New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Throughout the planes group B (IC)

You have all been contacted by representatives of king Gareth Dragonsbane. The couriers tell each of you that an old library of the Witch-King Zhengyi has recently been unearthed. You are to explore the ruin and retrieve any spellbooks you find. Anything else is yours to keep.

On the apointed day you all gather at the Bloodstone gate. An old man greets you there. His whispy white hair falls on a simple white tunic. He carries nothing save a walking stick and two rings. "Greetings," he says, "you have each been contacted to serve our king. Although some of you," he pauses and glances at Derrat and Iago, "are of questionable honesty I believe all will be well. Here is a map. You are to bring back any spellbooks you find. If you cannot retrieve them make sure they are destroyed. Here is a map but be warned, Zhengyi was a powerful lich. There is no telling what he may have left behind." ((He hands you a map of the Bloodstone lands with the library marked on it. It looks to be about a day or two's worth of travel. If nobody has any questions you can set out immediately if you like.))
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-08-25 at 10:27 AM.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Griffon

Default Re: Throughout the planes group B (IC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Derrat has no questions, and will either begin walking, or if everyone else has a faster means of travel, he will inform the others that he will be nearby and will sink into the ground and fly in order to keep up.

Once the group is away from the gate and well on their way, if they are walking Derrat will speak up, "I do not know about the rest of you, but I was requested to aid only in gaining access to the Library, and navigation of it. If it should come to combat, I will defend myself, and others when it does not risk myself, but do not expect my aid in such matters."

However, I can be of assistance in some ways. I have here a mineral of great rarity. These small rocks will contain the soul of any that die touching them. This allows one to raise the being from the dead with half the normal cost in diamonds, and with none of the wrenching pain on the soul (OOC: XP loss) normally associated with revival.

If you wear one in contact with you skin at all times, I will make retrieving it my first priority if you should fall. I will then return to that city to have you brought back.
    Last edited by Akimbo; 2008-08-25 at 12:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Excellent recruiter. Short, brief, and to the point. A welcome change from the heartfelt thanks, dinners, and money other people greet me with, Iago dryly comments to Eshe, as he adjusts his rings.

He takes the offered mineral from Derret, passing Detect Magic over it as he does so.

Thanks for the charms, Derret, is it? Sounds like they'll come in handy. The job looks pretty exciting this time around. I haven't busted a dungeon/tomb/whatever since Aradion the Mad locked himself in an underground toilet and proceeded to summon things out of the Far Realm.
    Last edited by Stupendous_Man; 2008-08-25 at 12:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Griffon

He was a good client, Aradion. Paid me handsomely in Diamonds for making that toilet.

[OOC: The "charm" won't register as anything under Detect Magic, since it's properties are entirely non-magical.]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam looks at Derrat with some annoyance. "Wait a moment here, it's my understanding that we are all working together here. You're saying you won't assist any other members of the party in combat unless it poses no threat to yourself? And your answer to this is cheaper ressurection?" He shrugs, "Perhaps I won't bother to disarm every trap I come across if I can get around it without triggering it myself then... and let you fend for yourself."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Griffon

Derrat

I am saying that I will assist in what ways I can, but my specialties lie outside of combat. I am Derrat the Builder, not Derrat the Fighter, Derrat the Mighty, Derrat of the Explosions, Derrat the Great, or Derrat the Invulnerable.

I will contribute in any way I can, but I cannot promise to be as useful in combat as others may be.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam smiles, "That's a little different from how you phrased it before. As long as everyone does their best for the team, I have no problems with what their individual limitations are. Personally, I'm not great at anything, combat included, but I'm a good backup person for most things. Well, I suppose if I do any one thing well, that would be traps."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Akimbo View Post
    He was a good client, Aradion. Paid me handsomely in Diamonds for making that toilet.
    ... So I guess I have you to thank for that little surprise on the "Golden Throne"?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

In responce to Iago, Eshe retorts, "A little more information before we walk into unscouted territory might have been useful. If the prize is worth so much the surly our expenses might have covered a few of those spells." She pauses a moment to think and holds a finger up if anyone looks like their waiting on what she's got to say. "Oh! I can't remember what they're called. The ones that let you look into the future and to far off places."

She looks to Iago for a clue about the rock, knowing nothing of magic's herself.

"Ah so you to have met, in a sense." She comments thinking of the chance that followed Iago and her meeting once more. "Also when it comes to the fight we do indeed all have our strengths. I warn you, my main strength comes in an open feild. Not trapped in a hole like a rat."
    Last edited by Bushwhacked; 2008-08-25 at 04:14 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Shades of Gray- check this out.

'Famous I don't know about. It's hard to be famous and alive. I just want to play music every day and hear someone say, 'Thanks, that was great, here's some money, same time tomorrow, okay?'- Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

At the mention of being trapped, likie the soul of his being he looked up from his depressed sulk.
    "We should really head out, instead of staying here instead of this disamal grey castle. for those of us that dont have wings, I shall summoun a regal procession of horses." (I actually I this spell prepared.)

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacked View Post
    She looks to Iago for a clue about the rock, knowing nothing of magic's herself.
    It's non magical (inert?), so I don't see the harm in wearing them.

Iago will take a good look around the party.

Well, we'll surely make it in time. I can fly, as can Durrat, apparently.

Teleporation would be a quicker way of traveling, though. I don't suppose we could manage that?
    Last edited by Stupendous_Man; 2008-08-25 at 04:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Griffon

I can not fly so much as fly through the ground at greater speed.

However if the horses are capable of magical flight, and are easier to run with, I may make use of them to maintain my own strength. But if they are more mundane I am afraid I will not be so willing.

I also am capable of teleportation, but not with the accuracy that is desired. And I have personally never been to this Library, and so could not reach it anyway.

As for the stones, (OOC: This is for Iago/Eshe if they have said anything about it) They are indeed non-magical, their property of storing souls is inherent nature of the rock itself. If you are not willing that is fine, but they are a tool I have used many times before.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff checks:
    1) It is flight.
    2) My Teleport is accurate.
    3) Despite not having been to the library, I am still easily capable of reaching it with teleportation, probably much faster then the rest of you, unless you have been there.

(1d20+29)[30]
    (1d20+29)[36]
    (1d20+29)[46]

13. - Top - End - #13

I understand if you can't teleport us to the exact location, but we could teleport to the general area...

I suppose mundane travel is good to. We get there in the end, with more time for bonding and planning,
    Iago says, flying upwards and oblivious to the irony in his statement about mundane travel.

Speaking of which, perhaps now is the time for formal introductions, seeing as we all do seem committed to this adventure.

I am Iago, warlock, mercenary, and part time hero. I came today with Eshe, who I am sure is more than capable of handling her own introductions.
    Last edited by Stupendous_Man; 2008-08-25 at 06:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Griffon

I cannot teleport us anywhere even remotely near it, having never been there I could teleport few of us as far as the horizon, but that is not likely to be useful.

Whatever happens, I will keep up. That said, I am Derrat the Builder and I do construction projects on request, especially the exotic. Occasionaly I lend my skills towards investigating Tomes, Dungeons, and Excavated Libraries.
    Last edited by Akimbo; 2008-08-25 at 07:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Zan'den

A tall Githzerai dressed only in a simple grey robe turns towards Derrat

Well, I'm here to repay a favour to King Gareth Dragonsbane, but I must say, I have never fought a lich before, that makes this field trip educational

He looks over the rest of the group and speaks up again

I am Zan'den, a hunter, I can track, take care of some traps and I'm pretty good with my bow. But I must confess, I can't neither fly nor teleport

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam bows, "I am Aliam, and I'm a bit of a generalist. I can do some fighting, some healing, a little magic, and am good in an underground setting and with traps."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Eshe

Smiles for half a second and then says, "Eshe, as Iago said, Dragoon of the Aglarondian Akhenaten. Um... formerly at least. I suppose with this job I have also become a mecenary."

"As with the green-skinned scout there. If you require that I move faster than I can on foot then suggest a stable so I might buy a mount."
    Awesome avatar by Shades of Gray- check this out.

'Famous I don't know about. It's hard to be famous and alive. I just want to play music every day and hear someone say, 'Thanks, that was great, here's some money, same time tomorrow, okay?'- Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

18. - Top - End - #18

I believe the mage has offered to produce mounts, Iago points out.

(Scene shift time!)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

((Alright, I know you guys want to get to some action so unless FF pops up soon I'm going to assume you all set out as you are. Feel free to add inbetween talk if you like.))
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20

... and then the bard shouts "I GOT A FOUR! I GOT A FOUR!" Iago finishes the joke, laughing as he does so.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Having heard that one before Eshe just smiles to herself. She liked the conversation well enough but was privatly enjoying being back on a horse again. The dual rhythm's of the hoves hitting the cobbles beneath her and the steady gait of the animal was soothing.

"Well," she starts up, her voice seeming much more livly than it was an hour or so back when they met, "There was this one time where my squad were sent along the southern foothills of of the Tannath gap, this was about a year before we met with you Iago. We were told, that a thayan wizard vying for power had enslaved a tribe of gnolls and was moving them west into our territory. Well Ziyad, um, he was a storm-preist assigned to the squad, one of these big proud preists, walk around with their heads in the clouds and all that. He was particlarly proud of his booming voice, and you could see why, when he called a storm, you heard him. I mean half the time he didn't need the thunder as you couldn't hear it over his voice!" She pauses a moment to gather the rest of the story.
    Last edited by Bushwhacked; 2008-08-27 at 05:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam listens to the story with interest as he rides his mount with a fair degree of competence.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-08-27 at 10:34 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We start coming up on the abadoned goat farm in which they are meant to be residing and one of us spot that there aren't infact any gnolls around, instead we see a small tibe of kobolds had made it their home. Well we were unsure how to go on, the kobolds might have been working with the gnolls, unlikly as it sounds," she waves that chain of thought away, "or somthing along those lines. One way or the other we decided not to charge in headfirst.

"So the kobolds spot us, Gahiji's got his bow pulled, Runihura's got a wand behind his back and I'm standing alongside Ife and her griffon ready to jump at them. Ziyad steps forwards to talk to them, his chest is puffed out, he grasps at his holy symbol and you can see that he's about to issue one of his mightiest speaches with many referances to his lord and whatever else he fancied at that time.

"But! Nothing comes out, not a word, we all saw his mouth and arms going off as if everything was normal. The loudest person I've known was just standing there waving his arms at the kobolds for a good two minutes."
    She mimics his actions, one arm held patroticly to her chest the other thrust out in front pointing and swinging as she talks, "It turns out that he had sprung one of their silence traps when he stepped forwards and failed to notice. But everyone watching just did the same, us and the kobolds, they just stared that this man making his soundless speach."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Zan'den

Zan listened to Eshes story with great interest

Hahaha, this was a joke I can understand, not like the other one...

On to little more serious subject. Does anyone has any information about Zhengyi's library?

What we might be up against and such things

25. - Top - End - #25

Well, Iago replies, somewhat miffed, 我觉得郑伊的图书馆会有很多的怪兽守着。

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Griffon

Derrat

I am afraid that little information has been provided, but few are the beings that can tell you more about a place then the stones that lie there, so I have not much concern about such a deficiency.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

As you near your destination you see an ornate doorway, slighly ajar, opening into a hillock. As you enter, you are on a stone stairway that descends to just where the light fails. You see the edge of a red carpet brushing against the bottom step. A foul, musty odor assails you, a combination of old books and a faint hint of what could be rotting corpse, you can't exactly tell.

My meager homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28

Well, it seems that we have finally arrived, after our long and adulterous journey.

Iago lowers himself to ground level and studies the tomb, noting the faint oders from within.

Now, I would say that we have the great Derrat figure out how to get in.
    Last edited by Stupendous_Man; 2008-08-27 at 07:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Aliam

Aliam dismounts and ties his mount to a nearby bush. "I should examine the entrance for traps." He proceeds toward the doorway cautiously.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-08-27 at 07:56 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

30. - Top - End - #30

Good luck, hehe. Iago chuckles, as he prepares a handful of blood red fire in case Aliam is unfortuante to be attacked by anything while probing.