New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Liis Parre- Evil

The night is coming as you walk down the cobble stone street. An old man walkes purposefully twards you, and you eye him suspiciously. When he is a few steps away, he stumbles and grabs onto you so he doesn't fall down. He pulls himelf up and mutters an apology. As he moves away, you feel his hand slide into your pocket, then out quickly. At first you think he took something, but as you reach into your pocket, you reasizle he left something instead. It is a note written on a small scrap of parchment that reads:
    I know what you are capable of, and I require your services. Meet me under the North Bridge in Five Minutes' time. Please find the enclosed token to show that we will pay handsomely if you accept our proposition. Speak your name to the door, and you will be allowed in. Hurry, or it will be too late!

Inside the note, you find two platnium pieces. By the time you turn around, the old man is gone.
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Liis Parre- Evil

It was an unusual sight to see an elven woman clad in animal hides with a feral wolf walking calmly besides her, but Lorria took no notice of the looks she recieved. She was happy in her own world, keeping an eye out for nature's behalf and attempting to maintain her pleasant demeanour.

When the old man fell into her arms, Lorria was happily taken aback at his good manners. "It's so hard to find pleasant people anymore; everyone else always seems so rude!" Lorria thought to herself before she discovered the note that'd been left in her pocket. The two pieces of platinum were a pleasant surprise, and as she had nothing better to do Lorria decided to pursue the invitation given to her by a total stranger.

"Come on Angelo, let's go see what the wierd old man has in store for us!" Lorria said to her wolf, oblivious to its inability to comprehend her, as she began to skip towards the north bridge, completely uncaring of whatever dangers she may be walking into.

Spoiler
    Show
    I call dibs on green for speech!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Soldiers were a common sight on Liis Parre so one travelling on his own didn't stand out too much. And that was just the way Andarius liked it. Albiet he carried a twelve foot spear but no one seemed to notice. He had managed to escaped punishment for desertion and even though his uniform was unrecognizeable he still had a nagging feeling the man was connected to the Mendge army. Still, perhaps it would give him some excercise. With that thought he turned towards the bridge.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Brand sighed as he walked down the street, a sombre look in his eyes. He was tipped off a while ago to an item of great magical power, and only recently found out it was just a hoax, another false lead. He had done all he could to become more powerful by private study, and now needed something drastic to acheive the results he wanted. He was completely lost in thought when the old man bumped into him. When he tried to bring himself up, Brand threw him to the side in disgust. He would have killed him if he weren't feeling so glum. It wasn't that he was robbed- he only kept a few coppers in his pockets- so much as having to come into contact with one of those disgusting creatures. He really should have killed him before he ran off. Sighing dejectedly, Brand continued on his path, probing his pockets to see if he had anything left. Finding the notes and the platinum, Brand's face sparks with a flicker of hope, only to fade again. It could lead him to a source of power, but probably would be just another dead end. "Oh well," Brand sighs again. "If it is, I'll just kill him. It will be a welcome catharsis."
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Leigh

Leigh was already feeling a bit despondent when the old man 'stumbled' into him. He'd come to Izvor on the spur of the moment, tempted by a murmur that a valuable artifact would be passing through. But that came to naught, and here he was on the street at nine at night, looking for any place that would give him board in exchange for a show. Like a common minstrel.

Ah, well. At least it gave him a pretense to be on the streets at this hour. It was at this time, early in the night, that interesting things happen to a fellow, he was telling himself when -- "Oh! Wha--! 'Scuse me!" -- the man fell on top of him.

Like any wary citizen, Leigh's hands plunged into his pockets, checking for what might be missing. When his thumb brushed the note, he stopped. He continued his saunter on, but took his first opportunity to duck into a tavern and unfold the note in the light from a lamp.

"North Bridge..." Leigh muttered.

Well, it's a bit dramatic, but it's worth a try. Two platinum's not much of a promise, but that man has good hands. So, the North Bridge... well, to the river.
    Last edited by HempRope; 2008-09-01 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Freudian slip
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

6. - Top - End - #6

You all seem to arrive at the north bridge at roughly the same time. The old stone bridge is dark grey in the night's shadow, and the underside is a nesting place for a family of bats. Under the bridge on either side, you see nothing but each other and an old crate. A few words carved into the crate read: We mean under the bridge. Below the crate you can see a steel metal panel on the ground, covered in grass and dirt. It looks like it has been placed there recently.
    As of 9/30/09

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

As she arrived at the bridge, Lorria was greeted by the sight of three other individuals. Happy to meet new people, she introduced herself:

"Hi there! I'm Lorria, and this is my wolf Angelo. Did you guys get a note saying to come here too?"

Whilst waiting for a response, Lorria looked around and spotted the message, as well as the crate and metal panel under it. Uprooting grass to cover a hole? How selfish of whoever did this. Before she lifted it though, she looked at the others whilst awaiting their introductions.
    Last edited by Slamexo; 2008-09-03 at 02:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Brand looks at the grate on the ground with horror. He couldn't possibly go down there. But it was better than remaining above with these simpletons before him, and there was the slight possibility that the man might have something worthwhile, so he pushed the annoying wolf girl to the side and went down the grate. Covered with dirt as he climbed down, he mutters to himself "If that man does not have something worth my time, I'll just have to make his death all the more painful."
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2008-09-02 at 05:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

As you climb deeper into the earth, the hole becomes more spaced out, and the dirt walls are replaced with a steel cylindar. The ladder drops down onto a stone platform lit by torchlight, surounded by a square of water. There is a thin bridge on one side of the square, connecting to a granite door. The door has no visible handle and seems to glow brighter the closer you are to it.
    As of 9/30/09

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Brand rolls his eyes with the sheer overcomplication of it all, and walks over to the door and kicks it. "Brand!" he shouts, "and this had better be worth my time!"
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2008-09-02 at 07:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Leigh

Leigh is happy to follow the others and happy to skip introductions. Though the girl is certainly ebullient, the others don't seem keen on talking.

Leigh raises his eyebrow at the man's outburst.

This isn't the sort of stuff to shake one's hair at. A glowing door is simple enough, but tunnels don't come cheap.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"I,m Andarius, campaigned a bit it my day. That's all you need to know."

Scum, the lot of them,
    Andarius thinks, the druid seems reasonable but not the priest, I know his type. Well, perhaps they'll have a change of heart. He scowls and continues down the passage.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Happy that at least one of the strangers was polite enough to reply, Lorria followed the others down the hole to the same stone door. Realising what to do, Lorria announced herself.

"I am Lorria Lorthon, and this is my wolf Angelo!"

She waited for whatever was going to happen to happen.

14. - Top - End - #14

As all four of you approch the door and speak your name, it drifts appart, as if made of ashes. before you lies a shoort hallway, leading into an enormous, brightly lit dome. You can tell that the tip of the dome is far higher up than ground level. Inside there is a commotion of activity. The back of the dome seems to be a training ground for swordplay, while the front is a mishmash of people coming out of the many doors on the side, trying to get from one place to another. Two dwarves guard the entrance to the dome, but nod at you and step aside as you come closer. One person inside, cleary with some sort of authority, spots and walks twards you.
    As of 9/30/09

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

"And who is this I see before me?" Brand spits at the man, his voice full fo acid.

16. - Top - End - #16

The human narrows his eyes at Brand but pretends not to hear him. I see you all took us up on our offer. This is good. However, I distinctly remeber sending out five invatations. Regardles... The note was't very specific, so I'll explain it further here. My clan of rouges and I have a special job for you. Something that I believe will be right up your alley. But before I begin, let us move to somewhere more comfortable. Right here is rather busy. Would anyone like anything? Wine? Brandy? It's clear by looking around and the man's atitude that these are people who spare no expense.
    As of 9/30/09

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Looking around the room in amazement, Lorria is surprised when the mysterious stranger begins to talk. After listening to his offer, she decides she could go for a nice glass of brandy.

"Your finest glass of brandy then, if you're offering."

She smiles to the generous man, then turns to the rude person next to her who just talked with such spite and gave him a firm punch on the arm.

"You show some manners when people invite you places and pay you for it!"

Giving him a quick scowl, Lorria turned back to the other man, ready to follow him wherever he goes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Brand snaps out his arm and is about to ask for some wine, and more specifically, information, when the annoying wolf girl touches him. How could that thing, that creature, have the gall to touch him? She did it so fippantly, so casually, it was almost as if she didn't realize that he was a superior being! He fills with rage and draws his dagger, aiming for her neck as she walks away, but then controls himself. That would be wanton cruelty- extremely wasteful. Besides, physical violence is so very messy. He calms himself, smiles, and falls into step with the girl, apologizing for his horrible conduct, asking her name and for a glass of wine from the man. After all, even these underlings deserved kindness once in a while. He could vent his anger somewhere else, when he was in the mood.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2008-09-03 at 06:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Leigh

Leigh isn't quick to speak his name to the door, but when the others have and it's clearly necessary, he follows suit.

"Leigh Lithsayer," he tells it clearly.

He walks abreast of the others into the room, openly marveling at the first-class facilities. He doesn't seem to pay much attention to the man speaking, still glancing about the dome, until the offer of the drinks.

After Lorria orders, he raises his left hand, two fingers pointing up.

"A double," he says.

When Brand draws the dagger, Leigh's eyes snap to it and he goes very still until the man lowers his arm.

Well. That's not one to trust.

...Good to remind myself since I put my trust in people so easily
    Last edited by HempRope; 2008-09-03 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Simu'ed!
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

As he catches sight of the dagger, Andarius starts and sinks about a foot, bending at the knees but returns when he sees there's no danger. Huh, looks like I was right. Gotta keep an eye on that one. He looks at Leigh and says , "I'll have one as well."

My meager homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21

Very well. He says something to an elf pasing by, who nods and hurries through another passage. The man unlocks a door to one side and steps in. This room is much more cofortable looking then the last. There are two dark red couched set at the end, arranged in a V, with one chair at the end. He sits down at the chair and waits for you to do the same.
    As of 9/30/09

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Moving over the one of the chairs facing the stranger, Lorria slumps herself down beckons Angelo to her, who sits besides her whilst she strokes his head.

"So, whoever you are, what's the reason for calling us here then? You said we had some skills you could use."

She gives him a curious glance, wondering what his reasons are.

23. - Top - End - #23

Ah, yes. I suppose I should start from the beginning. Do any of you know of the legend of Scven Vijest? The elf from before walksa into the room and sets the drinks on the table. The man picks one up and begins takes a sip, the continues speaking. Back when this land was still being settled, Scven was one of the most promonent warriors and explorers of the time. Some say the man was extereamly lucky, some say he was very skilled. But we know the truth behind his power. Somehow he had obtained an extreamly strong magical suit of armor, that was the key to his success. One night, many years later, Scven was attacked and murdered during his sleep by a vicious group of gnolls, who intended to make sure that the armor never remained whole. They treid to destroy it, but found that they couldn't. So intead, they decided to seal it away in places all over the world. It is our goal to collect the armor, which has been divided into five groups, and for that, we are hiring you four. So far, we only know the location of one, and it is well guarded. The entrance to the area is sealed with a spell that instantly destroys any who touch it. For that, we have obtained these amulets. They should protect you from the harmful effects. He reaches into his pocket and pulles out four small necklaces, each with a blue crystal on the end, which looks like ice.
    As of 9/30/09

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Taking her brandy from the table and sipping it slowly, Lorria listens with interest to the tale.

"Well, I'm confused how good he could've been if a band of gnolls were able to deal with him, but on the other note, what's in it for us if we do this for you? I wouldn't be right to doubt you don't want to share, would I?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Brand crosses his legs and sips his wind, smiling softly. He was dissapointed that there didn't seem to be anything that could further him on his quest for power, but a group this powerful owng him a debt could work in his favor. "I agree" he says, nodding towards Lorria. "What's in it for us?"
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2008-09-04 at 05:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Andarius remains sanding behind the couches, his drink untouched, where he has a good view of everyone. "Yes," he echoes, "How exactly do you intend to compel us to do this and what will you do with the armor once we've delivered it?"

My meager homebrew

27. - Top - End - #27

Ah, of course. If this is about weath, I can assure you, we have more than plety. However, I sense not. Maybe you want information on something, or someone. We have a great many services you can offer. Maybe you have an enemy you want... removed? And you asked how Scven could have been slain while wearing the suit. He nods twards Lorria. It's simple really. The armor makes the wearer strong, but not invincible. Were he awake, the fight would have been over quickly. As it is, it's not hard to run a blade through a man's neck while he's sleeping, now is it? Like I was saying, I'm sure we can figure out a deal. Even... He hesitates for a moment, choosing his words carefully. When we are entirely finished with it, you may keep it, to use as you see fit.
    As of 9/30/09

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Finished doing what exactly," Andarius asks.

My meager homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29

His glares at Andarius for a moment, but replies anyway. We have been paid a considerable amount from an employer in Mengde to take care of a situation there, and for that we require the armor. That is all you need to know.
    As of 9/30/09

30. - Top - End - #30

Leigh

Leigh takes the double from the tray of drinks and takes a small sip, swallowing slowly to appreciate the brandy. He smiles.

As the man explains the tale, Leigh listens carefully, but barely looks at him. His eyes surreptitiously rove over his soon-to-be-companions as he matches this version of Vjest's legend with what he's heard.

Bardic Knowledge - (1d20+7)[23]

When he's done with his explanation, Leigh speaks.

"All we need to know about what you'll do with the armor, sure. But if you're offering to barter services you really ought to explain what you can do. And -- I'm sorry, the name of the organization seems to have slipped my mind for the moment. Do you mind refreshing my memory, mister...?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE