New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Vega South Campaign

There is nothing. Nothing at all. As your eyes open, you see each other, and a swirling mass of nothing. No color, smell, sound, touch, or taste, save that which the youths around you produce.

Spoiler
    Show
    We are going to start with a simple introduction of the characters, including both a visual description, and maybe some in-game dialogue about why everyone is together.

Then a simple combat sequence in which I attempt to get my map working, and then we create the rest of the world around you and start the game
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Vega South Campaign

[Aetheas, Healer in Training]

Nothing. What. a. drag.

Aetheas was used to the colors of his home town, not this void of color, sound, and well... Everything. Even though there was a small amount of people around, it was still a rather eerie feeling. "Greetings." God that sounded odd even for the happily suave voice of this blond haired, blue eyed human.

From within this void he clearly stood to be at an exact 6 foot tall with an thin build. His sapphire blue eyes always seemed to show more of a goodly innocence of a helper than a malicious will to fight. He was dressed in a fairly simple set of a white shirt covering his armor, and a matching pair of pants and shoes. Very simple. Even his only weapon, a piece of barkless wood about two feet shorter than he was held within his right hand like a walking stick.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've got to ask, is there an echo due to the void?
    Characters:

I live on the time zone which is -5 hours to GMT, but I'm a night owl. Beware!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Venderholfen
    HP: 12 (Rage 14) AC: 16 (Rage 14) SP: N/A

"What is this place?" Asks the grey skinned hulking humanoid, his canine teeth pronounced enough to be visible when his mouth is closed. The Demi-Orc Barbarian, solid in his studded leather, his freshly sharpened bronze greataxe at the ready, a pack secure on his back. A few flasks and torches hang from his belt, as does a sheathed dagger. His beard is forked, and his shaved head displays a prominant scar that crosses his scalp, as if someone tried to split his head with an axe, and failed. He has a leave stuck to the bottom of his boot, but is otherwise dressed in relativly clean, solid sturdy clothing, built on a practical scale, rather then for ostentatious displays. As he stands there, questioning, his eyes take in the others first with a quick scan for the largest threat, and then more slowly when he sees none seem overtly hostile.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2008-08-30 at 06:26 PM.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

4. - Top - End - #4

Spoiler
    Show

I've got to ask, is there an echo due to the void?
    Due to the void? No. Echos are the result of sound waves bouncing off of the surroundings, and thus returning to around the origin after some time has passed. The void is nothingness incarnate. The matrix here isn't filled with zeros. It hasn't been defined yet.

It is, however, shapable, albeit on a limited level, by the occupants. If you so choose it to be, your voice may echo in this area. At their choice, however, other's voices may not be.

I like these descriptions. I will use them when I remake the avatars, so don't be shy guys.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Palin HP: 9 AC: 15
    A half elf darts his head back and forth, while chewing on strips of dried meat and roots. His wild, lank mess of shoulder length black hair stirs as he moves, and his deep purple eyes sparkle with inquisitiveness. He stands at over 6', very tall for his race, with grayish skin covering an extremely lean body with almost no fat showing whatsoever, and no facial hair. He wears a shapeless olive green shirt over his studded jerkin, and dark, worn, baggy grey pants. At his belt is a longsword with a diamond shaped pommel and angular curved quillions, whose blade is wrapped in a long strip of cloth. At his right is a coiled whip and a good sized pouch, from which dried foods seem to flow endlessly. On his back he wears a rather small leather pack, with a leather embellished wood case tied to the top, standing out in that it is the only thing he has that seems to be in good condition, other than his sword, which is largely covered by its sheathe (which is very worn). After examining every part of the area, banging on the floor, running around, he gives an annoyed look as he realizes that the place is very unusual, but very boring after first glance. He then bites off the end of the root he was chewing on and puts the rest back into his pouch, only to lie down on the floor, then pull a pipe from his pouch to smoke. He spends about a minute blowing smoke rings, then puts his pipe away and pulls a violin out of the wooden case. It looks very old and used, covered with scratches and a fading finish, but it is very well cared for, the strings pristine and perfect with clean, even flax on the bow. Palin procedes to play, at first with a slow, sad tune, but quickly escalating in tempo. Eventually it reaches a frantic staccato, and it quickly becomes clear that he is a superb player. After some time of this, he fumbles, making a jarring, screeching sound. His face contorts, and he slowly, carfully puts the violin back in its case. After it is securely locked in, he puts the case on the ground, walks a few steps away, then lets out a litany of curses, pounding on the ground and eventually throws his pack down and stomps on it. After a bit, he calms down, brushes off his pack, puts it and his case back on, and pulls his pipe back out.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2008-08-30 at 08:23 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kurth, Demi-Orc Barbarian

Kurth slowly opens his eyes, then rubs them. This can't be right! His mind qualms for a moment at the lack of floor, walls, sky; nothing to orient himself by except the others. As he begins to regain his grip on reality he realizes that at a minimum, all the creatures he can see are "standing" in the same direction, and have their feet at about the same "height", where a floor should be...

To the others, Kurth appears as a slightly runtish demi-orc. He's short and lithe, lacking the bulky muscles that most of his race posess. His head and face are clean-shaven (well, as clean as you can get with a crude bronze knife), and a scar is visible that runs from his lower left eyelid toward the corner of his jawbone beneath his left ear.

Kurth is wearing a rough suit of studded leather over a plain brown jerkin. The strap of his pack runs across his chest from right shoulder to left hip, with a bulging pouch hanging off the strap at the bottom. He hefts his bronze greataxe in what he intends as a token of greeting.

"Health and honor, friends."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I've switched to DarkOrange, as it shows a bit better on the default white background.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As Kurth observes the strange half-elf's behavior, he comes to the realization that there are floor, ceiling, and walls, but the lighting and coloration are so uniform as to make it appear otherwise. Of course, he doesn't actually think of it in such precise terms, but he gets the gist of it. To test his theory, he makes a mighty stomp on the floor. Sure enough, though he is still unable to ascertain why.

Perhaps this is a trance, set by the tribe shaman, where we are to learn from visions, he thinks to himself. Working under this theory, he contents himself to continue observing his companions.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Kenner

The young wood elf stands at the edge of the group, as his almond-shaped emerald green eyes open, they seem aglow as they drink in whatever ambient light is available in order for him to see. A wild mane of copper hair frames a thin, but deeply tanned and angular face. Bits of bone, claws and feathers are woven or tied into the fiery hair. He smiles - a fierce, predatory smile that reminds the viewer of the smoky gray wolf that sits beside the elf, tongue lolling out of its mouth as it, too, tries to get a sense of the location. The elf wears hide armor patched together with many different animal skins. He carries a spear in his right hand while the left rests atop the wolf's head, idly scratching between the ears. A mottled green and brown hooded cloak hangs from his shoulders, swaying gently in a slight breeze that also seems to lift and twist the various bangles in his hair. Sturdy leather boots match the hide armor. A heavy oaken cudgel hangs from his belt and a shortbow pokes out from the quiver under the cloak. He stands a hair under five and a half feet, but his limbs are muscular and it is clear he is exceptionally sturdy for an elf.

"Arvala treyu mons latois?" he says, then shakes his head as his grin spreads further across his face. "I apologize. I am Kenner. My companion is Smoke. I asked if anyone knew what drew us here, for I am ignorant of the cause?"

Spoiler
    Show
    He spoke elven for those who also know the language.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-08-30 at 08:38 PM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

9. - Top - End - #9

[Aetheas]

Aetheas would shrug his shoulders, the stuff within his little pack hanging off his back jingling from the stuff it held. He did not truly knowing the answer, nor even where to begin. But everything had a purpose, even this would eventually shed some light upon why they were here.

"I do not believe any of us have a point to go off from for an answer. Although I do think that no one will go against the point of we're all here for a reason, right?
    "Oh, my apologies, name's Aetheas Treak, how about you all?"
    He said with a minor bow.
    Characters:

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler
    Show
    We seem to missing two, of seven. If they don't post by the end of the day when I make the next post, its just you guys.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose I will recieve requests to have them join the campaign later. For the moment, it's you guys.

The world begins to take shape around the characters drawn into the world. The heat of a light fire can be felt, eminating from the center of the group. The walls around them circle and lead upward in a cone, similar to a teepee. But area still requires shape. It still requires a soul... What do you see, touch, smell, feel, and taste? Of this little world within the canvas and animal pelts, what exists?
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kurth notices the lighting shift, ever so subtly. So minute was the change that Kurth can't tell if it wasn't always this way to begin with. He can now see the fire and the walls and feel the rough ground beneath him. Before he even notices it, the feeling and memory of the void begin to evaporate in the warmth of the enclosure.

Kurth finds himself sitting facing the fire. He thinks this odd, because he remembers being standing not too long ago. But the details of the memory are quickly fading along with the void. He shakes it off.

Aside from the heat emanating from the fire, Kurth notices two other sensations. The first is sweat. Under his leather armor he's drenched. He wonders how long he's been sitting in this heat. The second sensation is an overwhelming odor of burnt herbiage. He can't place the specific plant, but he suspects a vision herb. He shakes his head again, attempting to clear the effects of the smoke.
    Last edited by lukfugl; 2008-08-31 at 08:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Venderholfen

Confused, Venderholfen sits inside in front of the fire that seems to have materialized from nowhere. He glares around, trying to see what is causing this fog in his mind, finally turning to put his back to the fire, trying to see the limits of this effect, and if possible, a way out.

14. - Top - End - #14

[Aetheas]

The soft tingle of the pieces of coin jingled within a concealed purse as he sat down on his knees upon the lush grass. This human found no need to be standing any more, now that they were out of the void and into a clearing where this group could relax comfortably under the roof of this pyramidal, multi-skinned, all tanned tepee. The decor seemed simple enough for out in the wilderness. Although it was a nice change from the void.

"Well, I do suppose as long as we're together, it must be for a reason." Aetheas said with a minor bow to each of the beings in front of him. "Might as well get acquainted to each of other, then find out why, eh?"

His staff now lay at his knees, and his bag rested upon his right leg, laying on the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Isn't it a bad thing to let the PC's imagination's run wild in most circumstances?
    Characters:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

In a fit of boredom, Palin plunges his sword into the "floor" of the void, only to find it deep in the grass. He then furiously kicks the ground, then pulls out his previously gleaming blade, now covered in moist dirt, then wipes it down and wraps it in its sheathe. "Well then" he says as he slumps down onto the ground, "Who is this I see before me?"

16. - Top - End - #16

Spoiler
    Show

Isn't it a bad thing to let the PC's imagination's run wild in most circumstances?
    I would rather have the PCs create the world they are going to interact with than have them try to piece it all together from what I say. With time, you guys will understand the limits to which you may shape the world around you. In past experiences, I've had amazing sessions by using this technique. And it's always incredible how the little details they add make the biggest difference (because even if I had come up with those details, the PC probably won't remember it).
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Venderholfen

Perplexed as the shapeless force solidifies into grass benieth the half-elf, Venderholfen feels down benieth him, as if from memory, into a mat to sit upon. Slightly amazed, and starting to understand...Venderholfen reaches out, trying to see if the patch of shapelessness to his right can take form as a frosty mug of ale...

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I'll admit this is a first for this style of play...but I'd really feel better if we had some direction, rather then just floating in this limbo...
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2008-09-01 at 02:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

The stage is set, and the world around you feels real and complete. A flap of leather, left untethered to the poles used to keep the temporary structure erect, is pushed past as a short figure walks into the shelter. A Goblin Spellcaster of some form, carrying the blue mark on his left shoulder that the followers of Ervix Sputz wear proudly. He looks about and says: "Ah. Good. Most of us are here. This will work out just fine. When you are done packing up your things for the day, report to southern encampment for your patrol route. Bring your gear, but leave your teepee with Quartz Needlejuggler. This is going to be your first real task. We are starting to run low of carapace for making supplies. The forest we are next to is filled to the brim with the Crawly's. You will be asked to bring back atleast 10 shells as big as you are. If you find something bigger, see if you can't trap it, and kill it from afar. For the Crush!

With that, the goblin walks out of the tent.

Spoiler
    Show
    When your character is ready to go, please include a phrase to the effect of "later that morning" in addition to a description of the tribe as youwalk through it to the southern encampment.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Later that morning, after gathering his gear -- and putting on a relatively fresh tunic -- Kurth made his way through the tribe camps to the south encampment.

It always surprised him how many there were. He'd grown up in a small tribe; there had been maybe a dozen families, and they all camped together despite minor frictions. Here, the tribe was the size of a small town, including hundreds of individuals, of all sorts of races. The tribe was divided into several smaller camps of fifty to a hundred people each. Each camp was arranged in a roughly circular pattern with several tents and a common area; the separate camps were sparsely scattered across the clearing.

Eventually Kurth arrived at the southern encampment and located the camp supervisor, reporting for duty.

20. - Top - End - #20

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a reminder, there is a 1 post/per day minimum. I know everyone is enjoying their labor-day weekend, if in the States, but I don't want the game to stagnate.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Palin moved through the tribe, stopping to say hello to many of the people there. Everywhere he went, he found people working- tanning leather, carving wood, making food, always doing something productive. Even sleeping was work- it was to make sure the sleeper would keep producing. As he moved through, he talked with a woman roasting a rabbit about the nuances of flavor, he went and asked a man tanning some hide about the oils used in the process, and looked in huts and tents to find out what was happening inside, all the while chewing on some dried food or smoking his pipe. It was considered normal to most of the people in the tribe for him to peer over their shoulders and pry into their business at amoment's notice, though it did set some newcomers off. He really didn't care, as it was worth it so he could learn something new. Besides, if anyone got angry, he could always calm them down with his glib tongue. He made slow going to the southern encampment, even though he thought every moment was worth it. Finally he spotted the large (for the area) hut in the south area of the camp, and set to asking the supervisor of all aspects of the assignment.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Kenner

The elf struck the teepee he shared with his wolf companion quickly and efficiently and headed for Quartz's position. Kenner was pleased to be assigned a task of some import and grins broadly as he moves through the camp. "Finally, Smoke. We can begin to contribute and do something! My path is finally begun," he says. Smoke makes no reply, only looking at the elf briefly before returning his gaze to the surroundings.

The pair walked along, when Kenner heard the whoops and hollers and bellows of one of the rough and tumble lacrosse games played by the young men and women of Tree Crush and other tribes. Kenner joined in and scored a goal and received a minor bruise on his left cheek for his troubles. Nevertheless he departed laughing and grinning with a piece of jerky for himself and a piece of rawhide for Smoke.

Later that morning, he arrives at the southern encampment, refreshed and ready for his assignment.

23. - Top - End - #23

[Aetheas]

It would not take long for the healer to be all situated for the day. His staff in hand, all gear in his pack once more, and the pouch of coin tucked under his shirt.

Later that day-- Aetheas would come to the appointed place of meeting, with a small gesture of distanced greeting.
    Characters:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Venderholfen

Venderholfen liked to be ready for anything, and by the next morning, he too was packed up and ready to go. He did stop to join in the lacrosse game, and while he did clobber a few players accidentally while defending, his team lost. Not discouraged, he made sure to tuck away a bit more food into his pack before announcing himself ready to depart.

25. - Top - End - #25

Ugh. Gut Afturnuun. Me Chuj Master Akorn Wallbiter Said a large Hob Goblin who seems to have as many scars as he has pounds, and his booming voice could be heard from the far end of the camp, not that it was intelligible at that distance. The improved proximity did not improve comprehension. Yuo'ze go forest. Kill bigg bugs. Bring me bug skin. If yuo get loost, you die. So no come as ghost and annoy Grug Grug. Yuo'ze has 10 suns to not die. Ha ha ha...

With that, the large figure starts harrassing several other parties assigned different tasks. Shortly after the orders were given out, a young half elf steps towards the party. Sorry if that didn't make any sense. We leave in 10 days, and we need insect carapaces for trading and tools and such. You guys get to bring back several carapaces. It's that simple. Be careful though. The woods are dangerous, and there is no path to follow to get back. Getting lost will be the end for you.
    We need atleast 10 carapaces about as big as you are tall
    She points to the well muscled Demi-Orc If you get any big ones, be careful. Try to use your surroundings to your advantage, and trap him good.

Any questions?

Spoiler
    Show
    BTW. Grug is Orc for 'me' or 'myself'. Grug Grug is 'us' or 'we'
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-09-04 at 08:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Kenner

The young elven druid nods assent as the big hobgoblin attempts an explanation, followed by the half-elf translation. "Seems clear enough to me. Out and back with ten large carapaces in ten days," he shrugs. "Smoke and I between us should be able to find them, and getting back shouldn't be too much trouble afterwards!" Kenner beams.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does anyone have track? If not, neoseph7: would you allow me to swap Alertness for Track?

27. - Top - End - #27

Spoiler
    Show

Does anyone have track? If not, neoseph7: would you allow me to swap Alertness for Track?
    You will likely not need track to find these critters. What you will need is survival.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I'm set there (+8 mod). And Smoke can Track if we get something he can Scent from... Good to know!

29. - Top - End - #29

Spoiler
    Show
    Let the games be afoot. There is no map of the area, but I will give you guys a basic description of your surroundings. To the West is a long road (a path were vegetation doesn't grow from the foot traffic. Nothing paved) that runs North-South along the coast, which is a bit further to the west. The camp is streched out about 16 miles north to south, and as thick as 6 miles east to west in some places. To the East is the forest in question. Overland movement in the forest is cut by 1/2, so in a single day, a medium creature (30ft speed) could explore 12 miles in 8 hours (anything more would leave you fatigued). A character with speed 20 could only cover 8 miles. The slowest individual in the party sets the speed for the party. Rules for overland movement can be found in the PhB, chapter 9.

Asides from the convenient one I have sitting at my computor desk, there is no map of the area. Basically, you get to explore a certain number of square miles of terrain. (I'm using graph paper, btw, for those who want to make their own maps). The first step for the party is determining what direction they go in (the first one should be East, but I'm not the PC). At this point, I tell you what you find in the area, be it monsters, special plants, odd rocks, etc. You guys may want to describe the environment around you with certain details so that if you get back there, you will know where you are.

Knowing what direction you are going in is important. Out in the plains in broad daylight, the task is easy enough to not require a skill check (survival). In the forest, that is not the case. Mild failure of the check results in added time to your journey. Significant failure means you start going in the wrong direction, and don't realize it. (ie, you tell me you are heading west, and your check was so poor, you actually head south). The check is made a few times per day (morning, noon, and nightfall, not everytime you move to a new square), and it is made by me (so now would be a good time to tell me who has the highest survival check, and what their modifier is.) Night makes the check harder. (The DC btw, is 15 to not get lost. Failure by five or more is significant. Night adds 2 to the DC).

Ok. I know I missed something, but thats cause I'm l'tired. If something seems amiss, or if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. In game questions can still be asked to the young Half Elf.

The first step, again, is for the party to decide where they are going.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show
    Healer with +5 Survival, and one Speak with Animals spell ready.
    I do so hope I can go a while without needing that.

[Aetheas]

The healer would take a look around the rather motley group around him, those who'd eventually become his allies in short order. He was really trying to pick out those who appeared would need him the most. "10 carapaces in 10 moons? When is the exact deadline to return, like say... When the sun's last rays no longer shine upon our lands of the tenth moon, or the morning after that moon?"
    Characters: