New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Erf 118, Pg 106

1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erf 118, Pg 106

Quote Originally Posted by The Boyce View Post
    Because he is not currently in the position of Player he is interacting with his units on a human level clouding his ability to think of them as we would a chess piece or elf in a war game. In the Player's position they have no personality no life they are just pieces.
    So you're saying that for parson to be a player, he can't have any control over his own actions, making him, in essence a CPU or an NPC

Quote Originally Posted by PePe_QuiCoSE View Post
    Though, when Parson was summoned, Stanley asked for someone who wouldn't have a moral case about being summoned, so i don't think that the completion of the spell would bring any mental/ethic issues to Parson.
    Actully, he wanted to avoid a Morale issue, not a moral one.
    Last edited by Mal; 2008-08-24 at 12:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by selgnij View Post
    Edit: on ruthlessness. The best description I've heard is being able to see the perfect line between point A and point B and not caring about anything in between besides how perfect it is.
    Best definition I've ever heard as well. Ruthlessness is being able to send your best friend to his death because it's the best move to make.

BTW, were you quoting Marco?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Boop.

Just. Boop.

Parson is now the Perfect Warlord. Things are getting seriously interesting.

Also, "ruthlessness" does not mean sacrificing one's friends and allies needlessly. It means sacrificing one's friends and allies when that is what it takes to win. Someone's going to die soon. Maybe Bogroll. Maybe a certain Dirtamancer.

Maybe Wanda.

I can't wait.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xopher.tm View Post
    Boop.

Just. Boop.

Parson is now the Perfect Warlord. Things are getting seriously interesting.

Also, "ruthlessness" does not mean sacrificing one's friends and allies needlessly. It means sacrificing one's friends and allies when that is what it takes to win. Someone's going to die soon. Maybe Bogroll. Maybe a certain Dirtamancer.

Maybe Wanda.

I can't wait.
    You can't wait for Bogroll, Sizemore, or Wanda to die?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Sizemore won't die. The full extent of this scene hasn't been explained yet.

If someone dies, it is going to be bogroll. Fortunately, bogroll can regenerate or whatever that means.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    So you're saying that for parson to be a player, he can't have any control over his own actions, making him, in essence a CPU or an NPC
    No, I'm saying to be the Player he has to be able to look at his units like a Player would. When you lose a pawn or bishop in Chess you do not bury it, you do not weep, you do not feel sad(unless you screwed up) you simply accept it and move on.

7. - Top - End - #67

SolithKnightGuy

Really, though, what part of 'Tragically Malicious' doesn't seem like it's beating you over the head with foreshadowing? As it is getting to be much less of a question about wiether Parson will win, there's gotta be something else to it. Maybe compassion will be the least expected move of a seemingly desperate Warlord, and it might not hit until almost too late.

Seems pretty standard dramatic fare, so it'll likely be changed up to some degree.

8. - Top - End - #68

I would submit that the "ruthlessness" matter may be a little different from what some of you are making of it. Sure, maybe it's an ability that gives him some stat bonuses, but there's another facet. He questioned it when he read it on the box, then he took up the sword and felt it give him combat ability. Note the glow and the fast movement lines as he swings the sword. Parson has just become a very deadly individual, beyond his authority as Chief Warlord.

He has also realized that in the coming battle, he will almost certainly have to kill people--living, feeling, sentient, maybe even child-like people--with his own hands.

Ruthlessness.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

That last panel should be named: badass
    Awesome picture of Parson.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I figured that i should step out of my vial of lurkery to post this.

Here is my theory into Parson's plan based on what we currently know.

When Parson had Sizemore attack the marbits in the tunnels with extreme force it allowed Parson to make Ansom think that Gobwins garrison was where ever that attack came from. Since Ansom wants the tunnel forces to hit the garrison than it is save to say that Webiner is heading to that same spot with the tunnel forces. Now when i look at the pictures of Gobwins knob i can't help to get the feeling that Parson is about to have Sizemore kill 2 birds with one tunnel collapse per say. In other words i have the feeling that the one and only ramp up to Gobwin knob is about to go bye bye. This will wipe out both the tunnel forces and it will kill a nice chunk of the coalition forces as well as cutting off any reinforcements (the siege).

Now that the coalition forces are vastly cut down in force it would place the ball in Parson's court. Where i can't help to wonder what would happen if Parsons forces would bust though the wall from the inside out and what damage the collapsing wall will do to Anson's forces. If that is possible than it will cut the coalition forces power down even more. Making them easy picking for Gobwin Knob's forces and would allow Parson to take out the coalition with the least amount of casualties on his side.

Knowing my luck thou the author has something completely different in mind. This was just exactly what i would try to pull if i was in Parsons shoes.
    Last edited by danidas; 2008-08-24 at 01:33 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    He has also realized that in the coming battle, he will almost certainly have to kill people--living, feeling, sentient, maybe even child-like people--with his own hands.
    And, if he gets hungry, burning all of those calories from fighting, he might have to eat some marbits.
    Ruthlessness.
    Exactly.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default My boldest post yet?

"Help the summon spell fix its goof"
    Parson didn't have Leadership. Er, much leadership. Perfect Warlord ...at 2, with a known ceiling of 9? Hell no. Sword +x to Leadership.
    Combat. Circle strafing the moon != combat skills (cookie for id'ing the quote). Sword +x to Hack-slash-carve-stabbity-chopchop.

And now the crux of the strip. Ruthlessness.

Parson is a genuinely... wait, no he's not. A genuinely good guy. He's not. As a matter of fact, evidence points the other way. Hamstard, Something Positive, Girls gone Feral (wtboop, srysly) say he's possibly as far gone as /b/tard. As the orly said, OMGWTFBBQ. No proof, but Parson could be a /b/tard. There, I said it twice for the ADHD ADD tl;dr I'm not crazy because I take the right pills folks.

But that doesn't mean he's ruthless. 'Booping hardcore'. Losing a man/part/army in Risk or 40k isn't like holding Misty's dead body. Parson lacks ruthlessness. Sword +Ruthlessness. (Wonder if Charlie would've waited if he'd known Parson gets a toy with every meal. And will the toys continue now that Parson's fixed? [insert 'fixed' joke here {insert 'insert' joke here}]).

From here until the effect wears off, this is not the Parson you've known from Erf 14 to 117.

Ruthless.
    Last edited by DCR; 2008-08-24 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Fun

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts... and perhaps it is time for good Parson to bear the mask of the villain.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    Even if Parson's leadership bonus increased, so what? It's not like the Coalition doesn't already have plenty of good leadership bonuses, including Ansom's, as well as the massive advanage of numbers. If Gobwin Knob is even going to hold out, let alone emerge victorious, vastly superior tactics will be required, as well as some serious gambles, IN ADDITION TO Parson's new and improved Leadership.
    I believe the relevant fact is that the Chief Warlord's bonus applies to all of the troops on his side (Klog 4). If Parson's Leadership bonus really has been increased by the sword, that means Gobwin Knob gets an across-the-board buff. In the extreme case where his effective Leadership is now at the maximum (as might be expected in the spec sheet for a Perfect Warlord), every single GK stack would have as much bonus as if Ansom was able to personally command every stack in the Coalition (minus Ansom's personal contribution as a combat unit, of course, plus however far Ansom may be from perfect.) Parson has managed to achieve favorable odds while under extreme handicaps, including not having any Warlord bonuses worth talking about. Those favorable odds are the result of the superior tactics and gambles you're talking about- equalizing or even beating the Coalition's Leadership advantages can only be good for GK.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Boyce View Post
    No, I'm saying to be the Player he has to be able to look at his units like a Player would. When you lose a pawn or bishop in Chess you do not bury it, you do not weep, you do not feel sad(unless you screwed up) you simply accept it and move on.
    But you overlook the fact that this is not chess, and that is not how Parson sees the world. He would have to undergo a radical change in view for him to see the world like that. It goes completely against his personality, which is a major part of the plot.
    Last edited by Mal; 2008-08-24 at 01:25 AM.
    This avatar is Hamstard Lucky, from erfworld, By Rob Balder and drawn by Jamie Noguchi.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by headhoncho View Post
    Respectfully, I totally disagree with your analysis.

A good strategist takes chances. Calculated chances, but he typically acts, rather than reacts. He is typically active, rather than passive.

The gambits were reasonable ones that he formulated as he was still learning the ropes, so to speak. And any number of things could have worked, it was just a number of things working against him in concert that ruined the plan.

Moreover, even though on a tactical level it was painful to lose a group of dwagons, on a strategic level it allowed GK to survive until this turn, since otherwise the destroyed siege would have been enough to take GK last turn.

Also, if Stanley had continued to let things play out, Parson still might have salvaged matters. But Stanley let his attachment to the dwagons override his strategy.

Also, I don't think it was unreasonable for Parson to rely on Wanda's spell. She had been the most competent ally he had met so far, and she had been very confident. Besides, Parson's plan had been to minimize the need to rely on Wanda's spell. If any number of other things had worked in his favor, they wouldn't have even needed to reach the point of testing the spell.
    Or, to put it in even simpler terms, Parson took a gamble and lost. Taking the gamble was still the right decision, because simply letting things play out in a straightforward manner was certain doom for his side.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say their chances of defending the city at least have just gone waaaaaaaaaaay upwards. I just hope the swords effects don't have any major repercussions for Parson though.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

This comic was so awesome that I had to post.

So, here's what I think this sword adds up to (some of this has been said, mind you).

Leadership: A boost to Parson's Leadership score, which benefits all units in Gobwin Knob. This might be small or huge, but will definately be significant.

Combat: Parson now has stats like any Erfworld unit, which may be phenomenal but which will at least be decent. This will also be significant, because it allows him to command from the front line. This will add some solid power to his forces, and will also let him relay orders faster and see how things are going in person rather than receiving reports while hiding out in the tower.

Ruthlessness: Honestly, I have no idea. It might be something as simple as letting him hack apart marbits without throwing up, or something as drastic as a permanent personality shift down the dark road.

Luckamancy: I'm inclined to think Parson now has several one-shot luckamancy spells. Combined with his bracer this is also very significant.

In summary, the whole battle just changed. Maybe not a lot from the "crunch" point of view, but story-wise, it's a whole new Erfworld.

19. - Top - End - #79

Since we are talking about Parson's dwagon gambit. I'd like to remind the posters that Jillan's plan was to go directly to Ansom. She didn't go out looking for the dwagons. How stupid can a hardcore gamer be to place his troops directly on the auto return of the air forces he knows would likely be coming? Is it really plausible that Parson could have made such a mind-bogglingly, stupid move otherwise? Suggestion spell or no, you just don't put yourself into that kind of risk. It was such an easy thing to avoid. Bah, that boop-up still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I don't understand how that could have happened. It doesn't feel realistic to me.

Unless, of course, Jillian wasn't taking the shortest route back to Ansom but there is nothing to suggest that would be the case.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2008-08-24 at 02:59 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

I was thinking maybe Ruthlessness might work as some sort of Rage-style buff for when Parson actually needs it. I mean, yes, I do believe that it'll affect his actions, maybe even his thought processes the rest of the time- it just seems more like an 'invoke when needed' condition to me.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Since we are talking about Parson's dwagon gambit. I'd like to remind the posters that Jillan's plan was to go directly to Ansom. She didn't go out looking for the dwagons. How stupid can a hardcore gamer be to place his troops directly on the auto return of the air forces he knows would likely be coming? Is it really plausible that Parson could have made such a mind-bogglingly, stupid move otherwise? Suggestion spell or no, you just don't put yourself into that kind of risk. It was such an easy thing to avoid. Bah, that boop-up still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I don't understand how that could have happened. It doesn't feel realistic to me.

Unless, of course, Jillian wasn't taking the shortest route back to Ansom but there is nothing to suggest that would be the case.
    The lake was only three hexes according to the map, and Jillian explored at least two of those hexes, so I don't think he had much of a choice in terms of positioning.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0072.html

Plus, the argument she was using in this strip was that she had to go save Ansom now, otherwise she would be out of move
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0071.html

Considering that she had fairly fast units with her, that indicates she did make a half-hearted attempt to find the dragons before deciding to save Prince Ansom, and she didn't just take a straight path to Prince Ansom.

Btw, that spell was one hell of a bargain considering it came with a couple of magic items that would probably sell for twice as much as what was paid for the spell. Although the glasses wouldn't be worth much to anyone other then Parson.

Also, I love the fact that Hamstard is scowling in the cartoon version of his breastplate on the box.
    Last edited by Glome; 2008-08-24 at 03:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

The nerdy kid with his 3D glasses, the gauntlet and holding the sword is priceless. Five turns later Parson truly becomes the perfect warlord. If I understand this correctly this was the last toy.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

23. - Top - End - #83

NecromancerGuy

You know, all this talk of ruthless and main characters dying, gets me thinking back to a scene with Vinny and Ansom after killing the dwagons.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0079.html

"So let us both into the City of Heroes please, Thank You."

Gets me thinking that things may work a bit differently in Erfworld when people die. Sure you can be croaked, uncroaked, dominated, or subsumed into a triumverate spell group. But perhaps Croaked doesn't necessarily mean the end. After the turn passes, if you aren't uncroaked or otherwise ensnared into service, maybe you just get to hang out in the City of Heroes for a while until some new side hires you up again. And the better you did, the more deserable you will be to other prospective employers.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: My boldest post yet?

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    Circle strafing the moon != combat skills (cookie for id'ing the quote)
    Dave from real life comics, commenting on the control system of Tony's spaceship.

Where's my cookie?

While I'm here, i'll just say this one comic and caused more disagreement between forumgoers that i've seen happen for any other one. Usually there's some debate but a generally agreed upon consensus. This time, everybody seems to have thier own theory or is split down the middle. Me? I'm gonna keep sitting on that fence and eating me popcorn. This is getting real good.....

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Boop.

Erfworld, I'm watching now. Don't make me throw a brick through your window.

You hear me? A brick. Made of bricks.
    Last edited by Eco-Mono; 2008-08-24 at 04:02 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

NecromancerGuy

As for my take on current events... We know from the conversation with Charlie that he had at leas 58% odds of keeping the city for another turn at least. And possibly higher if he can take advantage of the situation of Charlie being here. Now with the finished sword landing into Parsons waiting fingers those odds have undoubtedly improved further.

We also know Parson had a conversation with Wanda about keeping the airforces here at home to thwart Charlie and possibly Ansom. And Wanda has a new uncroaked airforce, AND Wanda gets a big bonus for uncroaked units.

Meanwhile, we know Parson has plans for Sizemore and his bonus to golems in the tunnel fighting. And let us not forget that we have lots and lots of goblins who also have tunnel fighting bonuses.

And finally, we know that Ansom is missing a LOT of siege units. With Wanda on the loose, Charlie sitting the fence, and the bulk of Ansoms aerial units off trying to hunt down Stanley, it's entirely possible that Ansom is about to lose all his remaining siege engines forcing him to only one option, fighting in the tunnels against really unpleasant combat advantages. This may be a winnable scenerio for Parson after all.

Of course. It's not all roses. Charlie could really screw up this whole battle in a heartbeat. And I'm sure it would screw things up if Jillian and the Transylvito team manage to locate and take down Stanley.

27. - Top - End - #87

GnomeWizardGuy

biggrin Re: Erf 118, Pg 106

Getting your personality changed is now a part of a complete breakfast.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Zuber View Post
    You know, all this talk of ruthless and main characters dying, gets me thinking back to a scene with Vinny and Ansom after killing the dwagons.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0079.html

"So let us both into the City of Heroes please, Thank You."

Gets me thinking that things may work a bit differently in Erfworld when people die. Sure you can be croaked, uncroaked, dominated, or subsumed into a triumverate spell group. But perhaps Croaked doesn't necessarily mean the end. After the turn passes, if you aren't uncroaked or otherwise ensnared into service, maybe you just get to hang out in the City of Heroes for a while until some new side hires you up again. And the better you did, the more deserable you will be to other prospective employers.
    Well, from what Parson has said, "croak" and all of its forms are just Erfworld terminology for death. And combining that with the fact that Vinny, while talking about the deeds that they had just done, was talking about telling them to the Titans of Arc, Erfworld's creator gods, which makes it seem quite like the Erfworld equivalent of Valhalla.

It's likely part of the religion: something tells me that if it were a physical place in Erfworld proper, or somewhere you can return from, the issue of whether or not the Titans are on Stanley's side would have long ago been answered by the Titans themselves.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2008-08-24 at 04:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Glome View Post
    The lake was only three hexes according to the map, and Jillian explored at least two of those hexes, so I don't think he had much of a choice in terms of positioning.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0072.html

Plus, the argument she was using in this strip was that she had to go save Ansom now, otherwise she would be out of move
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0071.html

Considering that she had fairly fast units with her, that indicates she did make a half-hearted attempt to find the dragons before deciding to save Prince Ansom, and she didn't just take a straight path to Prince Ansom.
    All that shows is that there are only 3 water hexes in that close up view we had. That does not tell us any facts, there easilly could have been more. Besides, considering that Parson knows they can kill him if they find him, why bother being on the water hex at all? One nuke can kill just as well as a hundred.

Also, there is no indication that Jillian spit her force up.
    None.
    Zip.
    She could have done so but all the visual/verbal indicators show that she did nothing of the sort. The reasonable assumption is that she kept all the units in a tight formation and you KNOW IT. You're grasping at straws.

As for Parson's competence, I agree. Parson is a much better commander then this plot point indicates. The only reason why he was in the direct path, in my mind, is because author said so. He's capable of better, he just wasn't allowed the option.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally I see that Ansom's caution is going to bite him in the BOOP, him waiting the last turn instead of attacking is going to cost him bigtime. The donut fight had way so many more POSITIVES than everyone is thinking about.

It actually bought Parson this TURN to do what he is doing. So was the "A" group worth it... You bet ya! I have to agree about this though; I disliked the fact that they got wiped, however in every game (life situation) there comes hard choices and everything does not go your way.

Now that Parson is what he was originally intended to be from the beginning, let see what he would have done from the beginning, there would not be much of a story to tell.

Stanley bugging out gives Parson the full ability to form his own identity within Erf. Oh and for Lucky Charms foreshadowing http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0015.html. Also in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0016.html when Ashna states that Parson runs some incredible games, we are about to see that come to full light.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder