New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

Isaac

Isaac watches the blank stares he gets from the others, raising a hand to his face and rubbing his eyes in annoyance, before he takes a look at the three levers by the door. Noticing one of the levers doesn't match the position of its fellows, he gives a look to the catwalk beyond the door, then at the room's dull warden, before he throws the switch.

[Player initiative taken.]
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

Kinedu (Rho)

Kinedu continues his way up the staircase, eyes fixed on the point of light above.
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    through a thunder of seem
    though the stars in their silence
    say Be

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

Adyra watches to see what happens when the switch is thrown.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion

"The door was already open..." Rhion mumbles hopelessly when Isaac turns the switch. He looks around, anxiously waiting the result.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Group
    There is a metallic whirl followed by a loud clang, the doors resting alongside the vessel's exterior shifting abruptly.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Unlock, 2 Open, 3 Secure.
    We're all new together, so... I don't often directly point this opportunities to use Search and other active Skill checks. They will almost always yield some result though it might not be the 'right' answer. In this case, there's a plank nearby (Search DC 10) that can be used to bridge the gap. There's also other things to be found. Next, should I not bother with low DC Spot/Listen/Search checks in the future? Would excluding lower DC checks promote better flow?
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-09-18 at 08:20 PM.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

Adyra frowns, "Open the door again... we have to follow Rho. Is there any way to bridge the gap to the catwalk?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. - Top - End - #127

Spoiler
    Show
    Bad description on my part. The doors slid into a locked position alongside of the vessel. That is, there were opened and then secured so they could remain open during movement.

The Group
    A quick glance around quickly, hoping to avoid the attention of the lumbering construct in the chamber with them, and notice that secured to the wall by the door are a number of metal planks. There are notches on the ends of each plank which look like they could be secured on some knobs by the doorway.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion

"Come on, let's get to it."
    Rhion tries to get the others into action and starts carrying planks in order to cover the gap between the open door and the catwalk.

9. - Top - End - #129

wink Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

The Group

The gap is swiftly bridged providing a safe and stable crossing.

Kinedu-Rho

The heavy darkness is stifling as you climb up the stairs but at last the light draws near and you step up a stair bringing your eyes just above the surface.

The stairs come up into an large and elegant gazebo from which paths stretch out into a vast and fine garden. The garden spreads in all directions for several kilometers. Fountains bubble merrily, birdsong fills the air...

In the distance, one of the paths leads to a large marble palace and another, after a good walk, to a group of fine buildings partially obscured by the trees and edifices of the garden. The other paths seem to meander aimlessly through the garden.

~Kahlil Gibran

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

Kinedu (Rho)

From this new vantage point, Kinedu stops and looks back down in the ship's direction, to see if anyone was pursuing him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (d20)[2]
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

11. - Top - End - #131

Kinedu-Rho
    He sees no signs of pursuit.

~Kahlil Gibran

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

eek Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

Kinedu (Rho)

Satisfied, Kinedu continues towards the group of buildings, thinking it more likely to lead to an exit than the large palace.
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

13. - Top - End - #133

Kinedu-Rho
    Kinedu-Rho begins walking along the scenic path in the direction of cluster of buildings. A few birds fly by him, chirping merrily.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a bit of a walk so I need to hold off a bit longer to see if the others make a sudden appearance. I should know within the next two-three rounds for them.

~Kahlil Gibran

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

Once the bridge is built, Adyra looks at the others, "Let's go, quickly... we have to find Rho."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

15. - Top - End - #135

Thumbs up Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

The Group
    Adyra cautiously leads the others across the plank and then onto the catwalk.

The catwalk sways as Adyra steps onto it but remains secure. Glancing back, the full measure of the great metal vessel the group has just escaped is seen. It seems to be crafted of bronze, shaped in the form of a great bird of prey, wings pressed to its sides as it dives for a kill. There is a deck on the upper segment of the vessel. Cables are secured to the vessel from the great brown hemisphere above. The catwalk joins others in leading to a central platform which holds a staircase spiraling upwards into a shaft through the brown stone.

Perception
    Spoiler
    Show

Dyn
    Spoiler
    Show
    As he crosses the plank, Dyn thinks for a moment that he hears sounds of movement coming from the deck above. Though, when he listens again all he hears is the whistle of the wind.

Adyra
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adyra sees swirling sand spreading out seemingly forever below. It's a sight unlike anything she's seen before.

Rhion
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stepping onto the catwalk, Rhion thinks that he hears sounds of movement coming from the deck above. Though, when he tries to listen again all he hears are the whirling gears and machinery of the vessel. Glancing up, his keen eyes catch a hint of movement above.

Issac
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crossing over the plank onto the catwalk, Issac hears a shuffle from above and glances up... For an instance he thinks that there is something moving on the deck above, but he can't be certain.

Just to clarify, you don't have a clear view of the deck, it's far above you at about a 90 degree angle from where you're standing on the catwalk. Fortunately, this also provides the group with some cover from anyone or anything that might be on the deck. If you want to get a better view of the deck, you'll have to move further out on the catwalk.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-09-23 at 03:42 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion

Rhion jerks his head swiftly upwards, catching a shadow with his eye. Turning to the group, he whispers.

"Hey, there's someone moving above us."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

Adyra nods back, whispering, "It looks like the only way off the ship is up through the stone into that hemisphere... maybe Rho went up that way."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion

"You might be right. Let's follow then."

Advancing to the staircase and then upwards, Rhion keeps an eye on where he had seen the shadow just in case.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Colossus in the Playground

Dyn

"Someone is up there... I heard it. We should hurry."
    Walking after the others, Dyn tries to get a look on the deck, to see what caused that sound.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #140

Exclamation Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[17]

Rhion and Dyn start across the catwalk, making for the stairs leading upwards into the stone above. As they swiftly move the deck of the ship behind them comes into better view revealing several of the Free! Rhion catches the first glimpse of them, a half a second later Dyn locks eyes with one of his captors.

The largest of the constructs on the deck barks out an order in a strange language, possibly a code. There is a whirl of motion as one of the Free, the smallest that you have seen, leaps from the deck down to the catwalk, landing between the others and Rhion and Dyn. Twin blades slide from its hands as it advances on the two, apparently unaware of Issac and Adyra behind it.

Of the two Free remaining on the deck, one rushes towards the stern of the vessel and then vanishes while the other, the largest, stands above staring down at Rhion and Dyn.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-09-27 at 08:05 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

Adyra rushes up behind the smaller construct as quickly and quietly as she can, trusting to his being focused on the other two party members and gives him a shove to try to put him over the edge of the catwalk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently: (1d20)[16]
    Attack (1d20+1)[4]
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

22. - Top - End - #142

The Group
    Spoiler
    Show
    STR: (1d20+3)[16]
    The bull rush fails, the warforged is now flanked however.

Adyra rushes up and struggles to shove the small Free off the catwalk, however it firmly resists her.

Kinedu-Rho
    After walking down the path for some time, Kinedu comes to a cluster of five elegant buildings formed of white marble. Music drifts from the largest of the buildings.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-09-29 at 08:02 PM.

~Kahlil Gibran

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion

Rhion winces as Adyra fails to push the construct out of the catwalk, but the action gives him just enough courage to try the same. He runs with full speed towards the construct and tackles him in a diagonal direction, hoping to fell the warrior without hurting the woman.

Spoiler
    Show
    +2 from charging.

Strength check - (1d20+2)[6]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

Kinedu (Rho)

Kinedu slows his pace somewhat, looking around discreetly and carefully, attempting to get his bearings and an idea of the place.

[spoiler]Spot: (d20)[20]
    Listen: (d20)[12]

On the buildings, any information on history, design, purpose:

Kno[Arcana]: (d20)[20]
    Kno[Planes]: (d20)[4]
    INT: (d20+2)[15]
    WIS: (d20)[19]

On the music, same:

Kno[Arcana]: (d20+7)[23]
    Kno[Planes]: (d20+7)[26]
    INT: (d20+2)[13]
    WIS: (d20)[11][spoiler]
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    AAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

I screwed up the top two knowledge checks. Please add 7 to both of them
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

[Can Isaac attempt to Aid Another Rhion's bull rush (it's a contested check, so every little bit helps)? For that matter, can Isaac even fit on the platform next to him?]
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

27. - Top - End - #147

Kinedu-Rho

Beyond the reedy flute music, Kinedu can hear several individuals talking idly in a wide array of languages in the largest building. The tink of glass and the pouring of liquid can also be heard. The other buildings are quiet save for an occasional snore coming from the northern-most.

A quick glance at the largest building reveals that the double doors leading inside are open and that a long bloated creature is coiled in the center of a large chamber inside playing a set of panflutes. Kinedu knows the creature is of the outer planes but can't remember what type it is. The doors to the other four buildings are closed.

The music is a simple piece with no magical qualities that Kinedu can deduce. It's inspires neither joy nor sorrow, just fills the air with pleasant but pointless noise.

The buildings are obviously designed with aesthetics in mind, the four smaller buildings appear to provide lodging while the larger is a gathering area of some sort. They were certainly crafted by magic and there is a lingering trace of magic preserving them, but otherwise the buildings have no arcane power in them.

The Group
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[19]

Issac attempts to assist Rhion in his efforts to shove the Free into the abyss but the Druid fails to overcome the construct despite this aid.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-10-03 at 11:39 PM.

~Kahlil Gibran

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

With the three of them surrounding the construct, Adyra drops down, "Me left leg, Rhion right leg, Issac shove! TOGETHER NOW!" She grabs the constructs left leg and lifts with all her might.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check (or attack roll if you feel that's more appropriate): (1d20)[9]
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-10-04 at 11:09 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't they get a turn?
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2008-10-05 at 11:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150

The Group

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack(Rhion): (1d20+3)[17]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[4]

The construct slashes its blade broadly at Rhion, then as the princess struggles to push it over the edge she opens herself to attack and it stabs at her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack of Opportunity(Adyra): (1d20+3)[8]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[6]

~Kahlil Gibran