New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alpha Centauri

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Alpha Centauri

Regenisis's eyes snapped open as she heard the psychic message from the duke. It was the next day and once again she was in her NS chamber speaking with her head of agricultural studies, the countess Sophia.

Only very urgent need could let the duke contact her.

Milady, as we were digging through the earth setting the ground work for Lancelot base we found a hollowed out cave the duke said exicitedly, any anger at his Empress vanished in his enthusism.

What did you find Raymond? Regenisis asked equally exicited. She knew the duke did not get excited often, so it must be important.

Inside the chamber was a monolith made of a bronze-like metal. On it's sides glowing green pictograms stand out, some of the more scientific civilians say that with some study they could actually tap into it! the Duke was waiting for a positive answer.

That is amazing news she said with enthuism I'll send Dr. Miller, he is our leading Archeologist! after a second she ordered I want that base up and running immediatly

By your command Milady! and with that she cut the connection. She smirked coldly, things were going perfectly...

100 D.E.A.W's to help in base construction
    100 D.E.A.W.'s for farming
    50 D.E.A.W.'s simple base maintenence in Camelot
    150 additional colonists on base construction
    200 on menial duties (Farming, maintenece)
    900 on reserch
    900 on monolith research
    500 on military production
    50 civilians and 50 D.E.A.D's on exploration
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The Usurpers discover a small boost of energy credits. All factions receive another small boost of energy credits.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Deirdre Skye picked her way down a steep jumble of rocks, slick with spray from the waterfall that cascaded to her left Safely reaching level ground, she paused for a moment beside the churning pool at the base of the falls, laying her hand against the trunk of a silverpine tree. Halfway along the valley below, she could see the improbably sharp line where the greens and browns of Earthlike forest gave way to the salmon, peach and crimson streaks of a healthy fungus bloom.

The sharp division was intentional. One of the first things Skye and her fellow geneticists had done upon landing was to give the Terran species in their gene banks a fatal weakness to the chemicals produced by Chiron's fungus. Where the fungus grew, no Earth plant would intrude; Deirdre knew all too well how a suddenly introduced invasive species could ravage an ecosystem.

The principle would be put to the test soon with the construction of the new agricultural complex on the eastern plains. Demeter's Hold would triple the biomass of Earth species her people had placed on Planet, and Deirdre was still worried about the implications. Genetic drift was easy enough to monitor, but...

She was doing it again.

Between late nights in the labs and endless days in conference rooms and senate chambers, it seemed she never had time to experience the things what she was working to protect. For now, no planning; it was enough to hear the roar of the waterfall, touch the rough texture of silverpine bark, taste the alien tang of fungus on the wind, and feel the solidity of Planet under her feet.

Just as Deirdre felt herself beginning to relax, her communicator buzzed softly. With a rueful chuckle she unclipped the device from her belt, glanced at its screen, and opened a circuit. "Skye here."

A flood of excited words spilled from the communicator, causing Deirdre to flinch reflexively and hold it away from her ear. "Wait, Lazlo, slow down," she countered. "Susan's team found a...That's fascinating, Lazlo, but...what?"

Deirdre leaned heavily against the tree, as if without its support she might forget how to stand. "Intelligent construction? Those were her exact...She's sure it's not a prank? Yes, I know Sarah's not an idiot, but this is...Lazlo, there's no word for what this is."

The discovery of nonhuman life on Chiron had been exhilerating, and fascinating, and terrifying (Goddess, let us not kill this world like we killed our own) but nonhuman intelligence would be all those things cubed.

"I'm heading back right now," she said "Round up all the department heads you can find, and tell Susan we'll link with her in an hour. Yes, sure, get Hakim too. Yes...listen, Lazlo, I've got to climb some rocks. Gonna hang up now. Skye out." The flood of words from the other end hadn't slowed, but Deirdre snapped the communicator shut anyway. She had long understood that you can never actually end a conversation with Lazlo Clarke, only walk away while he continued to happily toss out ideas.

Her moment of peaceful contemplation forgotten, Deirdre's mind churned as she climbed back toward the trail to Gaia's Landing. We'll need a chemist to analyze the physical structure of the monolith, she decided. Geologists to study the strata where it was found. Cryptographers, definitely...and the encoded information might be astronomical, so we'll need...hell, she thought. We need Zakharov. Never expected to say that.

But if the old bastard's still alive, she reflected with a sudden grin, will he ever be jealous that we found this first!

Synopsis of Gaian activity:

Building a new base, Demeter's Hold, to take advantage of the fertile agricultural land to the east. (Assuming that it's too distant to be farmed from Gaia's Landing.)

Highest priority is research. We really want to figure out what this monolith is; assign as many top researchers as needed. Remaining researchers will continue working to understand Planet's life forms and ecology, and to a smaller extent on general science and engineering.

Moderate commitment to infrastructure -- make sure both bases have the energy and resources they need, and make sure our computer network meets the needs of the researchers.

Light military commitment, focusing more on mindworm training and control than on physical weapons.
    Last edited by disorder; 2008-08-31 at 05:49 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Soon, Diedre discovers through her contacts that there are fungal blooms coming out from a great lake nearby. Apparently, sea life exists here on Planet as well. All that any player can discover from the artifacts they found is that when jacked into the computer, they emit energy enough to last the factions for years, and then crumble to dust.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nautilus Pirates

The pirates second base, Crow's Nest, south of Safe Haven is an impressive statement of the Pirate way of life. The buildings are brand new and the clean dome glass expand underwater, people walking on transparent platform, occasionally stopping to gaze in the depths of Chiron. Morgane seems to lose her focus for a second but realizes time is lacking, continuing her walk to the main government building in the base. She enters the throne room and bows as she approaches.

"You did a good job. But I need to give you your new assignment already. Don't fail me in this. There is a strange structure on the coast between the two bases. Our scouts reported that it was nothing... 'human'. I'm intrigued. There was no signs of activity from what our devices could tell. I want you to investigate, Morgane, the Squad already awaits on your foil and will accompany you there under your orders. Good luck, and come back to me."

He smiles, not an unusual sight, but for Morgane, it had much significance. She represses her own smile and simply gives in as neutral a voice as she could muster: "Yes, sir."

When she leaves, Ulrik slowly gets up from the throne and gazes through the large bay windows into the ocean. He felt uneasy lately, almost as if something, someone, was crying out to him, was shouting for him to react. He frowns slightly, and he orders one of the guards to get another squad under orders of Morgane for the expedition.

"I... fear that she may need it on land. The sea... we know. Land. That's where the dangerous stuff is. And send word to Sonia, I want her on scouting mission. Report any unity pods wreckage and salvage it."

On Land:
    • 1 squad continuing exploration.
    • 1 squad guarding/studying the monolith.

On Water:
    • 1 foil squad scouting for UN salvage.
    • 1 sea former planting Kelp Farms.

Safe Haven (Building) Sea Colony pod.

Crows Nest (Researching).
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-09-01 at 05:00 AM.
    A Revenant

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

*bumps the thread back up the list*
    A Revenant

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by El_Frenchie View Post
    Nautilus Pirates

The pirates second base, Crow's Nest, south of Safe Haven is an impressive statement of the Pirate way of life. The buildings are brand new and the clean dome glass expand underwater, people walking on transparent platform, occasionally stopping to gaze in the depths of Chiron. Morgane seems to lose her focus for a second but realizes time is lacking, continuing her walk to the main government building in the base. She enters the throne room and bows as she approaches.

"You did a good job. But I need to give you your new assignment already. Don't fail me in this. There is a strange structure on the coast between the two bases. Our scouts reported that it was nothing... 'human'. I'm intrigued. There was no signs of activity from what our devices could tell. I want you to investigate, Morgane, the Squad already awaits on your foil and will accompany you there under your orders. Good luck, and come back to me."

He smiles, not an unusual sight, but for Morgane, it had much significance. She represses her own smile and simply gives in as neutral a voice as she could muster: "Yes, sir."

When she leaves, Ulrik slowly gets up from the throne and gazes through the large bay windows into the ocean. He felt uneasy lately, almost as if something, someone, was crying out to him, was shouting for him to react. He frowns slightly, and he orders one of the guards to get another squad under orders of Morgane for the expedition.

"I... fear that she may need it on land. The sea... we know. Land. That's where the dangerous stuff is. And send word to Sonia, I want her on scouting mission. Report any unity pods wreckage and salvage it."

On Land:
    • 1 squad continuing exploration.
    • 1 squad guarding/studying the monolith.

On Water:
    • 1 foil squad scouting for UN salvage.
    • 1 sea former planting Kelp Farms.

Safe Haven (Building) Sea Colony pod.

Crows Nest (Researching).
    Crow's Haven experiences a mind worm attack. Fortunately there were almost no casualties. Somehow the mind worms crawled over 100 miles from a tiny island and attempted to attack the people there. Meanwhile, a "scout" from the Nautilus Pirates discover an area of brighter sun energy affecting an area above the waters.

The other factions all discover something within a 500 mile radius around their starting areas. (Just more land)
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2008-09-03 at 06:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

MEGA BUMP!

The Bioshock peopelswill devote half their peopels to cultivation the other half to research of new bio enhancements.