories" even though most of the generals only considered the victory status and celebrated, Vinnie did not. Thus I say, the tactics Parson used are outside convention, but not so radical that it requires an outsider to immagine. And it's not his "outsiderness" that makes Parson such a great warlord, it is his experience playing wargames until his eyes bleed.
    Last edited by ishnar; 2008-08-30 at 06:34 PM.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

8. - Top - End - #368
    Pixie in the Playground

Everyone has picked up on how Ansom is worried about all the archons floating around. but no one has really noticed that a couple turns before that Jillian buzzed the tower and all the air defenses went off and he saw that. So i really think he is confused enough by the situation that hes going to do something really bad for himself.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    It would be a let-down if the first were the "special"

Usually "special" refers to gameplay affecting mods not covered in standard rules. Flavor text and background info are usually left out. I'd consider those all flavor text.
    The emoticon at the bottom indicated that my list was an attempt at humour. Humour is usually not intended to be taken seriously, or if it is, it is meant to be so in an indirect way. I'd consider direct and serious analysis of it as a rather sad case of literalism.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

So this goof mentioned in the cereal. Maybe stanley shoulda ponied up for the support plan.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    So this goof mentioned in the cereal. Maybe stanley shoulda ponied up for the support plan.
    I'll keep taht in mind if I ever summon up the person that is suposed to save my kingdom from total destruction. It may cost extra, but at least there won't be any goof ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

12. - Top - End - #372

Quote Originally Posted by hiigaran View Post
    Everyone has picked up on how Ansom is worried about all the archons floating around. but no one has really noticed that a couple turns before that Jillian buzzed the tower and all the air defenses went off and he saw that. So i really think he is confused enough by the situation that hes going to do something really bad for himself.
    Well, first off, Wanda set off the air defence spells, and second off, she had previously said that they were one time use things.

Though she only set off "Most" of them, so I would imagine that there are still a few left, but not nearly so potent.

And that Parson wouldn't set them off unless he he was being attacked (they do work when it isn't your turn).

13. - Top - End - #373
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Norsesmithy View Post
    Well, first off, Wanda set off the air defence spells, and second off, she had previously said that they were one time use things.

Though she only set off "Most" of them, so I would imagine that there are still a few left, but not nearly so potent.

And that Parson wouldn't set them off unless he he was being attacked (they do work when it isn't your turn).
    All true, but Ansom doesn't know that much. So the question is legit: what is Ansom thinking of the Archons unarmed in a supposedly hostile space?

14. - Top - End - #374

Is anybody else wondering if the Tardy Elves will be making an appearance on Parson's side? That conversation is unclear on the exact timing- Does "4 or 5 more turns" mean "from now" or "from when the lofty elves and shady elves show up"?

An unexpected ally appearing on the rear flank of your enemy is a very effective way of breaking a seige. And Ansom HAS already broken an alliance that might have been the deciding factor.
    Tardy Elves FTW!
    I was thinking of a policy of "Uncroak now, disinter later". - Me

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    Is anybody else wondering if the Tardy Elves will be making an appearance on Parson's side? That conversation is unclear on the exact timing- Does "4 or 5 more turns" mean "from now" or "from when the lofty elves and shady elves show up"?

An unexpected ally appearing on the rear flank of your enemy is a very effective way of breaking a seige. And Ansom HAS already broken an alliance that might have been the deciding factor.
    By definition, the Tardy elves always show up too late to be useful. If Parson allied with them, the would show up... the round afterGK fell.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Banned

By definition, the Tardy elves always show up too late to be useful. If Parson allied with them, the would show up... the round afterGK fell.
    I can't help myself NOT to think of the last panel of the (hypothetical) end of this story arc. The battle is finished, winners are moaning their fallen, losers bites the dust or flee for their life. A magnificent Parson is standing on the ruins, immersed in deep thoughts.

And then, an army of Tardy Elves appear, a little confused. And they humbly ask Parson if, by chance, he could point them where Prince Ansom camp is.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't help myself NOT to think of the last panel of the (hypothetical) end of this story arc. The battle is finished, winners are moaning their fallen, losers bites the dust or flee for their life. A magnificent Parson is standing on the ruins, immersed in deep thoughts.

And then, an army of Tardy Elves appear, a little confused. And they humbly ask Parson if, by chance, he could point them where Prince Ansom camp is.
    That would be classic. This ending gets my vote with no reservations at all.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

18. - Top - End - #378

Erfworld is truly one of the best pieces of fiction I have ever seen, a true tragicomic opera. I love the contrast between the cuteness of Erfworld, how intensely human the characters are, and how literature classic the plot is.

I could go on, but I had speculated enough. I can't wait to see what happens! If and/or when this becomes a book, I would pay some serious money just to own it.

Forgive me if someone else has said this, but I predict that person will order Sizemore to collapse all the tunnels, completely destroying the city in Gobwin Knob.

The setup is perfect. Person already put everyone he has on the city walls, which will not collapse, being part of the natural walls of the cult there. Because Prince Ansom stupidly sent only his own forces into the tunnels, it is Jetstone that will be devastated. His allies could very well desert him for his obviously poor judgment and concluding that Gobwin Knob is no longer a threat.

Before or after his allies desert him, and some will go half crazy with humiliation and frustration. He will order an all-out attack with all his remaining forces, including himself, which is the dicey 2-1 scenario that person is thinking about. He would then collect the Arkenpliers from Ansom's dead body.

19. - Top - End - #379

Taht would be epic. Especialy if he gave them really bad directions, and we see a camio of them later trecking through some forsaken blizardy mountain pass going "Ansom shouldn't be too far ahead of us now."
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    Taht would be epic. Especialy if he gave them really bad directions, and we see a camio of them later trecking through some forsaken blizardy mountain pass going "Ansom shouldn't be too far ahead of us now."
    Those are the Astray Elves, not the Tardy Elves. Ansom dissoved the alliance with them two turns before he dissoved the one with the Tardy Elves. When they sent a report that they had just arrived at the eastern ocean.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I keep coming back to the idea that Parson is going to become the next BBEG. It makes so much sense when you consider the spoiler Rob gave us about the future of Erfworld.
    What is that spoiler exactly? Missed it.
    /co/ is love.