New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: In Service to the Prophet (IC)

Erion

The warlock checks his gear along with the others, but also takes a moment to consider the ribbon, and whether or not it is tugging on his wrist or sitting placidly. We should be cautious. Sometimes the correct place is made wrong by getting there too soon as well as too late. No offense to Sir Selena's soldiers, but their job is to make ours easier, and if it is so fated, they will perish like every other short mortal flame.

Mounting his horse, Erion speaks again. Speaking of rituals, I have a few that might prove handy that I have been learned, and a few that have been...taught. One that will shield our torchbearer from being spotted, and more immediately, one that will shield us from harsh weather should the night weather be foul. I am not sure of the weather in this area, but foresight and preparedness are our best defense against any threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

The ribbons will jump towards the east occasionally, but no more than every few minutes. It would appear that you are expected to go that way, but that you have time on your side.

Your passage out of the city is slow due to the crowds, but uneventful. The guardsmen at the gates do not attempt to stop you, and you notice no one following or watching you more than you would expect anyone on horseback to be followed or watched. As you pass through the walls, the Old Road stretches before you, hardpacked dirt with a few ancient cobblestones half-buried beneath the dust.

On the road itself, you make good time. A few farmers' wagons, empty after their trip to market, roll lazily back home, but you pass these and the farms their destinations easily and without incident. Just under an hour later, the road turns sharply south as to continue east would take it into wetlands: the fens.

On the north side of the road, where the swamps come close to it, the road ends in a sharp drop, about three feet tall, where the road was obviously built up so it wouldn't get washed out. As your horses descend this slope, you suddenly notice a person at its base, covered in nearly-shredded clothing, blood, and mud, with his face just barely half out of a small puddle, sputtering and groaning as he struggles to breathe.

He seems to notice you and moans roughly, Help... me, before coughing violently.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Talis Holden, Human Fighter

Talis leaps down from his horse and runs to the man's aide. He pulls him up and begins tending to his wounds. "I'm a friend. What happened to you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal Roll: (1d20+7)[11]

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    #@$&!
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-09-02 at 11:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker

Seeker dismounts his steed, readying his shield and putting a hand to the hilt of his scimitar. He narrows his eyes, scanning the area looking for a potential threat, taking a cursory glance at the ribbon around his left arm in the process.

"Indeed, friend. What's the cause of this? You can trust us to help you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (d20+3)[5]

If he detects nothing, Seeker assists Talis with helping the man. If he detects a threat, he'll warn the others and draw his sword should the need arise.

Heal (Aid Another): (d20+8)[17] (just in case)
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar leaps off his horse and hurries to the man's aid. After looking the man over, he smiles at him. "You'll be fine friend. Everything will be okay. You're safe now. Just take it easy."

Spoiler
    Show

Inspiring Word (can spend a healing surge and regain 1d6 additional hp)
    Shake it Off (He can make a saving throw with a power bonus of +3)
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

Parmenides follows his companions slowly, letting those more skilled in healing and conversation to take the lead. I wonder if we where ment to find this man. We're following a prophecy, after all, and it's a strange coincidence. Pepole passing on the road probably wouldn't have noticed him at all. Better pay attention, then.

7. - Top - End - #37

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

The warlock takes a cautious glance at the ribbon as he dismounts, suspicion edging up on him. No matter what it indicates, he edges off the road, but remains to watch it, trying to observe while unseen. He listens distractedly to whatever the party says behind him, muttering a calming prayer of Ioun, resisting the urge to start channeling power now in case of trouble later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth - (1d20+6)[25]
    Perception - (1d20+5)[12]
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just in case a flurry of posting should occur, know that I'll be out of town today. I should be back late this evening, but depending on when that happens I might not be able to get back here until tomorrow sometime. Thought you might like a heads-up.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The man seems to struggle to speak as Talis and Seeker utterly fail to find any wounds on his body. "The old ruins in the swamp. Dragon, attacked my farm. My wife - ate her. My kids - trapped under the barn. You must help them! They'll die alone! A fit of coughing racks his body.

As he speaks, Erion notices a pair of figures in a tree about twenty feet from the side of the road and about ten feet off the ground. They are shrouded in shadow otherwise, but have a clear view to the man on the ground and you.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's fine, rtg... I might end up making a few rolls for you, but probably nothing that you wouldn't do yourself, and I'll assume that you're following everyone else's lead.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

No doubt the poor man suffered greately. He is distraught. Parmenides, (oblivious to the figures,) dismounts and moves closer. "Try to calm down, friend, we'll help if we can. Tell me: Did the dragon came from the old ruins in the swamp? Surely your farm isn't located there, what direction is it?"

Spoiler
    Show

I feel like I'm missing something here.
    Why is the man sputtering and groaning, struggling to speak? Is he just excited and out of breath? Is he sane? afraid? something else?
    Insight: (1d20+9)[13]

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, the ruins. My farm is ten miles southeast of here... away from the roads. Please, go quickly! And if you value your lives, stay away from the beast. He coughs and wheezes more.

From what you can tell, he is attempting to act as if he was badly wounded and nearly dying, and mostly failing.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar frowns and gets up. He glances in the direction the man indicated, then at the others. He raises an eyebrow in silent question before looking back at the man. "Just tell us where you're hurt sir and we'll help you, then head out to help your family as best we can. That way you can come with us and show us the way."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker

Noticing the others stopping their "treatment" of the stranger, Seeker begins impatiently, "For a man that survived a dragon attack, you don't look particularly injured. Perhaps you're mistaken, sir, about the details. And perhaps you'd like to start with your name." Seeker, too, stands up and glares at the man pointedly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (d20+9)[11]

I know the Goddess asks for balance in reason and emotion, but this looks like a ruse at worst and a waste of time at best. But Ioun help me, I'm just not sure what to think about this stranger.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

14. - Top - End - #44

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

The Warlock continues his vigil, taking special care to occasionally look past, but not at, the men in the tree. Praying to Ioun to grant his meaning to his allies, he half turns to the party. Now, now. Be at ease. This man has just suffered a traumatic attack. Why, I'd sooner see men growing from trees and falling like fruit than for us to pass by people who could be harmed. Brother Seeker, perhaps you should lay hands on him.

Spoiler
    Show

[roll=Bluff check to get my true meaning across without tipping my hand to the plant]1d20 +10[/roll]
    Meaning: There are people in the trees waiting for us. We should be harming them (and the "victim" now). Brother Seeker, please strangle him to death and lets get this started.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-09-05 at 10:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

DwarfBarbarianGuy

It is refusing to roll, so here is a repeat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    bluff - (1d20+10)[17]
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Talis Holden

Talis looks up from the wounded man. "Trees..." he mutters. Taking a look around he notices a tree...

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check to see if I see the men in the tree...

(1d20+4)[20]

And sorry for not posting much, I just didn't think there was anything more relevant for Talis to do...
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-09-05 at 10:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The man pauses for a bit, before continuing strongly, My wounds are not important! You must - he stops himself, then coughs raggedly (and not very convincingly) - go and help my wife! He falls onto his right side and rolls a bit, but his eyes remain open and clear. Without warning, his hand comes out of the mud holding a sword which he swings wildly at Talis as he shouts in Elven, Now! Talis and Erion notice the figures in the tree shift slightly, nocking arrows to bows, as a pair of Elves with spears and leather shields rise, gasping for breath, from where they had been hiding underwater with reeds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+9)[10]
    Damage if hit - (1d8+6)[12]

Initiative1 - (1d20+11)[12]
    Initiative2 - (1d20+5)[19]
    Initiative3 - (1d20+5)[22]
    Initiative4 - (1d20+7)[19]
    Initiative5 - (1d20+7)[21]

Initiative, people.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Talis Holden

Talis dodges the man's blade, quickly drawing his own and swinging at the man on the ground. (I assume he is still prone.)

"Foul trickster, I will have your blood! To arms, my comrades!"

Initiative"(1d20+4)[17]
    Reaping Strike: (1d20+10)[24]
    Hit Damage: (1d10+6)[13]
    Miss Damage: 4
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-09-05 at 11:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Erion

Fools. Fate is on our side.
    The warlock pulls the simple rod off his belt as he points to the cluster of archers. He selects the nearest one and intones solemnly The void will claim you. A dark glower comes over his features. Erion whispers an eldritch word, which shoots out of his mouth like an arrow and flies towards the ear of the person who he cursed.

Initiative - (1d20+1)[19]
    Dreadful Word - (1d20+7)[13] (Charisma+Prime Shot v. Will)
    [roll=Damage]2d8+1d6+5[/roll]

If I hit, the target also gets -1 to Will Defense until the end of my next turn.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Seeker

"As I suspected," Seeker bellows, drawing his scimitar. "Ioun grant us victory!" He turns to the two elves that just rose from the mud.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the two that came from underwater are adjacent when my initiative comes up, I'll issue a Divine Challenge to mark one of them (-2 on attacks that aren't against me) as a minor action and make it take 6 radiant damage if it doesn't attack me on its turn; I'll then make a Valiant Strike against the one I challenged.

If they're not adjacent, I'll just move to them and then use the Valiant Strike.

I'll just add +1 to the attack for the one I'm swinging at (I get +1 to-hit for each adjacent enemy with that power), but if there're other enemies (or the original "hurt" fellow) adjacent by the time of my attack I'd appreciate if you could add it in for me.

Initiative: (d20+0)[4]
    Minor Action: Draw scimitar
    Move/Minor: Either move or use Divine Challenge
    Valiant Strike: (d20+8)[11] (+1 for other adj enemies, not yet included)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5]

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, here's a rules question about combat. A light shield lets you hold an item in your shield hand, though you can't attack with it. If I hold an implement in that hand and wield the scimitar in the other, what sort of action would it be to switch them to use any implement powers? It's not important for this round, but it might be later.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Dumar

Dumar draws his warhammer. He moves to engage the elf that Seeker doesn't attack. He wills his hammer to begin radiating its chill as he swings it at the elf.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20+4)[21]
    Attack (1d20+6)[8]
    Damage (1d10+4)[6] All damage is cold damage

Please remember that everyone within 10 squares of me gets a +2 to initiative.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

A pretender, trying to lead us astray. Elves in the pond! What's next? Orcs falling from the clouds? Parmenides lifts his orb, that hangs from his belt at his usual place.

Spoiler
    Show

First I'll roll initiative, then I'll post my actions
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[7] (Including Dumar's bonus)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

Spoiler
    Show

My low initiative indicates I act after the elves/enemies.
    I assume the elves (figures) in the tree shot at us and revealed their location, so I'll try to use Icy Terrain to make them fall from the tree. Wouldn't that be fun?
    If from some reason I can't do that, I'll try to catch at least the two elves with the spears (without hitting my comrades).

Parmenides looks to where the arrows came from. He channels magic through his orb, and realeses it with a single arcane word, trying to catch both figures in the cold. Ice covers the tree around the place where the archers hid, freezing the air and making the branches slippery.

Spoiler
    Show

Icy Terrain, two targets: (1d20+7)[13], (1d20+7)[11] vs. Reflex
    Hit - (1d6+6)[7] cold damage and the target is prone.
    Also the area is difficult terrain (if a tree isn't normally one).
    Note that it's an area effect, so no concealment.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, so several of you need to reroll initiative:
    Erion, Dumar, and one of the elves are tied.
    Talis and two of the elves are tied.
    You'll stay mostly on the same initiative count, so rerolling won't make you go after anyone you wouldn't have before, but I need to know what the order will be within that particular count.

Spoiler
    Show
    As it stands, the order is thus:
    The nearer of the archers
    Erion, Dumar, or the further of the spearmen
    Erion, Dumar, or the further of the spearmen
    Erion, Dumar, or one further the spearmen
    Talis, one of the archers, or one of the spearmen
    The elf on the ground
    Parmenides
    Seeker

If the situation is changed drastically enough by the time your turn rolls around, I'll let you change it.

For now, the nearer of the 2 archers fires his bow at Parmenides
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack vs. AC - (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage if hit - (1d10+4)[11]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Initiatve (1d20+4)[7]
    Ioun doesn't like me apparently :D
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2008-09-05 at 08:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Parmenides

Parmenides lets out a cry of pain as the arrow pierces his armor and penetrates the flesh. He turns to face his assailant - "Damn you, fiend! I'll make you regret this."

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh well. I rolled a 4 and a 6, and he hit me with a 20. That's a critical, so the damage is 14. The first enemy attack in the game bloodied me. Typical, realy.

NecroRebel, as I already posted my attack above, if my roll of 13 Reflex is a hit, it would be nice if it would hit that very same archer that hurt me. (He is the closer one, anyway).
    Also, just in case he will suffer additional damage for falling from the tree: (1d10)[1]

After my attack, I'll use my move to hide behind Erion to get cover, if he doesn't mind and if it's not too close to the melee.

27. - Top - End - #57

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[4]

abcdefg
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative Reroll:(1d20+4)[15]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Spearman's Second Initiative - (1d20+7)[8]

So, it looks like next is the spearman, since he's actually incapable of rolling less than Erion or Dumar

Spoiler
    Show
    The first spearman slogs through the mud and water until he is opposite the man on the ground across Talis, then stabs at him with his spear.
    Attack - (1d20+12)[30]
    Damage if hit - (1d8+5)[12] And you are marked if the attack lands.

And it is Dumar's turn, followed by Erion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Other initiative rolls while I'm thinking of it
    Other Archer - (1d20+5)[6]
    [roll=Other Spearman[1d20+7[/roll]

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and rtg092, I just noticed that I neglected to answer your question before. I'll allow you to switch which weapon is in which hand as a minor action, or as a free action you may simply open your offhand for use for attacks, but you'll give up your shield bonus until the start of your next turn.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wups. Wrong bracket on that second spearman's initiative roll.
    Other Spearman - (1d20+7)[23]

Alright, so final initiative order is:
    Archer1
    Spearman1
    Dumar
    Erion
    Spearman2
    Talis
    Archer2
    Trickster
    Parmenides
    Seeker
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2008-09-06 at 12:05 AM.