New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota anyone?

1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dota anyone?

Not to mention with Sil, getting a sheep stick to provide some late game disable and kingly DPS.

I tend to build a mek with him as well, as I don't really use up all his mana quickly. Unless there is a support hero who will get the mek as well.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I also want to try someone who relies more on DPS and thus can survive in the late game; Rylai doesn't do well at all in the later levels.

I'll probably try Drow, and Silencer looks fun too; be great having global wars with Zeus.
    I find that most spell casters (without farming extremely well) will not be as strong late game as they were early game. Especially nukers. ES, Krobe, and invoker are the only I can think that would be an exception.

Edit: btw. Rylai is useful later game.. and if you get decent items...she's monsterous. She has good slows and a great disable...She's amazing support late game...and with AOE ult... uber good
    -------
    Picked up dota today for the first time in a month. Never got to try orbwalking unfortunately... as i was forced to play Abaddon and Doom (i only ar or sd anymore T_T ). I got a Tank build for abaddon..which was apparently weird... but i didn't want to go healer build.

my build was:
    1)2x bracer
    2)Treads (strength)
    3)Battlefury
    4)Vlads
    5)Heart.

is that weird or bad? My teamate was telling me to get SnY the entire time.. but i dun listen to pubbies... twas first time abaddon and went like... 8/3/9
    Last edited by EndlessWrath; 2008-09-17 at 06:08 PM.
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    I find that most spell casters (without farming extremely well) will not be as strong late game as they were early game. Especially nukers. ES, Krobe, and invoker are the only I can think that would be an exception.

Edit: btw. Rylai is useful later game.. and if you get decent items...she's monsterous. She has good slows and a great disable...She's amazing support late game...and with AOE ult... uber good
    Stop playing EM.

And she isn't 'amazing' late, even as support (compare to lesh, who is better but still only 'strong'). Her ult is not that relivant to hard carries late game and it is easier and easier to stop (enemies will have hexes, bkbs, orchids, etc, in addition to normal disables).

It can be amusing to run a battle build on her, and if you magically have like 10x more items then everyone else, it can work too. Grab deso, hex, AC, buriza and you are quite potent 1v1 vs people too stupid to buy a bkb.

As for other nukers late, ES remains a factor because his ult just does so much and creep waves get very large late game with buildup.
    DP is a secondary carry with her ult and enough hp items (and probably a hex).
    With his dps and damage boosting skills, Invoker is a soft carry (comparable to SF I would say).

Picked up dota today for the first time in a month. Never got to try orbwalking unfortunately... as i was forced to play Abaddon and Doom (i only ar or sd anymore T_T ). I got a Tank build for abaddon..which was apparently weird... but i didn't want to go healer build.

my build was:
    1)2x bracer
    2)Treads (strength)
    3)Battlefury
    4)Vlads
    5)Heart.

is that weird or bad? My teamate was telling me to get SnY the entire time.. but i dun listen to pubbies... twas first time abaddon and went like... 8/3/9
    1) Don't buy battlefury on non-dps heros. It's bad, and its certinally not a 'tank build".

2) Why would you buy vlads? Did you have other melee heros you were supporting? If you wanted lifesteal for yourself, then helm of dom to satanic would've been a better choice (his sword attack isn't an orb), although you are still missing the point of your hero.

3) Heart is fine.

A better build would've been:
    Pers
    str treads
    2 bracers
    AC or shivas
    heart

You can make the pers into a linkens if you need more mana and/or they have targeteds that are giving you a hard time.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kizara View Post
    Stop playing EM.

And she isn't 'amazing' late, even as support (compare to lesh, who is better but still only 'strong'). Her ult is not that relivant to hard carries late game and it is easier and easier to stop (enemies will have hexes, bkbs, orchids, etc, in addition to normal disables).

It can be amusing to run a battle build on her, and if you magically have like 10x more items then everyone else, it can work too. Grab deso, hex, AC, buriza and you are quite potent 1v1 vs people too stupid to buy a bkb.
    Heh, I remember one game where we were winning by a ridiculously huge margin and one of my teammates decided to sell his items and switch to a basher build with Rylai just for the heck of it. I don't think he really got the chance to try it out before the game ended, though.

As for other nukers late, ES remains a factor because his ult just does so much and creep waves get very large late game with buildup.
    DP is a secondary carry with her ult and enough hp items (and probably a hex).
    With his dps and damage boosting skills, Invoker is a soft carry (comparable to SF I would say).
    Late game very few nuke-based heroes are worth much. Disables are great, but damage nukes generally stop scaling way too early to be good end game material. Necrolyte, Obsidian Destroyer, and well-farmed Lion or Lina are the only exceptions I can think of, and even they are helpless against bkb.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post

8/3/9
    Probably in normal mode, but I am forced to play -em and she sucks, as do most early-game heroes; the carries level way too fast and godly pwn everyone. >_<

I've found that Rylai simply cannot defend herself late-game, however, because her nukes just don't do enough damage. About all I can do is slow/freeze and run, unless I have BKB in which case I may try for the ult.

The problem is just that a) LHing/denying is tough enough without a crap excuse for an attack animation and b) her DPS is bad to begin with, and her nukes don't scale at all.

She's monstrous early game, yeah, but I am forced to play -em, late-game heroes level faster, and I die.

6. - Top - End - #156

How are you 'forced' to play -em?

I'm a big CM player also, and one of the problem with her is really that she relies so much on getting the kill for ganks in order to get her necessary items (bkb+dagger). Because really, she can't farm at all, and time wasted farming anyway is a big waste for her huge ganking potential.

Still, I really enjoy playing as CM and I think i do quite well with her.
    Last edited by Cynan Machae; 2008-09-17 at 09:17 PM.
    Cynan

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Cynan Machae View Post

I'm a big CM player also, and one of the problem with her is really that she relies so much on getting the kill for ganks in order to get her necessary items (bkb+dagger). Because really, she can't farm at all, and time wasted farming anyway is a big waste for her huge ganking potential.

Still, I really enjoy playing as CM and I think i do quite well with her.
    Some people are just not talented enough in the game to continue and do well in non -em games. Otherwise some people have friends who will only play em games. This tends to be my case... with the exclusion of one friend.
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Heh, I remember one game where we were winning by a ridiculously huge margin and one of my teammates decided to sell his items and switch to a basher build with Rylai just for the heck of it. I don't think he really got the chance to try it out before the game ended, though.

Late game very few nuke-based heroes are worth much. Disables are great, but damage nukes generally stop scaling way too early to be good end game material. Necrolyte, Obsidian Destroyer, and well-farmed Lion or Lina are the only exceptions I can think of, and even they are helpless against bkb.
    Don't forget NA. I can still take out most agility carries if I've got the regular build of NA going with a dagon.

Otherwise, in team fights I target their disables first or hold down the carry.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Poison_Fish View Post
    Don't forget NA. I can still take out most agility carries if I've got the regular build of NA going with a dagon.

Otherwise, in team fights I target their disables first or hold down the carry.
    NA tends to be a very small factor late. If you owned all game and kept your dagon up to still be threatening, you do something. Otherwise you just run into sentries and die to nukes most of the time. Maybe if you got necrobook and they have a skele you can do something cool.

CM was my CAL hero, back in the days of CAL being 'the' league. I would play CM or lich, occasionally viper, veno, tide or silencer.

I really hated playing silencer. Sure, I'd win my lane, but then I spent the rest of the game getting owned because I would try to gank (and you CAN'T gank with sil for sheit).

Anyways, CM is a support hero with a fairly good ability to take care of herself if you don't get jumped by doom/na and you can use your nukes well.

However, I don't know what advice to give people that would play EM and think it is DotA. I dunno, pick troll and rush SnY? DK maybe?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't discount NA's stuns/mana burns late game. Granted, if your thinking in the realm of mana burning, he tends to be a very good counter pick to SK and a few other heroes.

Even against a decent team with wards, there are times you'll just come in stun first then vendetta for extra damage. Sure, he's not like some heroes, but NA remains the highest burst damage hero in the game. If your not going dagon, sheep stick still works well, as does necro book.

Besides, late game I'd be less worried about wards and more about necro-book. Even then, late game your not ganking, your getting into team fights. NA still provides great uses in team fights, especially taking out enemy disables with his burst damage, or going for disabling their carry if you went the sheep stick route.

If the enemy gets a BKB, you do the same thing you do with sven (besides purge). Just walk away.
    Last edited by Poison_Fish; 2008-09-18 at 05:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

I will probably have time for one game or two for the meeting tonight, when/what server is it at again?

Thanks!

Oh, I can also help the LC host with whispers or host if necessary.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Try finding a not-em game on Bnet. It's extremely difficult. :\

I'm working on getting my hosting problems solved, but until then it's looking like -em, -em and more -em on the menu.

13. - Top - End - #163

I'm working on getting my hosting problems solved, but until then it's looking like -em, -em and more -em on the menu.
    They are SLIGHTLY less common, but it is not hard to find a non-em RD, AP or SD pub if you are willing to look for 5 minutes. It may not be there right away, but there are usually some poking around if you wait a moment.

As for the group, in 35 minutes it will be 4pm MST and I will be going on to channel Hunt on USEast to see if anyone is interested in playing with me. Hope to see some peeps there.

14. - Top - End - #164

I play only non -em, and most of the games I play are B.net pubs, with the occasional TDA or IH. As Kizara said, they area bit less frequent but there are some, yes.

I really hope to be able to join you guys tonight (but later again), but it really looks like I won't be able to play on Thursdays because I always come back too late.
    Cynan

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

I won't be able to join at all for today.

16. - Top - End - #166

I play only non -em, and most of the games I play are B.net pubs, with the occasional TDA or IH. As Kizara said, they area bit less frequent but there are some, yes.

I really hope to be able to join you guys tonight (but later again), but it really looks like I won't be able to play on Thursdays because I always come back too late.
    Just come on right now?

EDIT: I am obsing a game, if you show up just /w me, I'm still on Bnet.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-09-18 at 04:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

PirateGuy

They are SLIGHTLY less common, but it is not hard to find a non-em RD, AP or SD pub if you are willing to look for 5 minutes. It may not be there right away, but there are usually some poking around if you wait a moment.

As for the group, in 35 minutes it will be 4pm MST and I will be going on to channel Hunt on USEast to see if anyone is interested in playing with me.
    I'll be there.

Is your Bnet nickname the same as your gitp nickname?

Edit: Doesn't seem so. I'm idling hunt right now.
    Last edited by mathieumg; 2008-09-18 at 05:05 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

His Bnet name is Star_Moon.

I'll be on soon.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #169

PirateGuy

It was really nice, thank you for coming :)

Kizara has some serious skills, but its nice, he shared some interesting tips with me ^^ Looking forward to more!
    Last edited by mathieumg; 2008-09-18 at 07:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by mathieumg View Post
    It was really nice, thank you for coming :)

Kizara has some serious skills, but its nice, he shared some interesting tips with me ^^ Looking forward to more!
    Yea no problem.

You are decent man, you have respectable lasthitting skills and could probably beat even average people in lane.

Fun games, hope like more then 2 people decide to show up for next week so we can actually have an IH.

21. - Top - End - #171

Just come on right now?

EDIT: I am obsing a game, if you show up just /w me, I'm still on Bnet.
    I was at work when I wrote this, so I couldnt show up
    Cynan

22. - Top - End - #172

I do try to show up, but timezones are really screwing me over. Evening MST is morning for me, and I'm never a morning person - on weekdays I have school, and on weekends I don't wake up till noon.

Not to mention the latency issues...

Well, if any of you see me online, just give me a whisper. It's Ice_Kream_Koan@USEast, or Windwaker@USWest.

On another note, a group of mine friends are considering taking part in Pride 12, just for the lols. We don't really expect to make it past qualifiers, but any kind of advice for us?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just a note, i think it might be useful to just arrange a day where most or everybody is available to play, and other games aside from that day could just be organized in the thread whenever someone feels like it. If there was a day + time that a DotA game would be hosted then i might make space for a game rather than just having a bouncy schedule.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Artemician View Post
    I do try to show up, but timezones are really screwing me over. Evening MST is morning for me, and I'm never a morning person - on weekdays I have school, and on weekends I don't wake up till noon.

Not to mention the latency issues...

Well, if any of you see me online, just give me a whisper. It's Ice_Kream_Koan@USEast, or Windwaker@USWest.

On another note, a group of mine friends are considering taking part in Pride 12, just for the lols. We don't really expect to make it past qualifiers, but any kind of advice for us?
    Pride is open to random groups?

My advice is play alot of scrims with your team. Don't practice by just playing DXD games or whatnot, as that doesn't really build teamwork (just lasthitting and map awareness skills mostly).

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by atomsized View Post
    Just a note, i think it might be useful to just arrange a day where most or everybody is available to play, and other games aside from that day could just be organized in the thread whenever someone feels like it. If there was a day + time that a DotA game would be hosted then i might make space for a game rather than just having a bouncy schedule.
    That is exactly what I attempt(ed) to do with the Thursday DotA group.

So far, its not a complete failure but its hardly roaring with people.

26. - Top - End - #176

That is exactly what I attempt(ed) to do with the Thursday DotA group.

So far, its not a complete failure but its hardly roaring with people.
    I would attempt to show up, had I not been grounded T_T .

Unfortunately..this causes that i can only play 2-5ish (EST) on weekdays...which recently has been filled with rehearsals...

if anyone does get on during those times and i happen to be on.. /w me ... I'll totally join in on a game.
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

27. - Top - End - #177

So, I went through the topic and made a list of everyone and their bnet username + (forum username) with the location they play. I hope I didnt forget anyone. I'll add any people who will give their username after this post also. It would be a good idea for EndlessWrath to update the first post with this list. Let's hope it will now be easier to find people to play with.

Spoiler
    Show
    USEast (Azeroth)
    atomsized (atomsized)
    CynanMachae (CynanMachae)
    douglas_m (douglas)
    EndlessWrath (EndlessWrath)
    Hyunkel (Hyunkel)
    Ice_Kream_Koan (Artemician)
    mathieumg (mathieumg)
    poisonfish (Poison_Fish)
    Star_Moon (Kizara)

USWest (Lordaeron)
    flib (Poison_Fish)
    shadowxheart90 (shadowxknight)
    Star_Moon (Kizara)
    Windwaker (Artemician)

Europe (Northrend)
    ??? (Adumbration)

Unknown Realm
    LeeeeroyJenkins (LordVader)

GArena
    Artemician (Artemician)
    mathieumg (mathieumg)
    Last edited by Cynan Machae; 2008-09-21 at 06:49 PM.
    Cynan

28. - Top - End - #178

So, I went through the topic and made a list of everyone and their bnet username + (forum username) with the location they play. I hope I didnt forget anyone. I'll add any people who will give their username after this post also. It would be a good idea for EndlessWrath to update the first post with this list. Let's hope it will now be easier to find people to play with.

Spoiler
    Show
    USEast (Azeroth)
    atomsized (atomsized)
    douglas_m (douglas)
    Hyunkel (Hyunkel)
    mathieumg (mathieumg)
    poisonfish (Poison_Fish)
    Star_Moon (Kizara)

USWest (Lordaeron)
    flib (Poison_Fish)
    Star_Moon (Kizara)
    Windwaker (Artemician)

Europe (Northrend)
    ??? (Adumbration)

Unknown Realm

GArena
    Artemician (Artemician)
    mathieumg (mathieumg)
    Nice work man, great list.

29. - Top - End - #179

Spoiler
    Show
    USEast (Azeroth)
    atomsized (atomsized)
    douglas_m (douglas)
    Hyunkel (Hyunkel)
    mathieumg (mathieumg)
    poisonfish (Poison_Fish)
    Star_Moon (Kizara)

USWest (Lordaeron)
    flib (Poison_Fish)
    Star_Moon (Kizara)
    Windwaker (Artemician)

Europe (Northrend)
    ??? (Adumbration)

Unknown Realm

GArena
    Artemician (Artemician)
    mathieumg (mathieumg)
    must agree. great list. is on OP.
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

30. - Top - End - #180

Pride is open to random groups?
    Yeah, pretty much. All you need to form a group is a MyMYM membership, which is open for registration to pretty much anyone. As said earlier, we don't expect to make it past qualifiers (we recognize our lack of skill), but it's just for kicks.

Spoiler
    Show
    USEast (Azeroth)
    atomsized (atomsized)
    douglas_m (douglas)
    Hyunkel (Hyunkel)
    mathieumg (mathieumg)
    poisonfish (Poison_Fish)
    Star_Moon (Kizara)

USWest (Lordaeron)
    flib (Poison_Fish)
    Star_Moon (Kizara)
    Windwaker (Artemician)

Europe (Northrend)
    ??? (Adumbration)

Unknown Realm

GArena
    Artemician (Artemician)
    mathieumg (mathieumg)
    I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but triple thumbs up man.