New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota anyone?

1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dota anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Cynan Machae View Post
    I don't know if I will be able to be there early, but I'll be back at home around 10 PM EST (8 PM MST?). I hope some people will still be there.

Where will people meet? SC and WC3 people use the GitP channel to meet. I think it could probably be good for thursday GitP DotA group.
    To avoid confusion with the Wc3 group, we will use channel "Hunt" to meet in.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

I might be interesting in playing a few rounds, so i'll probably will be there. Probably.
    Last edited by Atomsized; 2008-09-04 at 05:26 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kizara View Post
    Axe doesn't fill the same role on a team that undying would, but I agree he's more generally team-useful.

And yes, Axe needs a dagger. As for the dual-van question: no, that's stupid.
    Get one and then build something like a BKB, heart, AC or other such carry str hero items.

I mean, if you want to buy the second vit booster early to turn it into a heart later, I could see that being extremely viable.

As for meepo being a 'swarmer', I would claim he is. It is difficult to deal with him unless you have a powerful burst effect or good aoe (IE lina rapes him) because he overwhelms you with his clones. Also, I forgot brood in my list there, probably one of the best swarmers in the game.

EDIT: Tomarrow (thursday) I am going to be hosting games for the GitP DotA group using my LC, starting from about 4pm MST to until I get sick of it (possibly very late). All are welcome that have any idea how to play. I dont expect most people to be anywhere near as good as me, but that's fine. I will be hosting any non-em game mode people like, probably mostly -RDSP or -APSP.
    Ah, but you missed my point about axe that I was raising in that he's good against swarmers, specifically undying, and is excellent against an early game pushing brood(Hate brood ult, Brood ult is stupid with it's low cool down). I wasn't saying he fills the same role as undying. A hood isn't a bad idea if you build it early on him and the enemy team is loaded with spell damage.

I can also act as a host, sans LC.
    Last edited by Poison_Fish; 2008-09-04 at 02:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Heh. I downloaded the latest map yesterday on my own, without seeing this thread. The last time I played, it was on some iteration of version 3 for Warcraft III, no expansion.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

5. - Top - End - #95
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Heh. I downloaded the latest map yesterday on my own, without seeing this thread. The last time I played, it was on some iteration of version 3 for Warcraft III, no expansion.
    It's gone through a great many changes since then, as you can probably guess from the current version number of 6.54b. In particular, there are now 91 different heroes to choose from, a fair number of them introduced since version 6.0, and there's been a distinct tendency towards more creative and unusual abilities with the more recent heroes - in large part because all the basic stuff has been done to death already.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, I saw. It's also apparently 20 levels instead of 10 now, hero-wise, that is.

Found my old standby, the Dragon Knight, much improved over version 3.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

25, not 20

And yea, Dragon Knight is a pretty good pick the days.
    Cynan

8. - Top - End - #98
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

25, actually. All but one hero follow a simple pattern: 3 normal abilities with 4 levels each, which require a minimum hero level of 1/3/5/7 to learn; 1 ultimate ability with 3 levels, which require minimum hero level 6/11/16 to learn; 10 levels of attribute bonus, each level giving +2 to all attributes and requiring 2 more hero levels than the one before. At level 25 you will have all of these maxed out.

The single exception is the Invoker. He gets a little complicated, with three 7-level reagent abilities and a 4-level "ultimate" that gives you a spell depending on which reagents you currently have active. There are 8 different spells that Invoke can grant, and you can eventually have any 2 of them available at a time. He is Not Recommended for new players.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2008-09-04 at 03:27 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #99

So, COME ON GUYS!!!

10. - Top - End - #100

I'm sad cause i really can't play after 5... and since i had to walk home today.. i missed dota time -_-...

--------
    Every weekday after 2:10 est I get on. I usually chill in channel Thor on USA east. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join, my buddy sometimes gets on and hosts...but if he's not on, I have no host capability. You're welcome to add EndlessWrath to buddylist. and I'm open to all games... except ap. I won't play any all pick mode...
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

11. - Top - End - #101

Thought I could be here earlier, but arrived just now, so I guess I'm a bite late
    Cynan

12. - Top - End - #102

I went to channel Hunt at 5:00ish Pacific, but there was no one there

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Remember to save the replay and host it here.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Hi!

Perhaps some of you know me from my somewhat irregular appearances in the GitP channel on BNet East. I used to attend SC sessions from time to time on Saturday nights, but not so anymore. I've lost a bit of interest in that game (although I still love it, and am eagerly waiting for SC2 too), and regained interest in DotA, which I've been playing more often than ever lately. I am a friend of CynanMachae, he is the one that brought me here. We play together a lot (he is much better than me now, even though I am the one who introduced him to DotA a couple of years ago) mostly in pubs (he doesn't have enough TDA games to vouch me and I suck big time at WC3 Melee). To answer a question asked in a previous page of this thread, yes leavers are a big problem in pubs, a huge problem rather. It is a shame that there are so many leavers, each contributing to ruin such a great game. That is why I am looking forward to join the "GitP IH DotA" group on Thursday nights to enjoy some leaverless DotA.

I just went through the whole thread, really interesting discussions/debates that I intend to participate in from now on :P

I am mathieumg on Azeroth/GArena, although I haven't logged on the latter in a while now.

Sorry if I seem to "pop out of nowhere", I guess we'll learn to know each others with time (I already know a couple of members from the BNet channel but most seem to have different usernames over here, which kind of makes it more confusing :P)

Lastly, I too dislike -em games :p
    Last edited by mathieumg; 2008-09-05 at 12:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Thrusday didn't work for a number of reasons:

1) My stupid overly-active and demanding DotA friends were too impatient to wait around for a bit after only 1 person and his non-forumer friend (posionfish) showed up. Next time I won't go on west for a few games before the met-up time... sorry.

2) Not many people showed up in general. Posionfish was only there because he happens to use the same vent server as I do. (LOL!)

3) I am not able to communicate with bnet while LC-hosting, because of how LC works. Thus I require someone else to be the organizer with me, someone who will come around and stick around and who has an easily-whispered name.

I am going to try again next Thrusday, hopefully someone will help me with #3, more people will show up to satisfy #2 and I won't do #1 again.

16. - Top - End - #106

How would one own early with tiny? I played him and understood item build. (messed up on one item) but my early game was rubbish. which therefore led me to a mid -> late game rubbishness.
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    How would one own early with tiny? I played him and understood item build. (messed up on one item) but my early game was rubbish. which therefore led me to a mid -> late game rubbishness.
    Work with a friend that can output the damage? Lina/Tiny is pretty good, as are a lot of other combo's. Tiny is pretty much a team player.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Poison_Fish View Post
    Work with a friend that can output the damage? Lina/Tiny is pretty good, as are a lot of other combo's. Tiny is pretty much a team player.
    Tiny is one of the most powerful early gamers in the game, and like top 10 mid gamers.

I suggest if you are newbish with tiny that you get an ally with a targeted disable to initiate for you. CM (Crystal Maiden)/Tiny is a classic and still works beautifully. Then, you use your skills to nuke them 4 times in succession and combine with some melee attacks. If done correctly, this can kill almost anything early. Remember that it's always better to toss enemies if practical as it does considerable additional damage.

Mid-game, get your blink and jump people. Blink in right on top of them, cast avalanche/toss right in their face and hit them a couple times. This does like 750 damage or so and thus can kill most Int heros not at full hp. Also, you can go around with your ally (CM, VS, Tide, whatever) to intiate for you to help matters out and gaurentee kills.

BUILD:

Starting: You need a combination of stat boosters, tangoes and clarities, and there are alot of different combinations that work for this.

1) x2 tango (meaning 2 purchases of tangoes, for 4 total), x2 clarity, x3 branch, x1 gauntlet. This rounded build is good for most melee heros.

2) x2 tango, 2x circlet, x1 clarity. This build has less power then build 1, but you have the 2 circlets for easy upgrading later instead of 'wasted' branches.

3) x3 tango, x2 mantle of int, x1 clarity. A more offensive build focusing on ability to nuke.

Skill build:

Stun/Toss/Toss/Stun/Toss/Grow/Toss/Stun/Stun. There really is no other skill build that is good for tiny. Get stats after this unless they have a particularly bothersome melee hero that's owning you (a clouding SA for instance).

Items: Mid-to-late.

I've seen a few things on tiny, but your first priorities are:

1) Ethier boots and 2-3 Nulls or Int Treads and 2-3 bracers. Personally, I often do the former as its faster to get and lets you roam sooner. Alternately, you could go arcane ring + str treads; that's a very viable build as well.

2) Blink daggah.

3) If you didn't get a A-Ring, you might be going for a hex. It's not the most synergetic item, but it's always team-useful and you'll love the mana it provides. Furthermore, it can set-up your combo if you can't blink in.

4) AC is a staple, and if you can farm it go for it! Otherwise, help your team out with wards and try to get cheaper survivalbility items.

5) BKB is often needed in competitive games to not get curb-stomped by all their nukes/AoE, but if you are this newb you likely won't have much use for it in many pubs. Still, wroth considering.

6) MoM or Satanic is fun/good if you are owning and want to take on more of a carry role. Not generally recommended, as you will be lucky to finish your AC by the time the game is over.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Not a fan of the bottle/roaming/ganking tiny I see?

I tend to avoid the A-ring and get a bottle right after my boots. I usually have all the mana I need if I grab the runes as they pop up. Only times I may avoid the bottle if I end up with 2 other bottle carriers on the team. At that point I often roam the map and go help gank others/farm up a blink dagger as quick as possible. This is often around levels 5-7 for me(Not the blink, but I start roaming around then).

Granted, bottles aren't what they used to be these days, and aren't at all worth it unless you are grabbing runes. But let me say, invis tiny is scary, as is getting messed up and suddenly coming back out at full health thanks to a regen.

Shiva's guard is another option, as tiny lacks armor, though the AC ultimately will be more helpful, shiva's does provide good regen and another AoE nuke/slow.
    Last edited by Poison_Fish; 2008-09-09 at 03:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Poison_Fish View Post
    Not a fan of the bottle/roaming/ganking tiny I see?

I tend to avoid the A-ring and get a bottle right after my boots. I usually have all the mana I need if I grab the runes as they pop up. Only times I may avoid the bottle if I end up with 2 other bottle carriers on the team. At that point I often roam the map and go help gank others/farm up a blink dagger as quick as possible. This is often around levels 5-7 for me(Not the blink, but I start roaming around then).

Granted, bottles aren't what they used to be these days, and aren't at all worth it unless you are grabbing runes. But let me say, invis tiny is scary, as is getting messed up and suddenly coming back out at full health thanks to a regen.

Shiva's guard is another option, as tiny lacks armor, though the AC ultimately will be more helpful, shiva's does provide good regen and another AoE nuke/slow.
    All valid points. I simply wrote that at 3am last night and forgot about bottle. Tiny is one of the best heros to get bottle with, up there with SF and NA.

Fish, would you be willing to help me coordinate next Thursday's attempt at a DotA get-together? As I said before, I am willing to host and manage the affair, but I need someone else that can be around and is whisperable since I am not when I'm LC hosting.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-09-09 at 03:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

I can try, I may not be around for the earlier part of the day as I'm working then. I can also host during that time, but it won't be as smooth as LC.

22. - Top - End - #112

For anyone interested, today (Thursday) is when I'm trying to do this again.

Please come to channel "Hunt" on East at around 4PM MST. I would start it now but I have a doctor's appointment.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kizara View Post
    For anyone interested, today (Thursday) is when I'm trying to do this again.

Please come to channel "Hunt" on East at around 4PM MST. I would start it now but I have a doctor's appointment.
    I won't be there around 4 MST, as I'll be at an appointment as well. Later in the day I will be around.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

I cannot be there tonight, unfortunately.
    Last edited by mathieumg; 2008-09-11 at 03:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

I'm in channel right now (its 3:30, so I'm early). Anyone who would like to join me is welcome.

26. - Top - End - #116

Depending on how long you guys will be playing, I might join you guys later (8 MST maybe).
    Cynan

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Cynan Machae View Post
    Depending on how long you guys will be playing, I might join you guys later (8 MST maybe).
    I often play DotA late into the night when I get into a rythm but if the showing is very poor initially I'm not going to just idle in the channel for hours.

EDIT: It's now 4pm, noone is here.

I will wait a bit longer.

I really would suggest you come. I am a very skilled player and if nothing else at all you could learn alot from just 1v1ing me. I also reiterate that I have a stable LC host that I will be using to host all the games.

EDIT 2: Ok got 2 now, still kinda need a bunch more.

EDIT 3: I'm going to 1v1 douglas_m, who is the only one here right now. If you want to get ahold of me, /w him (bnet name is "douglas_m"). Hope to see some more of you.

Edit 4: Poisonfish showed up, so I am hosting a pub now. If you want to join us /w poisonfish.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-09-11 at 06:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been playing this a lot over the past two days (home sick from school )) and have gotten somewhat better at it.

In addition to Rylai, who is pretty much my go-to hero, I tried out Sand King and really, really liked him. Burrowstrike is great, and it would have worked even better if Pudge actually hooked after I did it...four times in a row...oh well. ^^ I read online that Kelen's Dagger (for blink) is useful to Blink into heroes after you have started Epicenter; I need to try this, as I had problems getting Epicenter to hit.

Anyways, I plan on getting as much play as possible with these two, as they're my favorite heroes now I think. I just wish Rylai's attack was faster, last hits are hard enough for me without a projectile that takes three seconds to hit. :\

I've also gained a pathological fear of Pudge after watching all my spells bounce and glance off a 5000 (!!!) HP Pudge.
    Plus, the hook just scares me. Pudge is damn intimidating.

Bnet username is LeeeeroyJenkins (four "e"'s,) if you ever run into me.
    I have to say, I play -em because that's the only one that's usually ap and noob game, but when I actually got a chance to play just -ap, I liked it. I think towers die too fast in -em, they go down real quick. I also got idiots who claimed to be "noobs" then admitting after the game started that they just came in to wreck people who are trying to learn. It was pretty annoying, even though they were my teammates, because it's happened to me a couple times now.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2008-09-12 at 09:05 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I've been playing this a lot over the past two days (home sick from school )) and have gotten somewhat better at it.

In addition to Rylai, who is pretty much my go-to hero, I tried out Sand King and really, really liked him. Burrowstrike is great, and it would have worked even better if Pudge actually hooked after I did it...four times in a row...oh well. ^^ I read online that Kelen's Dagger (for blink) is useful to Blink into heroes after you have started Epicenter; I need to try this, as I had problems getting Epicenter to hit.

Anyways, I plan on getting as much play as possible with these two, as they're my favorite heroes now I think. I just wish Rylai's attack was faster, last hits are hard enough for me without a projectile that takes three seconds to hit. :\

I've also gained a pathological fear of Pudge after watching all my spells bounce and glance off a 5000 (!!!) HP Pudge.
    Plus, the hook just scares me. Pudge is damn intimidating.

Lasthitting with CM is a challange, but is doable with sufficient practice I can assure you. Although even if you are extremely good at it it's still a little bit frustrating getting outdone by heros with twice your animiation speed and base damage. One of the biggest challanges with CM is that unlike many support heros, she has no reliable way to farm.

For practice though, start up the game in single player, buy your normal starting items, and go lane. Do this to about level 11, and then restart and try again. Do this until you get most creeps. Should give you a basic skill for using her animation.

For SandK, yes you need blink. Buy it ASAP. To use, start epi, click the dagger and shift-click where you are blinking to. Thus, when your channeling is done you immediately blink over.

Finally, BKB is a good item for both heros. And is a solid item for most games, regardless of your hero.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mid-game, get your blink and jump people. Blink in right on top of them, cast avalanche/toss right in their face and hit them a couple times. This does like 750 damage or so and thus can kill most Int heros not at full hp. Also, you can go around with your ally (CM, VS, Tide, whatever) to intiate for you to help matters out and gaurentee kills.
    You must be playing a castrated version of Tiny.

Avalanche deals it's full damage, twice, if you toss your target on itself during it. Tiny instagibs 900 HP heroes NP at level 9.